Getting back into cycling with an ebike - badbusdriver

I used to cycle quite a lot, not competitive or anything, and I've never had a drop bar road bike. I did have a mountain bike, but the type of cycling opportunities round my neck of the wood were far more road biased and so I changed it for a fairly light hybrid with 700c wheels.

But about 10 years ago, for various reasons, the cycling pretty much stopped.

Meanwhile, my Mother was starting to find her bike hard work as she got older and I had been mentioning ebike's on and off to her for a while. She is quite stubborn though and resistant to change, but also, she'd had her bike for well over 20 years and wasn't keen to get rid of it. But she finally relented about 2 years ago and set me the task of choosing an bike best suited to her, which I did. Unsurprisingly she absolutely loved it and wished she'd made the move way sooner!.

Hearing of her own renewed enjoyment of cycling got me thinking about the possibility of getting my own ebike, and after turning 50 earlier this year I decided to take the plunge. I settled on an NCM Milano Plus because there was a very good discount on at the time and because it (the 'Plus' model) had a bigger than usual 16Ah battery. My thoughts being that when I cycled previously I had various routes I would follow up to 30-35 miles. And the thought of having a flat battery and having to get a 30kg bike back with no assistance wasn't too appealing (even though it would undoubtably be a good workout!). I also had in mind that I could cycle to my parents (around 28 miles) with the charger (which isn't heavy), put it on charge for the few hours I'd be there to give me enough range for the cycle home again.

The bike arrived in the middle of February but with short days, weather, work commitments and if I'm being honest with myself, depression, it took a while to 'get going'. But absolutely loving it now and making a point of going out on a Sunday morning for a decent run (weather permitting) of at least 20 miles, plus maybe a shorter one on a weekday evening. In addition, I did the run to my parents a couple of weeks ago as I had some days off work. The pleasure of powering up a steepish hill at 15mph while putting a fairly modest amount of effort into the pedals can't really be overstated!.

Minus points are few. The 15.5mph (25km/h) restriction feels maybe a little too overcautious to me, especially given that it really isn't that hard to cycle a 'normal' bike faster than that. The power can be a bit slow coming back in if you stop pedalling briefly to go over a speed bump, also if going downhill (faster than the motor will work) then uphill, the power is again a bit tardy coming back on. As I said earlier, it is a heavy bike, and that does take a bit of getting used to when stopping at a junction, or manoeuvring it into or out of the shed.

Other than that, its all good. To the point that I have now been looking into whether I could get an even bigger battery to do longer runs. I can, but it would cost circa £400 for a 21A(!), so it will have to wait.

But to anyone thinking about taking the plunge and getting an ebike, go for it, you won't regret it!. Just make sure you do the research and get something which is suitable for what you want it for, and with good owners reviews. Also look out for discounts, I bought mine in January and the RRP was reduced from £1599 to £1119!.

Of course area does also play a very big part in my enjoyment, and I do have an exceptional selection of country routes on quiet roads I can choose from.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/05/2022 at 20:56

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - Xileno

Excellent overview, thanks for writing it. I'm seeing more of these ebikes around now, often ridden by those of more senior years. There must be lots of riders who gave up but would have kept going longer with an ebike. I can see the attraction although I'm not there yet. There seems to be two designs - those that power the wheel directly and those that give pedal assistance.

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - bathtub tom

You don't say how far you're travelling. I did a 13 mile jaunt on my bike and my bum really hurt on the way back, perhaps it's the saddle?

You don't say how far you're travelling. I did a 13 mile jaunt on my bike and my bum really hurt on the way back, perhaps it's the saddle?

My journeys have been up to 35 miles. The run to my folks was about 56 miles, but that was in total (around 28 each way), I was there for 4 hours before setting off home.

Saddle comfort can be a huge problem and put folk off cycling. Unfortunately it is not that easy to determine which saddle is going to be comfortable for you, despite reviews. Only once you have bought it and used it for a decent cycle or two will you know!.

A couple of general points though.

A lot of folk think the wider the saddle the comfier it will be, but that isn't necessarily the case. If it is too wide, it will dig into the top of your thighs when your leg is fully extended down, impeding you from pedalling effectively. If you are just going out for leisure cycles, you don't want anything to racy either though, its about striking a balance. I actually replaced the saddle on my ebike with one I already had on another older bike, a Specialized Expedition. A lot of folk swear by Brooks saddles, but they are expensive if you don't find it works for you! (though I guess you could get back most of the outlay by selling it on again).

Also, look at the angle of the saddle from the side of the bike, the back of the saddle shouldn't be higher than the front. It should either be level, or the front slightly higher than the rear. I adjusted my Mothers saddle because of this not too long ago, she now finds it much more comfy.

