VED - car returned to dealer - RobHM75

My brother bought his car from a local dealer but four months later due to a change in his personal circumstances, I asked if they would take return of his car. They were really good and agreed to resell it and issued a refund equal to sum they sold it for, minus a small commission. What they didn't seem to do is inform DVLA of change of ownership and for EIGHT MONTHS DVLA continued to take VED direct debits from his current account (c.£215) and these only stopped when his account was emptied. He had no control over his own affairs during this eight month period and it is only now that these continued VED payments have come to our attention. The V5 was handed over to the dealer when they came to collect the car and I handed over the keys to them. I've contacted DVLA on his behalf but been told that he was still considered to have been the keeper of the car up until we informed them that he wasn't last week! I've tried to contact the dealer but keep being told they will call me back. DVLA sent me a questionnaire about the dates of my brother's actual ownership of the car and also provided them with the details of the dealer, who has a website, a Facebook page and an established forecourt, so no fly-by-night outfit by any means. I've seen other discussions around VED and return of cars to dealers here and on other fora, but nothing which quite compares to the situation in which my family has found itself. Any advice/guidance/criticism of our stupidity all gratefully received.

VED - car returned to dealer - Andrew-T

I've never 'sold' a car back to a dealer except as a trade-in. But when selling a car it is usual to inform DVLA of the transaction, if only to prevent this happening, and to 'complete the circle' as it were. And presumably the account owner has to cancel D/D payments, that won't happen automatically ?

VED - car returned to dealer - Brit_in_Germany

The dealer was selling the car as your brother's agent, so it remains his car until sold. He is responsible for tax and insurance, I would say, unless something else has been agreed.

VED - car returned to dealer - RobHM75

I got the money back (c.£215) after sending an email to the CEO of DVLA and asking my MP to do likewise, which she did. This was after a letter from DVLA saying that there was nothing owing and a 15 minute conversation with the Vehicles' Dept in which they dismissed all of my arguments. Goes to show that these Govt Agencies will dismiss and ignore you until they realise a) you can string a sentence together; and b) know your way around even the most basic routes of redress. What about everyone else who falls at the first bureaucratic hurdle?

Edited by RobHM75 on 03/08/2022 at 00:20