Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Gareth Lewisjones

I was driving on a 60 stretch of road the driver in front of me was doing 50 ish I was a safe distance behind the car. Then he slowed down to 30 for no reason I waited for a while the road was clear and I over took the car a seat Ibiza fr. As I over took him, he then accelerated sharply as looked tover my shoulder ( life saver) he was there so I could not move back into my lane. I floored my car to make some space so I could move back in safety but he cept on accelerating. I saw a gap behind him so I braked hard but so I could move back in, but he braked just after me matching my cars speed. I was still on the wrong side of the road for what seemed way to long. I was keeping an eye in the drive who was now laughing. I was becoming more scared by the second. I floored my car again to around to try and get passed him. But he was still there so I braked again but so did he but I was ready for it. I had to floor my car again and I eventually got passed but I was pushing 90 95 to make a space. He was an i****.

Hopefully I haven't got a ticket. I have no points on my license. I like to keep it that way. What can you do in that case. Luckly the road was clear both ways. Between Bala and Dolgellau

Edited by Gareth Lewisjones on 27/06/2022 at 08:37

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Adampr

If you do get a ticket, you'll also get a ban to go with it.

Easier said than done, but you need to be at the speed limit when you reach the car you're trying to overtake, not accelerating once you're alongside.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Middleman

Would you like to explain why you think that is?

But back to reality, unless there were any cameras nearby you will not see any action.

Would you like to explain why you think that is?

But back to reality, unless there were any cameras nearby you will not see any action.

91 mph plus in a 60 limit would be a Band C offence which could mean a 7-56 day ban.

I hope that clears it up for you - the information is publicly available.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Gareth Lewisjones

I was below the speed limit when trying to over take. He was doing below 30,

There was cops in a 5 series in a drive way with a camera on top. I think I'm deep poo. I'll lose my job and home.

Edited by Gareth Lewisjones on 27/06/2022 at 12:33

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Bromptonaut

I'm struggling with some of the practicalities here, not least an Ibiza out accelerating a CLK.

Whilst egregious exceedances of the speed limit can earn a ban it's usually a short one. Guidelines suggest 90+ in a 60 would put a driver in that territory but that would probably mean something more sustained than an 'escape' manoeuvre when an overtake goes wrong.

If a Copper in an equipped car had witnessed what you describe I'd be surprised if they didn't go to Blues/Twos and pull either or both of you over.

Penalties arriving via post are usually from fixed/mobile cameras tested and approved where the camera is stationery and stable.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Middleman

I'll lose my job and home.

Why? What do you imagine the penalty for this will be?

The Registered Keeper of the car must be served with a "Notice of Intended Prosecution" (a NIP) within 14 days of the alleged offence. Wait until then to se what, if anything, you have to worry about.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Brit_in_Germany

Waiting is a good move but in the meantime you might want to make a note of exactly what happened as far as you can remember it with details of speeds, positions of cars, etc, in case it goes to court and you have to plead your case. On the face of it, a court would have to consider your position that the exceeding the speed limit was the only safe option after the other car blocked you from returning to your lane - a bit like speeding to get a seriously ill person to the hospital in time.

My CLK is a 270 CDI 0 to 60 in 8.5 the seat Ibiza 1.4 fr is 0 to 60 in 7 seconds that's why it took so long to over take. Almost evenly matched. If I had a Porsche I could of moved back in far sooner. I don't think he would of even tried.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and sorry if I'm wrong, and say that none of this makes sense.

It sounds like you and a mate were messing around, you passed a police car at the side of the road and now you want to know how much trouble you're in.

The answer is probably none, because it sounds like an ANPR camera, not a speed camera.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - daveyjp

We weren't there, we don't know what actually happened and until you get any sort of paperwork there is nothing you can do.

If it was a case of there being someone in an FR winding others up the sensible thing to do is be the bigger person and not become part of the 'game' as you will be in the dock if it goes wrong.

When you realise they are being foolish abandon the overtake (the car has a brake and an accelerator so no need to 'floor' it. A car will slow quicker when the brake is 'floored' than it will accelerate) and simply pull over, take a side turn at the earliest opportunity and have 5 minutes break.

I've had it once in Scotland where I was being tailgated, despite me doing the 60 limit where safe to do so, even giving the chance for the following driver to overtake, but they didn't.

We entered a village, speed dropped to 30 and the tailgater decided to overtake. We left the village, back to 60 and he decided to drive at 40-45. I pulled into a layby for a brew and never saw him again.

Edited by daveyjp on 28/06/2022 at 11:13

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Gibbo_Wirral

This is why everyone should have a dashcam. Report his driving and upload the footage.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - FP

"This is why everyone should have a dashcam. Report his driving and upload the footage."

Unfortunately any dashcam footage will also reveal a great deal about the driver's behaviour. I have a dashcam, but am constantly aware that is it monitoring my driving as well as what is happening around me.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Crickleymal

"This is why everyone should have a dashcam. Report his driving and upload the footage."

Unfortunately any dashcam footage will also reveal a great deal about the driver's behaviour. I have a dashcam, but am constantly aware that is it monitoring my driving as well as what is happening around me.

Yes. I watch quite a lot of dashcam compilations on YouTube and one thing that gets commented on a lot is how stupid the cammers are for sending in footage showing their terrible driving.

Edited by Crickleymal on 28/06/2022 at 16:40

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - sammy1

This sounds simply like road rage and both parties do no come out of it well. Both are guilty of racing on a public road and the both should have had more sense, I would be ashamed to admit to it. Dashcams and helmet cams on bikes do not always tell the full story, There was a very recent court case of a driver presumably overtaking a cyclist too closely. All I could see was the shadow of the cyclist. The driver had a heavy fine no accident was caused. I am all for the law of passing a cyclist with due caution but the one and a half metre rule is not measurable on a dash cam. or anything else. I hope the driver appeals so the rule can be clarified.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Speeding when over taking for safety. - Andrew-T

... simply pull over, take a side turn at the earliest opportunity and have 5 minutes break.

I do this when I find myself behind a few cars trundling along several mph below the posted limit. After a minute or two I can continue at my preferred speed and enjoy the drive a bit more (until I catch them up again) :-)