Smart ForFour Softouch 1.3 2005 - Buying a Used Car 120miles Away - Fault Repair - Stuart Waue

Hello

I'm considering buying a car from a dealer 120miles away & have some concerns.

If a fault appears within the consumer rights 2015 timescale, who would be responsible for the cost of transporting the car back to the supplying dealer?

I have to confess, I am very apprehensive about dealing with the business as from communication so far they seem like the type for whom "after sales" is a swear word, but that seems to be quite common at the cheaper end of the market. I admit, I probably am an awkward buyer for someone spending less than most, but I have bought cars from dealers for less & been ecstatic, & spent more only to be disappointed.

Problem is, there aren't many of these cars around (particularly not automatic which is a necessity for us), so I keep wondering if it's a worthwhile risk as the car may be a gem - just not a great business selling it.

Here's the email chain with my queries, & the response:

"Hello

I'm interested in buying this car, but I live in Andover & am considering using your delivery offer.

I'm within 100miles radius, but because it isn't a straight road I'm 120miles driven distance. Can you please advise what the delivery cost would be?

As I'd be essentially buying unseen, would you be happy to send me some additional photos highlighting any damage to the bodywork & interior, & advise on the condition of the roof panels as other examples I've seen have had strange crazing or delamination?

Also, due to the distance involved, were any mechanical faults to develop within the first 3 months of ownership, how would you look to address them? Would you want the car returned to yourselves for your preferred workshop to fix, or would you look to engage a business nearer to my location?

Regards

Stuart"

"Hi

Thanks for your email the delivery will be extra £165 and the car comes with one month engine and gearbox warranty and if in case of any repairs the car need to come back to us in Birmingham for repairs

Many thanks

Used Cars"

Smart ForFour Softouch 1.3 2005 - Buying a Used Car 120miles Away - Fault Repair - bathtub tom

Walk!

Smart ForFour Softouch 1.3 2005 - Buying a Used Car 120miles Away - Fault Repair - elekie&a/c doctor
There are plenty of good autos out there . This is not one of them . The for four models were not popular for a good reason. They are awful. It’s not a proper auto box , it’s one of those robotic manual systems.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 14/08/2022 at 20:06

Smart ForFour Softouch 1.3 2005 - Buying a Used Car 120miles Away - Fault Repair - alan1302

I have to confess, I am very apprehensive about dealing with the business as from communication so far they seem like the type for whom "after sales" is a swear word

You know what to do then - if you are not happy then you walk away.

Smart ForFour Softouch 1.3 2005 - Buying a Used Car 120miles Away - Fault Repair - Andrew-T

I have to confess, I am very apprehensive about dealing with the business as from communication so far they seem like the type for whom "after sales" is a swear word.

You know what to do then - if you are not happy then you walk away.

There is no point in buying a car that far from home unless it is very special, either in itself or to you personally. You may be lucky, but if you're not, the problems could be very real, very time-consuming and troublesome.

Edit - I hadn't factored in the age - at that age avoid dealers. They will always hope for a profit margin of £1K or more, while a private seller only wants to sell, and will (should) be able to tell you a lot more about the car. Keep looking.

Edited by Andrew-T on 15/08/2022 at 09:53

Smart ForFour Softouch 1.3 2005 - Buying a Used Car 120miles Away - Fault Repair - SLO76
Not a good gearbox in these, look at something else. Remember also that with a cheap older car like this the warranty will be next to worthless. You simply cannot guarantee a 17yr old car and dealers who sell such metal are well versed in dodging any legal obligations. The best buys at this end of the market are to be found in private sales, but your need for an auto does seriously limit your options.
Smart ForFour Softouch 1.3 2005 - Buying a Used Car 120miles Away - Fault Repair - Crickleymal

I always look for an excuse not to buy. If you have the slightest concern walk away. As others have said there are loads of used cars out there.

Smart ForFour Softouch 1.3 2005 - Buying a Used Car 120miles Away - Fault Repair - _

My niece had one and the gear box blew.. a write off because of cost of repairs

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/08/2022 at 14:58