Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - _

Had a great day out at Hendon yesterday visiting the RAF museum.

Walking around the Lancaster, and the Avro Vulcan was a joy, and seeing in the flesh the various smaller planes that feature in some of the books i have been reading over the years was intersesting too. a few old cars and support vehicles to see as well, also a lot of" modern" kit, Lightnings etc on show.

And all currently free.

Edited by _ORB_ on 03/12/2021 at 07:00

Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - daveyjp

A few weeks ago whilst staying in Telford I visited the sister museum at Cosford.

Really excellent set up, just a shame Covid meant no on board visits to the Nimrod, VC10 etc, but the displays in the three hangars are impressive. Also free.

Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - MGspannerman

A few weeks ago I spent the day at the Tank Museum in Bovington, Dorset. Brilliant day and more tanks than you can shake a stick at. The guide was absolutely fascinating and seemed to know everything about tanks - construction techniques, armour, design, fire power, maintenance and barrel replacement etc etc. Although you have to wonder in these days of drones and missiles what the role of tanks will be in the future.

Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - Engineer Andy

Had a great day out at Hendon yesterday visiting the RAF museum.

Walking around the Lancaster, and the Avro Vulcan was a joy, and seeing in the flesh the various smaller planes that feature in some of the books i have been reading over the years was intersesting too. a few old cars and support vehicles to see as well, also a lot of" modern" kit, Lightnings etc on show.

And all currently free.

Have the works on site finished yet? When I took my parents to see the museum about 2-3 years ago, there was a lot of construction going on and possibly reduced (I couldn't tell what [if anything] was missing) exhibits.

For those in the area or going to the region on holiday, its well worth going to visit the Fleet Air Arm Museum near Yeovil. I thought it was as good as Duxford.

Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - catsdad

I can second both Hendon and Cosford as excellent places to visit if you have any interest in planes. Pre COVID I got Cosford virtually to myself in early spring.

Not free but the Scottish National Museum of Flight is also fascinating. It’s not confined to military items and it has a Concord and other civvy items of broader flight interest. They have a Dan Air Comet which may well be the very one that flew me to Mallorca on a student field trip in the 70’s. It was my first flight and I assumed that the way the wings rippled in flight was how all planes behaved. Blissful ignorance.

Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - daveyjp

Cosford has the piece of fuselage they used find out why Comets kept ripping themselves apart.

Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - bathtub tom

Just up the road (A1) is the De Havilland museum and another thirty miles or so, Shuttleworth.

Shuttleworth used to be a charming place. Anyone could drive in for free, have a cuppa and something to eat, while watching whatever was buzzing around, while the kids played in the excellent playground. Many days would have the collection's vehicles and aircraft out. Now you have to fork out fifteen quid per person just to drive in.

Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - paul 1963

Love Shuttleworth, attended a few airshows there, I've also flown there but only vintage models!

Brooklands is another place well worth a visit, I used to volunteer there at one time mainly involved in there sopwith Camel ( replica airframe, genuine rotary engine), even got to start it a couple of times, a long drawn out procedure, apparently I had "the knack" of swinging the prop...

Loveley day out - RAF Museum Hendon - primus 1

If you’re ever up north, I can recommend a visit to Elvington air museum, among other aircraft,they have the victor tanker “ lusty lindy “ , not sure if they still do it but they used to fire it up every so often and give it a blast down the runway, once it managed to partially take off but as it’s no longer airworthy, they had to shut it down pretty quickly, I’ve been to shuttleworth, and bovington, and thoroughly enjoyed them both,