Gender policy in the NHS - sammy1

After some 75 years since the NHS was founded the NHS has issued guidelines to staff on how to address patients. This little exercise are swallowed up some £165k of the budget and to what end Most of the staff normally use christian names but I suppose this is taboo also. Why is tax payers money being wasted on this nonsense when there are more pressing problems. Gov needs to get a grip.

Gender policy in the NHS - Adampr

£165,000 out of a budget of £180,000,000,000 is hardly worth getting excited about. It may all seem pointless to you, but it could prevent a suicide. Saving lives is what the NHS is for.

Gender policy in the NHS - FP

Is your point about "gender policy", as per the heading, or the use of first names? Yes, I know there's an overlap.

PS. After some research, I'm guessing your post is linked to a Daily Mail article regarding the use of pronouns. The Health Secretary has apparently ordered an inquiry.

Gender policy in the NHS - Engineer Andy

Is your point about "gender policy", as per the heading, or the use of first names? Yes, I know there's an overlap.

PS. After some research, I'm guessing your post is linked to a Daily Mail article regarding the use of pronouns. The Health Secretary has apparently ordered an inquiry.

Amazing how something that is supposed to be decided by the politicians has apparently been arbitrarily decided upon by civil servants, bypassing the sec of state. Funny that, and sadly NOT an isolated incident over the last decade.

Gender policy in the NHS - Bromptonaut

Amazing how something that is supposed to be decided by the politicians has apparently been arbitrarily decided upon by civil servants, bypassing the sec of state. Funny that, and sadly NOT an isolated incident over the last decade.

Can you explain why you believe the publication we're discussing was created by Civil Servants on a frolic?

Can you explain why you believe the publication we're discussing was created by Civil Servants on a frolic?

Speak English and I might be able to asnwer your 'question'. But of course, as typical of the Left's tactics, you answer a question with one of your own, because you can't answer mine without making your side look bad. Defend your side's actions for once rather than use the 'attack is the best defence' route.

Speak English and I might be able to asnwer your 'question'. But of course, as typical of the Left's tactics, you answer a question with one of your own, because you can't answer mine without making your side look bad. Defend your side's actions for once rather than use the 'attack is the best defence' route.

You were asked to explain why you thought the publication referenced in Sammy's OP was down to Civil Servants acting on their own and outside of their remit.

The only word there that might trouble an observer by being used in a technical sense was frolic for which I apologise.

@Engineer Andy,

Someone has now posted a link to a media consolidation site which, via LBC, explains what has happened here:

www.lbc.co.uk/news/nhs-doctor-patient-gender-neutr.../?

Somebody relatively senior in the NHS, whose status may or may not be that of a Civil Servant has, as part of his job role, produced some guidance on gender, names etc. Given the reported cost it could have been authorised by somebody who as not even a Senior Civil Servant. However, Dr Brady (assuming he is a CS would be classified as Senior.

Ten years ago when I was in the Civil Service such guidance would have been entirely uncontroversial. In fact I'd go as far as to say organisations would be obliged to ensure their staff had guidance on this stuff.

The fact that Steve Barclay went Full Daily Mail over it says more about the quality and professional integrity of the present cabinet than about what was actually written.

@Engineer Andy,

Someone has now posted a link to a media consolidation site which, via LBC, explains what has happened here:

www.lbc.co.uk/news/nhs-doctor-patient-gender-neutr.../?

Somebody relatively senior in the NHS, whose status may or may not be that of a Civil Servant has, as part of his job role, produced some guidance on gender, names etc. Given the reported cost it could have been authorised by somebody who as not even a Senior Civil Servant. However, Dr Brady (assuming he is a CS would be classified as Senior.

Ten years ago when I was in the Civil Service such guidance would have been entirely uncontroversial. In fact I'd go as far as to say organisations would be obliged to ensure their staff had guidance on this stuff.

The fact that Steve Barclay went Full Daily Mail over it says more about the quality and professional integrity of the present cabinet than about what was actually written.

This is hypocritical of you, given you always said 'ministers decide' and civil servants do their bidding. Funny how that never is the case when they do this sort of highly controvercial act.

You can't have it both ways. This is a policy decision, and obviously not one that any minister made. Period. Your reasoning about 'how this was always done and no-one minded in my day' is, in my view, stretching the truth at best.

Before the wokeness and full capture of the Civil Service by the Left (i.e. before the 1990s, but especially before 1997), ministers did indeed leave some 'decisions' on day-to-day activities to civil servants, precisely because they could be trusted to make reasonable decisions that weren't ideological in nature as these obviously are.

The problem is that most so-called 'Tory' ministers and backbenchers are so weak, despite their big HoC majority at the moment, that they will only moan (to virtue-signal and no more) and do nothing to stop this sort of this happening and to reverse it.

