post Covid - Future Air Travel - Ethan Edwards

So the message I'm getting is its going to be expensive more faffing about in airports. And given the upcoming recession the demand for air travel is projected to be much much less.

My question. Do you think we still need more capacity at Heathrow? Another runway? Personally I think more capacity should be in Stanstead., but it might not be needed for ten years. Given it takes us 50 years to actually build a mile or so of runway whats the point anyway,?

Ditto HS2...we seem to be struggling to build Crossrail and that's a disgrace. Perhaps we ought to let China or Japan build HS2 they get stuff done. That is if its actualy needed. We could have a Shinkansen of our own.

post Covid - Future Air Travel - Andrew-T

Whatever else you may think about Covid-19, air pollution has dwindled almost everywhere, which can only be a big plus. As many people will be less willing to travel cooped up with lots of others, air travel may take some time to build up again. Personally I hope it never does, given the continually worsening hassle airports have become.

And of course global air travel is the main cause for the pandemic in the first place. I agree about HS2, it is an insult to continue to pour billions into that while the economy tries to absorb Covid.

post Covid - Future Air Travel - badbusdriver

We last travelled abroad in 2016, went to Mallorca. This involved flying from Aberdeen to Heathrow, then Heathrow to Palma. The whole airport thing absolutely did my head in, so crowded, so stressful, so much sitting about trying to push in time!. I pretty much decided then that were i ever to go abroad on holiday again, it would only be somewhere i could fly direct from Aberdeen. With the Covid situation, while there are folk (including my neighbour, who can't wait to go abroad, taking advantage of what is likely to be very good deals) itching to go abroad again, not for me!. I'm not going to say i'll never go abroad again, but it has even less appeal now than what it did after that last trip!.

But i absolutely agree that spending huge sums of money on things like the third runway, and HS2, when we can't provide enough PPE for the NHS staff, ventilators for patients (both of which were flagged up after a pandemic 'exercise' a few years ago) and hoplessly inadequate testing facilities.

post Covid - Future Air Travel - Bromptonaut

But i absolutely agree that spending huge sums of money on things like the third runway, and HS2, when we can't provide enough PPE for the NHS staff, ventilators for patients (both of which were flagged up after a pandemic 'exercise' a few years ago) and hoplessly inadequate testing facilities.

I think you're comparing bananas with elephants. HS2 and the new runway at LHR are long term infrastructure projects to relieve pinch points. The existing lines out of London were, pre covid full and Heathrow the same. It's likely that, by the time they're realised, the current set ups will be back at capacity.

There is also a strong argument on Keynsian grounds for big projects to help get the economy moving.

post Covid - Future Air Travel - Andrew-T

<< I think you're comparing bananas with elephants. >>

We are basically talking about money, which both bananas and elephants cost. As one can buy a shedload of bananas for the price of one elephant, it may be prudent to delay buying the elephant for the time being. We may even find we don't really need the elephant later, when it turns out to be white.

post Covid - Future Air Travel - Joe-Alex

The Japanese are absolute machines when it comes to construction. I've seen them change a railway track section overnight (time-lapsed video, they were like ants, each with their specific role) and I've seen them repair a collapsed bridge in a week. Their work ethic is astounding.

post Covid - Future Air Travel - John F

The Japanese are absolute machines when it comes to construction.

And the Chinese. I suggest googling how chinese build high speed railways to be amazed by their civil engineering ability. Their viaduct construction and track laying machines are truly awesome. Much of their HS rail is in a concrete trough viaduct which cuts down noise and has little impact on the farmland and roads below it. Can't understand why our HS is mainly at ground level with all the expense and inconvenience that entails in making it level and providing so many crossing points.

post Covid - Future Air Travel - Joe-Alex

The Japanese are absolute machines when it comes to construction.

And the Chinese. I suggest googling how chinese build high speed railways to be amazed by their civil engineering ability. Their viaduct construction and track laying machines are truly awesome. Much of their HS rail is in a concrete trough viaduct which cuts down noise and has little impact on the farmland and roads below it. Can't understand why our HS is mainly at ground level with all the expense and inconvenience that entails in making it level and providing so many crossing points.

I agree that the Chinese can also rapidly construct railways (and, obviously, hospitals), but they have three things massively in their favour:

1. The government's human rights laws and procedures are extremely lax and any obstacles (literal; think current landowners) can be moved with minimum issue.

2. The average wage is much lower than most developed countries.

3. The regime in charge is authoritarian and therefore can bypass much of the bureaucracy that hampers most modern governments.

That said, the machine you were referring to (I am assuming you mean the beam carrying machine with 18 axles) is magnificent. I've always been in awe at the design and pure 'strength' of these vehicles.