Nissan X-Trail - Trouble starting - but the battery's as strong as - NickSh

Hi. My diesel 2012 X-Trail struggles to start, but only ever on the first time I use it every day. The battery seems strong and will turn the engine over for a minute or more.

The problem exists at all temperatures but gets worse the cooler it gets. Yesterday was -4c and I had to bump start it off the drive, which is the first time that's happened.

My usual mechanic thought it might be the glow plugs but tested them and they were fine.

Once it's been running for a few seconds it'll start again no problem and will give me no bother for the rest of the day.

Can anyone think of anything it might be, before I take it to another garage and get scalped?

Thanks.

Nissan X-Trail - Trouble starting - but the battery's as strong as - elekie&a/c doctor
The battery may seem strong, but it may not be cranking the engine fast enough . It could be the original battery . I would get it tested properly with a battery tester that does a conductance test . If it’s 2012 battery, I would consider replacement. If it’s not the original, make sure it’s the right specification. Very often owners use a sub standard part .
Nissan X-Trail - Trouble starting - but the battery's as strong as - Railroad.

Firstly the primary purpose of the glow plugs on a direct injection diesel engine is not for cold starting, unlike on an indirect injection engine. It's for improved emissions and noise reduction when the engine is running cold. However, they do switch on for preheating when the outside air temperature is below 0°C.

Check to see if there's white/grey smoke puffing from the exhaust when you crank the engine from cold. If there isn't then fuel is not being injected, and most likely you have a fuel drain back to the tank overnight. If there is smoke then the inducted air may not reaching the temperature required for the fuel to vapourise. In this case you could have low compression. Or you could have a restricted air intake or a stuck open EGR valve which would give a lack of air or lack of oxygen due to drawn back exhaust gas.

Nissan X-Trail - Trouble starting - but the battery's as strong as - elekie&a/c doctor
Excellent information. The op states that it started ok with a bump ?

This is excellent, thanks all.

Yes, started fine when bumped and runs fine all day once it's been going a few seconds. The girl drain thing makes sense, will check for the white smoke.

This is excellent, thanks all.

Yes, started fine when bumped and runs fine all day once it's been going a few seconds. The girl drain thing makes sense, will check for the white smoke.

*fuel (!)

If it started ok with a bump, cant see this being a fuel drain back issue.

Nissan X-Trail - Trouble starting - but the battery's as strong as - ardeen
Did you get this issue resolved? I have the exact same issue, the battery is not the cause in my case but not sure what to check next.
Nissan X-Trail - Trouble starting - but the battery's as strong as - leaseman

The OP has not posted on the Forum for 4 years, so I doubt that you will receive a response from them.