Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - Cosmo2020

If someone hits your legally parked car, you weren't in the car at the time and you haven't claimed on your insurance, do you need to declare it when obtaining a new insurance quote? To put it another way, in that scenario are you deemed to have had an "incident" even though you weren't personally involved in how the actual event transpired? The repairs are being handled by the at fault driver's insurance company. All informed insight gratefully received.

Edited by Cosmo2020 on 16/01/2022 at 13:41

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - Palcouk

You should declare all claims, even no fault ones (those settled in fill by another party) Generally the application wording asks for any claim

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - Andrew-T

You should declare all claims, even no fault ones (those settled in fill by another party) Generally the application wording asks for any claim

OP stated that he didn't claim, so as far as his insurer is concerned nothing has happened to the car. OP may have had minor damage repaired at his expense without claiming anyway.

Not sure what happens if the damage is bad enough to write-off ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 16/01/2022 at 16:03

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - thunderbird

OP stated that he didn't claim, so as far as his insurer is concerned nothing has happened to the car. OP may have had minor damage repaired at his expense, but so what ?

In the case of the OP the 3rd parties insurance company are paying for the repairs so in this instance there has been a claim and the OP needs to declare it.

When the wife was hit whilst stationary by a plumber on his phone he initially tried to blame her for being there (that did not work) and later in the evening (after he had spoken to his father) he agreed to pay our local body shop direct (which he did before repairs were done), about £1800. So when asked if we had claimed in the past 5 years the answer was no (and neither had the plumber). If we had been asked if we had been involved in an accident in the last 5 years the answer would have been yes with a suitable explanation.

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - FiestaOwner

In the case of the OP the 3rd parties insurance company are paying for the repairs so in this instance there has been a claim and the OP needs to declare it.

^^^^^Exactly This^^^^^

Insurance companies share information. There has been a claim for the OP's car. The OP's name and address will also be recorded.

However the OP's NCD won't be affected, although they can increase the overall premium.

Unfair? Yes, very! Afraid that's how it is though.

Edited by FiestaOwner on 16/01/2022 at 17:04

Yes, there has indeed been a claim, but that was initiated by the at fault party. I phoned their insurance company to see what the situation was. The at fault party had already been in touch with them and started the claim process. Without any prompting on my part, the insurers started arranging repairs to my vehicle and a replacement car on the back of the claim already lodged.

My issue in all of this, is that simply by notifying my insurance company of the damage to my car (which I am obligated to do), they have increased my renewal quote by 78% which seems utterly scandalous. I intend to shop around, but don’t want to declare anything I don’t have to as that seems to give the insurers an excuse to up the premium. I have 18 years no claims - how am I more of a risk than two days ago?
Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - galileo
. My issue in all of this, is that simply by notifying my insurance company of the damage to my car (which I am obligated to do), they have increased my renewal quote by 78% which seems utterly scandalous. I intend to shop around, but don’t want to declare anything I don’t have to as that seems to give the insurers an excuse to up the premium. I have 18 years no claims - how am I more of a risk than two days ago?

First of all, 78% increase in premiums is scandalous, I would change insurers.

Secondly, their justification is that statistically most people have either had no accidents or several, so the conclusion is that one accident will be followed by others (illogical and nonsense, much like SAGE's scenarios based on only partial data).

Thirdly, explain to a new insurer or broker exactly where and how your car was damaged.

If you can show that it was parked sensibly in a 'safe' location then it should be accepted this was unforeseeable, only happened through poor driving by the other party, and is not likely to happen again.

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - RT

OP stated that he didn't claim, so as far as his insurer is concerned nothing has happened to the car. OP may have had minor damage repaired at his expense without claiming anyway.

Not sure what happens if the damage is bad enough to write-off ?

The question is often worded "any accidents, claims or convictions" - as an accident occurred it MUST be declared - if no claim was made and fully settled by the other insurance then it shouldn't affect premiums.

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - SLO76
All the insurance company will ask is “have you made any claims in the last 5yrs?” Well, you haven’t, the other party did. I wouldn’t declare it, it’s just an excuse for them to hike the policy for absolutely no reason.
All the insurance company will ask is “have you made any claims in the last 5yrs?” Well, you haven’t, the other party did. I wouldn’t declare it, it’s just an excuse for them to hike the policy for absolutely no reason.

Careful - the OP has made a claim against the other driver's insurer.

The OP says above that he didn't start a claim. What if the same event had happened and the OP decided simply to get the car repaired himself ? Not that different a scenario, and no reason to inform anyone ? As his car was stationary and he was not present, he was hardly a party to the event.

