37 MPH ? - sammy1

How do you come up with a max speed of 37 MPH for your self driving car. Apparently it will be coming into law that you can read a book or watch TV in a self driving car. Experiment to go live on a single lane of a motorway. I hope the driver gets to finish the TV programme before something happens.

37 MPH ? - Bromptonaut

How do you come up with a max speed of 37 MPH for your self driving car.

It's 60kph.

37 MPH ? - Ethan Edwards

So let's assume the civil servants have just copied and pasted EU rules. Sounds about right for them.

37 MPH ? - alan1302

So let's assume the civil servants have just copied and pasted EU rules. Sounds about right for them.

Seems the most logical solution - the cars we buy here are manuafacrtured for the EU as well so keeps things simpler rather thaning having different rules for the UK cars and then one for the others they make.

37 MPH ? - RT

Seems the most logical solution - the cars we buy here are manufacrtured for the EU as well so keeps things simpler rather than having different rules for the UK cars and then one for the others they make.

We've done it this way for a long time - LGVs have a 90 kph limiter, which converts to 55.92 mph despite their speed limit on UK motorways being 60 mph.

37 MPH ? - movilogo

Perhaps UK should have adopted metric system long time back.

It is weird that we buy fuel in L yet measure distances in miles!

km is lot easier to understand than miles.

Motorway average speed is 100 km/h. So if a place is 300 km away and mostly travelling via motorway then I estimate easily it will require bit over 3 hours to reach there.

37 MPH ? - sammy1

"""It is weird that we buy fuel in L yet measure distances in miles! ""

Probably something to do where the fuel pumps are made as in the answer above the EU?

I can remember buying petrol in gallons and on some forecourts you would drive over a line which would trigger a bell in the station and a nice person would come out and fill your tank.

Calculating in MPG and time travelled in MPH is no more difficult than metric. Converting litres to gallons is a pain but not difficult. The whole of the UK is signed in miles and some of the old quirky signs in our countryside help make it what it is. My STRAVA calculates in miles and averages in MPH I expect it can do the same in metric but meaningless to old school or indeed when you talk to some of the younger generation.

Motorway average speed is 60mph so if a place is 60miles away, 1 hour to get there. Doesn't Google maps operate in miles in the UK?

37 MPH ? - Andrew-T

I can remember buying petrol in gallons and on some forecourts you would drive over a line which would trigger a bell in the station and a nice person would come out and fill your tank.

So can I - but I'm trying to work out what that has to do with anything ?

37 MPH ? - Andrew-T

Perhaps UK should have adopted metric system long time back.

It is weird that we buy fuel in L yet measure distances in miles!

We did (mostly). What IS weird is that we go on and on and on talking about MPG, when it hasn't been possible to buy a gallon of fuel for several decades. Car makers encourage this by doing the calcs for us on the dash display, which some posters here advise us to ignore and do our own brim-to-brim measurements. I have been using MPL for a long time as it's easier (11 mpl ­=­­ 50 mpg)

But I don't see why KM is easier to understand than miles, at least as long as that is how we measure our road distances. Ireland had some fun a while back when they went metric, the signposting was a marvellous mishmash. The conventional metric consumption unit is litres per 100km - they see it as using less fuel per distance, not more distance per tankful.

37 MPH ? - Bromptonaut

. What IS weird is that we go on and on and on talking about MPG, when it hasn't been possible to buy a gallon of fuel for several decades.

It's sort of weird but even before we had apps it wasn't exactly rocket science to divide litres by 4.546 to get gallons.

37 MPH ? - Sparrow

If petrol was still sold in gallons we would all immediately realise how expensive it has become. Selling things in smaller quantities is an old trick that retailers like to play on us. Thankfully beer still comes in pints at the pub, but milk is sold in pints in some places but in litres in others (typically in shops at filling stations).

37 MPH ? - galileo

If petrol was still sold in gallons we would all immediately realise how expensive it has become. Selling things in smaller quantities is an old trick that retailers like to play on us. Thankfully beer still comes in pints at the pub, but milk is sold in pints in some places but in litres in others (typically in shops at filling stations).

I seem to remember Winston Smith in "1984" talking to an old chap in a pub who complained that "a 'alf a litre of beer ain't quite enough, it don't satisfy. An a 'ole litre's too much."

Some of Orwell's prophecies have come to pass in ways he could not have foreseen.

37 MPH ? - edlithgow

I seem to remember Winston Smith in "1984" talking to an old chap in a pub who complained that "a 'alf a litre of beer ain't quite enough, it don't satisfy. An a 'ole litre's too much."

