Fly tipped car parts traced back to fly tipper. - focussed

A report outlined how the fly tipper was traced somehow from the original owner of the car.

The original owner sold the car to the fly tipper.

How is this possible? Date or other codes on plastic parts?

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/breckland-council-fine-man-responsible-for-dumped-car-parts-1-6695424

Fly tipped car parts traced back to fly tipper. - madf

Vin or chassis number

Fly tipped car parts traced back to fly tipper. - Andrew-T

Vin or chassis number

You might think that, but I don't see any part of a vehicle in the photos which might have a VIN anywhere.

Fly tipped car parts traced back to fly tipper. - Bromptonaut

There may have been more items dumped than shown in the pictures, or at least those selected for publication. These could have included the VIN or even the registration.

In my car the VIN is not just in the scuttle 'window' but on the door cill and (IIRC) a data sheet in the spare wheel well. Even if the VIN's not on that sheet there's probably enough for the factory or the UK import arm of Skoda to tie it to one vehicle.

Or as Focussed says the manufacturer tag on plastic parts, carpets, seats or a host of other bits might have been enough.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/06/2020 at 09:42

Fly tipped car parts traced back to fly tipper. - thunderbird

I had a classic Fly Tipping experience when the Hairdressers at the shop next to one we rented reported us to the council for fly tipping behind their shop. We did not have bins at that unit, we did a weekly van runs to bins on another site (not enough waste to justify expense) so knew it was not us.

So I arranged a meeting with the council at the shop. They went next door and the owners showed them the waste we had been dumping and whilst I was amazed, the council chap was lost for words. As I said above their unit was a hair salon and most of the waste was empty product bottles. A little more investigation and they found invoices/ delivery notes with their names/addresses on.

The council told me that they would be investigating further but not to expect any action to be taken against us. We had a letter a few days later confirming that we should disregard the previous letter since their investigation had led them to an alternative source of the waste.

Fly tipped car parts traced back to fly tipper. - bathtub tom

I once tried to trace a vehicle involved in a hit and run that left part of its plastic bumper behind. The part number on it revealed the make, model and year. The colour was obvious. Despite wandering the surrounding area I drew a blank.

Fly tipped car parts traced back to fly tipper. - Brit_in_Germany

I expect some of the parts had manufacturers' internal component tracking codes which they were then able to associate with the VIN.

Fly tipped car parts traced back to fly tipper. - Joe-Alex

Vin or chassis number

You might think that, but I don't see any part of a vehicle in the photos which might have a VIN anywhere.

It's likely we are not seeing the entirety of the tipping.