New national speed limit - Wales - gramar

Take a look at this

uk.yahoo.com/news/wales-set-lower-speed-limit-0937...l

New national speed limit - Wales - FP

To be clear, 20 mph would be the default speed limit on all restricted roads, unless signed otherwise.

And it's just a proposal at the moment, with most respondents to the consultation opposing it - not that this will be the deciding factor.

New national speed limit - Wales - Andrew-T

To be clear, 20 mph would be the default speed limit on all restricted roads, unless signed otherwise. And it's just a proposal at the moment, with most respondents to the consultation opposing it - not that this will be the deciding factor.

Reading further, Plaid and the Labour Party are both in favour, and as they form a majority 'coalition' the proposal will be passed, in all probability. Of course plenty of roads within existing 30 areas self-limit to about 20 anyway, but no doubt if/when this implementation comes about next year, there will be a rash of fineable offences for some time afterwards.

New national speed limit - Wales - bathtub tom

Where are the enforcement officers coming from?

New national speed limit - Wales - daveyjp

We are quite good as a driving group at self enforcement and there is a psychological impact once a 20 limit is introduced.

In a 30 limit only 10% will drive at 24 mph, many more will drive at 10-20% over the limit.

In a 20 limit 50% will drive at 24mph, whilst they are technically breaking the limit by 20%, the average road speed is reduced. This leads to fewer accidents and any accidents are less severe.

New national speed limit - Wales - galileo

Where are the enforcement officers coming from?

Truvelo, Gatso or other cash raising gadgets.

As more than half the inhabitants of Wales don't like the idea they need to change who they vote for next time? No guarantee that would make any difference but worth a try?

New national speed limit - Wales - Engineer Andy

To be clear, 20 mph would be the default speed limit on all restricted roads, unless signed otherwise. And it's just a proposal at the moment, with most respondents to the consultation opposing it - not that this will be the deciding factor.

I doubt if they'll take heed of any 'consultation' unless it goes their way - i.e. in favour, given there aren't any important elections on the horizon.

Reading further, Plaid and the Labour Party are both in favour, and as they form a majority 'coalition' the proposal will be passed, in all probability. Of course plenty of roads within existing 30 areas self-limit to about 20 anyway, but no doubt if/when this implementation comes about next year, there will be a rash of fineable offences for some time afterwards.

Lower speed limits --> More speed cameras = more power + revenue from fines.

Also its IMHO designed (as with ULEZs, road charging and other punative measures) to make driving such a bad and expensive experience that the great unwashed go back to the wasy things used to be 100 years ago, making the roads nice and clear for the rich to waft about in their EVs (that they alone can afford to buy and run) free of us plebs delaying their journeys to the spa, boutique or country retreat.

20mph type roads/zones are, in my view worthwhile if they are in areas heavily frequented by children and the elderly to reduce accidents at certain times of the day/week.he problem mainly is that the powers-that-be go way overboard in what is designated as such and when they operate.

Similarly with them reducing 60mph limits on decent major trunk roads to 50/40 around certain turnoffs (e.g. to schools) when the problems mainly arise in the rush hours only on week days.

Sadly all too often councils don't take a nuanced approach - including bothering to listen to the views of most locals rather than noisy campaigners (who often don't repreent local views [even not even living in the area]) or who pander to national-level views/issues that often don't account for local variances.

I suspect it will be more virtue-signalling that does more harm than good overall, but I'd put good money on the negative effects being glossed over/ignored.

New national speed limit - Wales - Smileyman

Saw a comment somewhere that Scotland will do likewise in a few years time.

For me the main problem is the increased journey times. Someone being 'holy' who drives at 29 mph today will switch to 19 mph and unless there are places to overtake everyone will suffer a reduction in speed of 1/3rd. Can't see bunched up traffic full of irritated motorists making driving safer. Of course for certain roads eg residential side streets with lots of parked cars 20 mph is sensible, but there is no need to change the default to achieve.

The likes of me will not be encouraged to visit if I have travel at snail's pace everywhere and worry about an unwelcome letter in the post from Welsh Police. Also, it's not going to make my car be more fuel efficient either!