Edited by Andrew-T on 16/01/2022 at 23:20

The OP says above that he didn't start a claim. What if the same event had happened and the OP decided simply to get the car repaired himself ? Not that different a scenario, and no reason to inform anyone ? As his car was stationary and he was not present, he was hardly a party to the event.

Then it falls under "accident" in the question "any accidents, claims or convictions?"

<< Then it falls under "accident" in the question "any accidents, claims or convictions?" >>

So what should one do after a very minor bump while waiting to enter a roundabout ? Drivers stop to examine damage, decide it is trivial and not to involve insurers. There has been an 'accident'; one party may choose to follow it up later. In my opinion there need be no obligation to make unnecessary waves.

<< Then it falls under "accident" in the question "any accidents, claims or convictions?" >>

So what should one do after a very minor bump while waiting to enter a roundabout ? Drivers stop to examine damage, decide it is trivial and not to involve insurers. There has been an 'accident'; one party may choose to follow it up later. In my opinion there need be no obligation to make unnecessary waves.

Sounds like you're making up the rules to suit yourself.

The legal obligation to answer all questions honestly is quite clear, as is the meaning of "accidents, claims or convictions" - it's up to each individual to decide whether to be honest or not.

The legal obligation to answer all questions honestly is quite clear, as is the meaning of "accidents, claims or convictions" - it's up to each individual to decide whether to be honest or not.

Not at all - you have ignored my question. If there is a minor incident which both parties agree is not worth claiming for - because there is always a financial penalty in making a claim, usually a reduction in NCD - it is a valid choice to pay for any repairs instead of spreading the cost over all other insured parties by claiming. I'm not sure insurers really want or need to be told about trivial incidents.

Not at all - you have ignored my question. If there is a minor incident which both parties agree is not worth claiming for - because there is always a financial penalty in making a claim, usually a reduction in NCD - it is a valid choice to pay for any repairs instead of spreading the cost over all other insured parties by claiming. I'm not sure insurers really want or need to be told about trivial incidents.

It's not for the proposer to decide what is or isn't trivial - insurance law has been simplified in recent years - if the insurance company doesn't ask a question, the proposer isn't obliged to give the answer - but if the insurance company asks a question, it must be answered honestly and fully.

There isn't always a penalty for making a claim, I've never been penalised when all costs have been recovered from the third party, including my excess.

<< It's not for the proposer to decide what is or isn't trivial - insurance law has been simplified in recent years - if the insurance company doesn't ask a question, the proposer isn't obliged to give the answer - but if the insurance company asks a question, it must be answered honestly and fully. >>

I agree. The minor roundabout incident I mentioned earlier happened to us several years ago. Both parties stopped, examined the damage and exchanged details. When our car got home I had a closer look and decided that a likely bodyshop cost of about £300 to repair a small dent was not worth proceeding with, much to the relief of the other party. I decided the incident was trivial and not worth informing my insurer. What would be the point ? If I had, they could ask any question they liked, which I would answer truthfully. But what for ?

Insurance companies place an 'excess' on any claim, to prevent clients claiming for trivial amounts - what a lawyer might call vexatious.

Edited by Andrew-T on 17/01/2022 at 23:15

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - FiestaOwner

From Confused.com

What happens to my insurance if I claim on someone elses policy?

Again, any claim – whether on your policy or another driver’s – risks your insurance costs rising when renewal rolls around.......

.....Every accident or incident must be reported to your insurer, even if you’re not at fault.

Most insurers keep your claims and incidents record for at least five years. Some may extend this to 10 years. And failing to disclose accidents to your insurer risks invalidating your cover.

www.confused.com/car-insurance/guides/car-insuranc...d

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - Xileno

I remember some years ago HJ himself said people should claim for increased premiums from the other insurer in the event of a no-fault incident. I'm not sure of the validity of that and how far it would go in reality.

Insurance declarations - no fault, not in the car - daveyjp

Not easy to do as the amount to claim isn't known. You can't claim for a potential increase in costs and even if your existing insurance company may increase the price, its a huge market and another insurance company may be cheaper, so you have suffered no loss.

Not easy to do as the amount to claim isn't known. You can't claim for a potential increase in costs and even if your existing insurance company may increase the price, its a huge market and another insurance company may be cheaper, so you have suffered no loss.

It is in this case! Insurance is due to renew in a couple of weeks and has gone up by £148 since my original quote, purely as a result of notifying my insurance company of the event (which I had to do).