My next project on the bike is to replace the handlebar with one that put my hands and arms at a more natural position. But it isn't going to be that straightforward as I found that the gear change cable won't reach the position they go on the new handlebar, neither will the two cables going from the controller display to the brake levers, doh!.

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - Engineer Andy

My journeys have been up to 35 miles. The run to my folks was about 56 miles, but that was in total (around 28 each way), I was there for 4 hours before setting off home.

Even though I'm also 'back in the saddle' (as it were) again since the start of the Pandemic, my general lack of fitness meant I've had to work up slowly to going out for longer trips, starting by laps around the town, then as the weather allows extended runs around the countryside (avoiding main roads where possible - too dangerous in my area) for 15+ miles

I've been also going swimming and for brisk (and longer) walks more often as well to help.

That and having my main meal as either a brunch or lunch instead of the 'evening meal' and leaving 1.5 - 2 hrs after easting to going out on the bike (or swimming) seems to also help a good bit make best use of the food and not lead to any 'difficulties' of one sort of another when out.

Result - I feel far better, have regained a decent amount of fitness (especially endurance) and finally after losing some weight (fat, not that I had much on my slim frame to start with) am putting some muscle back on.

Plus I get to see the countryside when the weather allows. Definitely worth the effort and would thoroughly recommend it.

Now pushing a bit more up until my forthcoming holiday in the West Country to ensure I can actually accomplish all the decent amount of walking / hiking, cycling (38 mile round trip on one), swimming and golf I would like to do and previously had to cut back a bit when I was working due to the lack of fitness.

Very noticeable how many relatives, some around my age but mostly of my parents age (mid - late 70s) have lost a significant amount of fitness and are not so healthly generally because of the effects of the Pandemic response (including psychological) and people working in different ways.

The good thing about owning a bike is once bought, using it is essentially free (aside from relatively minor maintenance), and for those of us who don't mind using 100% human motive power, it certainly can help our well-being!

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - De Sisti

Also, look at the angle of the saddle from the side of the bike, the back of the saddle shouldn't be higher than the front. It should either be level, or the front slightly higher than the rear.

As someone who cycles more than driving, from personal experience, I would disagree with the statement in bold. You don't want the front of your saddle pressing against the underside of your scrotum area. In my experience, the saddle should be level, or the back slightly higher (by not a lot).

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - Bromptonaut

If you don't ride regularly your behind gets soft and hurts when you start again. Aches and pains like bruising are just a thing to put up with. If it's rubbing and chafing then clothing and or saddle need looking at.

All 3 of my bikes, the 35y/o tourer, the urban MTB and the eponymous folder have Brooks saddles like the B17. Even breaking them in wasn't hard work.

If you don't ride regularly your behind gets soft and hurts when you start again. Aches and pains like bruising are just a thing to put up with. If it's rubbing and chafing then clothing and or saddle need looking at.

As a previously quite regaular cyclist in my youth who then only dabbled occasionally after starting work until the start of the pandemic, I quite agree on taking things up more regularly or with a new bike or wearing the 'wrong' clothing, especially in the underwear dept!

All 3 of my bikes, the 35y/o tourer, the urban MTB and the eponymous folder have Brooks saddles like the B17. Even breaking them in wasn't hard work.

After the first few rides, the soreness has mainly subsided on my new-ish (mountain) bike I was given (a neighbour didn't want theirs and barely had used it). Now if only my creaky knees would behave!

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - Andrew-T

If you are worried less about image than comfort, the Dutch (more riders than Brits) use a variety of comfortable saddles which many bike shops here have never seen. SWMBO has had one which daughter brought home after a few years in Holland.

Excellent overview, thanks for writing it. I'm seeing more of these ebikes around now, often ridden by those of more senior years. There must be lots of riders who gave up but would have kept going longer with an ebike. I can see the attraction although I'm not there yet. There seems to be two designs - those that power the wheel directly and those that give pedal assistance.

The ebikes which don't require you to pedal are not actually legal to use in this country other than on private land. But you can get them fairly easily through some of the Chinese online market places like alibaba, banggood etc (some of these will go to 50kmh). Of course the Police don't have the manpower or time to deal with this, so it is just ignored for the most part. I have actually seen ones that don't even have pedals, just a couple of pegs like the pillion on a motorbike would have.

There are three variations as far as I can see (all of which may or may not require pedal assistance depending on where it came from), hub motor in the front wheel, hub motor in the rear wheel, or mid mount, where the motor is on the crank. But I have also seen an aftermarket kit where a grippy roller is pushed against the rear tyre and this provides the drive.

There does seem to be some with the opinion that an ebike is cheating somehow, or that you are not getting exercise. Re the latter, assuming you get an EU/UK approved ebike, you will have to pedal. So no, you won't be getting as much exercise as a normal bike, but you are getting exercise. And if the draw of going out because it is easier means that I do actually go out rather than sitting in front of the TV, that can only be a good thing.