Some are also effectively Blairites with a blue rosette anyway (and support such measures except come election time, and most voters don't bother looking into what their MPs get up to - they just vote blue, right, yellow, etc), which is why so many of us on the political Right are politically homeless and also why many on the Left, including some here, call us 'Far Right', despite our views changing little compared to their moving further leftwards, as have much of parliament's.

This was born out by studies done over the decades of political opinions across the spectrum, both here and in the US. My views have changed little over the years - it's only because of events where things have got so bad has prompted me and others to speak up more often and more verciferously because we can see the direction of travel and how little the normies (whoi make up most voters) are doing.

People - whether here or elsewhere will often not speak up or challenge such 'policies' or actions this and other thread talks about precisely because they fear ostracisation and even 'cancellation', whether that be their livelhood or standing in the community. That Big Tech, the MSM, and so-called mainstream politicians of all stripes support this rather says even more about how low society has fallen over the last 25 years, and especially the past 5.

Opposition parties are either as bad or worse - Stamre having changed his tune to suit which way the winds are blowing (without really believing in what he says), rather like a certain T Blair did. A man of real integrity would never have served in Corbyn's shadow cabinet and then proverbially stabbed him in the front (never mind the back) given the man's views have been well known and unchanging since he entered parliemnt in the early 1980s.

The coverage by the media in this case is virttue-signalling / pandering to each paper's base, but in reality those like the Mail and others (I see much the same in the DT as in left of centre ones under the surface) most couldn't care less or are actually behind the plans, often 100% against the views of their own readership. This is also why so many of us, especially on the political Right, have stopped subscribing to such papers and get their news from other sources as well as second-hand via consolodation sites as you referred to.

I spend more time than ever sorting the wheat (truth, complete andfactual reporting) from the chaff (lies, partial reporting and comment written as fact), mainly because independent (conservative or impartial) media outlets are small and don't yet have the resources to provide a comprehensive news coverage.

This is hypocritical of you, given you always said 'ministers decide' and civil servants do their bidding. Funny how that never is the case when they do this sort of highly controvercial act.

I don't think this sort of thing is controversial. It's guidance for staff to ensure they understand how to deal with people in thier jobs.

You can't have it both ways. This is a policy decision, and obviously not one that any minister made. Period. Your reasoning about 'how this was always done and no-one minded in my day' is, in my view, stretching the truth at best.

As has already been pointed out both by me and others this isn't new and, in reality is business as usual not new policy. I can assure you that as long ago as 2012, and probably long before, there was similar guidance in place for court staff about, for example, naming conventions in different cultures.

Before the wokeness and full capture of the Civil Service by the Left (i.e. before the 1990s, but especially before 1997), ministers did indeed leave some 'decisions' on day-to-day activities to civil servants, precisely because they could be trusted to make reasonable decisions that weren't ideological in nature as these obviously are.

The Civil Service, like any other institution, evolves over time. The idea that it was ideologically captured by the left around the mid point of my career is Nonsense on Stilts.

I don't think this sort of thing is controversial. It's guidance for staff to ensure they understand how to deal with people in thier jobs.

It's only not controvercial to you and people on your side of politics. It's also the thin end of the wedge in such matters.

As has already been pointed out both by me and others this isn't new and, in reality is business as usual not new policy. I can assure you that as long ago as 2012, and probably long before, there was similar guidance in place for court staff about, for example, naming conventions in different cultures.

Many of such 'cultures' have 'emerged' out of nowhere over the last 5 years, all seemingly eminating from people with leftist ideas of 'society'. They aren't foing it any good. Whether similar things were done in the past just shows that civil servants were bypassing ministers (and just doing what the NuLabour ones wanted beforehand, just without promting). It is NOT for them to make up rules as they go along, as you've said many times. You cannot simultaneously blame ministers for decisions, often when they have no idea that the civil servants are just doing their own thing.

Either ministers have full manegerial control, and as such civil servant must do what they are told, and ministers carry the can if that policy turns out to be bad, or civil servants get some latitude to, as you say, interpret rules and edicts from up high, but are then responsible for problems they cause and can be (at any level) sacked by a minister for either incompetence or doing anything that is political in their job against the wishes of their political masters.

You want the civil service to have its cake and eat it in my view - something I think you've espoused for a very long time. With great power comes great responsibility.

The Civil Service, like any other institution, evolves over time. The idea that it was ideologically captured by the left around the mid point of my career is Nonsense on Stilts.

So it was earlier or later then? Either way, I think it DID happen (see below). I reserve judgement as to why you don't believe it has occurred. I somehow doubt it that there's a part of the civil service that hasn't been affected.

Numerous surveys show the political bias heavily towards the Left in the civil service (especially those parts with militant unions), aside from (in the past) the Police and Armed Forces.

That has recently changed as shown by their woke behaviour, e.g. siding with the 'Just Stop Oil' protesters and not the road users, similarly with BLM 'protesters' and not with anti-lockdown protesters - in both cases, the former groups were causing far and away more trouble but were given an easy ride by both police commanders and on the ground officers.