Edited by Smileyman on 12/07/2022 at 20:40

New national speed limit - Wales - Bromptonaut

For me the main problem is the increased journey times. Someone being 'holy' who drives at 29 mph today will switch to 19 mph and unless there are places to overtake everyone will suffer a reduction in speed of 1/3rd. Can't see bunched up traffic full of irritated motorists making driving safer. Of course for certain roads eg residential side streets with lots of parked cars 20 mph is sensible, but there is no need to change the default to achieve.

People in a 30 limit don't average anything like 29/30mph. If the example of 50 limits in motorway road works are any sort of example then a lower limit might actually smooth things.

Some parts of London have gone for 20 as the new 30. I don't believe for a minute that the journey time for the mile from Aldwych to Euston has reduced from 2 minutes to 2:30.

Or anything like it.

New national speed limit - Wales - bazza

Living in Wales and thinking about it, I don't think it will make much difference to journey times. My regular trip from South to North Wales is dominated by 50mph and 40 mph limits plus national, the amount of time spent in 30 zones is comparatively small. Even round here in semi urban areas, many 20mph zones already exist, and I haven't noticed a particular problem with journey times. It's rare to be in able to drive at 30 in a 30 zone for more than a few hundred metres, due to hazards, traffic, lights etc. So overall, if the data backs up the safety claims it's a non issue. But I bet England will adopt it if it proves successful, just as the smoking ban did a few years ago

Ironically it is often the very rural road where more relaistic, lower speed limits are needed. So many roads that are little more than one-lane farm tracks and (barely) one-up, one-down country lanes are national speed limit (60) roads and only reduced to 40 or 30 when passing hamlets or larger.

When I'm on my bicycle in my part of Herts or driving/walking on holiday in Cornwall, I'm amazed at how many people think it's perfectly safe to do anywhere near a 60mph speed limit on such roads.

This year I used my newest phone's Google Maps app on the trip to Cornwall, and I foolishly decided to accept an unusual 'short cut' to the last part of my journey off the A30 towards my destination. The app said it was '60 mph road' (as did the national speed limit sign), but in reality most was single-track lanes with tight passing places, hilly and well used by famers/locals, which meant there was no way I was going to be doing 60 safely.

Most of the time I was down near 20-30 and bibbing my horn when approaching the many blind bends. It would've been quicker and far safer to have gone the (usual) long way around, plus I wouldn't have got my car scratched even further.

I don't see any councils bothering to evaluate speed limits on such roads any time soon, especially so that sat navs don't try and take you down them thinking you can go down them at quite a clip safely.

I don't see any councils bothering to evaluate speed limits on such roads any time soon, especially so that sat navs don't try and take you down them thinking you can go down them at quite a clip safely.

Perhaps that is part of the problem - limit signs don't mean that the posted speed can be maintained within the zone, only that you can be given a ticket for exceeding that speed.

New national speed limit - Wales - alan1302

This year I used my newest phone's Google Maps app on the trip to Cornwall, and I foolishly decided to accept an unusual 'short cut' to the last part of my journey off the A30 towards my destination. The app said it was '60 mph road' (as did the national speed limit sign), but in reality most was single-track lanes with tight passing places, hilly and well used by famers/locals, which meant there was no way I was going to be doing 60 safely.

Most of the time I was down near 20-30 and bibbing my horn when approaching the many blind bends. It would've been quicker and far safer to have gone the (usual) long way around, plus I wouldn't have got my car scratched even further.

Google Maps won't expect you to be doing the speed limit all the time on the road - it allows for an average speed on a specified road. The only problem I have is the sat nav taking me down small tight lanes when I'm driving a large works van...unfortunately there are no options to help with that within Google Maps.

Google Maps won't expect you to be doing the speed limit all the time on the road - it allows for an average speed on a specified road. The only problem I have is the sat nav taking me down small tight lanes when I'm driving a large works van...unfortunately there are no options to help with that within Google Maps.

Are there not 'truck' Sat Nav's that allow entry of vehicle height etc?