The 15.5mph (25km/h) restriction feels maybe a little too overcautious to me, especially given that it really isn't that hard to cycle a 'normal' bike faster than that.

I'll say ! Back in my student days around 1960, I rode from Marlborough on the A4 to Bristol with panniers and some other kit, and managed to overtake a bimbling Rolls-Royce going down Black Dog Hill near Chippenham. And I seem to remember a schoolmate in Hertfordshire being reprimanded by a plod for doing 34 in the local 30 zone. No idea how he had estimated the speed.

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - _

Which reminds me of two of my delights in cycling.

At the tender age of 18, with schoolboy french.. hitchhiked to Paris from North wales to buy a peugeot racing bike and rode it back home over the next few days in november.

Part2 was buying another in the early 80's in france, when I lived in Geneva, and cycling happily to work.

Evenings and weekends some cycling with mates up and around lac leman.

Happy days.

Edited by _ORB_ on 16/05/2022 at 18:04

Meant to say, I have very much noticed being given more room by the majority of car drivers. Not them all of course, but it makes me more confident of venturing on to busier roads. Don't get me wrong, I avoid them as much as possible, but some of my circuits do involve riding a few hundred meters on a busier road getting from one quieter one to another.

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - Manatee

If you can do 35 miles on it, it must be OK.

I ended up with 2 ebikes which at the moment I only use for fetching the paper! The converted Brompton, front hub drive, has only a cadence sensor and is totally different in the way it provides power to the Bosch-powered mid-drive Cube.which is torque sensing.

You can 'ghost' pedal the Brompton, but the Cube always requires at least some effort from the rider and feels much more like a conventional cycle.

I get on with them both, but the range on the Brompton is much lower as it has a small, light battery as befits a folding bike.

Also, look at the angle of the saddle from the side of the bike, the back of the saddle shouldn't be higher than the front. It should either be level, or the front slightly higher than the rear.

As someone who cycles more than driving, from personal experience, I would disagree with the statement in bold. You don't want the front of your saddle pressing against the underside of your scrotum area. In my experience, the saddle should be level, or the back slightly higher (by not a lot).

Obviously here there is personal preference and saddle design to take into account. But apart from my own experience which is the opposite of yours, style of cycling is a big factor here. I have no doubt that on a bike with drop bars, having the rear of the saddle up slightly will feel more natural, but not for an upright riding style. And I did say the front, if higher at all, should be only slightly (maybe 1cm), so there is no reason the front of the saddle would be causing any discomfort unless you are often leaning forward.

I had a conversation not too long ago with my Mother (upright riding style), she had the sensation of sliding around on her saddle. I had a look at it and could see that the rear of the saddle was slightly higher than the front. Thinking that the sliding she described was feeling that she was sliding off the front, I adjusted it so the front was slightly higher and she is now much happier.

I did the same for my pal after he described not being very comfortable on his new bike (again, upright riding style). He is also much happier now.

But I guess the main point to get across is that it is fairly easy to adjust the angle of most saddles, so if you are not finding it too comfortable, try some adjustment before shelling out on a new saddle.

Obviously here there is personal preference and saddle design to take into account. But apart from my own experience which is the opposite of yours, style of cycling is a big factor here. I have no doubt that on a bike with drop bars, having the rear of the saddle up slightly will feel more natural, but not for an upright riding style. And I did say the front, if higher at all, should be only slightly (maybe 1cm), so there is no reason the front of the saddle would be causing any discomfort unless you are often leaning forward.

I had a conversation not too long ago with my Mother (upright riding style), she had the sensation of sliding around on her saddle. I had a look at it and could see that the rear of the saddle was slightly higher than the front. Thinking that the sliding she described was feeling that she was sliding off the front, I adjusted it so the front was slightly higher and she is now much happier.

Fair enough (even though that 1cm could be a noticeable difference to some people).

Been thinking about an update since its been about a year since I got my (NCM Milano Plus) ebike. I also passed the 1000 miles today (which took longer than it should have) while out on a wee cycle (before the winter weather kicks back in tomorrow!), so that made up my mind.

First thing I suppose I should admit is that armed with the knowledge and experienced gained over the course of the year, I now wish I'd gone for the mountain bike version with the same motor and battery as mine (NCM Moscow Plus). The principle reason for this is extra cushioning of the fatter tyres. Which isn't to say I go off road because I don't, other than on what used to be a railway line, now an unsurfaced path. But the combination of the state of the roads in general, the state of the former railway line in places, couple with the weight of the bike overall and the 'unsprung' weight of the motor within the rear wheel, means I would just have a little more confidence, and it would open up extra 'routes' for me that I'd be very wary of or (more likely) just avoid otherwise. There is the possibility of fitting fatter tyres (current OE tyres are 28x1.5) on to the wheels, but clearance would dictate I couldn't go that much bigger. The potential for problems was highlighted several months ago when I decided to try a new route of about 30 miles in total with half on the old railway line. Some parts were much rougher than I expected and while washing the bike once home, I discovered 3 broken spokes on the rear wheel!. It isn't a huge issue though, I just have to be mindful of the road surface and be particularly careful around kerbs.

