Wonderful TV drama haven't seen for years. - gordonbennet

As i might have mentioned before, i have DVD's of the real versions of Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People at home, and once every couple of years treat myself to a re-run.

Have finished watching something, on Youtube, i haven't seen for some 35 years, namely The Jewel in the Crown.

The whole series is there on Youtube, put up by a chap called Daniel Evans, marvellous to revisit and i've now realised i missed the last episode first time around, my life was in turmoil around that time so hardly surprising i missed and never realised, Geraldine James and Charles Damce in some very fine early performances.

Must find my copies of Blott on the Landscape again now, Geraldine James and a very young David Suchet in cracking form.

Anything else in serialised form you found again.

Wonderful TV drama haven't seen for years. - bathtub tom

Still game.

All episodes on you tube.

Wonderful TV drama haven't seen for years. - concrete

I though Tinker Tailor was such a great series and very well told for a complicated plot. Just might dig it out and watch again. Recently watched Band of Brothers again. Another great story and well told with interviews with the actual combatants. It made me so proud of my parents generation to go through all that and recover and thrive afterwards. I also watched Pie in the Sky again too. Whimsical but Richard Griffiths is such a pleasure to watch.

Well done GB, got me thinking now!

Cheers Concrete

Wonderful TV drama haven't seen for years. - Engineer Andy

Indeed - the current dearth of good TV and film means our DVD and Blu-Ray collections are being used quite a bit.

I'm currently re-watching my entire boxset collection of ER (makes all other hospital dramas look naff, well, up to about season 11), recently finished the 1995 adaptation of Pride & Prejudice and Babylon 5, plus an occasional film from my collection.

To me, re-watching films and TV that are well written, acted, produced and don't indulge in political correctness just shows what we've been missing, not just for the past few months, but for the better part of the last 10 years.

I miss the 1990s.

Wonderful TV drama haven't seen for years. - gordonbennet

Going to subject SWMBO to an evening of Terrahawks, yes got the whole lot on DVD.

Might sound an evening of hell to some, but the humour is way over the heads of children, the political incorrectness refreshing especially the gentle stereotyping, but most of all the great late Windor Davies voicing over Sgt Major Zero, the chief Zeroid (football sized and shaped soldier robot.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/09/2020 at 11:09

Yes it is a mystery of modern times. 50 or so times the number of channels of 20 years ago and the most appalling, banal and simplistic pile of puerile rubbish it is imaginable to have thrust upon us. What happened to programme making with real content and cogent subjects? I cannot for the life of me wonder why any broadcaster would increase their output by simply spreading out what good there is and filling the voids with utter rubbish. Love Island, TOWIE and any number of others which are indescribable t***.

I normally end up watching through catch-up or Netflix etc for box sets or movies, otherwise there is nowt to see. Some nights I give up and enjoy a good read instead. Last night I watched a great movie, 'The Wind and the Lion'. Probably late 70's or early 80's. A really good interesting adventure story with Sean Connery and the gorgeous Candice Bergen. What a beauty she is in the movie. Cheered me up no end.

Cheers Concrete

Wonderful TV drama haven't seen for years. - corax

Last night I watched a great movie, 'The Wind and the Lion'. Probably late 70's or early 80's. A really good interesting adventure story with Sean Connery and the gorgeous Candice Bergen.

My favourite Sean Connery film was The Hill, a gritty masterpiece. I have it on DVD.

I caught a few episodes of Edge of Darkness with Bob Peck on some channel, can't remember which, but it was as good as I remember.

Yes, I saw The Hill at the cinema. Circa 1968? Good movie and I will watch it again soon. My favourite was 'The Man who would be King' a really good movie with Michael Caine.

Edge of Darkness was good, when I eventually figured out what was going on. Bob Peck was very good, pity he died quite young. The re-make was quite poor as I recall and I gave up on it after an episode or two.

I intend to watch 'The Avengers' which is getting a re-run of a few episodes to mark the sad death of Diana Rigg. By she was a beauty and no mistake and if she had played her cards right............

Cheers Concrete