High on cocaine & alcohol

tinyurl.com/7j27kjcb

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - _

So, out in 2.5 years.

For what I would call murder !!!!

No further comment from me.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - Andrew-T

You might call it murder, but in the absence of any proved intention to kill, you would be wrong.

We live in an age when unimaginable numbers are bandied about with little consideration, so it is easy to invent a mental scale of penalties for locking up miscreants. As we all know, the thought of a long prison sentence has little deterrent value if there is a good probability of getting away with bad behaviour. The only valid reason to lock away someone for many years is to prevent them doing something else - meanwhile they associate with other baddies and have little inclination to reform.

Effective rehab might work better.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - RT

You might call it murder, but in the absence of any proved intention to kill, you would be wrong.

We live in an age when unimaginable numbers are bandied about with little consideration, so it is easy to invent a mental scale of penalties for locking up miscreants. As we all know, the thought of a long prison sentence has little deterrent value if there is a good probability of getting away with bad behaviour. The only valid reason to lock away someone for many years is to prevent them doing something else - meanwhile they associate with other baddies and have little inclination to reform.

But is rehab effective? Judging by the number of repeat offenders, the evidence is that rehab isn't very effective.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - sammy1

You have only to look at the walking disaster that is Katie Price. She seems to have her own set of CPS officials who constantly look after her welfare to keep her out of clink. The system is totally unfair to some, those with the best sob story and ""personal" problems get away with "murder"

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - madf

"Our research also covers drivers who were banned for driving during a disqualification. There were over 31,611 of them over the four-year period – that’s an average of 620 a month, or 21 every day."

www.moneyshake.com/shaking-news/miscellaneous/uk-d...s

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - _

You have only to look at the walking disaster that is Katie Price. She seems to have her own set of CPS officials who constantly look after her welfare to keep her out of clink. The system is totally unfair to some, those with the best sob story and ""personal" problems get away with "murder"

Now getting married in Las Vegas, How on earth did she get an american Visa, she needed one with her previous drug convictions..

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - Bromptonaut
But is rehab effective? Judging by the number of repeat offenders, the evidence is that rehab isn't very effective.

Is there any rehab at all?

Judging by the fact she was caught again this woman has a serious drink/drugs problem. Or maybe some other serious problem for which she thinks drink and drugs are the answer.

Is a period in an overcrowded gaol, locked up for most of the day, going to solve anything?

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - Engineer Andy

Judging by the fact she was caught again this woman has a serious drink/drugs problem. Or maybe some other serious problem for which she thinks drink and drugs are the answer.

Is a period in an overcrowded gaol, locked up for most of the day, going to solve anything?

People commiting such serious crimes need some kind of punishment. There may well be some mitigation, but in the end, people almost always choose to drink to excess and/or partake in illegal drugs, often naively believing that things won't get out of hand, desite all the evidence to the contrary over several decades.

Perhaps having to wear a tag and be subject to a curfew/ban on going to certain places, alongside forced but proper rehab (including addressing issues, as you say, the lead to the drink/drug taking in the first place) and doing extensive community works and all at their expense (this may be paid back after they are rehabilitated if no funds are available or it takes more than they need to live on).

They and others partaking in such activities need to be made aware that it can have some very serious consequences, otherwise it won't encourage people to stop or not take them up in the first place. Essenitally a 'carrot and stick approach', rather than just one or t'other.

A recent local case came to mind recently where two people were killed by a careless/reckless driver who has apparently since been charged with that offence but with the drink/drugs use added to it.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - focussed

Yes - she will not be able to re-offend while inside.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - bathtub tom

Other than keeping the rest of us safe from some drug using driver while she's incarcerated, no!

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - Manatee

Never mind rehab, what about punishment?

'Punishment' includes some hope of correcting a miscreant's behaviour. I suspect that a more correct description might be Retribution - by 'society' who want to exact a penalty as some form of revenge.

As I said before, the main achievement of a long sentence is that it removes offenders from circulation. Unfortunately it is very expensive and paid for by those outside, and also calls for a dedicated and incorruptible army of prison officers.

'Punishment' includes some hope of correcting a miscreant's behaviour. I suspect that a more correct description might be Retribution - by 'society' who want to exact a penalty as some form of revenge.

As I said before, the main achievement of a long sentence is that it removes offenders from circulation. Unfortunately it is very expensive and paid for by those outside, and also calls for a dedicated and incorruptible army of prison officers.

Perhaps part of the punishment should be that the guilty pay something towards the cost of their incarceration, rehab and restitution towards the victim - not sure if the so-called 'victim surcharge' ever goes to victims or if it does, is frankly anywhere near enough.

For too many criminals (of all crimes), the justice system, whether prison or non-custodial sentences plus 'some kind' (often just playing at it, a box-ticking exercise to pander to the media, special interest groups and politicians) of rehab is just a 'revolving door' to further criminality down the line.

A lot of it needs to be the perpetrator taking personal responsibility for what they've done, to change their life around and to make things right, even if that means their life afterwards being hard for a long time. I think that part of the sentencing should be as a deterrant to others, but will only be so if the system actually catches them.