Are there not 'truck' Sat Nav's that allow entry of vehicle height etc?

Yes, you can get those now, but don't do enough driving to places i don't know to justify it - I just stick to main routes when going to places I've not delivered to before.

I think it (and my situation on holiday) shows the (still) significant downside to using Google Maps. Note that my now technically defunct* old smartphone app Here Maps never once tried taking me down some ridiculously narrow, windy lane on the same journey over a good few years or anywhere else.

Admitedly without the live traffic part it will keep pushing me to go back down roads I know are (say) closed for roadworks as it did earlier this year.

* Windows phone no longer supported, no live traffic facility though the maps themselves still seem to get updated.

The problem with councils etc not putting realistic limits on country lanes and some sat nav apps like Google Maps not realising (or telling the user) about narrow, even dangerous 'national speed limit' roads combined with draconian speed reductions to pander to (small in number but loud/powerful) lobby groups means that driving won't really be safer or more efficient, because many will ignore daft (low) limits or bad navigation routing decisions.

New national speed limit - Wales - De Sisti

The proposed new speed limit is only for residential areas where there is already a 30 mph limit. The proposed new limit is NOT FOR ALL ROADS in Wales.

<< The proposed new limit is NOT FOR ALL ROADS in Wales. >>

Did anyone suggest that, or are you just making sure ?

New national speed limit - Wales - badbusdriver

The thread title suggests it!

The thread title suggests it!

I'm just trying to think of a succinct alternative conveying the full message ....

New national speed limit - Wales - Mike Lyons

Unless there are places to overtake everyone will suffer a reduction in speed of 1/3rd.

Also, it's not going to make my car be more fuel efficient either!

1. The reduction in speed won't be as much as a third as no-one drives at 30mph ALL the time.

2. True - but the people who draft these changes assume or hope we'll all be driving EV's /Cycling in a few years.

New national speed limit - Wales - Metropolis.
Great, yet another attack on the motorist, can we not be trusted to drive at 30mph?
New national speed limit - Wales - _

In Wales, won't affect me, as I have no intention of ever going near the place. (and my dad was welsh and I was born and brought up there. Scotland is also a no drive destination.

Great, yet another attack on the motorist, can we not be trusted to drive at 30mph?

Clearly not, or those limits would be unnecessary, or no-one would ever be ticketed.

Slight misunderstanding of my comment there, I didn’t mean we can’t be trusted to stick to 30mph, rather that we can be trusted to drive at 30mph safely.

The “we know better” brigade is alive and well in Wales I see.

In theory it's a good idea - but it depends on how it's done. If say all the main roads through a town/village stay as they are and it's only the roads off into housing estates etc then I don't see much issue with it.

However, going by the caller on Radio 2 today who said they had a bypass in their village which trailed a 20mph limit which is ridiculous then I'm not sure it will work.

Slight misunderstanding of my comment there, I didn’t mean we can’t be trusted to stick to 30mph, rather that we can be trusted to drive at 30mph safely. The “we know better” brigade is alive and well in Wales I see.

There is a large amount of drivers that can't drive safely - I see it every day...lack of indicating/speeding/dangerous overtakes/tailgating/mobile phone use.

New national speed limit - Wales - Crickleymal
Slight misunderstanding of my comment there, I didn’t mean we can’t be trusted to stick to 30mph, rather that we can be trusted to drive at 30mph safely. The “we know better” brigade is alive and well in Wales I see.

There is a large amount of drivers that can't drive safely - I see it every day...lack of indicating/speeding/dangerous overtakes/tailgating/mobile phone use.

Yup. Drove about 5 urban miles today. Several people speeding. 5 cars deliberately crossing red lights and a few not giving way when there's an obstruction in their side of the road.

Yup. Drove about 5 urban miles today. Several people speeding. 5 cars deliberately crossing red lights and a few not giving way when there's an obstruction in their side of the road.

Entirely normal here in Colchester..