I've worked alongside many civil servants in my old job, and a few brave enough to say so have confirmed my suspicions. It's why most of them wanted out, because the working environment was so politicised and they felt threatende because their views were either conservative or just-A-political. Another significant group just turn a blind eye because they'd rather put up with it all than get the sack or be blackballed for promotion, etc.

Many said things changed significantly (it wasn't that good in the 70s, 80s and early 90s) after Blair took over, but the Tory governments afterwards never did anything meaningful to row back the changes. Much of the problems stem from highly political and incompetent middle and upper middle managers, who have gone from being a smallish percentage to a much larger one since 1997.

I've seen it in action for myself many times interracting with them on numerous projects over my years as an engineer, and why I got so fed up and essentially refused to work on Public Sector projects over the last 5 years of my career. I can fully understand some people's frustrations and for keeping quiet, becuase their careers / livelihoods are at risk, but eventually everyone has their limit to what they can take.

It's only not controvercial to you and people on your side of politics. It's also the thin end of the wedge in such matters.

Can you explain to us why people on your side of the fence think making sure your staff know how to treat people correctly in relation to their names and gender is controversial?

Many of such 'cultures' have 'emerged' out of nowhere over the last 5 years, all seemingly eminating from people with leftist ideas of 'society'.

I've lost my way with your argument here. The guidance I mentioned in the MoJ was about how people in the UK from different cultural/ethnic backgrounds, eg those from China, our former colonies on the Indian and African etc continents etc, use 'family', ' given' and other names. It's actually quite interesting.

Either ministers have full manegerial control, and as such civil servant must do what they are told, and ministers carry the can if that policy turns out to be bad, or civil servants get some latitude to, as you say, interpret rules and edicts from up high, but are then responsible for problems they cause and can be (at any level) sacked by a minister for either incompetence or doing anything that is political in their job against the wishes of their political masters.

You want the civil service to have its cake and eat it in my view - something I think you've espoused for a very long time. With great power comes great responsibility.

As I've already explained I don't think this stuff is new or that the Doctor supervising its writing thought it would be controversial. I would go as far as to say that failing to provide guidance to ensure compliance with the Equality Act and the Public Sector Equality Duty might lead one to be found in dereliction of duty.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain the issue of adjustments for disability. One example was a man with agoraphobia to the point he collapsed if he went outdoors being told he had to go the the Job Centre in person to verify his bank details.

So it was earlier or later then? Either way, I think it DID happen (see below). I reserve judgement as to why you don't believe it has occurred. I somehow doubt it that there's a part of the civil service that hasn't been affected.

Numerous surveys show the political bias heavily towards the Left in the civil service (especially those parts with militant unions), aside from (in the past) the Police and Armed Forces.

Which surveys, by whom and available where?

That has recently changed as shown by their woke behaviour, e.g. siding with the 'Just Stop Oil' protesters and not the road users, similarly with BLM 'protesters' and not with anti-lockdown protesters - in both cases, the former groups were causing far and away more trouble but were given an easy ride by both police commanders and on the ground officers.

I've worked alongside many civil servants in my old job, and a few brave enough to say so have confirmed my suspicions. It's why most of them wanted out, because the working environment was so politicised and they felt threatende because their views were either conservative or just-A-political. Another significant group just turn a blind eye because they'd rather put up with it all than get the sack or be blackballed for promotion, etc.

Many said things changed significantly (it wasn't that good in the 70s, 80s and early 90s) after Blair took over, but the Tory governments afterwards never did anything meaningful to row back the changes. Much of the problems stem from highly political and incompetent middle and upper middle managers, who have gone from being a smallish percentage to a much larger one since 1997.

I've seen it in action for myself many times interracting with them on numerous projects over my years as an engineer, and why I got so fed up and essentially refused to work on Public Sector projects over the last 5 years of my career. I can fully understand some people's frustrations and for keeping quiet, becuase their careers / livelihoods are at risk, but eventually everyone has their limit to what they can take.

I'm not going to disect the above. Readers can make their own judgement.

Can you explain to us why people on your side of the fence think making sure your staff know how to treat people correctly in relation to their names and gender is controversial?

There are only two genders - whatever some may think. Just because some mentally-ill person want you to call them a balloon, a frog or whatever does not make that right. It just makes them ill and need of actual help.

99% of these 'prnouns' have been literally made up in the last few years by such people, often changing day by day depending on their mood. Does that sound like the actions of a sane person you'd want to work with, who is obsessed with what you call them at any one time rather than the quality of the work they do or how you generally treat eachother. So many also appear to very narcissistic.

Many of such 'cultures' have 'emerged' out of nowhere over the last 5 years, all seemingly eminating from people with leftist ideas of 'society'.

I've lost my way with your argument here. The guidance I mentioned in the MoJ was about how people in the UK from different cultural/ethnic backgrounds, eg those from China, our former colonies on the Indian and African etc continents etc, use 'family', ' given' and other names. It's actually quite interesting.

