N/A - Drivers licence and purchasing a car in the UK - EmmCeeSq

Hi there, this is probably a REALLY stupid question, but do I need a physical copy of my driving licence in order to buy an approved used car? I need to change address on my driving licence, and (for reasons unbeknownst to me) I'm unable to change my address online.

So I'll need to send it off, and (according to the latest info) I'll be lucky to get it back before 2054. You can still drive while they're changing it apparently (and I'll take a photo in case I get pulled over or have a crash or whatever) but it's been AGES since I bought a car (I've been leasing for years but want to buy something soon) and have no idea about the process anymore.

Hence the daft question. Anyone know? I'm assuming all I need is my driving licence number, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any info

Cheers

Mike

N/A - Drivers licence and purchasing a car in the UK - leaseman

Hi Mike.

If you are paying cash for the car, you should not need to show the physical card, but may need to show proof of identity with alternative means. If you are using finance to assist the purchase, then it is very likely that you will need to show the physical card if the dealer is fulfilling his obligations to the Finance Company

N/A - Drivers licence and purchasing a car in the UK - Grenache

Do you really need to show your licence? Will another form of photo ID such as a passport be sufficient?

I've never ever been asked to show any photo ID when buying a car, either new or used, just needed a credit check and payment of the deposit by card.

N/A - Drivers licence and purchasing a car in the UK - Bromptonaut

Even if you're paying cash (or with a credit/debit card) then the selling dealer may want proof of ID for the purpose of 'knowing their customer' and evidencing they're not letting you launder money.

If finance is involved then there are a whole load of other ID hoops to be jumped.

However you can prove ID without a driving licence.

N/A - Drivers licence and purchasing a car in the UK - Palcouk

You used the dvla link Change the address on your driving licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

was the issue a web browser problem?

N/A - Drivers licence and purchasing a car in the UK - EmmCeeSq

Thanks for your replies and comprehensive information everyone. Really appreciated.

I guess I'll have to send my licence off and continue leasing until I get it back (God knows how long that will take).

In answer to the question, the problem wasn't a website issue but an identity issue. I have no idea what that issue was, and have tried several times. I mean, the DVLA is largely unfit for purpose as well all know, there's not point me re-hashing it here, so I'm not entirely surprised their IT systems aren't up to scratch either...

Thanks again

Mike

N/A - Drivers licence and purchasing a car in the UK - Bromptonaut

One would hope that if a change of address is reported to DVLA on line their system would undertake some level of verification to show the address is genuine and that the applicant has some connection with it.

If that process fails then presumably, as I know to be the case with Benefit Claimants (I do advice for a living), there will be some sort of alternative involving documents and/or a conversation.