Some of Orwell's prophecies have come to pass in ways he could not have foreseen.

Well, that prophesy didn't come to pass, probably because it was forseen it would p*** people off in exactly the way he foresaw.

They do what they think they can get away with.

Which is quite a lot.lately.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/04/2022 at 01:03

37 MPH ? - Andrew-T

<< They do what they think they can get away with. >>

Just like anyone else, eh ? :-)

37 MPH ? - Gibbo_Wirral

If I ever owned one I don't think I'd watch TV while it was driving. Seen too many instances of the tech failing.

Tesla employee: I was fired after sharing video of self-driving car crash

www.theregister.com/2022/03/21/in_brief_ai/

There's a video here, look at all the issues over ten minutes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbSDsbDQjSU

0:00 Introduction

0:56 Hard Brakes

1:12 New Project We Are Working On

1:30 Blind Turn (Traffic Does Not Stop)

2:22 Almost Turns Wrong Way Down Road

2:35 Runs a Red Light

3:05 Good Left Turn

3:20 Minor Collision with Bollard

4:15 Re-Activate FSD Beta

4:52 Hard Brakes for Pedestrian

5:00 Drives Directly Towards Bollards Again

5:10 Right Turn Across Light Rail Track #1

5:45 Right Turn Across Construction

6:00 Right Turn Across Light Rail Track #2 (Unsuccessful)

6:43 Tries to Go Around Car (but quickly realizes it cant)

7:08 Mistakes Building Sign for Stop Sign

7:30 Right Turn with Pedestrians in Cross Walk

7:45 Drives Towards Bollards yet again

7:52 Goes Towards Bollards AGAIN

8:09 Right Turn Across Light Rail Track #3

Could you live with yourself if your car killed someone while you watched TV?

Uber's self-driving operator charged over fatal crash

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54175359

37 MPH ? - Terry W

Seems that Tesla have reached the level of the average numpty driver - there are worse.

I am not sure whether the continual interference on the sat-nav and other controls may have contributed to the errors, nor whether the car was running the latest version of software and sensors, or filmed three + years ago.

If they are as bad as portrayed, no insurance company will cover them anyway - so risks very limited.

37 MPH ? - Andrew-T

If they are as bad as portrayed, no insurance company will cover them anyway - so risks very limited.

Just imagine the fun that could be had by hacking the control systems .... At least that's not possible (yet) with human drivers.

37 MPH ? - sammy1

""Just imagine the fun that could be had by hacking the control systems .... At least that's not possible (yet) with human drivers"""

What happens if one of the cars is compromised and goes rogue? Can you imagine a police chase with the car being so intelligent that it cannot be stopped. How would the police interview the car when eventually stopped. I am taking you into custody and you will be downloaded. I think the best humans can hope for is that insurance companies refuse to cover self driving vehicles.

37 MPH ? - Terry W

Unless your feet have been permanently attached to mother earth, you will have been in an aircraft which is capable of:

• flying for hours on autopilot without doing a belly flop on the nearest field or mountain
  • landing on a runway without hitting the control tower

Few if any malfunctions due to hackers and equipment failures (built in redundancy). As yet no automated take off or taxiing.

It is just plausible an autonomous car could emulate the aviation industry. It would also have a "black box" capable of identifying all the actions or inactions which caused an accident to continuously improve the systems.

Unlike a human driver (one of us) whose recollection is hampered (possibly) by alcohol, tiredness, drugs, emotion, fear of losing no-claims bonus etc.

37 MPH ? - movilogo

>> Can you imagine a police chase with the car being so intelligent that it cannot be stopped. How would the police interview the car when eventually stopped

Now imagine the chasing police car also driven by AI robot :-)

37 MPH ? - galileo

Unless your feet have been permanently attached to mother earth, you will have been in an aircraft which is capable of:

• flying for hours on autopilot without doing a belly flop on the nearest field or mountain
  • landing on a runway without hitting the control tower

Few if any malfunctions due to hackers and equipment failures (built in redundancy). As yet no automated take off or taxiing.

I am currently reading a book by Christine Negroni (who has 20 years experience of Aircrash Investigations).

She documents 6 instances where fluid leaking from the galley on 747,77, 777 and Airbus 300 airliners had caused malfunction of electronics in the equipment room below the galley..

Also a case where a depressurisation valve failed and a flight attendant was killed when opening a door after landing, the cabin was still pressurised and blew him out with the door.

She also points out that for many years Boeing used the same cockpit warning siren for a take-off configuration and for pressurisation failure at altitude, this had caused confusion and near disaster, this was not changed until the FAA instructed manufacturers to use different warning sounds for the different problems.