Translating the equivalent of Mr, Mrs etc, the equivalent of Russian ov / ova surnames and the convention of some Far Eastern family names being given first before their given (equivalent of Christian) names is one thing, saying Xi or suchlike for the certain 'members of the alphabet community' and/or an insistence on staff having(or needing to) badge with 'preferred pronouns' with 'diversity training' (indocrination into woke agendas like CRT) is quite another.

If a foreign way of using names (i.e. long established culture, not 'the [current thing] in wokeness this week in what 'gender' to be and how to be addressed as such) does NOT and never will require 'training' or 'guideance.

Reasonable people just politley point out that their naming convention (for example) means that their given name is [whatever] if someone they speak to gets it wrong. A reasonable person won't take offence at that.

A reasonable employer will take that into account and just say when such a person is a new stater that they are from X country and their equivalent of a Christian name is their 'last' name. All that requires is either a quick chat with the troops or at most an email.

Whether a person (new starter or not) has different sexual preferences to most people should a) be no concern of anyone and b) should not feature in any way in a workplace - on both sides.

One of my own extended family is one such person, and they've never made anything of it in their job or interpersonal relationships with other members of teh family or their friends. They don't ask to be treated any differently to anyone else, called anything different. They just ARE.

I'm not going to disect the above. Readers can make their own judgement.

Indeed they will.

Gender policy in the NHS - Andrew-T

Based on my own recent experience, £165K would pay for just 10 ankle replacement operations. Worthwhile, but not bank-breaking in the grand scheme. But I have to agree with the suggestion that the 'policy' smacks of wokishness or virtue signalling. Most NHS workers will be pretty clear about the true sex/gender of a patient.

My post is more about the general waste of money in the NHS I fail to see for instance how a paramedic attending a patient for the first time has a clue as to their preferred gender only as how they are presented male or female.

Yes another costly inquiry about something that should not have happened in the first place

Gender policy in the NHS - Terry W

It is easy to become confused by numbers. £165k out of an NHS budget of £180bn is less than 1 millionth of annual spend.

It can help to express a sum proportionate to a typical income of, say, £30k pa - a more "human" level rather than a row of 0000s.

There are 3m pence in £30k average income. I millionth would be 3 pence. Utterly trivial.

It may be a waste of money, it may not. It is worth spending the money to get an answer as the way in which people communicate is a significant influence on feelings.

Worth noting that some older members of staff and certainly elderly patients may be far more comfortable with formality than first names. The trans debate is a whole different level of issue.

It is easy to become confused by numbers. £165k out of an NHS budget of £180bn is less than 1 millionth of annual spend.

It can help to express a sum proportionate to a typical income of, say, £30k pa - a more "human" level rather than a row of 0000s.

There are 3m pence in £30k average income. I millionth would be 3 pence. Utterly trivial.

It may be a waste of money, it may not. It is worth spending the money to get an answer as the way in which people communicate is a significant influence on feelings.

Worth noting that some older members of staff and certainly elderly patients may be far more comfortable with formality than first names. The trans debate is a whole different level of issue.

It doesn't matter why they did it (which is bad enough), it's that civil servants did this without any authority from ministers. According to certain individuals, aren't civil servants supposed to carry out orders / policies of the minister, not make them up as they see fit and hide them?

A lot of this has been going on, and all those £100ks add up, including the divserity and inclusion officers, which is a complete joke given a) you wwant the best for the job, not box-ticking discrimination to get a workforce soley based on the breakdown of what the population is, and b) a greater percentage of the NHS workforce are in such groups, and c) the vast majority of those works are obviously not Tory supporters, so what does it say about them that they are regularly told are ists and phobes by their own 'diversity managers'?

All the public wants is professional, dedicated, caring people who put the welfare of the patient first. And they don't need more and more money spent on such nonsense, especially when thje public finances are so tight, mostly because of spending that those same workforce wanted over the last 3 years that did far more harm than good.

Are you serious suggesting that ministerial approval should be needed for every piece of guidance issued or research carried out?

<< It doesn't matter why they did it (which is bad enough), it's that civil servants did this without any authority from ministers. According to certain individuals, aren't civil servants supposed to carry out orders / policies of the minister, not make them up as they see fit and hide them? >>

Surely you aren't suggesting that no Whitehall civil servant can initiate any action without authority from a minister ? Or maybe that is why nothing significant gets done, as I think you may have suggested from time to time ? Or why most ministers are failures as there just aren't enough hours in the day for giving authority ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/02/2023 at 15:31

The scenario of the Yes Minister TV is certainly alive and kicking today. Since brexit the civil service are by all accounts still "working" from home. How can this be good for communication and productivity. The team that put the gender policy together either had direction or otherwise. I doubt if we will find out, However reading through what is available it seems obvious that a considerable amount of time must have been devoted to this when more pressing things could have been undertaken.