New national speed limit - Wales - Smileyman

Granted roads with 40/50/60/70 mph limits will not be affected, however I think there needs to be more explanation on how the current 30 mph roads will be impacted (presumably with time this will come). If they all default to 20 mph then my criticism will be justified, however if most retain their 30 mph status then the unwelcome impact on motorists and journey times will be mitigated and a good thing too. Either way, there is going to be cost with replacement road signs / markings etc, in the current climate is that really a necessary spend of taxpayer monies or just a political vanity project?

New national speed limit - Wales - bazza

There certainly is a fair amount of political vanity here with the Welsh government. Pushed through plenty of moral high ground stuff similar to this eg anti smacking, minimum alcohol pricing, anti smoking, COVID regs etc but woeful record on the big issues such as M4 relief road, integrated transport, NHS management, all hopeless! I say this a Labour supporter too!

Pushed through plenty of moral high ground stuff similar to this eg anti smacking, minimum alcohol pricing, anti smoking, COVID regs etc ...

Although most of us dislike the concept of the nanny state, most of the issues you mention are attempts to persuade more people to recognise common sense by applying some force. Surely you don't dispute the idea behind it? Ah - of course it should all be voluntary, and ignored when inconvenient.

Pushed through plenty of moral high ground stuff similar to this eg anti smacking, minimum alcohol pricing, anti smoking, COVID regs etc ...

Although most of us dislike the concept of the nanny state, most of the issues you mention are attempts to persuade more people to recognise common sense by applying some force. Surely you don't dispute the idea behind it? Ah - of course it should all be voluntary, and ignored when inconvenient.

Quite correct that some of these things are, at first sight, praiseworthy. The key point is that these behaviours should be encouraged but voluntary.

Putting them into law is the thin edge of the wedge that leads to even further erosion of our freedoms than we have already suffered.

<< Putting them into law is the thin edge of the wedge that leads to even further erosion of our freedoms than we have already suffered. >>

That amounts to saying that eroding one's freedom is OK, but only when self-inflicted. Which seems to be little more than saying you don't like being told what to do, even if you actually agree with it ?

<< Putting them into law is the thin edge of the wedge that leads to even further erosion of our freedoms than we have already suffered. >>

That amounts to saying that eroding one's freedom is OK, but only when self-inflicted. Which seems to be little more than saying you don't like being told what to do, even if you actually agree with it ?

Exactly. I used to drink and smoke, gave up of my own accord, I object to all the nanny-state edicts from people who think they know what is best for me.

There used to be a (partly) humorous comparison of countries which ran as follows:

In England, everything is allowed unless it is specifically forbidden

In Germany, everything is forbidden unless it is specifically allowed

In France, everything is allowed, even if it is forbidden.

There used to be quite a degree of truth is this, now less so where England is concerned

Exactly. I used to drink and smoke, gave up of my own accord, I object to all the nanny-state edicts from people who think they know what is best for me.

Do you not find that they generally do? And if there were no people saying you should stop something would you have continued to smoke and drink?

Do you not find that they generally do? And if there were no people saying you should stop something would you have continued to smoke and drink?

Given long experience of politicians and so-called experts making wrong decisions, changing their mind as a result of unforeseen consequences and their susceptibility to influence from vested interests and vociferous minority pressure groups, no, I am not convinced that they generally do know what is best for me.

If my actions do no harm to anyone else why should I be ordered about by distant bureaucrats, over whom I have no effective control? And don't talk about 'voting' because whoever you vote for (at national or local level) there is little change, because the same 'experts' and advisers stay in place.

<< Given long experience of politicians and so-called experts making wrong decisions, changing their mind as a result of unforeseen consequences .... If my actions do no harm to anyone else why should I be ordered about by distant bureaucrats >>

Presumably the actions you speak of never have any unforeseen consequences ?

<< Given long experience of politicians and so-called experts making wrong decisions, changing their mind as a result of unforeseen consequences .... If my actions do no harm to anyone else why should I be ordered about by distant bureaucrats >>

Presumably the actions you speak of never have any unforeseen consequences ?

My actions are unlikely to affect the lives of thousands or millions of other people, which is the difference between my actions and Government or local authority actions,.

I would have thought this is obvious, is it not?