Aircraft design, manufacture and maintenance have improved over the years but still not 100% proof against malfunction. Admittedly human misuse or misunderstanding is the trigger in most cases, increases in capability lead to even thicker instruction manuals.

Failure to RTM is a common cause of problems with cars now, could be much worse with "self-driving" ones.

37 MPH ? - Andrew-T

<< Failure to RTM is a common cause of problems with cars now, could be much worse with "self-driving" ones. >>

I suspect quite a few owners will only RTM when they need a particular item of info (and quite often find it isn't there - e.g. where to find the oil drain). But while some may have done the first R (read) there follows the second R (remember).

In my software days I occasionally faced the task of writing a manual, which clearly can't be done until the system is complete. At that point is has to be signed off, so the manual may be rushed.

37 MPH ? - Bolt

""Just imagine the fun that could be had by hacking the control systems .... At least that's not possible (yet) with human drivers"""

What happens if one of the cars is compromised and goes rogue? Can you imagine a police chase with the car being so intelligent that it cannot be stopped. How would the police interview the car when eventually stopped. I am taking you into custody and you will be downloaded. I think the best humans can hope for is that insurance companies refuse to cover self driving vehicles.

Self-driving cars: Motorists will not be liable for crashes and can watch TV behind the wheel, government says | UK News | Sky News

I didn`t see it here but it was mentioned on a radio station that the car maker will be responsible for the software and hardware on the motor. not sure why that wasn`t included.

37 MPH ? - Gibbo_Wirral

I didn`t see it here but it was mentioned on a radio station that the car maker will be responsible for the software and hardware on the motor. not sure why that wasn`t included.

Its very interesting, in the US it was the other way:

Uber 'not criminally liable' for self-driving death

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47468391

37 MPH ? - Warning

Software is still man-made. It is prone to error, as there are millions of lines of code. There are lots of people working on a problem and sometimes things break or there are unknown errors.

Someone changes one line of code in one place, it could have unintended consequences elsewhere. Many software staff move from one company to another. In the same way a construction workers move from one building site to another. So there is a lack of continuity.

It is important that the people who write the software and their managers and bosses are held criminalily liable for any errors made by self-driving cars.

I say this because of the way the the post office workers were sent to jail instead of the those computer programmers who developed that defective Horizon software. Also, the investigators at the post office. They lost nothing personally.

37 MPH ? - Terry W

There is a fundamental difference between humans and software.

Normally the former make frequent mistakes each of which impacts only on a limited number of people - eg: a few pedestrians or other car drivers.

The latter have the potential to make much less frequent systematic mistakes but which can impact a large number of people. So a hack or coding error which sees every traffic light as green would clearly be a problem.

However, that real people are involved does not make the problems go away:

• the post office was more a failure of governance, not just a flawed system. A paper based system could be equally flawed.
  • Shrewsbury and Telford hospital baby unit - 200 could have survived with better care. nothing to do with systems bur flawed management
  • Putin - a single person - may have the capacity to end millions of lives through a direct order to his military machine
37 MPH ? - sammy1

"""the post office was more a failure of governance, not just a flawed system. A paper based system could be equally flawed."""

Cannot agree with this statement. Before computers individual businesses were responsible for their own shop. Only when it went central did large scale problems occur and the problem was in the software which management ""chose"" to ignore. On going Public Inquiry into the scandal boarding on criminality in denying the software problem, One of the biggest failings in UK history and lives lost and seriously damaged.

Humans write software and design computers and it is arrogant to place human lives at risk to rely on them completely

37 MPH ? - _

Moved as Thread drift.

ORB

37 MPH ? - alan1302

"""the post office was more a failure of governance, not just a flawed system. A paper based system could be equally flawed."""

Cannot agree with this statement. Before computers individual businesses were responsible for their own shop. Only when it went central did large scale problems occur and the problem was in the software which management ""chose"" to ignore. On going Public Inquiry into the scandal boarding on criminality in denying the software problem, One of the biggest failings in UK history and lives lost and seriously damaged.

Humans write software and design computers and it is arrogant to place human lives at risk to rely on them completely

So a paper based system can't be flawed and just because it's run by an individual postmaster there can't be any flaws?

37 MPH ? - galileo

So a paper based system can't be flawed and just because it's run by an individual postmaster there can't be any flaws?

As usual, Alan, you have to take a contradictory position.

A paper system can be checked by anyone competent in arithmetic, this is the basis by which companies have been audited for many years.

