Ebay seller/delivery problem - badbusdriver

I ordered a pair of ear rings as a Christmas present for my wife on about the 10th Dec. On the 19th, I received an email saying they had been delivered, though I wasn't aware of this till later in the evening when I was checking my emails. But the bottom line is that they hadn't been delivered. Following morning I reported this to the seller.

Cut to last night and I'm checking my emails only to discover that after looking into it (on request by the seller) Ebay decided (after a grand total of 20 minutes) that i am not going to be refunded for the ear rings.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has experience of this?, if so, how they dealt with it?. Also if anyone has knowledge of where I stand legally and any other potentially useful points, I would be most grateful.

At the moment. my thinking is along two points.

One, I have been using Ebay for well over a decade, I always pay promptly and the only times anyone has had to chase me for money is when there have been extra postal charges to NE Scotland which were not made clear on the listing. Based on 2021 and 2022, I'd guess the total value of stuff I've bought through Ebay over the years to be at least £10k, but possibly more than double. I have 100% positive feedback based on the last 12 months, and I consider myself to be a very good customer.

Second point is simply this, the seller does not know that their courier put the item through my letter box (because they weren't there). But I do know that I didn't receive it. And yes, I know i can't prove that it wasn't delivered, but the seller also can't prove that it was.

Also, and yes I know this doesn't prove anything, but I can certainly forward the order details of the replacement ear rings I was forced to buy, from Amazon (in my experience, deliveries from Amazon are generally quicker, and I was getting worried about how little time there was till Christmas, and of course the postal strike issues).

Just to be clear, we are not talking about a huge sum of money here, its not like it will break me financially, but I do strongly object to being out of pocket because the courier used by the seller put the item through the wrong letterbox (assuming it wasn't pocketed).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all collective wisdom.

Oh, and a happy new year!

:-)

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/01/2023 at 10:21

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Ethan Edwards

Start a PayPal dispute now.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - gordonbennet

You say ebay decided against you, but isn't your best bet of rectification through paypal.

You've contacted the seller presumably, you'll need to do this first and then when no joy raise a dispute with paypal.

As for Amazon, yes i know they are detested by many and blamed for the ills of the world, but our experience over many years now has been nothing but positive, the rare disputes have always been sorted in double quick time via their 'chat' customer services.

Its not the fault of Amazon that the high street started to treat their customers as a nuisance to be tolerated only between chatting amongst themselves, aided and abetted by councils who declared war on solvent shoppers who naturally wished to drive to the shops park and shop safely and drive home again.

We used to buy regularly from ebay but Amazon have customer service down to a fine art, the delivery service is superb, once you've established yourself as a trustworthy customer (no, not everyone is) shopping couldn't be easier or safer.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Andrew-T

I do strongly object to being out of pocket because the courier used by the seller put the item through the wrong letterbox (assuming it wasn't pocketed).

In my limited experience of courier deliveries, I think the most likely explanation is the wrong letterbox (tho one must wonder why the receiver didn't pass it on), then it simply didn't leave the van, and lastly the rings were pocketed. We live at an address which is not easily found without detailed instructions. A recent item eventually reached us at the third attempt with a screenshot of a Bing street map indicating the correct place, but with some very misleading local info, so I wasn't surprised that a courier might have given up and moved on the the next load - especially just before Christmas.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - skidpan

I had a dispute early 2022. Bought a battery for the strimmer but whilst it worked fine it would not charge. Contacted seller and they apologised and sent me another which arrived the next day. Again it worked fine but would not charge.

The batteries were sold as NiCad but were actually NiMh but they insisted they would still charge despite the fact they would not.

Asked for refund, they said OK if I sent them back to the USA at a cost of about £45 which was not refundable. They were actually posted from an address at Gatwick but when I said I would post them there (about £10) they refused to have any further contact.

So I contacted Paypal, got a full refund and the batteries are still in the conservatory.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - bathtub tom
The batteries were sold as NiCad but were actually NiMh but they insisted they would still charge despite the fact they would not.

Are you sure they wouldn't charge? NiCad charge at lower current than NiMh and would take longer if you were using a NiCad charger.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Engineer Andy

I do strongly object to being out of pocket because the courier used by the seller put the item through the wrong letterbox (assuming it wasn't pocketed).

