Sym Wild Wolf 125 (Honda CB 125 clone) - Continuity across battery cables - edlithgow

I broke it by reverse connecting the battery cables a couple of years ago, fiddled around with it fruitlessly (and cluelessly) and gave up.

Now have bit of time and an online manual and am having another go.

According to my notes from last attempt it was blowing 10 amp inline fuses.

Using a multimeter it now shows continuity between the battery cables, key off, without the fuse.

Can I assume this isn't normal and indicates a short?

If that is the case, it might be useful to attempt to find it.

4WIW, a borrowed working Suzuki scooter (only immediately available comparison) does not show continuity between the battery cables, with key on or off.

Sym Wild Wolf 125 (Honda CB 125 clone) - Continuity across battery cables - craig-pd130

Yes, continuity with key off and no main fuse must mean a short to earth on the positive side somewhere. If the bike has electric start, then usually the only live feeds on the positive side are to the starter solenoid and ignition switch/lock. If it's kickstart only, then it will be in the positive wire to the ignition switch.

Sym Wild Wolf 125 (Honda CB 125 clone) - Continuity across battery cables - edlithgow

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Some components are missing, suggesting its been scavenged for parts while it was looking abandoned, irritating but understandable, and likely to add to what was already looking to be a big bill.

Still, keep positive (on the positive).