RTAs caused by drink, drugs and/or poor driving is obviously much easier to get those responsible than most other crimes.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - Bromptonaut

For too many criminals (of all crimes), the justice system, whether prison or non-custodial sentences plus 'some kind' (often just playing at it, a box-ticking exercise to pander to the media, special interest groups and politicians) of rehab is just a 'revolving door' to further criminality down the line.

There's much more to the revolving door then 'easy' sentences.

My job is to provide advice to people who need to claim Universal Credit which, of course, includes people leaving jail.

Now if you've been on a reasonable stretch then pre-release stuff will help you sort out benefits. On the other hand there are folks who, by the time they get to court, have served the weeks their minor thieving to feed a habit justifies. They tend to be turfed out of court in what they stand up in.

If you're on the park bench you've slept on after leaving the court you're not going to be claiming benefits on line; fall back to claim by phone.

You then get Mr Obstructive at the DWP who cavils over you needing a phone claim at all and won't accept your claim without details of the bank account you've not got.

As the guy said to me 'no wonder there's a revolving door'.

There's much more to the revolving door then 'easy' sentences.

My job is to provide advice to people who need to claim Universal Credit which, of course, includes people leaving jail.

Now if you've been on a reasonable stretch then pre-release stuff will help you sort out benefits. On the other hand there are folks who, by the time they get to court, have served the weeks their minor thieving to feed a habit justifies. They tend to be turfed out of court in what they stand up in.

If you're on the park bench you've slept on after leaving the court you're not going to be claiming benefits on line; fall back to claim by phone.

You then get Mr Obstructive at the DWP who cavils over you needing a phone claim at all and won't accept your claim without details of the bank account you've not got.

As the guy said to me 'no wonder there's a revolving door'.

Don't forget that crime isn't soley committed by the homeless.

Some people may get that way via a downward spiral, but it often starts small-scale, whereby the system enables them by either letting them get away scot-free (due to a loack of Police action, not because of money BTW) or proverbial slaps on the wrist (essentially the same end result) - often seen by the criminals as 'badges of honour' (especially the young), who then migrate to more serious and destrcutive (to both themselves and their victims/society) criminality.

Obviously in this case, the perpetrator wasn't some low-life on the streets but a reasonably well-off woman driving a Mercedes. The problem as I see it is that too many people appear to forgo their personal responsibility to be a good citizen because some personal issue affects them.

Perhaps it says as about such people's own upbringing and family/friends/colleagues (who perhaps should've spotted the signs and intervened] as it does their own beliefs and morals/ethics.

I have sympathies with your significant concerns about the bureaucratic and on-size-fits-all 'rules' on benefits as they pertain to individuals who have been in the justice system (it should be flexible enough to be suitable for practically all - no system will be perfect), but I'm not sure that it may apply in this case.

I think that a system that is cross departments working to benefit all would be better, but the way the Civil Service works and is managed, I just can't see that without huge (but needed) changes, which would be resisted to the extreme by the unions, middle/upper management and (often) ministers, who all have (different) vested interests in keeping things as they are in one way or another.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - barney100

Effective rehab won't bring back the life she took. it won't comfort the family who have lost a loved one.

Effective rehab won't bring back the life she took. it won't comfort the family who have lost a loved one.

Nor will anything else. I don't suppose a hefty sentence will provide much comfort either, just a feeling of 'justice having been done'.

So, out in 2.5 years.

Whilst waiting trial the woman committed another offence.

"Moughan was arrested and charged with causing death by dangerous driving, and later released under investigation.

But two months later, police found her slumped in another damaged car, heavily drunk.

The second incident took place on December 1, when a member of the public called police to report a woman who had 'passed out' in a Fiat Punto."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10183041/Mother-t...l

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - John F

Sadly, deportation - to America or Australia - is no longer an option. However, a year or two of community service in a rural area of a developing country with no access to alcohol or drugs might be a valuable corrective experience.

Edited by John F on 10/11/2021 at 12:54

Sadly, deportation - to America or Australia - is no longer an option. However, a year or two of community service in a rural area of a developing country with no access to alcohol or drugs might be a valuable corrective experience.

Or compulsory attendance at A&E to see the effects of others driving like she did...

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - John F

Or compulsory attendance at A&E to see the effects of others driving like she did...

........or the mortuary. A fresh shrine has just appeared on our country road into town - and an 18yr old has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

Sadly, deportation - to America or Australia - is no longer an option..

And these days it would be a lot easier to get back again .... (except for Covid, of course).

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - focussed

So, out in 2.5 years.

Whilst waiting trial the woman committed another offence.

"Moughan was arrested and charged with causing death by dangerous driving, and later released under investigation.

But two months later, police found her slumped in another damaged car, heavily drunk.

The second incident took place on December 1, when a member of the public called police to report a woman who had 'passed out' in a Fiat Punto."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10183041/Mother-t...l

And she only got a 6 year driving ban, no compulsory extended driving test, not even a standard retest to re- acquire her licence.

