Which taps for cloakroom? - Trilogy.

We're in need of a pair of new taps for our cloakroom wash basin. Looking for a decent make but relatively inexpensive. Thinking of Swirl or Bristan. Which would be best?

Which taps for cloakroom? - elekie&a/c doctor
Just fitted a new sink unit in our downstairs toilet, and had new kitchen last year . Bristan all the time .
Which taps for cloakroom? - _

Beautiful Bristan mixer tap and control in our double shower.

AB fab as is said...

Which taps for cloakroom? - FP

We changed all our taps a couple of years ago. All but the kitchen and utility sinks now have a Bristan minimalist design - look good and functional.

So it's another vote for Bristan.

Which taps for cloakroom? - Trilogy.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, Bristan it is.

Which taps for cloakroom? - skidpan

We had Bristam taps in the kitchen of the old house when we had work done. Over 10 years we had about 4 replacement ceramic inserts which Bristam supplied FOC.

At the current property we used Bristam taps and shower mixers in both bathrooms and kitchen when we did the refurb. So far in just over 4 years we have had 6 new inserts in one bath mixer and one in a sink mixer, again Bristam have supplied replacements FOC.

In the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms at the previous house I fitted Tantara taps and mixers. Between 1983 and 2017 I had to fit one new washer to stop a tap dripping.

Seems to me that Bristam are not that reliable but happy to keep replacing parts if you ask.

Which taps for cloakroom? - Engineer Andy

I suspect that they won't keep replacing those cartridges FOC, only for the first year or two. Any decent-length product 'warranty' only extends to the non-consumable parts, rather like a car and its clutch where the latter has a very short warranty.

Like with inkjet printers, many tap manufacturers make most of their profits out of selling the initial whole product cheap and charging a relatively high amount for the cosumable parts.

I replaced my OEM kitchen mixer tap with a 'Just Taps' one, as I noted many negative reviews from Bristan tap owners, specifically about the ceramic cartridges and dripping taps/how long the cartridges lasted. Ironically, the supposedly 'top' quality make of Grohe wasn't much better on that front, and the price of their replacement cartridges is even more expensive.

Sometimes I think that taps with ceramic cartridges are more trouble (and expense) than they're worth, especially as two of my other taps (bathroom WHB) are stilll on the OEM washers after 18 years.

You're lucky if a ceramic cartridge lasts 3-4 years these days, and there are so many small variants that mean they are expensive due to little standardisation.

Which taps for cloakroom? - concrete

If possible get taps with a jumper and washer. Much more reliable than ceramic discs. Even in areas with minimal lime scale in the water even a small deposit can cause a problem. Whatever you do if you fit any type of new type also fit a method of isolation. Makes maintenance easier in future. Bristan are good but there are others too. Peglers make decent taps but a lot depends on the design SWMBO wants. The design may not be available with a jumper/washer system. We have cascade taps in the bathroom which are attractive and functional and a Bristan shower mixer which is fine. generally the more you pay the better the engineering on the tap.

Cheers Concrete

Which taps for cloakroom? - bathtub tom

I live in a hard water area and limescale is the killer for ceramic washer taps. Flow rate is another disadvantage. I've found it impossible to obtain any other type. Interestingly, I did once find something on youtube instructing how to remove limescale from ceramic discs.

Which taps for cloakroom? - skidpan

I suspect that they won't keep replacing those cartridges FOC, only for the first year or two. Any decent-length product 'warranty' only extends to the non-consumable parts

The Bristam warranty is for 5 years providing you register your products. The taps in our upstairs bathroom and kitchen are now just over 5 years old but those downstairs bathroom are just coming up 3 years so a bit of warranty left.

The kitchen taps at the old house were well over 5 years old and they still kept sending us new cassettes without me even registering the warranty.

Which taps for cloakroom? - Ethan Edwards

Our plumber swears by Bristan. So that's what we buy.

Which taps for cloakroom? - Engineer Andy

I suspect that they won't keep replacing those cartridges FOC, only for the first year or two. Any decent-length product 'warranty' only extends to the non-consumable parts

The Bristam warranty is for 5 years providing you register your products. The taps in our upstairs bathroom and kitchen are now just over 5 years old but those downstairs bathroom are just coming up 3 years so a bit of warranty left.

The kitchen taps at the old house were well over 5 years old and they still kept sending us new cassettes without me even registering the warranty.

Good to know for the next time I need a replacement. I wonder how many makes state X or Y years warranty and mean it for the entire product? Quite rare these days.

Which taps for cloakroom? - concrete

I live in a hard water area and limescale is the killer for ceramic washer taps. Flow rate is another disadvantage. I've found it impossible to obtain any other type. Interestingly, I did once find something on youtube instructing how to remove limescale from ceramic discs.

It is difficult to find taps that have the jumper and washer system. They are available but they tend to be limited in design, usually the old fashioned tap heads which of course never suits SWMBO. My plea for function over form fell on deaf ears. I think if she had to replace or repair them herself this would change. I replaced a Franke mixer tap for a standard washer one at my previous house. Free discs from Franke never really worked well for any length of time. You pays your money etc etc......

Cheers Concrete