Rat trap recommendations required - Trilogy.

Could anyone recommend a rat trap for indoor use? I'd rather use a device that kills instantly than poison.

Rat trap recommendations required - _

Ferret, Terrier, Cat?

Air rifle?

Rat trap recommendations required - sammy1

Indoors Tuck your trousers into your socks!

Rat trap recommendations required - Chris M

I've used the mouse version of this with much success. The bait is a paste which is available in small tubes and you only need a small amount. They are also easily cleaned unlike the wooden variety.

www.screwfix.com/p/stv-pest-free-plastic-metal-rat...s

Rat trap recommendations required - catsdad

I bought a big cheap non branded metal one from our local proper farmer country store. It’s just a classic mousetrap times three. I am sure it would do the job with a lump of peanut butter or Nutella on the bait point. In the end I didn’t use it as the rat was in the garden and I couldn’t think of a way of deploying it safely re cats and birds.

What did get the dirty rat was that he began using the bird table in daylight. He was so bold that I just set up,a mound of blue bait on the table, sat inside to watch for birds, and within minutes he was up there scoffing the lot. I never found the corpse.which is the issue with poison of course.

The downside of using poison outside is it can be eaten by other animals such as hedgehogs and squirrels ( I accept not everyone wants squirrels about). A small amount of poison eaten by a cat or dog, whilst not desirable, won't kill it. Poison outside should be placed in a proper rat box.

Rat trap recommendations required - Brit_in_Germany

And a risk using poison inside is that the beast creeps off somewhere to die and then decomposes, leaving you to find the stink e.g. a cavity wall!

Rat trap recommendations required - catsdad

I agree Chris but in my case I had seen the rat feeding before I put out the bait and watched it continuously until it came back and scoffed the lot. Had anything else come along I would have chased it off . Probably I had a particularly compliant/stupid rat!

Our hedgehogs were safe as their noisy mating confirmed.

I saw a rat in our garden during the first lockdown and thought there was unlikely to be just the one. I wanted to avoid the expense of a professional rat catcher if possible and spoke to the council pest control. They advised what poison I should look for but also some advice. Rats are clever and his top tips were to wear gloves so that they don't smell human activity, use a rat box so that other animals can't reach it, remove other food sources (the birds had to dine elsewhere), place the poison close to where they feed and don't keep checking on it - leave it for at least a week.

Haven't seen the rat again.

Edited by Chris M on 04/12/2021 at 12:07

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end went for the Screwfix option. Will update with results success.

Rat trap recommendations required - Andrew-T

Our hedgehogs were safe as their noisy mating confirmed.

Hedgehogs tend to live on worms and beetles, so I doubt they would be interested in a poisoned rat.

Set up now for nearly two weeks. No joy so far, although one trap has been triggered. b*****s are still there so will have to call in pest control if no success soon.

Rat trap recommendations required - Engineer Andy

Set up now for nearly two weeks. No joy so far, although one trap has been triggered. b*****s are still there so will have to call in pest control if no success soon.

Maybe an ACME anvil or steam iron on a ledge, wired up to a trigger by some cheese? Sadly doesn't appear to work on mice, so unlikely to on rats. :-)

Rat trap recommendations required - hahn_ka

There are special glue traps for indoor usage. We catch all mice this way.

Rat trap recommendations required - galileo

There are special glue traps for indoor usage. We catch all mice this way.

How do you despatch a live mouse stuck on one (or do you just let them starve to death)?

(I have a very efficient tabby cat, so no mice indoors, I sometime rescue wood-mice and shrews she is playing with outdoors, they are usually unharmed and run off into the wood)