<< My actions are unlikely to affect the lives of thousands or millions of other people, which is the difference between my actions and Government or local authority actions >>

So basically you are an anarchist, because you don't believe there should be any authority which might make decisions adversely affecting thousands of people ?

<< My actions are unlikely to affect the lives of thousands or millions of other people, which is the difference between my actions and Government or local authority actions >>

So basically you are an anarchist, because you don't believe there should be any authority which might make decisions adversely affecting thousands of people ?

I never said any such thing (though authorities have made bad decisions and still do. A classic example in today's Telegraph of how 13 civil service mandarins made our new 'aircraft carriers' ineffective by preventing the fitting of catapults, purely to keep the Typhoon in production instead of the sensible options. Read it and weep for the underhand tactics used, the waste of taxpayers cash and weakening of our defences)

.I merely stated that I do not like my personal preferences in minor aspects to be dictated by often unelected bureaucrats, such as the examples in the article referred to.

Individual freedom used to be a reason why people wanted to live in Britain, if you don't like the idea of choice just say so, you would be happy in Orwell's 1984, wouldn't you?

<< Individual freedom used to be a reason why people wanted to live in Britain, if you don't like the idea of choice just say so, you would be happy in Orwell's 1984, wouldn't you? >>

Although you are happy that your actions have no significant effect on others, the fact remains that we all depend on the society we are part of. So laws have accumulated - some of them no doubt irksome - to try to balance individuals' different freedoms. You clearly consider that such laws should not be necessary as everyone should conform voluntarily without coercion. Nice idea !

<< Individual freedom used to be a reason why people wanted to live in Britain, if you don't like the idea of choice just say so, you would be happy in Orwell's 1984, wouldn't you? >>

Although you are happy that your actions have no significant effect on others, the fact remains that we all depend on the society we are part of. So laws have accumulated - some of them no doubt irksome - to try to balance individuals' different freedoms. You clearly consider that such laws should not be necessary as everyone should conform voluntarily without coercion. Nice idea !

For information, I have never been convicted of any criminal offence and have had a clean driving licence for 62 years up to now in at least 500,000 miles here and overseas.

So not an anarchist, am I?

Edited by galileo on 18/07/2022 at 12:35

<< I used to drink and smoke, gave up of my own accord, I object to all the nanny-state edicts from people who think they know what is best for me. >>

That's a fine argument, but it is too self-centred. Part of its purpose is to protect others from the side-effects of your (discontinued) smoking or drinking - drink-driving or passive smoking for example. And the govt is sacrificing tax by telling you to stop !

There used to be a (partly) humorous comparison of countries which ran as follows:

In England, everything is allowed unless it is specifically forbidden

In Germany, everything is forbidden unless it is specifically allowed

In France, everything is allowed, even if it is forbidden.

There used to be quite a degree of truth is this, now less so where England is concerned

Indeed - the more we legislate on such things rather than inform via open debate using a complete set of facts, the more we take away people's ability to think critically and independently to assess situations.

No wonder so many young people have recently (and increasingly) been (so easily and quickly) fooled into blindly following authoritarian measures and that leave them subserviant / dependent on the state and megacorps, and who never question any new dictat but do go after (on such organisations' behalf) people who do.

I don't particularly want to be a proverbial Borg drone thank you. That doesn't mean I want to be an anachist either.

Britain used to be envied by many around the world for standing up to tyrrany and authoritariansim even when on the surface it was to our significant disadvantage or that we'd have little impact, not realising that setting an example via dissent and critical thinking always seemed to win the day, even if was a difficult path to take.

"No wonder so many young people have recently (and increasingly) been (so easily and quickly) fooled into blindly following authoritarian measures and that leave them subserviant / dependent on the state and megacorps, and who never question any new dictat but do go after (on such organisations' behalf) people who do."

1. What evidence is there that a significant number of young people are "blindly following authoritarian measures"?

2. What precisely are the "authoritarian measures" they are allegedly following?

"No wonder so many young people have recently (and increasingly) been (so easily and quickly) fooled into blindly following authoritarian measures and that leave them subserviant / dependent on the state and megacorps, and who never question any new dictat but do go after (on such organisations' behalf) people who do."

