Hyundai i10 - Traffic roundabout with Apron - Will Hopkins

We have had 3 new Roundabouts built in our area. They all have and "aprons" around them about 3m wide with a solid white line at the edge.

Because of the size of the road large vehicles have to drive over the apron and have seen an attempted overtake on the roundabout.

Cars are now ignoring the road and driving over the apron.

What is the law regarding driving over the aprons - are they legally part of the Carriageway?

Hyundai i10 - Traffic roundabout with Apron - FP

I don't think the issue is whether the "aprons" are part of the carriageway - I would assume they are.

My guess is that, as with mini-roundabouts, you're not supposed to encroach unless your vehicle is too big to go round.

As for overtaking - there's daft and there's seriously daft.

Hyundai i10 - Traffic roundabout with Apron - Crickleymal

We've got them around here. I really don't understand what the purpose is. I usually avoid the apron but sometimes don't, depending on what the car next to me is doing or what speed I'm going.

Hyundai i10 - Traffic roundabout with Apron - Will Hopkins

I think you are right that they are part of the carriageway.

Hyundai i10 - Traffic roundabout with Apron - Andrew-T

I think you are right that they are part of the carriageway.

Of course they are. They are like mini-roundabouts where drivers are encouraged to use the outer parts, but don't have to. There may be space to imagine overtaking, but it's probably not a clever idea. Any artic vehicle probably has to go over the apron.