Driving licence expired - gjhjj38

Is your driving licence expired if the date on the photocard is expired, or is it just the picture that needs renewing

Ive read if its expired by over 2 years you may need to retake your test does anyone know if thid is true

Edited by gjhjj38 on 11/03/2023 at 17:59

Driving licence expired - Middleman

No it isn't true. Your "entitlement to drive" normally lasts until you are 70 (but may be less if you have any relevant medical conditions). An expired photocard does not affect your entitlement to drive.

Driving licence expired - Crickleymal

But I've seen newspaper articles saying that if your photo is out of date you could be liable to a hefty fine?

Renewing a driving licence that has been expired for some time

If more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired, you may be made to retake your driving test in order to get a new licence. This is especially the case if your licence has expired due to age (driving licences need to be renewed when you reach seventy years of age) or for medical reasons. For these, you may also have to pass a medical. In other cases, you can simply apply for a new licence without problem, although the DVLA will often want to know why your licence has been expired for so long.

This is what i read that says you may have to retake test if over 2 years

Has anyone else been in this position

Driving licence expired - FiestaOwner

On the front of the photo card, you have the date the photo card expires.

On the rear you have the classes of vehicle you can drive and a "valid from" and "valid to" date. If you are under 70, then your "valid to" date is normally the day before your 70th birthday.

If your photo card has expired, and you are within your "valid from" and "valid to" dates, then take your photo card to a post office that deals with driving licences. They can take a fresh photo and send the application directly to DVLA without having to fill in any forms. If you do this, I would take a photo of both sides of your photo card 1st, as you won't get it back (they always keep it).

You can find an explanation and details of Post Offices which deal with Driving Licences (and take photos) here: www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/renew-driving-licence

Can recommend renewing with the Post Office, have renewed mine that way the last couple of times. In any case, you do need to sort this out now. I would go to the Post Office tomorrow.

Driving licence expired - SmithyBilly

Under UK law, your driving licence is only valid if it is current and up-to-date. If the date on your photocard has expired, then your driving licence has also expired, regardless of whether the photo needs renewing or not. You must renew your driving licence before the expiry date to ensure that it remains valid.