In my limited experience of courier deliveries, I think the most likely explanation is the wrong letterbox (tho one must wonder why the receiver didn't pass it on), then it simply didn't leave the van, and lastly the rings were pocketed. We live at an address which is not easily found without detailed instructions. A recent item eventually reached us at the third attempt with a screenshot of a Bing street map indicating the correct place, but with some very misleading local info, so I wasn't surprised that a courier might have given up and moved on the the next load - especially just before Christmas.

I've often seen courier and royal mail deliveries (the latter by temporary 'Christmas' staff) just left 'somewhere' outside a home, which means they are ripe for theft, often by other couriers as well as opportunists.

Thanks for the responses, and yes, now its been mentioned, Paypal would seem to be the most obvious course of action.

Re the couriers, I have no issue with them making a mistake which, for them at this time of year, must be incredible easy to do. But presumably the courier is denying this. If the courier put in through the letterbox of a neighbour, I would expect them to pass it on. So my thinking, given the numbers at the top of our road (I'm 3, and my name is on the doorbell too) are clearly marked, is that it might have actually been put in 'number 3', but on the wrong road.

Obviously can't say for certain it wasn't left outside, but I think it unlikely. The replacement ear rings arrived in a small box within an A5 padded envelope which easily went through the letterbox and I can't imagine the first pair would have been packed in anything bigger, certainly not as big it would fit.

Anyway, thanks again, I'm off to log in to Paypal!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/01/2023 at 17:30

I ordered a new smartphone, a tube of toothpaste turned up in the distinctive packaging. I realised the packaging could be opened enough for the contents to be removed and swapped for something of a similar weight.

Amazon didn't quibble, although they did ask me to return the toothpaste.

Whilst on this subject, have you all had a look at the numbering/naming of your home as if you were a stranger trying to find your particular house, especially in the dark.

Our home is set back from the road and is gated, it was built after the rest of the road so the numbering isn't consecutive or obvious (hence the house was named as well as numbered when built), also judging by the other houses indeed the majority of houses anywhere you struggle to read any of their numbers in darkness from a vehicle, so we put up much more readable signs on the gates themselves both for the number and the name of our address.

Before doing this we often had mix ups re deliveries (even the gas people had our meter and next door mixed up at one time), especially in darkness, since putting up better signs this almost never happens.

Most houses are still signed up as if its only the regular postie who delivers things, usually in daylight on foot on a regular round, those days are over and we as householders should try and make it as easy as possible for the couries, who are often foreign to boot, to do their jobs well.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Crickleymal

Whilst on this subject, have you all had a look at the numbering/naming of your home as if you were a stranger trying to find your particular house, especially in the dark..

A very good point. I've had quite a few problems trying to locate houses when I'm buying something second hand or collecting something from Freecycle. Often you get miniscule numbers on houses set back from the road or numbers in colours quite similar to the house colour. Driving down a road shining a bright torch at houses seems a bit antisocial but what can you do?

Ebay seller/delivery problem - expat

Whilst on this subject, have you all had a look at the numbering/naming of your home as if you were a stranger trying to find your particular house, especially in the dark..

A very good point. I've had quite a few problems trying to locate houses when I'm buying something second hand or collecting something from Freecycle. Often you get miniscule numbers on houses set back from the road or numbers in colours quite similar to the house colour. Driving down a road shining a bright torch at houses seems a bit antisocial but what can you do?

We have enterprising people who will paint your number on the kerb beside your driveway. They put down a square of green paint and then stencil on the number in yellow reflective paint. You get charged about $20 for this. Every year or two there is a flyer put in your letter box saying they are going to do your street and giving details of how to book and pay. A nice little earner for someone and a useful service.

We have enterprising people who will paint your number on the kerb beside your driveway. They put down a square of green paint and then stencil on the number in yellow reflective paint. You get charged about $20 for this. Every year or two there is a flyer put in your letter box saying they are going to do your street and giving details of how to book and pay. A nice little earner for someone and a useful service.

An excellent idea, but wouldn't help a great deal in the UK where you can't see most of the kerbs for parked vehicles.

Whilst on this subject, have you all had a look at the numbering/naming of your home as if you were a stranger trying to find your particular house, especially in the dark.

That is a fair point. But in my case, the delivery (according to the email) was just after 1pm and my door opens on to the pavement. Even if it was after dark, the street lighting is enough to show the door numbers.