From my own prospective quite a few people I know work from home. If they are working "9 to 5" then why are they out walking the dog ,popping down the shop, or mowing the grass etc. I wonder how these days you get a job and work from home. How do you even begin to know the company its working practices and the colleagues you work with?

"By all accounts". Have you asked a civil servant for their account, or are you still relying on the garbage printed in the Daily Mail?

Gender policy in the NHS - Xileno

"If they are working "9 to 5" then why are they out walking the dog ,popping down the shop, or mowing the grass etc."

Probably because they are not working "9 to 5". The Civil Service got rid of core hours years ago and moved to flexible working, as are an increasing number of companies when I'm out and about speaking to people.

I work almost exclusively from home as do my staff. It's all project based, the concept of fixed hours is a nonsense. As long as the work is getting done and it's to the expected quality, I couldn't care less about where or when it's done.

If there are people taking advantage which is what you suggest then that's down to bad line management.

When I recruit, working from home is right up there with pay in relation to terms and conditions that applicants are looking for. Any modern and sensible employer needs to recognise that flexible working including at least some of the working week can be at home is here to stay. The trend was happening before the pandemic, all the pandemic did was speed the change up a good five/ ten years, along with the demise of the high street.

"""If there are people taking advantage which is what you suggest then that's down to bad line management."""

Whilst I appreciate that work based computer screen work is remote these days and your explanation which is sound I am referring to the civil service as a whole. Reports of nearly every government office are reported as negative on attendance at work or productivity. Need I mention the DVLA or indeed customs and taxes as an example The gov are reported as finding it ""difficult" to persuade staff back into the office, These organisations and many are supposed to offer a service to us the tax payer and fail miserably. Time was they did, so either WFH is failing some or as you said poor management and or the unions.

<< It doesn't matter why they did it (which is bad enough), it's that civil servants did this without any authority from ministers. According to certain individuals, aren't civil servants supposed to carry out orders / policies of the minister, not make them up as they see fit and hide them? >>

Surely you aren't suggesting that no Whitehall civil servant can initiate any action without authority from a minister ? Or maybe that is why nothing significant gets done, as I think you may have suggested from time to time ? Or why most ministers are failures as there just aren't enough hours in the day for giving authority ?

That is Bromponaut's argument every time - the whole point of the civil service is to carry out the orders of their politicial masters - i.e. implement policy. NOT to make it up themselves. Of course, in reality, they do, because they 'interpret' policy however they want, which means it is they who are (and have been for decades) in control of it all.

The only way to stop this is to completely change the system and to significantly scale back what government does - which will also have the bonus of saving untold £Bns that achieve no useful prupose other than keeping these people and their cronies in employment, as well as to further leftist ideology only society as a whole without consent.

That is Bromponaut's argument every time - the whole point of the civil service is to carry out the orders of their politicial masters - i.e. implement policy. NOT to make it up themselves. Of course, in reality, they do, because they 'interpret' policy however they want, which means it is they who are (and have been for decades) in control of it all.

The only way to stop this is to completely change the system and to significantly scale back what government does - which will also have the bonus of saving untold £Bns that achieve no useful prupose other than keeping these people and their cronies in employment, as well as to further leftist ideology only society as a whole without consent.

So, you want to scale back Government because the Government has scaled back? Got it.

So, you want to scale back Government because the Government has scaled back? Got it.

Please show me where government has 'scaled back' in any meaningful way that has meant we started to pay back the national debt and have a surplus every year? The so-called 'austerity' was nothing of the sort, with budgets rising broadly in line or even ahead of inflation, and especially with the money pit of the NHS.

If you read my words carefully, I said that such decisions should only be made by ministers and that government should be scaling back its spending drastically across the board, because we will soon go the way of debt defaulted nations (never to return) if things go on as we currently are.

If we do cut back, then there's more money in our pockets to spend as we want, and as has been shown time and again (the best example was always pre-back with China Hong Kong) to work, because tax revenues rose. But only when public services delivered useful services efficiently.

Gender policy in the NHS - Crickleymal

Are you seriously suggesting that the civil service is left wing? Based on my interactions it's either neutral or slightly right wing.

Gender policy in the NHS - Xileno

I think it depends which Govt. department one is talking about. In my experience MOD neutral to right, DWP left. All a generalisation though as I've only interacted with a small %.

Gender policy in the NHS - Crickleymal

I think it depends which Govt. department one is talking about. In my experience MOD neutral to right, DWP left. All a generalisation though as I've only interacted with a small %.

Fair enough. I don't think it's overwhelmingly left wing which is the basis of Andy's comments.

Edited by Crickleymal on 19/02/2023 at 01:39

After some 75 years since the NHS was founded the NHS has issued guidelines to staff on how to address patients. This little exercise are swallowed up some £165k of the budget and to what end Most of the staff normally use christian names but I suppose this is taboo also. Why is tax payers money being wasted on this nonsense when there are more pressing problems. Gov needs to get a grip.