The broken spokes threw up another potential drawback, not of my bike specifically, but buying online. Went in to Halfords to ask about getting new spokes fitted, but the manager wasn't very keen at all because I hadn't bought it from them. Said another branch in Aberdeenshire had worked on a non-Halfords ebike and they were accused of breaking it. But she did say I should come back in the next day and speak to their bike mechanic/builder. Now I have to point out, I was confident I could replace the spokes, I just had my doubts I could align the wheel properly. But I decided to remove the rear wheel completely, that way there was very little possibility of any problems and the Halfords bike guy was happy enough to fix it the next day while I waited.

So as for the rest, its all good on the proviso that I don't run out of charge while on a cycle because it really is a beast!. Cycled back and fore to my parents 6 times during the year and looking forward to doing that again soon. Its a great (circa 28 miles and 80-90 minutes each way) run with some amazing views and is all done on very quiet country roads (though I cross a couple of busier ones). On a nice day it is hugely enjoyable.

I now have a Brooks B67 saddle on it, so comfort is fine for the most part. But on a longer run I do still find myself standing up on the pedals when possible just to get a bit of a break and some extra ventilation(!). Furthest I've gone in one go was 38 miles, but range is affected by terrain and wind.

One thing that could be useful, in the specific event of the battery running flat while on a cycle, is an extra set of gears. Comes as a 1 x 8, but having a 2 x 8 setup would make it feasible to cycle up more than the gentlest of hills should I run out of electricity!. But I could probably do this myself if there is somewhere to mount the front mech.

The plan is for the next 1000 miles to be completed quicker, so watch this space!.

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - FP

All this stuff about cycling makes me feel nostalgic.

In my teens I had a couple of racing bikes (but suitable for the road). They were short wheelbase and not very comfortable. Both were hand-built, one by Hobbs, which I grew out of, and the other, a larger one by Ephgrave. No doubt the frame design and all the rest would be considered very outmoded now, but they were light, taut machines that were thrilling to ride.

Unfortunately I didn't do any serious riding after uni. Over the years my fitness deteriorated and now I have to admit I've lost my nerve to start again, being aware of how vulnerable cyclists are and how there is often bad blood between motorists and cyclists.

I've started going to an exercise class on Mondays and the gym on Fridays, and try to walk every day. I'm afraid I have to drive to get to both. Sad, really.

Unfortunately I didn't do any serious riding after uni. Over the years my fitness deteriorated and now I have to admit I've lost my nerve to start again, being aware of how vulnerable cyclists are and how there is often bad blood between motorists and cyclists.

That is a shame FP and I am well aware of how lucky I am re my location. Although the largest town in Aberdeenshire, Peterhead is not that big compared to some. But also, where I live within the town makes it easy for me to get out into the country on to quiet roads from 3 different directions with minimal time on busier (but not that busy, and not fast) roads.

I would say that an ebike would probably give you more confidence cycling on urban roads (certainly with a bike as physically large as mine), so I would suggest trying one if you have the opportunity. Though if you have no easy access to the countryside, there may be limited enjoyment available?.

<< Although the largest town in Aberdeenshire, Peterhead is not that big compared to some. >>

Strange that Aberdeen is no longer in Aberdeenshire ! :-)

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - Adampr

<< Although the largest town in Aberdeenshire, Peterhead is not that big compared to some. >>

That's a city..

That's a city..

Indeed, city and shire (Mr f***o)

That's a city..

Indeed, city and shire (Mr f***o)

And why, prey tell has 'F r o d o' fallen victim to the swear filter?

I guess I'd better not start a Lord Of The Rings thread?

Edited by badbusdriver on 06/03/2023 at 18:41

No idea. It's in the list for some reason. Mods can add words but we can't remove them, only IT can do that.

No idea. It's in the list for some reason. Mods can add words but we can't remove them, only IT can do that.

Some, I understand, because a computer programme sees a certain sequence of letters but doesn't see the other letters around it making a different word entirely, but utterly baffled in this case?

Hey ho!

<< Some, I understand, because a computer program sees a certain sequence of letters but doesn't see the other letters around it making a different word entirely ... >>

That takes me back about 50 years. My then boss, a polymer scientist, used to do literature searches with the primitive computing tools available then. He was amused when it found 'urea' in the American Bureau of Standards ....

