Any - Made in England - elekie&a/c doctor
Following on from a previous thread about ancient battery chargers being made in England, we have recently renewed our central heating boiler together with a digital programmer / timer . The removed timer was the old style rotary clock variety with adjustable “fingers” . Still worked perfectly when removed . I checked inside the case and it was dated 1988 . I think I’ve had my money’s worth .
Any - Made in England - madf

\We installed our Potterton boiler in 1983. It is still operational.

Mind you it has had 1 new pump and 2 new rotary timers and three thermostats over 37 years..

I did the sums. The cost of a new boiler offests the gas savings as modern boilers have a design life of 10 years...at best..

Edited by madf on 16/05/2020 at 19:07

Any - Made in England - Steveieb

My heating engineer told me that all new boilers have parts made in China whether they have a familiar name or not . Even the Which recommended boiler has a life expectancy of ten years.

His motto keep the old boiler and pay the additional gas bill.

Any - Made in England - John F

Our last house (1980 - 2011) had a Wilson Wallflame boiler circa 1970) which (serviced only by me) was still working when we moved. It required only one new part, the bearing of the spinner which threw the oil onto the cylindrical wall. Its electrics, timer and thermostat control never went wrong. I just hope our current 2009 Grant Vortex Eco oil burner lasts as long. It's much more efficient - especially with fuel oil down to 20p a litre!

Any - Made in England - badbusdriver

When we moved into our house, there was a White Knight gas tumble dryer, which said on the front, "made in Britain"!.

Any - Made in England - focussed

When we moved into our house, there was a White Knight gas tumble dryer, which said on the front, "made in Britain"!.

We have a White Knight electric tumble dryer which we bought from an english couple here in France for the princely sum of £20 ten years ago just after we got here.

It has no electronics just a good old rotary timer, manual witches and just keeps tumbling on, a bit grubby and battered looking but it's in the barn not the house.

I service it and clean it out yearly and long may it continue to tumble!

Any - Made in England - alan1302

My heating engineer told me that all new boilers have parts made in China whether they have a familiar name or not . Even the Which recommended boiler has a life expectancy of ten years.

What was the expected life expectancy of a boiler made 20 years ago?

Any - Made in England - Andrew-T

<< What was the expected life of a boiler made 20 years ago? >>

The combi boiler here is dated 1999 and is still going after a couple of interventions. At 15 years old an internal leak developed in the heat exchanger, and it also had a replacement ballast reservoir (which may have been unnecessary). Then the fan became noisy, and just this week the pressure gauge has stuck. But it still provides hot water and central heating - i've no idea what its forecast life was, but it is probably less than the old-style floor-mounted boilers which had no PCB to fail just outside the 12-month warranty.

What was the expected life expectancy of a boiler made 20 years ago?

As many had PCBs mounted where the first leak would cover them in water , or cheap condensers that failed regularly - and capacitors which lasted 5 years.... not more than 10 years..

(And often fitted by cowboys with exhaust water condensate run through pipes running horizontally outside and dreezing up in winter and stopping the boiler...)

Any - Made in England - Engineer Andy

Only 10 years? I think you mean it has a 10 year warranty, which is patently not the same as as an economic lifespan. Decent quality combi boilers should last a minimum of 15 years, maybe 20 or more with a good wind, especially if you live in an area that has soft water (failing DWH heat exchangers are a major cause of failures).

That being said, if your existing 'old style' boiler has available a decent and reasonably-priced, quality set of parts and plumbers are OK to maintain it, then unless its well under 65% efficient, then it's worth keep it until it either becomes uneconomic to keep going, the parts drop in quality/are extrememly hard to get hold of or plumbers won't maintain them because the boiler is unusual in design and thus few are trained to maintain them.

I changed my Range (Potterton bought the design) Powermax 140 last autumn because of those problems I noted above - only one plumber in the area was even willing to work on it (the next nearest comes from 75 miles away, though he is an expert) and even then he wasn't trained on it (its a unique design) and due to safety-related issues with this type of unit, most plumbers won't go near it, even servicing.

Just to change such a boiler in an easy-to-work on location would've cost between £2k for an average quality boiler or up to £2.5k for a good'un in a flat or small house (add between £500 and £2k for houses, especially with a non-combi system to change).