Can you provide a link that at least begins to explain what this is about - ie what exactly has been issued and by whom - the Ministry, a local hospital trust or Boggsville GP surgery?

The use of the term Christian names is telling. The UK is not by any means a majority Christian country and there are whole communities out there who might find that term baffling. I've had personal experience of that point. Forename/given name has been the usage for many years but some cultures don't use them like we do. The Ministry of Justice had a booklet on naming conventions in different cultures around the turn of the century.

In my line of work I ask people their full name and then, if they've got a UK forename/surname ask if it's ok to use their first name. If I'm not sure I'll ask their preferred name. Based on when my OH was in hospital over Xmas that's exactly what was on the whiteboard by each bed.

Trans people add another level.

Well this country was once a majority Christian country and now we have ended up largely with communities within the country not even speaking English. Whole areas are dominated by one race and to say we have integration in some areas is a mithe Yes it is what it is and most people are polite and caring for others. There must be conceived to be a problem otherwise what is the need to issue guidelines on addressing people or is it just the usual interference on our daily lives.

To answer your question I don't think it was mentioned other than the NHS has put it out and the minister is furious.

PS why do you have to give people the third degree when they post and question where they may have picked up information. Even the media get things reported wrong

People often question your posts because they seem to be based on a particular viewpoint, rather than commonly acknowledged facts. Asking where you got the information from is a very polite way of trying to understand if this impression is correct or if the reality is somewhat different.

People often question your posts because they seem to be based on a particular viewpoint, rather than commonly acknowledged facts. Asking where you got the information from is a very polite way of trying to understand if this impression is correct or if the reality is somewhat different.

I can't tell whose posts you are commenting on ! There are several possibilities ...

Well in this case it is obvious as it is in the general media as are the majority of my views

Gender policy in the NHS - alan1302

Well this country was once a majority Christian country and now we have ended up largely with communities within the country not even speaking English.

What has being Christian got to do with speaking English? There are a lot of Christians that don't speak English.

People like to know where your information came from so that we can read it ourselves and get a better understanding of the issue. It's not about being given the 3rd degree.

Well this country was once a majority Christian country and now we have ended up largely with communities within the country not even speaking English.

What has being Christian got to do with speaking English? There are a lot of Christians that don't speak English.

People like to know where your information came from so that we can read it ourselves and get a better understanding of the issue. It's not about being given the 3rd degree.

Indeed. The majority of Christians worldwide don't speak English as a first language!

I used to live in an area with a very high population of Orthodox Jews. They spoke Hebrew or Russian and didn't readily mix with the general population. However, unsurprisingly, they could and would speak English if I spoke to them. I can't say I noticed a problem with this arrangement on either side.

<< What has being Christian got to do with speaking English? There are a lot of Christians that don't speak English. >>

... and lots of non-Christian speakers of English !

<< What has being Christian got to do with speaking English? There are a lot of Christians that don't speak English. >>

The UK is an English speaking country. It must be hard living in a country where you do not understand people or for that mater read road signs or public notices. The NHS and police in this country pay a small fortune on employing interpreters and are often frustrated in doing their jobs because in a lot of instances people are too lazy or just do not want to integrate in the country they live in. How does it help a countries economy when even maybe small percentage of it citizens are unproductive

The UK is an English speaking country. It must be hard living in a country where you do not understand people or for that mater read road signs or public notices. The NHS and police in this country pay a small fortune on employing interpreters and are often frustrated in doing their jobs because in a lot of instances people are too lazy or just do not want to integrate in the country they live in. How does it help a countries economy when even maybe small percentage of it citizens are unproductive

How many people in England can't speak English do you think? And what makes you think speaking English is needed to be productive?

Gender policy in the NHS - corax

How does it help a countries economy when even maybe small percentage of it citizens are unproductive

I don't think you can blame a small number of immigrants for this country's woeful economy. We seem to have achieved most of that all by ourselves.

How does it help a countries economy when even maybe small percentage of it citizens are unproductive

I don't think you can blame a small number of immigrants for this country's woeful economy. We seem to have achieved most of that all by ourselves.

Indeed we have. Whilst not blaming anyone the drain on the economy of economic illegal migrants is costing us dear. Despite all efforts they are still coming in thousands. We are paying the French, patrolling the channel costing millions and when they do land putting people up in hotels. Non of these people are productive for months on end may be years before they are excepted. Then you have the proportion that have escaped into the so called black economy sometimes estimated at 1million. France has a coastline very similar to ours and there can only be limited unpopulated areas where illegal people smugglers can operate. The crossing has to be a limited distance for obvious reasons Just how difficult can it be to prevent people smugglers. Two of the finest countries in the world seem incapable of sorting the problem. If I was a bit cynical I would suggest that perhaps they don't really want too! The minister in charge of this was on BBC Question Time on Thursday. The minister and the rest of the programme is an insult to the viewing public and to be honest I don't expect much else

The UK is an English speaking country ...