[ how are we doing for topic drift ? ]

Edited by Andrew-T on 06/03/2023 at 23:02

No idea. It's in the list for some reason.

IIRC from the distant past, 'F r o d' was regarded as a slur word referring to certain vehicular products from Merseyside. I haven't heard it used for a very long time, so perhaps it could go from the list of forbidden words - if for no better reason than that I could (if I chose) successfully type the name of the town I live in ....

Did it move out? Declare its independence?

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - alan1302

Did it move out? Declare its independence?

It wanted a change.

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - SLO76
Cycling kept me sane (though swmbo disagrees) during lockdown and beyond. I covered thousands of miles over the last couple of years, thankfully I live in a very picturesque part of the country with plenty of off-road cycle paths and quiet country lanes to get lost down.

I was into mountain biking in a fairly big way as a teen but bought an expensive carbon fibre racing bike to get back into cycling a few years back, then after countless punctures and near misses with HGV’s and angry bus drivers (most of whom know me) I flogged the racer and dug the old faithful 2003 Claude Butler Cape Wrath out the garage and serviced it.

I love nothing more than being miles from other people down a winding country dirt track. There’s one route I regularly frequent, a 47 miles path along the river Ayr from Ayr to Muirkirk - a tiny nowhere town where tarmac was apparently invented. There are loads of fascinating old industrial sites around the area I’ve explored on my old bike and taken pics of. The Union Canal between Glasgow and Edinburgh is another very pleasant wee run, but the canal side cafes and bars are a temptation.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/03/2023 at 08:15

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - corax
I was into mountain biking in a fairly big way as a teen but bought an expensive carbon fibre racing bike to get back into cycling a few years back, then after countless punctures

Just get some puncture proof road tyres like Schwalbe Marathons. They are stiff to get on the wheel, but worth it for the protection. They feel heavyish to ride on if you're a racer, but no other downsides. Or a gravel based tyre and tyre sealant, that's what I have - no punctures yet. Must stress that I don't do a lot of cycling, but I like it to be hassle free.

Cycling kept me sane (though swmbo disagrees) during lockdown and beyond. I covered thousands of miles over the last couple of years, thankfully I live in a very picturesque part of the country with plenty of off-road cycle paths and quiet country lanes to get lost down.

Exactly what I was doing. And getting a big vitamin-D boost free of charge. Will be back on the saddle (knees willing) when the weather improves - fed up with walking around my (small) town in Herts!

I was into mountain biking in a fairly big way as a teen but bought an expensive carbon fibre racing bike to get back into cycling a few years back, then after countless punctures and near misses with HGV’s and angry bus drivers (most of whom know me) I flogged the racer and dug the old faithful 2003 Claude Butler Cape Wrath out the garage and serviced it.

I was always previously a purely on-road cyclist, but as I got a very sturdy (and very heavy) mountain bike as a freebie, I thought I would at least try it out 'off road' (no mountains near me, some relatively steep (but small) hills.

It was ok, and I really prefer the country lanes because you can choose your speed according to your fitness without getting in the way of cars, etc and can see the lovely countryside (not so easy when you're really concentrating off road!).

That reminds me - I need mine serviced before I venture out - I did well over 500 miles last summer/autumn and some of the gear changes (4th - 5th - 6th of 21) can sometimes be decidedly dodgy. Tried adjusting them myself and it didn't improve the situation!

I love nothing more than being miles from other people down a winding country dirt track. There’s one route I regularly frequent, a 47 miles path along the river Ayr from Ayr to Muirkirk - a tiny nowhere town where tarmac was apparently invented.

Nothing like a well tarmaced bit or road. My county council now likes to penny-pinch on country lanes (and a lot of bigger roads too) and endlessly top-dress, which takes ages for it to properly flatten out.

There are loads of fascinating old industrial sites around the area I’ve explored on my old bike and taken pics of. The Union Canal between Glasgow and Edinburgh is another very pleasant wee run, but the canal side cafes and bars are a temptation.

Don't give in - at least until after you've finished your ride!

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - sammy1

When I first started cycling my first bike had not gears, When I bought my first racer it had a 3 speed Sturmey Archer and you had a job to get up some hills. This progressed to a 5speed Derailleur and you could climb almost anything here in South Wales Now the choice of bikes is vast from road to mountain bikes. One thing I would comment on with the e-bike is the weight of the bike and bulk of the thing. It looks far from aerodynamic and whereas you could pick up a racing bike with one finger, lifting an electric bike weighing some 50 pounds or more for some would not be easy. Still EV bikes are fine for getting about if used in a sensible manner. What is worrying is the instances of e-bikes catching fire when parked in homes not many but reason to be wary

When I first started cycling my first bike had not gears, When I bought my first racer it had a 3 speed Sturmey Archer and you had a job to get up some hills. This progressed to a 5speed Derailleur and you could climb almost anything here in South Wales Now the choice of bikes is vast from road to mountain bikes.