Mine was in a very difficult to install area (including no drain nearby) and thus, with the addition of a lengthy pumped condesnsate drain, cost me £3.2k all-in, admitedly including an uprated boiler (probably costing me an extra £250), DHW capacity-wise (I won't bore you with why).

The upshot is that I could've spend best part of £750 just to keep the old (dying) one going, given how expensive the parts were, and they aren't that reliable either. I was lucky that I already had an emergency electric fan heater because the old boiler was out of action for nearly 3 weeks - no hot water and having to go to the local swimming pool for showers (good bit of exercise in the pool though) and huge electric bills.

I was fortunate that my plumber could fit me in to install a new boiler (a Vaillant - German design, assembled up North), especially given the busy time of year and what then followed with COVID-19. It had a number of teething problems in the frist few months of operation (its on its third gas valve - Honeywell units, so they 'should' be good quality [the current one appear to be working fine - the other two only lasted a month each] - and it's on it's second controller [own brand]). Luckily I paid the extra for a 10 year all-inclusive (well, except the controller, which has only a 2 year warranty) warranty, so not costs to me other than a few days using the electric heater when the gas valve failed.

My gas bills (I have a gas hob as well) have dropped from £40pm to £28pm because I've taken full advantage of the very high efficiency mode for DHW production at 40degC and ramping down the heating flow temperature to the minimum needed so it can stay in condensing mode as much as possible.

All that being said, saving £12pm (£144pa) means that, assuming I kept both boilers for another 15 years (unlikely for the old one) and how often/much servicing and maintenenace costs, I might just break even over the life of the new boiler. Where I will save significantly is when that one gets replaced - all the expensive new flue, piping and condensate arrangements can be far more easily replaced (or left, as required/allowed) - the old boiler was a real pain to remove - so I would save best part of £1k on the 3rd gen installation, assuming gas boilers were still being sold in 2034 or so.

It's rather like choosing when to replace your old car with a new one.

Whilst most parts are likely to have been made in China, etc, the design/quality control is more important. There does appear to have been a dip in quality as regards a good few makes nearer the top of late - Worcester (Bosch), Vaillant and Viessmann are still ahed of the rest, but my unit's issues and neighbours' problems with the WB units (Viessmann good but harder to get parts/expensive) mean that if the middle-ranked makes, especially British designed and made like Baxi/Potterton and Ideal can make inroads if they can up their game, as their boilers are often 10-15% cheaper to buy, and are now often matching the warranties of the top brands.

Whether the backlash over COVID-19 against China actually translates into more electronics and mechanical components being made elsewhere (especially in the UK/Europe) is another matter, given it will surely increase the prices for such equipment by some margin.

My parent's 'old' Ideal Mexico boiler is still going strong (no major faults, on its second controller) after nearly 24 years of service - like many others, I recommended they keep it going unless it falls foul of my criteria, even though its nowhere near as efficient as a modern boiler. Most basic type boilers, especially non-condensing ones can, given a fair wind last 25-30 years easily if well maintained. Their previous one lasted 35 years.

As you may have guessed, I am bored today. :-)

Edited by Engineer Andy on 17/05/2020 at 16:17

Any - Made in England - Joe-Alex

Reminds me of this broom I had. Lasted me 20 years that did. Only had to replace the handle twice and the brush 6 times!

Any - Made in England - Falkirk Bairn

My current boiler is not yet 2 years old - it replaced one installed in 1984 - parts required in 34 years - several fans, 2 water pumps, 1 boiler thermostat - Made in Yorkshire

The thermostat in the hall dates from 1972 - Honeywell Made in Scotland. The chap that put in the new boiler was of the opinion if it isn't broken just leave it.

Any - Made in England - thunderbird

At the old house we had a Baxi Bermuda back boiler fitted in 1997 to replace the coal boiler that was fitted in 1981.

Over the 16 years it was in the house the coal boiler had 2 new boiler bodies fitted and several hopper gaskets (all funded by myself).

The Baxi gas boiler had 2 replacement heat exchangers fitter in the first year (warranty to cure "kettling") and another heat exchanger fitted after about 17 years when it started to leak (service contract repair).