But yes, street numbers can make little sense. On one street I clean windows, number 25 is next to number 20!. And on a couple of other streets (because there is no number 13), number 11 is next to 15, which could be confusing!.

But to update, I have been in touch with Paypal and they refunded me the money for the first ear rings even before I'd logged off!. I think I am still going to complain about it to Ebay though (for what that is worth!).

But yes, street numbers can make little sense. On one street I clean windows, number 25 is next to number 20!. And on a couple of other streets (because there is no number 13), number 11 is next to 15, which could be confusing!.

My daughter lives in a village where there are no number 13. She lives at 169!

Excellent result BBD, this sort of story isn't encouraging one to return to ebay from Amazon.

Talking of house numbering, back when my kids were little i used to drive taxis on sat and sun evenings, one new build council estate in particular it was almost impossible to work out where the numbers went, made sense only to a lunatic, park the taxi where you thought was closest and it could easily be half a mile walking around before you ended up at the right address in that maze.

As an aside, just had a query of my own, bought some workboots that seemed a decent bargain, would have been but apparently oversubscribed so none left. However they took my credit card payment and via text only advised they would refund, about 5 weeks later i'm checking my b'card statement and sure enough no refund, contacted them and they've now refunded couple of days ago, wasn't ebay or amazon but another similar type of operation though on a much smaller scale, won't be shopping there again, confess i'm a little lax on checking statements and this has been a timely reminder to be more vigilant, wonder how many refunds don't happen unnoticed?

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/01/2023 at 09:31

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Adampr

We live on a street with no numbers at all, just names. We have the name on the house and on the gate but I still spend a lot of time standing on the drive waving at white vans. What Three Words can be really helpful for visitors, but rarely gets through to individual couriers.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - skidpan

We have enterprising people who will paint your number on the kerb beside your driveway. They put down a square of green paint and then stencil on the number in yellow reflective paint. You get charged about $20 for this. Every year or two there is a flyer put in your letter box saying they are going to do your street and giving details of how to book and pay. A nice little earner for someone and a useful service

I think the people doing this would be charged with graffiti.

What a mess it must make of the area.

If the delivery drivers cannot read numbers, work out where they are delivering and then do it correctly they should not be doing the job. Plenty out there who would happily take their place and do a good job.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Chris M

"Plenty out there who would happily take their place and do a good job."

Not the case. I know the manager at our local EVRi delivery depot. They cannot get enough reliable staff. Being out in all weathers for what is not a well paid job just doesn't appeal to enough people.

<< If the delivery drivers cannot read numbers, work out where they are delivering and then do it correctly they should not be doing the job. Plenty out there who would happily take their place and do a good job. >>

When a courier finally delivered a package at the third attempt shortly before Christmas, it arrived with a screenshot of a Bing map attached, presumably to help the van-man. Our house was correctly indicated, but adjacent to a large building which was conspicuously and prominently mislabelled. Couriers cannot be blamed for nonsense available to anyone on the internet.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Crickleymal

We have enterprising people who will paint your number on the kerb beside your driveway. They put down a square of green paint and then stencil on the number in yellow reflective paint. You get charged about $20 for this. Every year or two there is a flyer put in your letter box saying they are going to do your street and giving details of how to book and pay. A nice little earner for someone and a useful service

If the delivery drivers cannot read numbers, work out where they are delivering and then do it correctly they should not be doing the job. Plenty out there who would happily take their place and do a good job.

Like I said earlier, house numbers can be incredibly difficult to read especially at night. That said we've had two attempted deliveries of fast food which wasn't for us and wasn't even in our road or the adjacent road. Quite what the courier was doing there is anyone's guess.

Like I said earlier, house numbers can be incredibly difficult to read especially at night.

I agree (though not in my own case). But also, courier drivers are under enormous pressure in the weeks leading up to Christmas, so I doubt it would be that difficult to make a mistake. Another point is that in my experience, the address on the labels of some parcels can be very small!.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Bromptonaut

That said we've had two attempted deliveries of fast food which wasn't for us and wasn't even in our road or the adjacent road. Quite what the courier was doing there is anyone's guess.

I've had an ongoing issue like that with Amazon.

On 19 December they tried to deliver a parcel. It was addressed to number 29 (which is my house number) but a different street name and post code. I sent it away.