Again sounds similar to my story over the years - first started around 7 with a Tomahawk (I hated it), then at 10 or so with a 'Commando' which had that same hub gear system - which broke after a year and was permanently stuck in first gear.

Then in the mid 80s got another second bike, this time a Dawes 5-speed racer, which was far better, especially at going quickly. I could still see that I definitely needed more gears, so my next bike, a brand new 10-speed Raleigh Pioneer - a big improvement, except for that it was a real pain to keep the rust at bay (all steel construction if I recall).

I mistakenly changed it (after it had rusted sitting outside after I had moved to my current home) for what I thought was something similar with a 'modern' Raleigh equivalent, which, surprise, surprise, rusted in no time flat as well.

Just glad the hand-me-down MTB I've now got doesn't corrode. Just a shame it weighs a tonne in comparison to my two previous bikes (never mind the racer), but I'm not complaining given it was free!

One thing I would comment on with the e-bike is the weight of the bike and bulk of the thing. It looks far from aerodynamic and whereas you could pick up a racing bike with one finger, lifting an electric bike weighing some 50 pounds or more for some would not be easy. Still EV bikes are fine for getting about if used in a sensible manner. What is worrying is the instances of e-bikes catching fire when parked in homes not many but reason to be wary

A former boss had an e-bike Brompton, and loved to zoom about to and from the office to Kings Cross station and occasionally to meetings. Unfortunately he didn't spot a pothole one day and had a rather nasty accident, fracturing his arm and getting concussed, and supposedly not the first time either!

I'd be more concerned about the safety aspect of certain e-bikes if any potential owner isn't already fully acquainted with using small-wheeled cycles. Probably not so bad with standard-sized bikes, but as you say, that would presumably add quite a bit to the weight, even more so if they wanted a folding version for a commute.

I've noticed that on my annual holiday to Cornwall of late (last 5 years, and especially this past year), far more of the leisure cycle hire places are hiring out (standard size) e-bikes, mainly to older and/or overwight holidaymakers - I suppose they can join in when they may have strugled before, but it certainly comes at a big cost - they're about 3x the price to hire, more so if you want one with a decent capacity battery pack.

I suspect that some overcharging problems will occur on new tech, given the same did on mobile phones and laptops some years ago. Presumably the lower quality/priced makes don't feature the type of battery charging protection of the better ones?

One thing I would comment on with the e-bike is the weight of the bike and bulk of the thing. It looks far from aerodynamic and whereas you could pick up a racing bike with one finger, lifting an electric bike weighing some 50 pounds or more for some would not be easy.

This will clearly come as a shock sammy, but not all ebikes are the same. They come in all different shapes, sizes and weights.

While (obviously) any ebike is going to be heavier like for like than a purely human powered equivalent, just how much heavier depends on many factors, but you can certainly get ebikes weighing under 15kg. My bike has a bigger than average battery (my choice as I wanted the extra range) and is a big bike anyway, so it weighs around 30kg excluding bits and bobs I've added. My mother's ebike is of a similar style, slightly smaller, not quite so chunky and has a smaller battery, it weighs around 23kg. The Gtech ebike (no longer available) stripped everything right back to the bare essentials with single speed, belt drive, smallish battery and weighed 16kg. That is only a couple of kg's more than a conventional but geared flat bar hybrid style bike.

Some, usually more basic, ebikes have a longer wheelbase because the battery is mounted vertically behind the seatpost and will add 4-6" in length. But other than that, there is no reason for an ebike to be any bulkier than a conventional equivalent. My particular ebike is of an upright (sit-up-and-beg) style and is the larger of the two sizes (700c wheels rather than 26"), so it is a big bike physically.

As for aerodynamics, unless a racing bike this is of little relevance. And bear in mind a UK/EU spec ebike will only assist up to 25km/h (and only while the rider is pedalling). My bike is most definitely not aerodynamic but it isn't supposed to be as it is not that type of bike. I would expect only a tiny percentage of the average ebike buyer to be interested in how slippery the shape is, but for those, you get racer style ebikes.

Still EV bikes are fine for getting about if used in a sensible manner.

As is the case for a conventional bicycle, scooter, e scooter, moped, motorbike, car, roller skates, pogo stick, horse, pony, donkey, etc, etc

What is worrying is the instances of e-bikes catching fire when parked in homes not many but reason to be wary

I'd be wanting to know the circumstances before worrying.