At the new house we have a Vaillant EcoTec combi which we had fitted as part of the work carried out when we bought the house. The existing boiler was too small but later we found out it had also been incredibly troublesome (12 year old wall mounted Baxi). Over those years we found receipts for 5 new PCB's, 3 3 port valves and 2 pumps. All seem to have been done under the service contract.

Cannot see how the new Vaillant can be less reliable than the others (which were all British).

The thermostat in the hall dates from 1972 - Honeywell Made in Scotland. The chap that put in the new boiler was of the opinion if it isn't broken just leave it.

That 'stat must be a bimetallic-strip model ? Our present house had one when we moved in 14 years ago. I found it had a dead-band of about two degrees, so the response was very slow. Replaced it with a digital version which is far better, detects temp changes every few minutes. You might consider doing the same.

That 'stat must be a bimetallic-strip model ? Our present house had one when we moved in 14 years ago. I found it had a dead-band of about two degrees, so the response was very slow. Replaced it with a digital version which is far better, detects temp changes every few minutes. You might consider doing the same.

We had a stat in the hall at the old house and it totally useless. From the click that turned it on to the click that turned it off was about 6 degrees, pointless in the extreme.

The stat in this house was electronic according to the cover but looked like the old mechanical one. Since we never used it no idea if it had a different range of operation.

The thermostat/programmer we have now is very good. The range can be set between 0.2 and 1 degree according to taste. We have it at 0.4 degrees (after experimentation) and it keeps the house at a pretty constant temp.

Any - Made in England - Octane

Our Ideal Mexico Slimline CF55 was installed in 1985 and has yet to require any replacement parts. It has consumed 611 MWh since installation. Sadly the original SMC comet2 pump expired just before the covid shutdown and I have yet to replace it because the valves are solid and I fear the damage I may inflict on the pipework. I shall wait until I have easier access to a diy store for unforseen requirements. Fortunately the cylinder is gravity feed so its ok for the summer (13kW per day as it was when new).

Our Ideal Mexico Slimline CF55 was installed in 1985 and has yet to require any replacement parts. It has consumed 611 MWh since installation. Sadly the original SMC comet2 pump expired just before the covid shutdown and I have yet to replace it because the valves are solid and I fear the damage I may inflict on the pipework. I shall wait until I have easier access to a diy store for unforseen requirements. Fortunately the cylinder is gravity feed so its ok for the summer (13kW per day as it was when new).

That is impressive.

I am sure - like our 37 year old Potterton Kinfisher boiler- that it has no PCBs and the only electrical parts are a gas contol vlave and thermostat.

<< I am sure - like our 37 year old Potterton Kinfisher boiler- that it has no PCBs and the only electrical parts are a gas control valve and thermostat. >>

We had one in our last house. It's nice to save money keeping these old lumps going, but one problem is that those savings may be cancelled out by their relative inefficiency.

It's nice to save money keeping these old lumps going, but one problem is that those savings may be cancelled out by their relative inefficiency.

A few examples:

Old house (1932) we lived in until 2016. 3 bed semi, about 1000 sq ft and had a back boiler which was about 19 years old, annual gas usage was approx 1500m3 which is approx 16500 kwh. At our current tariff of 2.4 p per kwh annual bill would be £396.

Current property (1955) was about 1100 sq ft when we bought it and had a wall mounted non-condensing boiler which was about 13 years old. Being a bungalow it was not as energy efficient as a house and from old bills the annual usage was about 1800m3, approx 19800 kwh, current annual cost £475.

We had the property extended with a loft conversion, conservatory etc, now its about 1600 sq ft. Our annula usage so far has averaged about 1100 m3 with the Vaillant combi, approx 12100 m3, annual cost £290.

Thus we are spending about £100 less at the current property than the old one but about £185 less than they were spending at the current property [re extensions (but no idea how hot they had it of course).

Considering the cost of a boiler replacement you would never recoup that on gas savings unless you expected both boilers to have lasted probably 20 years or more, unlikely.

OK, its better for the planet but in real terms only better for us because we had to fit a new boiler since the old one was too small for the extended property.