I worked with auditors at annual company stocktakes for a number of years so have some experience in this process.

If defective software produces dud figures it is not t.o so easy to verify, which this disaster proved beyond doubt. .

37 MPH ? - Engineer Andy

As usual, Alan, you have to take a contradictory position.

A paper system can be checked by anyone competent in arithmetic, this is the basis by which companies have been audited for many years.

I worked with auditors at annual company stocktakes for a number of years so have some experience in this process.

If defective software produces dud figures it is not t.o so easy to verify, which this disaster proved beyond doubt. .

Indeed - cr@p in, cr@p out. Had the same problem dealing with graduate engineers solely relying on computer-based calc packages to do designs.

The problem always was that even if the packages were 100% fault-free (code-wise or operationally), all it would take is one (of several) input errors by the engineer doing the work and it could give the wrong result.

Spotting that wrong answer and knowing what the likely cause was was always difficult for them because they weren't capable (or didn''t remember how) of doing a by-hand / in-your-head check or had the experience to know approximately what the answer should be.

A small error can be easily compounded by other factors and can (and has) lead to significant operational problems at crutial moments, either costing large sums of money to put right (or delays which cost a lot) or in a few cases can lead to serious injury or worse.

Most didn't want to learn those skills and, because of industry cost-cutting over the past 20 years, was was checked less and less by more senior staff which lead to more errors. Checking ones' own homework or blindly assuming software (or input data) is always correct is unfortuantely par for the course in many lines of work these days, whether due to cost / time pressures, poor management and/or sheer laziness/ the attitude of the modern workforce.

Computerised systems are only as good as the people who design and operate them - which I'm sorry to say often isn't up to the job these days. Rather like insurance customer service call centres where precious few of the people there actually are properly qualified to make judgement calls.

37 MPH ? - galileo

Andy, I agree with your points, on quality of performance.

On another forum today someone raised the question "what happened to proof-reading of newspapers?".

I know my daughter was made redundant over 10 years ago, along with all the others, on the newspaper owners' assumption that reporters were a) capable and b) conscientious enough to save the cost of independent proof-readers.

Another consequence of dumbing down education and rating cost cutting above quality. A trend noticeable with the cars produced by some manufacturers, dealers and repair workshops if posts on here are to be believed.

Edited by galileo on 23/04/2022 at 15:48

37 MPH ? - Xileno

During my software career I have seen too many cases where testing was limited. Generally projects work in thirds - design, code and test. Some managers too eager to get work out the door see testing as something that can be trimmed. Depending on the project sometimes the risks can be tolerated. Fortunately I have worked on Defence projects for many years now, testing has to be more than thorough and that suits me fine, I am much happier working like that.

37 MPH ? - Engineer Andy

I suppose the change from concept --> design --> test --> release to market has now changed to minimise the testing phase to make it safe but now outsourcing testing as 'beta testing' to the end user who now has to put up with poor useability (for the high price they pay) and endless 'software updates' and other mods that inconvenience them and (with cars) cost them money (fuel and time spent) taking them to be updated.

The number of engineering software packages I had to use (to 'be more productive' [i.e. to cut costs [I never saw any of the benefits - they all went to the firm's owners]) I found were incredibly poorly written (even after several updates) amazed me.

I found that using my own automated calcs using spreadsheets was sometimes better for some calculations rather than industry software - and I'm no expert on software. Most computer-literate engineers could easily do the same if they had the time.

I did read on the Interweb recently about some Army vehicle having hundreds of defects and the designers have thus far only managed to fix a dozen or so. I suppose at least they don't put it in the field yet, but still - the amount of money this must be costing (the MoD is probably the biggest over-spender [vs budget] for project work in government) is probably HUGE.

Sadly the KISS principle seems to be increasing ignored in modern tech.

37 MPH ? - Andrew-T

I suppose the change from concept --> design --> test --> release to market has now changed to minimise the testing phase to make it safe but now outsourcing testing as 'beta testing' to the end user who now has to put up with poor useability ....

I don't believe there is an ideal 'happy medium' in the design of software - if there is, it must be somewhere between deliberately doing it in thought-out steps from simplicity to expanding capability, and rushing out something full of bugs in order to minimise cost. As has been memorably said, no-one knows exactly what they want till they've got one, at which point they begin to think of all kinds of improvements and new features.

I did once put together a small database system which I found had been carefully and thoroughly specced - right first time. But usually it was a matter of gradual refinement by beta-testing, so that at least the end-users felt they 'own' the system because they helped to build it. But all that was on a local scale. I would hate to try something for the NHS, for example.