Correction - the UK is a nation with more than one official language. English is the major one, of course, but quite a few have Welsh as their first language, and some manage to speak Scots Gaelic. And in some parts communities speak Hindi or Urdu, a minority of them reluctant to learn English. I agree that they should try harder, as ghettos are not usually a helpful development.

An indication of the 'problem' is the typical circular, often from the NHS, which gives advice in 6 or 8 languages because the UK is not a wholly English-speaking country, and may be getting less so. About 10 years ago it was possible to drive down the A49 south from here and pass temporary diversion signs in Polish, for example.

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/02/2023 at 12:10

Do I question where people get their information or views from. NO

<< Do I question where people get their information or views from. NO >>

There is a difference between questioning the source of your info, and the truth of the info itself. Knowing the source may help to judge the truth ?

There is a difference between questioning the source of your info, and the truth of the info itself. Knowing the source may help to judge the truth ?

Again I do not question others on the source or indeed the truth. This source of this thread as mentioned previously is in the general media from a couple of days ago.

Why is this forum so different from people having face to face conversations. Things are said that perhaps face to face one might expect a punch on the nose. Take most of this thread for instance it feels like ""Tora Tora Tora"" from some members. It only needs polite discussion or is that hoping for too much

Again I do not question others on the source or indeed the truth. This source of this thread as mentioned previously is in the general media from a couple of days ago.

Why is this forum so different from people having face to face conversations.

It's not - if someone tells me something I'd ask them where they heard that.

I've not read anything regarding gender policy in the NHS recently but you have so interested in where you did - but for some reason you don't want to say.

I've not read anything regarding gender policy in the NHS recently but you have so interested in where you did - but for some reason you don't want to say.

The various articles talking about it are here:

ground.news/article/steve-barclay-hits-the-roof-as...l

It's not policy, it's just a pamphlet that was printed to help doctors to do their jobs.

It's not policy, it's just a pamphlet that was printed to help doctors to do their jobs.

Thanks

Thanks

Newspeak. In my entire career, I never ONCE has ANY manager or firm present me or colleagues with any document on how to 'speak' to other people. They rightly assumed that we'd be reasonable and respectful within the limits of acceptability. Bending over backwards to accommodate people who are obviously seriously mentally ill or who are using such behaviour to change society for ill would not be (and isn't) acceptable.

What amazes me is why the supposedly 'great' NHS etc (where the overwhelming majority are left wing politically) need to be told how to be woke, and yet aside from some of the big corporates and charities that have been captured by the Left, no private sector firm feels the need to indulge.

The day 'HR' returns to dealing with your salary payments and company records and nothing else is a day I will rejoice. Modern HR is politicising and killing the workplace.

Thanks

Newspeak. In my entire career, I never ONCE has ANY manager or firm present me or colleagues with any document on how to 'speak' to other people. They rightly assumed that we'd be reasonable and respectful within the limits of acceptability. Bending over backwards to accommodate people who are obviously seriously mentally ill or who are using such behaviour to change society for ill would not be (and isn't) acceptable.

Working with people as an engineer is very different from dealing with people via the NHS

Thanks

Working with people as an engineer is very different from dealing with people via the NHS

How, exactly? You still talk to staff - including those on the wards, managers etc as well as the behind-the-scenes facilities staff and higher-ups.

I've also interracted as most of us have with a wide variety of medical and ancillary staff over the years as a patient and when dealing with family issues. I also have a few relatives (see the thread from today) who work or who have worked in the health setting, including the NHS, and who have spoken to me about their experiences, as have I.

On a professional level, I have interracted with a wide variety of different people from different parts of comapnies and organisations from both the private and public sectors. A good building services engineer has to often speak to end-users of the systems we design because we want to know what their needs are, problems with existing systems, feedback on installations and to understand existing systems.

You can find out a lot from speaking to people, often vital information that you can't from a survey of equipment and systems. Doing so also can often give a big insight into how organisations work, the attitudes of staff towards eachother and how you as an outsider may be 'treated' by them when interracting over the longer term.

One thing I've noticed is that under certain circumstances, many people will be far more candid in their views than in a more public setting, especially if you demonstrate a decent amount of trust, honesty, respect and reasonableness in your dealings with them.

Unfortunately, many middle and upper managers, especially within the (nowadays) all-mighty but no-use-to-anyone HR sphere are either leftist ideologues wanting to force their own agenda onto workplaces or are weak-minded people who just go with whatever is the [current thing] tp placate those who shout loudest from the activist groups (of that first type), most of whom are self-serving and provide a significant negative impact on the workplace.

"""It's not policy, it's just a pamphlet that was printed to help doctors to do their jobs.""

Well a 16page pamphlet sounds very much some ones policy to me!

"""It's not policy, it's just a pamphlet that was printed to help doctors to do their jobs.""

A 16 page pamphlet sounds like some ones policy to me.

