Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - Wozzer100uk

Hi all,

Just need some advise please. So last week we sold our late father's car as it wasn't being used. 4 lads came to view, test drove and wanted to buy it. It was late at night and they said they had get get back so didn't give any details for the v5 apart from name which I have from Facebook. Gave them new owners slip and they went on their way. Next day we called DVLA to say we didn't get the details so they said to write to them with the v5 and they will take my wife off the owner. A week later and we get a letter from and removal company because the car has been abandoned and they want £300 for us to get it back.

Question is, if we say we sold it and don't want the car back are we still responsible for fees etc. We have the cash from the sale and don't want the car back. Can't think why they would abandon it, we have tried to contact them for details but they never get back to us.

Never sold a car before , but to be honest they could of give false details anyway for the v5 but now know we should have got some more detail rather than just a name.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - Bromptonaut

How old was the car and how much was it sold for?

Is it possible to explain where it was left and why the landowner believes it was abandoned?

Is it possible it was used to facilitate a crime and then abandoned?

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - _

Who actually has the car now?

Is it worth more than £300, if with an MOT. then pay it and sell it again...?

Edited by _ORB_ on 16/07/2022 at 15:57

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - Palcouk

The car was registered to your father who had sadly passed away?

www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-bereavement/selling-the...e

But its still your responsibility to have the details of the buyer in order to inform DVLA, not providing the details can mean that you are still liable for any offences or penalties, if the buyer breaks the law

Edited by Palcouk on 16/07/2022 at 16:34

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - Middleman

...not providing the details can mean that you are still liable for any offences or penalties, if the buyer breaks the law

That’s not entirely correct.

For matters that rely on the identification of the driver (such as speeding, careless driving, etc.) the police contact the Registered Keeper (RK) to obtain the driver’s details. They do this using powers they have courtesy of section 172 of the Road Traffic Act. That legislation says that “the person keeping the vehicle” (who may or may not be the RK) has a duty to provide the driver’s details. “Any other person” has the duty to provide “any information which it is in his power to give and may lead to identification of the driver.”

The OP in this case is clearly and obviously not the “person keeping the vehicle.” He therefore has the much lower burden of providing any information that may lead to the identification of the driver which he can (which, from the sound of it, is not very much). If the police prosecute him under s172 on the basis they believe he is the person keeping the vehicle, it will fall to them to prove it. And they may struggle.

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - bathtub tom

I keep getting mail from TFL in the house I've just bought for the previous owner, now deceased, some in red! I write on it: deceased, return to sender. I believe it's an offence to open mail addressed to someone else. What else can I do?

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - Andrew-T

What else can I do?

Perhaps not very much. Your response may sound to TfL like an obvious one from anyone wishing to avoid paying a fine. Assuming TfL notes your responses, a copy of a death cert might work, but I doubt that you have one of those :-)

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - daveyjp

Its only a potential offence to interfere with mail if you don't have reasonable excuse.

Dealing with debt chasing for a person who no longer lives at an address is more than a reasonable excuse.

Despite returning mail and advising companies I still have been at the point of having Court bailiffs on the doorstep, all down to a fat fingered data entry person who missed an important digit off an address so they came to me and not the right person.

Hi all, sorry I didn't say. The car was transferred into my wife's name so she is the registered owner as we used the car for our mother. But as it wasn't get used much decided to sell it. Wife spoken to the recovery people today and they were very pushy with her for the costs but said they would speak to the police about it. We sold it for £1000 and don't won't it back, so will let them keep it to recover their costs.

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - thunderbird

We sold it for £1000 and don't won't it back, so will let them keep it to recover their costs.

Pay the £300 and sell it again.

That would be more trouble than it's worth I think. We have already written to the DVLA to get wife taken off the registration. Plus who knows what they did with it before they abandoned it.

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - Adampr

I'd suggest they do speak to the police about it as it's obviously been used for quite a high value crime.

Subaru Forester - Sold Car without getting new owner details - Gibbo_Wirral

That would be more trouble than it's worth I think. We have already written to the DVLA to get wife taken off the registration. Plus who knows what they did with it before they abandoned it.

Trouble is the DVLA will need to put someone down as the current keeper.