Listen with Mother - sammy1

73 years ago, 15 minutes of sheer delight for little one started on the BBC. How times have changed for the very young. Almost as soon as they are talking they are reaching for a mobile phone or plonked in front of the TV to keep them amused where as they could listen to a story and a couple of nursery rhymes and mum would be looking after them. Now a lot of parents are paying an arm and a leg to child minders so that two incomes will sustain their consumer way of life. Certainly a different way of life and no going back to perhaps less stressful times.

Listen with Mother - gordonbennet

Not quite old enough for listen with mother, but i loved watch with mother back in the day.

Woodentops, Bill and Ben, Andy Pandy to mention a few.

It is possible to return to those days, its always been possible (i/we did it) but to do so without interference or payment by the state it generally requires a nuclear family model with the breadwinner working hard and long enough to provide for all the family allowing the other parent to stay at home doing the massively important task of raising the next generation...i use the term parent because there are relationships where the once traditional role of father (other parents are available) being breadwinner are reversed because mother (other parents are available) has a better paying career.

Cancelling the TV licence and avoiding all forms of mainstream media would be my suggestion for a start to a long and happy life together for any young couple who might wish to turn the clock back to better times and raise their families innocently, one needs the msm like a hole in the head, they could always search online for watch with mother videos, later on they might even find dvd's of 'it aint 'alf hot mum' for their teenagers to enjoy as we did and as a bonus find snowflakes fainting in the ailes :-)

To return to simpler less stressful times generally, switch off the i**** box in the corner and stop looking at printed or online mainstream dross, these actions alone will have a massively therapeutic effect, you'll feel like a battery hen does once it escapes and learns to be a chicken again after a remarkably short time.

really! how snowflakish that the word to denote a fool in the last sentence is asterixed out.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/01/2023 at 15:11

Listen with Mother - skidpan

really! how snowflakish that the word to denote a fool in the last sentence is asterixed out.

For pities sake, why use that "snowflake" word again, it should be asterisked itself.

I saw a snowflake today, white thing that fell from the sky.

Listen with Mother - sammy1

"""I saw a snowflake today, white thing that fell from the sky.""

I wonder did you stop to see how delicate it is. Do you know that under a microscope they are truly beautiful and form many intricate patterns.

Listen with Mother - bathtub tom

I recently heard of a headmistress, who fed up with her children's obsession with media data on their mobile phones, removed the SIMs and put them in old 'dumb' phones. They can still make and receive calls and texts, but nothing else.

Listen with Mother - Crickleymal

We had lots of things in the old days that we don't have now. Like diphtheria, polio etc.

Listen with Mother - Andrew-T

We had lots of things in the old days that we don't have now. Like diphtheria, polio etc.

But not Covid or other instant pandemics caused by widespread air travel .... :-(

Listen with Mother - groaver

You can't beat a "good old world war" to stir things up.

Listen with Mother - gordonbennet

You can't beat a "good old world war" to stir things up.

Jolly useful for diverting attention away from things we'd rather were only picked up by 'conspiracy theorists', whom we can get on-side frogs simmering away gently to ridicule.

Listen with Mother - Engineer Andy

I preferred The Flumps, Roobarb & Custard and The Wombles was I was a little kid, then onto Danger Mouse, Paddington, Morph etc before adventure and sci-fi TV and film took over.

Listen with Mother - catsdad

My grandson is coming up to three years old. I have been watching TV with him and must say it’s far superior to what I watched as a kid. A lot of it is genuinely educational without preaching. The kids TV I recall from my childhood (or have seen in retrospective documentaries) tended to major simply on the need for kids to be well behaved.Today it’s much more varied.

Of course you need to ensure kids get other stimulation and he gets plenty of other activities other than TV.

Listen with Mother - Engineer Andy

My grandson is coming up to three years old. I have been watching TV with him and must say it’s far superior to what I watched as a kid. A lot of it is genuinely educational without preaching. The kids TV I recall from my childhood (or have seen in retrospective documentaries) tended to major simply on the need for kids to be well behaved.Today it’s much more varied.

Of course you need to ensure kids get other stimulation and he gets plenty of other activities other than TV.

Indeed - my neighbours have two young kids (4 and 18 months) and they are often chomping at the bit to get outside their flat. I was told that taking kids to the countryisde is a great idea - fesh air, sunshine (when available), animals (when safe) and apparently very good for their immune systems (not just the vitamin D) because of the natural way to mix with the natural environment - though preferably away from intensively farmed crops. As someone once said - a bit of dirt is good for you!

It also appears to tire the kids out, which is very handy when cooking, cleaning and other household jobs are required and parents can get on with things without screaming kids around their feet!

My other neighbour upstairs would certainly agree, gvein she doesn't take kindly to the kids (not their fault really, given the problems of the past few years) getting rather antsy in a noisy way, not that she'd ever let my neighbours know that!

Listen with Mother - martin.mc

I was a teenager in the late 60s and early 70s. There was no internet, satellite TV, home computers or video games. However young people had job opportunities and could afford the important things in life, like buying and running a car. Some could even go in for a new house. In the North of England in 1974 you could buy a new semi for around 8K. Those were the days.

Listen with Mother - martin.mc

No mobile phones either

Listen with Mother - Crickleymal

I was working in Coventry between 1985 and 1988. I could have bought a terraced house "in need of modernisation" for about £8k. Then they extended the M40 and the house boom started and prices quadrupled.