That's the point, exactly. If one is posting something seen in the news it's really helpful to be able to see (or easily find) the original report.

I'm not getting at you personally, or giving anyone the third degree.

If we were having these chats in a pub over a few beers then the tone/intent would be clearly be that of a polite question. Typing on a screen doesn't have a tone.

""I'm not getting at you personally, or giving anyone the third degree.""

OK I understand where you are coming from and happy to move on

Gender policy in the NHS - John F

.......the NHS has issued guidelines to staff on how to address patients. This little exercise are swallowed up some £165k of the budget and to what end Most of the staff normally use christian names but I suppose this is taboo also.

Not 'taboo', but inadvisable. Decades ago I had to advise one of our receptionists overheard asking an obviously non-Christian person... 'what is your christian name?' .... that this was no longer appropriate.

Why is tax payers money being wasted on this nonsense when there are more pressing problems. Gov needs to get a grip.

Not a waste if there are still people around who think given names and Christian names are synonymous. The recent census shows around a third of the population is not religious - and the figure would have been even higher had the question 'What is your religion?' followed by a number of choices been phrased differently - without the implied assumption that everyone either has, or is born into, a religion.

As for 'gender policy', there is nothing new about the existence of boyish girls and girlish boys. The scandal of the Tavistock's GIDS just beggars belief.

Edited by John F on 19/02/2023 at 15:26

"""As for 'gender policy', there is nothing new about the existence of boyish girls and girlish boys. The scandal of the Tavistock's GIDS just beggars belief."""

Yes> Tavistock are under notice to close and still operating and handing out drugs to young people. This is surely going to end in court and damages for some

May be we should just ask What is your name

Edited by sammy1 on 19/02/2023 at 16:15

Have GPs got the time to even read the pamphlet giving all the other paperwork they have to contend with. I hazard a guess that anyone in the job more than a few years would file it straight in the recycling bin. If a GP or any other reasonable citizen does not know how to address or deal with people what hope is there

Tavistock have had their licence extended to August because the centres being set up to replace it are not ready to open.

Has anyone else had more luck than me in finding the actual NHS document which Sammy refers to in the OP?

There is this reported by LBC on the 17th Feb as part of an article Maybe the document was pulled because of the conflicting areas of responsibility

"""An NHS spokesman said: "While this is a Government and NIHR report, the NHS is committed to improving access, experience and outcomes for LGBT+ communities and this guide seeks to support healthcare professionals with doing that."

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesman said: "This guide has not been endorsed by the Government."

There is this reported by LBC on the 17th Feb as part of an article Maybe the document was pulled because of the conflicting areas of responsibility

"""An NHS spokesman said: "While this is a Government and NIHR report, the NHS is committed to improving access, experience and outcomes for LGBT+ communities and this guide seeks to support healthcare professionals with doing that."

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesman said: "This guide has not been endorsed by the Government."

It even says at the end of the brochure:

'The views expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the NIHR or the Department of Health and Social Care'

Has anyone else had more luck than me in finding the actual NHS document which Sammy refers to in the OP?

Actually....yes!

www.kcl.ac.uk/nmpc/assets/research/projects/abc-lg...f

Actually....yes!

And that's what all the fuss was about????

Not an official NHS publication although it was funded by an outfit with a .ac (ie academic) which is dedicated to the NHS. The author of the second foreword is the person at whom fingers were being pointed. He holds a senior position in the NHS but it's NOT his document either.

A fuss about nothing at all.

And an illustration of why, if folks are going to post about stuff that's out there in the media it's really helpful to have a link to either the story as reported or (and better) what we're actually being asked to discuss.

Actually....yes!

And that's what all the fuss was about????

Not an official NHS publication although it was funded by an outfit with a .ac (ie academic) which is dedicated to the NHS. The author of the second foreword is the person at whom fingers were being pointed. He holds a senior position in the NHS but it's NOT his document either.

A fuss about nothing at all.

And an illustration of why, if folks are going to post about stuff that's out there in the media it's really helpful to have a link to either the story as reported or (and better) what we're actually being asked to discuss.

It has taken you 6 whole days and some 60 odd posts to a simple matter picked up in the media and posted widely throughout..

What do you mean and that's what all the fuss was about. You do not have to set yourself up as to what comes on here. Do you want members to send every thing through you first.

As far as the publication and all the nonsense there in a person presenting to the NHS is either male or female no ifs or buts

I am fed up of all these minority groups and their look at me I am different from the rest of you so take notice and treat me special

As far as the publication and all the nonsense there in a person presenting to the NHS is either male or female no ifs or buts

I am fed up of all these minority groups and their look at me I am different from the rest of you so take notice and treat me special

Well, at least we go to the crux of the matter in the end. Much as you may wish to deny people their identity because you think they should conform to the majority's way, not everyone (including some in the majority) agrees with you.

Gender policy in the NHS - _

Moving too far off topic.

ORB