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - alan1302

What is worrying is the instances of e-bikes catching fire when parked in homes not many but reason to be wary

Most things can catch fire - just make sure you are buying a reputable make from a reputable dealer - no reason to be wary. I'd not be wary of buying a smartphone/laptop/car/tablet/sofa/furniture etc so why worry about an eBike?

There are lots of people out there who feel an ebike would help them get out and enjoy being on a bicycle but are put off buying one. They needn't be lazy, they needn't be obese, they needn't have some physical condition which means they struggle on a purely pedal powered bike. People don't cycle only to improve their physical fitness or to lose weight, they can just do it for the enjoyment.

My pal bought a new bicycle about 6 months before I bought my ebike and told me at the time he had also been looking at ebikes. When I asked why he didn't plump for an ebike he said it was because he thought that would be 'cheating'. Knowing him as well as I do, I know that what he actually meant was that he was worried other people would think he was cheating. Because there is this kind of stigma attached to ebikes, that you need to have a reason for buying an ebike, so you find statements like, "I bought en ebike because my knees are knackered". When in fact it should be fine to buy an ebike simply because you would enjoy it. And if you enjoy it you are more likely to use it.

Which brings me neatly back to my pal. To the best of my knowledge, he has been out on his new bike 3 times and one of those was to Halfords to have the gears adjusted after he bought it.

In addition, there are people who choose an ebike as a means of getting to work without arriving all sweaty and in need of a shower (which may not be a problem in some jobs, but in an office environment?).

Edited by Xileno on 13/03/2023 at 19:41

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - sammy1

"""" If people want to spend their money on an expensive bike they are free to do so. What they will be getting is a more heavy and clumsy machine compared to the traditional bike. The e-bike is less aerodynamic and if you were to caught in a cross wind or draught from a juggernaut you would no all about it The cost of all bikes today means you dare not leave them unattended as they are a target for the criminal element. There are an increasing number of e-bikes travelling around without pedal assistance, These are throttle operated and require no pedal impute. This seems at odds with e-scooters as far as the law is concerned. The only difference I can see is the pedals they are both throttle operated. The throttle e-bike is not much good if you need to get fit.

I expect with a little know how you could easily change you peddle assist e-bike to a throttle one

Edited by Xileno on 13/03/2023 at 19:43

Engineer Andy wrote (13 Mar 2023 14:12)

They can be a good way of getting someone who is seriously unfit for their age back towards better health, often because getting over that proverbial first hurdle can be quite difficult and tedious.

I spent (as someone in their late 40s who should've been a good deal fitter, but never overwight) well over a month, maybe nearer two just doing laps around my rather small town because I just wasn't physically capable of making it up the long or steep hills to go on longer rides out of town.

I suspect many would've just given up without a bit of help. In many ways, I was fortunate that I had nothing better to do because of the pandemic and had good weather.

That people who previously couldn't join in now can, and may help push them to much better health (even if that's over the longer term) and to using a 'normal' bicycle after an e-bike, then great for them. I often feel sorry for those who cannot join in with other friends/family members on bike rides, especially when they are on a day out or holiday.

Rather like someone owning an EV, the may (eventually, perhaps) own both an electric one and a standard one, transferring across when they are either fitter or doing routes / trips that they feel they can get the best use out of it.

Following complaints I've made some edits and deletions to tidy up the thread.

Can we stick to criticising what people have written and not sniping and personal digs.

This has taken a lot longer to do than it should as some posts were tangled up with hidden spam. I can think of better things to do after work.

No discussion about moderating here please (posts will be deleted). If you disagree with the moderation in any thread then do so by email: moderators@honestjohn.co.uk

Mods

If I'm out for a cycle I tend to steer clear of busier roads. Partly because I don't have the confidence I used to, but mainly because I just don't trust the majority of car drivers to either be paying enough attention to see me, or leave enough space to pass. But some of my routes do involve being on busier roads for a short distance, usually with no problems.

Today the route I was doing involved getting on to the A90 Aberdeen to Peterhead road, going about 500m along it, then turning off. During that 500m I was passed by three cars. The first of these left a reasonable amount of space but was not on the other side of the road, the second passed with about a foot of clearance into oncoming traffic (!). I suspect the third did not see me until the very last second because although it passed pretty close (not as close as the second car) the car was still steering away from the side of the road well past me. And just to be clear, I was wearing a (very) bright yellow high viz jacket.

So all in all, not a great experience, and not a good indication that the new regs. as well as the adverts on the TV, are making drivers more considerate towards cyclists!. I'll maybe need to look into getting some kind of camera!.

You have to allow for drivers who enjoy looking at their phone or their i-c-e while driving. Never used to happen in the old days, all they might do is look at the person in the passenger seat.

Getting back into cycling with an ebike - corax

Never used to happen in the old days, all they might do is look at the person in the passenger seat.

Or put out the cigarette that's fallen into their lap.

