Honda Jazz - My car is a write off but there's more to it.. - Sunshine88

Hi all I had a Carr accident at the end of January. I was at fault. Although the other drjverr was speeding arlind a dodgy bend, I pulled out of my road (minor cul de sac onto 40mph road and should've looked left again. A car to the right flashed me to go and I just went.)

But there's more to it. I was driving to my mechanic friend who was kindly planning to fix some parts of my car. It had failed it's mot two days before. I'd got the dangerous fault fixed and driven it home. I've been driving for 29 years with no accidents, no claims... And of course the one day in all the years thst I do crash, my mot expired the day before AND it had failed too.

I disclosed this when I reported the claim making clear thst the crash was a mixture of the other csr going at speak arlind the corner, he even commented this when we were exchanging details ("it's hard not to put your foot down going down there) and I had looked left, it was clear, then right another car flashed me to go, and I should have looked left again and didn't. It was my error to think the flashing out emant it was safe to go.

The crash wasn't caused by the breach in my car insurance terms.. So I breached the car should have a valid mot but the fact it doesnt have a valid mot wasn't the cause of the accident. Neither was say bald tyres or something. It was a suspension issue with the top mount it has failed on and some otherr things but nothing like brakes or bald tyres, I had one tyre with a slight tear but they all had good tread. I know from the insurance act 2015 it is hard for them to not pay unless they prove the breach in the insurance terms and conditions caused the claim. See

So I disclosed all this at the time of claiming. . I've had a courtesy car I took out as extra on my insurance policy for the last 27 days. 3 days and it is returning to the hire company. The insurance have asked me to provide an mot certificate (9 days ago) and I have again explained the above. I'm unable to buy even a cheap car without some offer of payment but they now are drawing and drawing out the claim. I had a message 2 weeks ago that it was a total loss and I would receive an offer within a week. I've chased this up and am told due to the lack of mot it is a big problem and I've heard nothing more than they are waiting to hear...

I'm totally panicking. I love in the countryside. I won't go into details hut basically I lost both parents last year very unexpectedly. I'm a single parent and I work, I can't get to nursery or school or work by public transport. It isn't doable. I'm totally panicking and I can't believe I drove the car with no MOT. if this was a year ago when my parents were alive this wouldn't have happened because I would have got the mot done sooner (I had to wait until pay day to...) and yeah I'm panicking any advice is really appreciated.

Honda Jazz - My car is a write off but there's more to it.. - sammy1

what date was the original MOT valid to? If you presented the car for MOT earlier than the renewal date then you are still valid to drive . If the MOT renewal date had expired than you can only legally drive it to an MOT station for a test So if the old MOT had not expired then you are OK

Honda Jazz - My car is a write off but there's more to it.. - Andrew-T

what date was the original MOT valid to? If you presented the car for MOT earlier than the renewal date then you are still valid to drive . If the MOT renewal date had expired than you can only legally drive it to an MOT station for a test So if the old MOT had not expired then you are OK

Are you quite sure about this ? If the car has FAILED its test a few days before, can you just ignore that and carry on ? I know a new pass continues for 12 months from the previous one, but if the car fails it's not roadworthy (except for advisories of course).

Honda Jazz - My car is a write off but there's more to it.. - focussed

This sounds like an insurer trying it on.

If an MOT was required for insurance to be valid, that would mean you couldn't drive an untested car to a pre arranged MOT.

It's perfectly possible to have a valid MOT but the vehicle is unroadworthy,

in that case you still commit an offence regardless of the valid MOT.

Your responsibility as a driver is to maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy condition.

Honda Jazz - My car is a write off but there's more to it.. - Brit_in_Germany

As per the post, the dangerous fault had been repaired. The car could therefore be assumed to be roadworthy but there may be no proof of this. The MOT had just expired but that is of no relevance for the insurance usually. What the OP will need is so e evidence that the dangerous fault was no longer present.

Honda Jazz - My car is a write off but there's more to it.. - Andrew-T

What the OP will need is so e evidence that the dangerous fault was no longer present.

In other words, a re-test.

Honda Jazz - My car is a write off but there's more to it.. - Brit_in_Germany

A bit late for that.

Honda Jazz - My car is a write off but there's more to it.. - focussed

What the OP will need is so e evidence that the dangerous fault was no longer present.

In other words, a re-test.

An opinion from a police vehicle examiner at the time would have been good.