Suzuki Swift - Dealer liability for ongoing gearbox issues - Samuel Woolaston

Hi Guys,

Bought a car last August, 50k on the clock, apparently in ok working order. However, late November, the gearbox went. Naturally, I contacted the dealer asking for a repair, which he did over a period of about 4 months.

I got it back late March, and it has seemed okay until this week when my gearbox has gone again, it's as though 1st and 2nd don't exist.

I'm wondering in anybody knows if I have any legal recourse against the dealer?

I read that under the Consumer Rights Act, they should repair and issue found in 6 months, and that their repair should fix the problem. However, though the gearbox is still clearly a problem, 6 months has passed. It does also require proof now that the issue wasn't caused by me but a bad part.

During the 9 months I've owned this car, I've only had use of it for about half that time, and both times only a couple of months before the gearbox is acting up.

Basically, I just want rid of this car now. However, does anyone know if in a situation like this, I have any course of action against the dealership?

Thank you

Suzuki Swift - Dealer liability for ongoing gearbox issues - Palcouk

Do I read this correctly, Purchased August, developed a gearbox fault in November, some 3 months later, the repair took 4 months?

And the same problem occurred later, after the initial fix, then the dealer is still responsible and should fix it.

Suzuki Swift - Dealer liability for ongoing gearbox issues - Samuel Woolaston

Exactly that. It was as I presumed. Thank you

Suzuki Swift - Dealer liability for ongoing gearbox issues - SLO76
I have now stopped recommending these wee cars to people after the last low mileage example I sourced for someone suffered a catalogue of failures including gearbox failure. Seems Suzuki have thrown quality to the winds of greed. Shame, as they’re great fun to drive.
Suzuki Swift - Dealer liability for ongoing gearbox issues - paul 1963
I have now stopped recommending these wee cars to people after the last low mileage example I sourced for someone suffered a catalogue of failures including gearbox failure. Seems Suzuki have thrown quality to the winds of greed. Shame, as they’re great fun to drive.

Sorry SLO, I have to disagree, I've owned a couple of suzukis including the last generation swift, neither of which have ever given a moments grief, my current Vitara is very nicely screwed together.

I'm a member of a suzuki owners Facebook group and hardly ever read reports of failures.

Suzuki Swift - Dealer liability for ongoing gearbox issues - SLO76
Apparently gearboxes issues are quite common. I never knew myself until I had bother with the last one I sourced for someone. Wee bit of digging and turns out it’s a regular killer of elderly Swifts. I can’t comment on other models and the engines are certainly very robust but it seems there is a problem with the Swift from 05-11 relating to gearboxes. The rest of the trouble was largely wear and tear stuff to be fair to the wee car but the gearbox is a killer.
Suzuki Swift - Dealer liability for ongoing gearbox issues - movilogo

Swift from 05-11 relating to gearboxes

I bought a 06 Ignis in 2007. The gearbox synchromesh failed - would not shift into 2nd gear from 3rd/4th. It was fixed under warranty. IIRC, Ignis and Swift used same gearbox at that time.