SEAT Alhambra - Short Term Right to Reject help - Victoria Robinson

I purchased a used Seat Alhambra 28 days ago from a dealer. The car has issues that were not disclosed to me and they have advised that they will allow me to return the car subject to a deduction of £0.45 per mile along with a weekly rental charge (they have not specified the amount). They have intimated that they will not lose money for me returning the vehicle and so I can only assume they plan to load this weekly rental quite highly.

Citizens advice advised me that as I paid cash (bank transfer) for the car they do not believe that the dealer can charge me a weekly rental fee, but they will not specify where in the act that this is listed as that constitutes legal advice. I've tried searching through the consumer rights act and cannot find reference to the weekly rental charge, but am worried I am missing something.

Looking through forums and google it looks like they can charge a weekly rental fee if I had purchased the car via finance, but as I paid cash this should not apply.

Can anyone help?

Edited by Victoria Robinson on 07/06/2022 at 09:23

SEAT Alhambra - Short Term Right to Reject help - Palcouk

The only thing they can charge you, assuming the car has not been damaged is the £0.45 per mileage fee.

They are trying it on :(

Edited by Palcouk on 07/06/2022 at 14:54

SEAT Alhambra - Short Term Right to Reject help - Bromptonaut

My employer pays me 45p/mile but that includes fuel. I doubt the dealer here is providing the OP's fuel.

That's my understanding, but they insist it is in the Consumer Rights Act and that they will charge me this undisclosed fee.

I was hoping there might be a specific section that covers things like this, but I cannot find it.

SEAT Alhambra - Short Term Right to Reject help - Heidfirst

do you have legal cover with your car (or perhaps house) insurance? if so ...

SEAT Alhambra - Short Term Right to Reject help - Brit_in_Germany

24(8) is the subsection dealing with the deduction for use:

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/24/en...d

The short term right to reject is section 22 which does not have the deduction.

@Brit_in_Germany Thank you so much, being able to point out the exact sections is a real aid.

I believe they are getting confused, perhaps deliberately, between the short term right to reject and final right to reject.

Edited by Victoria Robinson on 08/06/2022 at 21:31