Toyota Yaris - Challenging write off value - Rerepo

Trying to assist an elderly friend.

He was recently rear-ended by a car travelling at high speed (i.e. well over limit) on a dual carriageway. Not at fault and the other driver immediately accepted responsibility.

The damage is very severe and the car is definitely a write off.

My friend only bought the car about 6 months ago. It was a great buy, I checked it over for him - relatively low mileage, 1 owner, FSH, HPi clear and in great cosmetic shape. He paid £3500, which was a bargain IMHO. The other party's insurers have offered £3k, which is somewhat below the WBAC valuation. The problem is that he now can't find anything comparable advertised for under £4k - and that is with considerably higher miles.

He has called the insurance company to argue for a higher payout. They have said they will send someone to look at the car and they may increase their offer slightly, OR they may reduce it! They have said that their decision is final.

How can he challenge the valuation? Ombudsman, Small Claims?

Toyota Yaris - Challenging write off value - thunderbird

He needs to compile as much info as he can that shows how much as near as possible identical car will cost him and present that to his own insurers, they should be sorting it for him.

And "They have said that their decision is final" is just a bluff at this time.

Toyota Yaris - Challenging write off value - Xileno

There's an almost identical thread currently in the Legal forum where members have offered some good advice. Worth a look if you haven't already seen it.

There's an almost identical thread currently in the Legal forum where members have offered some good advice. Worth a look if you haven't already seen it.

Thanks. I just took a look.

The question is, if the insurance company just will not budge what can the customer do? Maybe take to Small Claims. My friend had 5 or 6 adverts as examples of current pricing but was firmly told he would never get that amount. He's 76 years old and I feel the company are bullying him.

Toyota Yaris - Challenging write off value - Falkirk Bairn

A 3rd party insurer cannot write off your car.

Your insurer can write off the car with your agreement on the value of the pay out.

If you do not agree with the valuation you can get expert valuation and challenge the offer.

A 3rd party insurer cannot write off your car.

Your insurer can write off the car with your agreement on the value of the pay out.

If you do not agree with the valuation you can get expert valuation and challenge the offer.

It seems that its his insurance company that are coming up with the valuation.

To make matters worse the car (severely damaged, can be dragged but not started or driven) was recovered by the RAC to his home address and unloaded onto the street outside his house! The insurance company have said they will not remove it until he accepts their offer. Because he has rejected their offer they say they will have to send an assessor out which will apparently take 10days. Seems diabolical treatment to me.

How would he get an expert valuation?

Toyota Yaris - Challenging write off value - sammy1

From what you describe as the damage the car IS a write off no matter the argument. What you pay for a car is not necessarily what it is worth. In this case £3k offer a bird in the hand. It is bad luck what has happened and I suggest you move on as best rather than haggle over £500 which you cannot prove to be the higher value. At the best of times it is difficult to value a car and the older they get the more difficult it becomes

Toyota Yaris - Challenging write off value - brum

This should be handled entirely by the OP's insurance company and no negotiation with the 3rd parties insurance company. WBAC valuation is higher, and that is bottom book TRADE price. Having talked with assesors in the past, they will look at getting 3 RETAIL valuations using current industry standards, eg glasses is one and they even scan Autotrader. They listen to the customer if they can show 3 equivalent cars on autotrader they will adjust the settlement to match.

I repeat its the job of the OPs insurance company to negotiate, the liability lies in this case with the 3rd party so the OP's insurance company holds all the cards and its not in their interest to short change a customer.

Stop talking to the 3rd party and call your own insurance company. Its actually a condition of your contract

Toyota Yaris - Challenging write off value - Andrew-T

How would he get an expert valuation?

Assuming the OP was fully insured, his insurers are contracted to pay him enough to recover his situation before the incident. So it is a matter of agreeing the price of another similar vehicle of the same model. Valuing the heap of scrap in front of the OP's house is pointless. Equally it is not a question of what WBAC might offer, basically its auction or part-ex value.

If the OP is not claiming from his own insurer, they should help get a proper settlement from the third party's insurer.

Toyota Yaris - Challenging write off value - jp2021

For clarity, is the owner claiming from and dealing with their own insurance company.?

In this case it would be easier as you follow the complaint procedure in the policy wording and ask for a ' final decision letter' . Then complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service pointing out the valuation issue , their unhelpfuless and delays ,threat to reduce the value, refusal to move car, inablity to assist an elderly policyholder in need of decent advice and attaching adverts for similar cars. Hardly ' treating customers fairly' as the FCA remind insurers regularly should be a cornerstone in all dealings.

This will take some time sadly.

If it is the third parties insurer then your choice are very limited