Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - Saab Brian

Hi, I am just looking for some advice and thoughts on my scenario please?

My car recently had a new water pump, tensioner and Cambelt replaced on it. The day after the repairs it started t make a noise. I immediately called the garage to ask if they could look at it asap (As I'd just spent £660 the day before on cambelt and new exhaust etc) but they said they were too busy and come back on Monday (2 days time) they did not advise me to stop driving the vehicle.

When I then finished work and driving home the cambelt failed and the car broke down. I got the car recovered and returned it to the Garage. On inspection, the garage advised me that the cambelt had failed due to the tensioner bolt snapping. he showed me and it looked like it had been sheered off and they had to drill it out. As a result, the cambelt failed and has damaged the engine i.e the valves and possibly more, I think it's beyond economical repair.

The garage advised me that they install the kit correctly, including the tension of the bolt and blame the parts for being faulty and want to raise a claim against their supplier.

My question is, where does this leave me from a legal perspective? I am I entitled to get my car repaired for free? / garage buy the car off me plus my £660 repair bill? That would be logical to me but is that how the law would view this scenario too?

plus the garage are stating that they cannot pay me until their supplier admits liability?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Brian

Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - elekie&a/c doctor
You’ve paid good money to have a job done professionally. Whatever it be , faulty parts or workmanship the garage needs to repair the car at no cost to yourself . The problem now arises as to whether it’s an economic proposition. If the engine is wrecked , then a s/hand motor may be the answer . I’m guessing this is a diesel ( GM/ Fiat engine )
Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - Saab Brian

It's a petrol engine.

They have been very good so far but I am just trying to understand where I am from a legal point of view. I don't really want to wait for a dispute between the garage and supplier to be resolved, that could go on forever!

Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - elekie&a/c doctor
I would say legally you have to give them a chance to repair it free of charge . See what their response is .
Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - Falkirk Bairn

Your contract is with the garage. They supplied the parts and the labour.

Whether it is a failure of a part or failure to installation is relevant to the garage as to who pays - themselves or the part manufacturer is irrelevant to you

As your contract is with the garage they have to to fix the problem - (

1) repair your engine or

(2) fit a re-conditioned (2nd hand) or

(3) pay out the value of your car if 1&2 exceed the value of your car.

Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - Andrew-T

Your contract is with the garage. They supplied the parts and the labour.

Agree with FB above. If the garage's diagnosis is correct, the sheared bolt was a dud or they seriously overtightened it. Either way they have to rectify the situation as best they can. I'm not sure whether you can demand a free courtesy car while they do it.

I would have hoped that a skilled fitter would notice a bolt shearing while it was tightened ?

Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - Brit_in_Germany

Exactly - imagine that the parts supplier disputes liability, saying that it was the mechanic's fault. According to the garage's view, you would have to wait until that was resolved before your car is repaired. It is good though that the garage has blamed it on faulty goods they supplied - as a consumer that gives you a clear right to be put back into the position before it failed.

Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - Gibbo_Wirral

Might be worth getting an independent inspection if the garage and supplier are going to bat the ball (you) between themselves to absolve blame.

If you don't know the garage they could do anything while they have the car to push the blame away from themselves - especially if its negligence on their part.

Saab 93 Estate - 2008 - 96,000 on the clock - Saab 93 - Dispute with my Garage. - focussed

Might be worth getting an independent inspection if the garage and supplier are going to bat the ball (you) between themselves to absolve blame.

If you don't know the garage they could do anything while they have the car to push the blame away from themselves - especially if its negligence on their part.

It's time to get a solicitor involved to remind the garage that they are responsible for the failure of the engine, as a result of their faulty work whatever the cause, and to agree a time scale for the repair.

It's up to the garage to take legal action against their supplier of the parts if they can, to recover their cost of repairing the OP's engine. That is nothing to do with the OP.