Peugeot 308 SW - Carless Driving - Fyldeboy

3 weeks ago I clipped a car wing mirror and didn't stop. I've received an NIP for driving without C&A.

I have a private plate that was applied to the car on the 1st of May last year. My current insurance started on the 2nd of May *with the old reg plate* IE it changed between quote and acceptance. Obviously I will be notifying the insurer first thing in the morning, but am I likely to be adding driving without insurance to my prosecution list?

When I talk to the insurers tomorrow, should I mention the NIP yet or wait for the prosecution? Renewal due in 60 days.

Peugeot 308 SW - Carless Driving - Middleman

I'm confused. Were you actually insured on 1st May?

Peugeot 308 SW - Carless Driving - Andrew-T

I'm confused. Were you actually insured on 1st May?

Is that important, since the incident in question happened this year ?

Yes, with my previous insurer, on the original plate.

Peugeot 308 SW - Carless Driving - Palcouk

If the accident occurred after 2nd May 2021 then you were insured at the time of the incident

Even though the car had a different plate to what the insurers had recorded? (Same car / vin,)

Peugeot 308 SW - Carless Driving - Bromptonaut

I suspect that police would have checked insurance before issuing the NIP.

They have access to more detail than the public ask Mid site and could probably relate your private plate to the vehicle's 'native' plate.

Peugeot 308 SW - Carless Driving - RT

I suspect that police would have checked insurance before issuing the NIP.

They have access to more detail than the public ask Mid site and could probably relate your private plate to the vehicle's 'native' plate.

Insurance may depend on the driver - so until the NIP is returned naming the driver, the police can't check the insurance.

Peugeot 308 SW - Carless Driving - Andrew-T

Even though the car had a different plate to what the insurers had recorded? (Same car / vin,)

So if push came to shove, examining the VIN records could provide proof of the change ?

Peugeot 308 SW - Carless Driving - Gibbo_Wirral

I guess it all depends on your insurers policy of notifying them of any changes, and if the plate change would result in a change of premium.

Assuming you pay the extra tenner or so for the motor legal assistance, they'd be the ones I'd be asking.

Peugeot 308 SW - Careless Driving - Fyldeboy

FWIW I have no legal cover with them, but your point reminded me that I do have it with RAC, so I'll call them in the morning.

I'm adamant that I notified them 1st thing on 2nd May by telephone but they denied there was any conversation on that day. However, on the bright side, they did immediately change the insured reg - admin charge but no change of premium.

Haven't mentioned the NIP yet.

Peugeot 308 SW - Careless Driving - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm adamant that I notified them 1st thing on 2nd May by telephone but they denied there was any conversation on that day. However, on the bright side, they did immediately change the insured reg - admin charge but no change of premium.

Haven't mentioned the NIP yet.

I always do it online where I can so I've got a record. When I change anything on a policy they normally send out an updated policy by email the same or next day.