A compulsory extended driving test is as good a driving ban for life for most offenders, very difficult to pass, driving examiners hate drunk drivers.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - Will deBeast

When I watch and police/interceptors programme, there seem to be a set of drivers who continually drive with no licence and insurance.

When caught, the response from the court seems to be a further ban. As they're already driving on a ban that seems pretty pointless.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - Sofa Spud

Anyone convicted of causing death by dangerous driving should receive a permanent and irrevocable driving ban.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 11/11/2021 at 12:31

Anyone convicted of causing death by dangerous driving should receive a permanent and irrevocable driving ban.

Good idea - but how do you actually stop them driving ? :-)

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - barney100

Won't need to stop them soon, the price of fuel will do the job.

Won't need to stop them soon, the price of fuel will do the job.

As I said yesterday, diesel has dropped 4p here since Monday ....

When I watch and police/interceptors programme, there seem to be a set of drivers who continually drive with no licence and insurance.

When caught, the response from the court seems to be a further ban. As they're already driving on a ban that seems pretty pointless.

Those oiks should be sent to prison (paid for by them as fines, including selling things they own) and should, amongst forced rehab, do hard labour as restitution, which can include doing things for the community.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - alan1302

s.

Those oiks should be sent to prison (paid for by them as fines, including selling things they own) and should, amongst forced rehab, do hard labour as restitution, which can include doing things for the community.

Most people that would be put away with this would be people that don't have much money/assets to sell so there is no way that will pay for their prison time.

s.

Most people that would be put away with this would be people that don't have much money/assets to sell so there is no way that will pay for their prison time.

In those circumstances, they could be forced to pay via any job they got (dedcuted at the same time as tax) after leaving prison.

If the person's car was salvagable, then it could be repaired and then sold and the money used, at least in part, for such purposes. Besides, they can't all be stealing to get the money to pay for their drink and drugs.

s.

In those circumstances, they could be forced to pay via any job they got (dedcuted at the same time as tax) after leaving prison.

If the person's car was salvagable, then it could be repaired and then sold and the money used, at least in part, for such purposes. Besides, they can't all be stealing to get the money to pay for their drink and drugs.

A quick Google shows that it costs around £44,000 per prisoner so if they stayed for 5 years the cost would be £220,000.

By the time someone has been in prison for 5 years and no driving licnce the chance of they getting jobs much higher than minimum wage are much against them. So how do you expect them to pay that money back? Even if you are selling a car (assuming it's not leased) then it's unlikley to be worth more than a few thousand.

And how does taking money from someone who already has no money help their mindset of working hard rather than pushing them more down the road of crime?

It's one of those ideas that sounds good in thoery but in the reality does not work.

Road Death- jailed for 5 years Drink & Drugs - galileo

Not so many years ago prisoners sewed mailbags and at Dartmoor broke rocks in the quarry for road surfacing.

Even earlier they had to pick oakum for use in building wooden ships or walk for hours on a treadmill, all occupations giving time to reflect on their misdeeds and deter them from re-offending.

Treadmills geared to a generator could produce 'green' electricity these days, a win-win solution? :-)

s.

A quick Google shows that it costs around £44,000 per prisoner so if they stayed for 5 years the cost would be £220,000.

By the time someone has been in prison for 5 years and no driving licnce the chance of they getting jobs much higher than minimum wage are much against them. So how do you expect them to pay that money back? Even if you are selling a car (assuming it's not leased) then it's unlikley to be worth more than a few thousand.

And how does taking money from someone who already has no money help their mindset of working hard rather than pushing them more down the road of crime?

It's one of those ideas that sounds good in thoery but in the reality does not work.

Just because they can't always pay the entire amount doesn't mean they should pay something towards the cost - and, as I said, that should include other assets (perhaps even selling other possessions, even [depending on the circumstances] their home and swapping it for a basic, smaller one) and paying back monies spent on their incarceration via salary deductions after they leave, plus, as Galileo says, doing proper work for the community whilst in prison. Doing so would also have the added benefit, along with education/rehab, or making them knackered at the end of the day with no chance to get up to further mischief as many prisoners appear to do whilst killing time in jail.

Just because they can't always pay the entire amount doesn't mean they should pay something towards the cost - and, as I said, that should include other assets (perhaps even selling other possessions, even [depending on the circumstances] their home and swapping it for a basic, smaller one) and paying back monies spent on their incarceration via salary deductions after they leave, plus, as Galileo says, doing proper work for the community whilst in prison. Doing so would also have the added benefit, along with education/rehab, or making them knackered at the end of the day with no chance to get up to further mischief as many prisoners appear to do whilst killing time in jail.

How much would you have them pay back? Based on someone living in a basic private let - no other assets worth much and living on Universal Credit as they can't get work due to their record.

How would swapping a home work? Find a poor person and swap their home with the person that's been in prison? What if they have a family? Do they have to move out to the 'basic' home as well?

Has doing manual labour stopped reoffending in the past? You need proper rehab done - something like this would help more:

How Norway turns criminals into good neighbours - BBC News