Sir Clive Sinclair RIP - Xileno

Sir Clive has died aged 81. I have many happy memories of the ZX Spectrum. Always thought the C5 looked a bit dangerous but demonstrated what could be done.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58587521

Sir Clive Sinclair RIP - bathtub tom

A flawed genius. Had some great ideas that were never quite practical. I recall the first (LED) calculator, you needed to replace batteries at very short intervals, same with the watch. It still made him a millionaire.

Reminds me of Lawrie Bond of Bond three wheeler cars (NOT the Bond Bug - that was a Reliant). He may have been the inventor of the roof box and jet ski.

Sir Clive Sinclair RIP - misar

As a lad he ripped me off with one of his earliest offerings. It was a kit to build a tiny transistor radio. The thing didn't work but the instructions said they would fix it if you returned your effort with a postal order for more than the price of the kit. Years later I read a book by one of the guys who worked for him. None of the kits worked because they bought up dud components on the cheap. If anybody returned their radio it was binned and Mr Sinclair sent you one built with proper parts. I remember a feeling of satisfaction when Alan Sugar bought up the remains of Sinclair's empire. Two Del Boys but at least Sugar was open about it.

Sir Clive Sinclair RIP - Falkirk Bairn

I must have donated some £600+ to the Sinclair brand - 3 Sinclair computers over a period of 5/6 years. The 3 boys then went on to gaming machines Sega, Nintendo .... the machines were more expensive and the slot in games even more so. They were infinitely better and almost guaranteed the game would load in a few seconds compared the Sinclair and tape recorder marriage.

It was carrot & stick approach to child rearing - very few arguments with their behaviour / attitude to schoolwork etc etc over the years but mostly carrots, in the form of computers & bikes, handed out for doing well at school.