They tried again that evening and, alongside a package of my own on 20th. That driver was first language English, could see it was wrong, and said he'd speak to his manager.

Nothing until after Christmas when they tried again on both 29th and 30th. Both drivers were adamant that the handheld device that tells them where to deliver each parcel showed my address.

On 29th I clocked the addressee's name and was able to trace them through social media. They're in a new build on the other side of Northampton. Royal Mail have allocated a postcode but it seems not to have been added to commercial databases.

It seems likely that somebody or some software decided mine was a near match.

On the final occasion I sellotaped a message to the box together with a map for where it should go.

I don't think some people realise just what a job these delivery drivers have, we had a recent delivery from either Yodel or DPD, had been given a late afternoon timeslot and kept and eye on the tracker, we were something like delivery number 190 and it wasn't the driver's last job, he may well have had pick ups after that, yet apparently because he can't read a barely legible number in the dark from some 100 ft away whilst driving and doing everythingelse he has to, he should be replaced by presumably the terminator with multiple methods of vision according to someone here, you couldn't make this up.

Its in all of our interests to try and make home delivery driver's lives as easy as possible, we're all benefitting and saving hassle time and money from the now usually excellent delivery services instead of having to trawl the shops, it can't be beyond any of us to buy some preferably luminous numbers and nail them where they can be seen from the road.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - corax

Its in all of our interests to try and make home delivery driver's lives as easy as possible, we're all benefitting and saving hassle time and money from the now usually excellent delivery services instead of having to trawl the shops, it can't be beyond any of us to buy some preferably luminous numbers and nail them where they can be seen from the road.

Well said. Obviously you will get the odd one that won't be completely considerate, but on the whole they should be cut some slack. When they are trying to find an address, they are wasting time and they have deadlines to meet, sometimes unreasonable. I am amazed at how quickly I receive parcels sometimes, and glad I don't have to drive to the main depot to pick up a parcel that couldn't be delivered earlier, like I used to.

There is bound to be more mistakes made at the current time, the UK isn't a symmetrical layout of perfectly displayed numbers by any stretch of the imagination.

<< I am amazed at how quickly I receive parcels sometimes, >>

Slightly off topic, but today I received (Royal Mail) my Ancestry DNA kit. Nothing odd about that, you might say, except that it had left the German source on Nov.26th and Germany 2 days later. Nothing was heard for 3 weeks so we reported it lost in transit and got a replacement, which arrived in about 10 days.

The original one turned up unexpectedly today - the track said it arrived in UK on Dec.20th and at our local depot yesterday. Just shows the effect that bank holidays and strikes can have. I wonder where it had spent those lost 3 weeks ?

Ebay seller/delivery problem - FiestaOwner

Agree with every word of yours GB.

Just a point for anyone who thinks they don't need a house number or name, which can be easily read from the road (even at night). How do you expect an ambulance to be able to find your house. If you're at home by yourself and need to call one, you're unlikely to be able to go out and flag it down on the passing!

<< Just a point for anyone who thinks they don't need a house number or name, which can be easily read from the road (even at night). How do you expect an ambulance to be able to find your house. If you're at home by yourself and need to call one, you're unlikely to be able to go out and flag it down on the passing! >>

Although our address is on High Street we are actually about 60 yards off it by a narrow lane. Until a few years ago we had just a name connected with the large Victorian house in front. To help couriers etc find us we enquired about getting numbered, and were encouraged to do so for that very reason - helping emergency services find us if needed. We still have to 'go out and flag' some couriers when they call saying they are lost .... :-(

Although our address is on High Street we are actually about 60 yards off it by a narrow lane. Until a few years ago we had just a name connected with the large Victorian house in front. To help couriers etc find us we enquired about getting numbered, and were encouraged to do so for that very reason - helping emergency services find us if needed. We still have to 'go out and flag' some couriers when they call saying they are lost .... :-(

I often pass a sign with an arrow pointing the way plus full postcode and house name/number into a driveway to an othwerise difficult to find house, exactly how it would appear on the typical parcel address label, i thought this an excellent idea for such situations as yours.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - alan1302

There often aren't any numbers, many places have missing numbers, numbers with houses with names in-between and then more numbers. Random houses down unlit tiny roads. You should give it a try and see it's not as simple as you make out.

Received some Christmas cards today. Franked as posted 11/12.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - expat

It is only done if you commission them to do it. You don't get it if you don't want it and pay for it. It is all done very neatly and the numbers shine at night when your headlights hit them.

