Sewage Discharge - sammy1

So the UK government has to be shamed by some of its own MPs to change its views on sewage discharge into the nations rivers and seas. This has been going on since the Humans used to throw their waste into the streets in the pre Victorian era. This basic poisoning of our environment is harming untold species of plant and animals beside the many humans who enjoy our rivers and seas.

One has to wonder how serious the UK and other nations are in their efforts to control climate change when it all comes down to money.

Sewage Discharge - wrangler_rover
Oh, the government is very serious in their efforts to control climate change, provided.
Their efforts don't cost anything to themselves or their mates.
People like us, Joe Public, bear all of the expense through high fuel bills including green surcharges, being forced to take up so called green cars and green heat pump based heating systems.
They can attend the shindig next week in Glasgow and be slapped on the back for appearing to be a great statesman by implemementing green measures.

Compared to the big polluting nations, whatever the UK does to reduce global warming, carbon footprints etc is minuscule.

My late father told me that in the 1960s, one President in the USSR referred to the UK as "That aircraft carrier Britain" which I interpreted as the UK was considered insignificant on the world stage.
Sewage Discharge - Bromptonaut

Interesting items covering this on the radio over the last couple of days while the bill was pinging back and forth between the Houses. As ever it's more complex than the headlines would have us believe.

The water companies are allowed to divert stuff into watercourses or the sea in certain conditions.

In large areas, if not the whole of the UK, rainwater finds its way into the same main sewers as foul water from our toilets etc. Because of development and other factors, of which paving over gardens for car parking is one, quantities of run off water are increasing. Without getting into a debate about causation what we used to call cloudbursts and longer periods of very heavy rain are increasing.

There comes a point where the waste water plants are at risk of being overwhelmed. If that happens then not only do settlement tanks etc overflow but also the excess water can destroy the biological process by which foul waste is broken down. Under those circumstances then 'force majeure' means that to save the plants the operators need to divert the incoming flow into by pass pipes/weirs so that raw sewage - complete with poo, condoms and tampons - goes into watercourses or the sea.

Putting that right, and the systems are legacies from Victoria onwards, will be a long term project costing billions. It's not just a tap that can be turned off.

But, the water companies, sometimes at a junior level and driven by 'targets' are opening the by pass channels too often and without due cause. Southern Water were recently fined millions for incidents of that nature along the South Coast around the Chichester area.

Legislation should be incentivising the companies to invest in systems that don't overflow but also to ensure they plan better to avoid careless overflows.

Sewage Discharge - Bolt

Legislation should be incentivising the companies to invest in systems that don't overflow but also to ensure they plan better to avoid careless overflows.

Not sure careless overflows can be avoided as the volume of water we have been getting is, as we know, not being handled at all in places, and will not be until more is spent on helping the water clear a lot faster than it can be now.

fining in my opinion is taking money from them that should be used to improve the system though even then I doubt the volume of water/rain we get can be cleared as quick as we would like, rainfall around the country tells us imo we need more than an upgrade in water clearing, and doubt it will improve, so now they should concentrate on stopping building on flood plains which I doubt will happen?

Sewage Discharge - Bromptonaut

fining in my opinion is taking money from them that should be used to improve the system though even then I doubt the volume of water/rain we get can be cleared as quick as we would like, rainfall around the country tells us imo we need more than an upgrade in water clearing, and doubt it will improve, so now they should concentrate on stopping building on flood plains which I doubt will happen?

There may be something in the argument that the generality of regulator fines moves money away from investment. The reality however is that they probably only invest where required to do so - see the ongoing saga of Thames Water and leaks. The regulator should ensure that fines hit the company where it hurts; on the bottom line.

The Southern Water case involved egregious and cynical behaviour and followed conviction:

www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Southe...f

Sewage Discharge - Falkirk Bairn

A son used to work for a North Sea O&G company.

They had a problems on a rig where 40 tons of polluted water went into the North Sea mid way between Scotland & Norway.

Up before the Government Agency that monitors "events" the company were fined £150,000 despite my son emphasising in "court" the minor quantity of oil in the water..

To put matters in perspective the 40 tons of polluted water was made up of 10 litres of oil and 40 tons of water. The water was in a tank and it was pumped into another tank to crane it on to a boat to take ashore to clean it up. A valve sheared when be lowered and the contents went into the sea. With the swell that was going on at the time there was no sign of the oil even just minutes after the event.

Every day more oil will probably go down the drains in any town whether by accident or deliberate dumping. Every day farm waste, human waste makes it way into rivers and "nothing seems to be done about it"