1. What evidence is there that a significant number of young people are "blindly following authoritarian measures"?

2. What precisely are the "authoritarian measures" they are allegedly following?

Perhaps you need to look more closely at what's been happening over the past few years, especially during the pandemic.

"Perhaps you need to look more closely at what's been happening over the past few years, especially during the pandemic."

I don't need to do anything, Andy. I'm certainly not going to provide guesses as to what you meant. I was hoping you would be able to clarify what you had expressed only vaguely.

Perhaps you don't want a discussion about it. But then, why raise it in the first place?

"Perhaps you need to look more closely at what's been happening over the past few years, especially during the pandemic."

I don't need to do anything, Andy. I'm certainly not going to provide guesses as to what you meant. I was hoping you would be able to clarify what you had expressed only vaguely.

Perhaps you don't want a discussion about it. But then, why raise it in the first place?

Because the issue is pertinent to the original topic, but I only mentioned it in non-specific terms so as not to take the discussion too far off the original topic.

That you seemingly want to go that way suggests you a) know full well what I meant and b) want to take it away from the original topic to perhaps try and engender the thread to be shut down by deliberately inflaming the discussion.

Thesedays I have zero interest in going down the petty bickering route, as I realised it does no-one or a discussion any good. It also drives people away from the forum.

"That you seemingly want to go that way suggests you a) know full well what I meant and b) want to take it away from the original topic to perhaps try and engender the thread to be shut down by deliberately inflaming the discussion.

Thesedays I have zero interest in going down the petty bickering route, as I realised it does no-one or a discussion any good. It also drives people away from the forum."

I'm disappointed by these comments. You seem to be suggesting I was deliberately obtuse in failing to jump to conclusions about what you meant and that I wanted to derail the discussion in some way by inflaming it.

I suggest this itself is an unpleasant insinuation - that I'm not interested in commenting on ideas, but have some other agenda.

I will leave it to others to ponder your comment about petty bickering.

Plenty of young people thought being ruled by people we don’t elect was a good idea if it meant they let us travel without a visa.
Plenty of young people thought being ruled by people we don’t elect was a good idea if it meant they let us travel without a visa.

Oh here we go again.

We elected MEPs and the laws of the EU were ratified by an elected parliament and our own parliament.

Oh here we go again.

We elected MEPs and the laws of the EU were ratified by an elected parliament and our own parliament.

The Nazi party won a majority of seats in1933 and Hitler was made Chancellor according to the constitution at the time.

We had only a minor number of MEPs so the EU parliament and laws it passed were chiefly made by other countries.

I wish I could share your faith that elections put the right people into power.

There seems to be a lot of thread drift, so off to general discussion.

MOD

<< We had only a minor number of MEPs so the EU parliament and laws it passed were chiefly made by other countries. I wish I could share your faith that elections put the right people into power. >>

In any election it will be possible to grumble about being in some minority, therefore the result is somehow wrong. The main objection to MEP elections was the poor turnout, presumably because many electors weren't bothered about the result. Still a minority, but self-inflicted.

The Nazi party won a majority of seats in1933 and Hitler was made Chancellor according to the constitution at the time.

We had only a minor number of MEPs so the EU parliament and laws it passed were chiefly made by other countries.

I wish I could share your faith that elections put the right people into power.

Godwin's law strikes again.

What the hell has Hitler got to do with the discussion?

You join a club, you accept its rules. Besides the EU laws as I said were ratified by the EU parliament and passed into law in this country by our parliament. That's democracy in action. If you want to argue about minority governments then virtually all the ruling parties in our government have been elected by a minority of the voters.

<< You join a club, you accept its rules. >>

Yes, and while you are a member you can try to modify the rules by persuasion. That's what made Brexit look like little more than a fit of pique.

<< You join a club, you accept its rules. >>

Yes, and while you are a member you can try to modify the rules by persuasion. That's what made Brexit look like little more than a fit of pique.

Exactly