Never used to happen in the old days, all they might do is look at the person in the passenger seat.

Or put out the cigarette that's fallen into their lap.

That was one of HJ's biggest bugbears - if I recall, he said something along the lines of that he couldn't believe it was legal to be able to have something deliberately set on fire in a car whilst driving. :-)

Given that smoking (ciggies, anyway) is on the wane these days, it's more likely to be a bup of steaming hot coffee from Costa / Starbucks between the driver's thighs. Not sure which is the more potentially dangerous!

If I'm out for a cycle I tend to steer clear of busier roads. Partly because I don't have the confidence I used to, but mainly because I just don't trust the majority of car drivers to either be paying enough attention to see me, or leave enough space to pass. But some of my routes do involve being on busier roads for a short distance, usually with no problems.

Today the route I was doing involved getting on to the A90 Aberdeen to Peterhead road, going about 500m along it, then turning off. During that 500m I was passed by three cars. The first of these left a reasonable amount of space but was not on the other side of the road, the second passed with about a foot of clearance into oncoming traffic (!). I suspect the third did not see me until the very last second because although it passed pretty close (not as close as the second car) the car was still steering away from the side of the road well past me. And just to be clear, I was wearing a (very) bright yellow high viz jacket.

So all in all, not a great experience, and not a good indication that the new regs. as well as the adverts on the TV, are making drivers more considerate towards cyclists!. I'll maybe need to look into getting some kind of camera!.

Indeed - similar to my experiences out and about. It's also why I try and steer clear of the more well-used roads and busier periods generally. Fortunately as a leisure cyclist, that isn't a problem, as it means I see more of the countryside.

The downside is that I have to be careful to avoid potholes, flooded areas (which can hide potholes but at first glance don't look deep), farm vehicles & animals / kamikaze wildlife and the occasional local driving like a bat out of you know where because they know the road well but think it'll be empty.

I often use my bell as a warning - useful on blind bends, crests / dips, entrances with little views out onto the road, etc. I find that vehicles (I can often hear them well before seeing them) mostly slow down as a result - surprisingly, given my bell isn't that loud!

Indeed - similar to my experiences out and about. It's also why I try and steer clear of the more well-used roads and busier periods generally. Fortunately as a leisure cyclist, that isn't a problem, as it means I see more of the countryside.

The downside is that I have to be careful to avoid potholes, flooded areas (which can hide potholes but at first glance don't look deep), farm vehicles & animals / kamikaze wildlife and the occasional local driving like a bat out of you know where because they know the road well but think it'll be empty.

Yeah, I've said before that I am lucky for how easily and quickly I can get out into the country. There are three of my usual routes which have me on busier roads, and two of them, including today's, are on longer ones. And again, the route I take to my parents (around 27 miles) only involves crossing a couple of busier roads, otherwise it is all on very quiet, unclassified country roads. But as you say, care needs to be taken for potholes, and yes, puddles can look innocent enough but can hide a humungous pothole!

I often use my bell as a warning - useful on blind bends, crests / dips, entrances with little views out onto the road, etc. I find that vehicles (I can often hear them well before seeing them) mostly slow down as a result - surprisingly, given my bell isn't that loud!

I recently bought a new bell because the one that came with the bike wasn't up to much, not that loud and you needed to flick it just so. The new one isn't really loud, but it has a much "crisper" (and nicer) sound, and the note last longer than you'd expect!. And when my Mother got her ebike, I got her a fancy hand painted bell which sounded like an old door bell, "ding dong", she loves it!.

Yeah, I've said before that I am lucky for how easily and quickly I can get out into the country. There are three of my usual routes which have me on busier roads, and two of them, including today's, are on longer ones. And again, the route I take to my parents (around 27 miles) only involves crossing a couple of busier roads, otherwise it is all on very quiet, unclassified country roads. But as you say, care needs to be taken for potholes, and yes, puddles can look innocent enough but can hide a humungous pothole!

Indeed - one of my neighbours had a nasty accident in their car for that reason - the side wing, bonnet and left front wheel were all damaged (the first two still to be repaired) and it needed a new tyre. I traverse them very slowly on my bicycle to avoid accidents, and because I don't want to get wet (no mudgaurds on my mountain bike)!

I recently bought a new bell because the one that came with the bike wasn't up to much, not that loud and you needed to flick it just so. The new one isn't really loud, but it has a much "crisper" (and nicer) sound, and the note last longer than you'd expect!. And when my Mother got her ebike, I got her a fancy hand painted bell which sounded like an old door bell, "ding dong", she loves it!.

((chuckle)) I like the horn of the local mobile sandwich retailer - the one from 'the Dukes of Hazzard' car...somehow I don't think it would be appreciated if I put something that produced that noise on my bike, especially in a rural area, including a good few people on horseback.