So things have taken an unexpected turn. After the initial annoyance at Ebay (and the seller's) attitude in their refusal to refund me for the missing earrings, or even accept the possibility that the problem might have been due to the courier delivering them to the wrong house. Then taking it up with Paypal and immediately getting a refund, the first earrings have now turned up!. At least I am assuming they are the first earrings, I certainly haven't had any messages from either Ebay or the seller telling me that they were going to send replacements.

So now I'm wondering what to do. My wife received the (very similar) replacement earrings in time for Christmas and loved them. I'm also very uncomfortable receiving 'something for nothing'.

So I'm wondering if I should send them back?

Ebay seller/delivery problem - Chris M

I assume the package has a tracking number so you could see when it was sent?

Message the seller to tell them they have arrived and if they'd like to send you a return label, you'll pop them in the post. If you hear nothing, that's next Christmas sorted!

You know what the right thing to do is BBD, pay the man again for them and wifey gets a spare set and second Christmas box, anything like my wifey and she's bound to lose one of the set currently in use.

I assume the package has a tracking number so you could see when it was sent?

Message the seller to tell them they have arrived and if they'd like to send you a return label, you'll pop them in the post. If you hear nothing, that's next Christmas sorted!

Yes it does Chris, didn't even look when it first arrived. Sent on the 11th December, so definitely the first pair, the ones which the courier "delivered" on the 19th!. And yes, I think I'll do that and see if I can get a return label.

You know what the right thing to do is BBD, pay the man again for them and wifey gets a spare set and second Christmas box, anything like my wifey and she's bound to lose one of the set currently in use.

I hear what you are saying GB, but if anything, them turning up now has annoyed me even more. The courier sent me an email saying they had delivered the package, when obviously they hadn't. Now yes, that isn't the sellers fault, but it certainly isn't mine. My 'contract' was with the seller, theirs was with me and their courier. Also, when I reported the item not having been delivered, the seller did not respond to me, no contact at all one way or the other. A few days after my getting in touch with Ebay again (because their had still been no response from the seller) they (Ebay) responded by saying the seller had asked them to look over the case. If the seller had responded to me, then I might feel a bit more inclined to 'buy them again'. As it is, I'll do as Chris suggests and see if I can get a return label. I think that is plenty generous enough under the circumstances.

My wife isn't really a jewellery person and very picky about what she does want. If she wants, I'll happily get her earrings again next Christmas, but it wouldn't be (more or less) the same ones!

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/01/2023 at 17:50

<< Now yes, that isn't the seller's fault, but it certainly isn't mine. My 'contract' was with the seller, theirs was with me and their courier. >>

Sounds as if you had pretty much the same experience as I did, BBD (above). I don't know how lavish the presentation box was for those earrings, but it seems to me daft to send something that size by courier. Many couriers are known to be unreliable or unable to find an address. Send small stuff by Royal Mail, it's quite likely quicker and the postie knows where all the addresses are (assuming they are correct).

<< Now yes, that isn't the seller's fault, but it certainly isn't mine. My 'contract' was with the seller, theirs was with me and their courier. >>

Sounds as if you had pretty much the same experience as I did, BBD (above). I don't know how lavish the presentation box was for those earrings, but it seems to me daft to send something that size by courier. Many couriers are known to be unreliable or unable to find an address. Send small stuff by Royal Mail, it's quite likely quicker and the postie knows where all the addresses are (assuming they are correct).

As with the replacement earrings I ordered, the originals (eventually) turned up in an A5 padded envelope. The box inside it with the earrings is 6x4x1cm.

So yes I'd agree with Royal Mail on something like that.

Ebay seller/delivery problem - alan1302

Send small stuff by Royal Mail, it's quite likely quicker and the postie knows where all the addresses are (assuming they are correct).

Usually I'd agree but not at the moment with all the strikes they have had in December - Royal Mail is very behind in a lot of areas and a lot of places are days if not weeks behind. Many companies have switched over to different couriers to get things to people quicker.

RM is all well and good, but compared to DPD and Yodel their parcel service is in the dark ages, miss the delivery which could come at any time and it's the hassle of going and fetching your parcel, with the others you know the day before its coming and have the option to change delivery day online, once the day happens you get a time slot which is usually correct.