NIP farms and false nomination - Robin Eveleigh

Hope someone can help with this. I'm a reporter working on a little investigation looking at 'NIP farms', where crooks help drivers evade motoring offences by providing false driver details. The fake info is filled in on the NIP form, a fictitious or innocent driver is nominated in place of the real offender. The fine and points (sometimes!) go away.

I wondered if anyone had ever been falsely nominated - ie, your driver details were given by the real offender without your knowledge? I've got a guy who's had this happen to him multiple times and I'm trying to work out if it's a bit of a trend.

Thanks in advance.

Robin

NIP farms and false nomination - Middleman

Whilst I’ve not been a victim myself, I’ve heard a few tales of people who say they have.

The problem is, it’s not very likely to work. A NIP, together with a “Request for Driver’s Details” goes to the Registered Keeper (RK). If he is “the person keeping the vehicle” he has a duty, under s172 of the RTA, to provide the driver’s details. If the request is met with a response providing either bogus details of a person who does not exist, or with details of a person unconnected with the alleged offence, the police will make enquiries, probably beginning back with the RK. If he persists with his deception and the police suspect he is trying to evade justice, one of two things will happen: if he is lucky, they will charge him with “Failing to provide driver’s details”. This carries six points, a hefty fine and an endorsement code which insurers hate. If he is less fortunate they will charge him with “Attempting to Pervert the Course of Justice.” This is a serious offence, triable only in the Crown Court and which carries a maximum sentence of Life Imprisonment. The “starting point” for an offence which involves attempting to avoid a trivial offence such as speeding is nine month’s custody. Here’s one example:

www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/11/chris-huhne-vic...e

And another:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/29/labour-mp-...t

Coincidentally (or maybe not) both involve MPs.

It crosses my mind, though, that there is no real need for a driver to have any assistance from crooks with this strategy. He can simply provide a false response to the request himself. The more puzzling question, however, is why anybody would want to risk almost certain jail time to avoid three points and a small fine.

Edited by Middleman on 28/02/2023 at 19:43

NIP farms and false nomination - Robin Eveleigh

Cheers for the reply.

I think, unfortunately due to time and resources, it is working in some cases. My guy has been stung for 5 separate offences he didn't do. I'm only aware of one which is being actively investigated by the police, the rest as far as I know are case closed pending further into. Zero effort to trace and speak to the registered keepers.

Re the involvement of third-party criminals - it's kind of a scam, they offer to make the points go away, for a fee. And it does happen, eg:

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manch...1