All - Dirty Backsides - sammy1

Has anyone else noticed how dirty cars have become lately? I know that it is winter and there is a lot of road filth due to salting. Around where I live it has hardly rained for two weeks or more and the need for salt has been negligible. Of more concern perhaps is the fact that you can hardly see a rear number plate on some cars let alone read it. Perhaps a dirty car is becoming a badge of honour or more so the speed cameras cannot read the plate. The chances of being pulled by plod is very low>

All - Dirty Backsides - madf

I am more concerned about the i****s running on DRLs only at night.

No rear lights at all.

All - Dirty Backsides - Sofa Spud

No rear lights at all.

On my car the dipped headlamps come on whenever the engine is running and so do the rear lights. Surely that's how DRLs should operate on all vehicles.

All - Dirty Backsides - badbusdriver

No rear lights at all.

On my car the dipped headlamps come on whenever the engine is running and so do the rear lights. Surely that's how DRLs should operate on all vehicles.

Not all cars have front and rear DRL's, some just have front only. No which cars only have front ones or how many, but presumably cheaper cars are the ones more likely to have front only.

Our 2020 Suzuki Ignis only has them on the front.

All - Dirty Backsides - Lee Power

IIRC newer Peugeot products have there rear tail lights linked in to the DRL.

Some owners of earlier vehicles on the Peugeot forum liked the idea & found it was a simple configuration tweak to activate the feature via DiagBox in the BSI configuration set up.

All - Dirty Backsides - FP

Yes, I've noticed it. Probably most people have noticed it. My own car is pretty filthy. Lots of other cars are filthy.

It's winter. It happens every year - dirty cars.

Apart from dirty lights and illegible number plates, which are illegal, is it important?

Yes, I've noticed it. Probably most people have noticed it. My own car is pretty filthy. Lots of other cars are filthy.

It's winter. It happens every year - dirty cars.

Apart from dirty lights and illegible number plates, which are illegal, is it important?

NO it is not important. Things I put on this forum are just for conversation nothing else

All - Dirty Backsides - Ethan Edwards

Having obscured by dirt , lights is a safety issue. Obscured by dirt, plates is our usual 'Fousand Pahn'd Fine'. So if a travelling plod was actually doing his job it could get expensive. But as we all know that's unlikely as one they are a bit thin on the ground and two it would involve paperwork.

All - Dirty Backsides - Andrew-T

<< NO it is not important. Things I put on this forum are just for conversation nothing else. >>

Yes, I was beginning to get that impression. I didn't see this forum as another social medium, but I suppose it could become one ?

All - Dirty Backsides - _

If it is just social medium for conversation, it can go to General discussion then !

All - Dirty Backsides - Engineer Andy

If it is just social medium for conversation, it can go to General discussion then !

I'm just glad this topic WAS about cars that haven't been washed on late rather than some nasty fetish that can be left in the darkweb.

PS. An official welcome back, ORB?

Edited by Engineer Andy on 24/02/2023 at 18:17

A bit grumpy on your come back the post is clearly about motoring so with respect the WRONG category You have got my comment out of context to a rather flippant reply from another member "" as to whether my post was important"" ALL my posts whatever are for conversation and discussion for those who want to reply in a respectful manner.

All - Dirty Backsides - alan1302

Too cold out to bother with washing at the moment - although did go to the local hand car wash a week or two ago...back to looking filthy though now. I do always make sure the number plates are clear though.

As a moderator I don't think you should be agreeing what might be"" social media "" with another member on the forum. Sounds a bit snobby to me.

I have been on the forum some 8 years now and nearly every thread drifts into some form of social media as you put it. Please do the right thing and put this thread back in motoring where it was rightly put

All - Dirty Backsides - paul 1963

......Anyway, I do agree Sammy, there are a lot of dirty cars about at the moment, just that time of year, my work van is filthy, it only gets a wash once a fortnight although I do keep the lights etc clean in-between washes, my car however is currently gleaming bar a little sandy deposit on the horizontal panels, it only gets used at weekends and is washed every week.

All - Dirty Backsides - Adampr

I bought a new Mini in 2001. I used to just wait for the next recall to get it cleaned.

The advent of reversing cameras has been very helpful in reminding me to keep my number plates clean this winter. When I can no long reverse without (horror!) using the mirrors I remember to give them a wipe. The paintwork is filthy but I spend a lot of time up and down the M5 and any cleaning only lasts a day.

All - Dirty Backsides - Andrew-T

<< I have been on the forum some 8 years now and nearly every thread drifts into some form of social media as you put it. Please do the right thing and put this thread back in motoring where it was rightly put. >>

Sammy, if you have strong ideas about the way mods should operate, why not volunteer to join them ?

Well at least I know what a car looks like. Where I live we had a shower of what looks like Sahara sand so those who washed there cars were wasting their time! Phrases such as"" you have too much time on your hands"" are the stocking trade of social media. The truth is there are not enough hours in the day and my amaryllis is still not in flower!!

Fully expected this to be given the chop so I'll settle for it staying open

All - Dirty Backsides - Maxime.

Last week I was at the Leisure centre at the side of an A road and at the traffic lights both sides there were Police motorcyclists directing cars in for checks. One of them was a Corsa with the rear numberplate totally obscured and others for other reasons obviously. There were also a few leaving their cars and walking away towards the bus stop. So when Plod want a bit of overtime that's what happens round here.

The same around here. The police have purges 6 or more officers some pulling vans to a weighbridge and other doing vehicle inspections and document checks readily checking with their ANPR computer equipment,

All - Dirty Backsides - Bolt

Last week I was at the Leisure centre at the side of an A road and at the traffic lights both sides there were Police motorcyclists directing cars in for checks. One of them was a Corsa with the rear numberplate totally obscured and others for other reasons obviously. There were also a few leaving their cars and walking away towards the bus stop. So when Plod want a bit of overtime that's what happens round here.

Kent Police pull drivers off the A20 onto the A224 by Homebase for the same reason, often go past with a few cars pulled onto main road (several bus routes on that road) must be a full time job the amount of traffic on that A20/M20