Renault Clio - Car Written Off - Not my fault - Alex Paynter
Hi, a few weeks back my car, which was parked up without anybody in it, was hit by a reckless driver. The driver left his details and we have gone through both insurances and he is claiming full blame.

We have no gap insurance and the car is on monthly finance payments.

We recently found out that the insurers have written the car off and the value is likely going to be less than the finance agreement.

Does this mean we are likely going to have to fork out a lump sum to pay the deficit even though it wasn’t our fault?
Renault Clio - Car Written Off - Not my fault - shauncwalsh

Find out what the difference is between the insurance company offer and the financial agreement and tell the other party and his insurance company that you will be using moneyclaim.gov.uk to recover the balance from the other party. While your'e at it find out how much your premiums will go up and claim for that too.

Renault Clio - Car Written Off - Not my fault - Falkirk Bairn

3rd Party & your insurer insurer will claim that their pay out is the car's value.

They will state the fact that you owe more than that to an HP company is your business not theirs.

They will say that Gap Insurance was the answer but you never took it out when you bought the car.

In the last 25 years every time I have bought a car I was offered GAP insurance and turned it down. The salesman would as what would you do if the car is written off - in year 1 a brand new car is often replaced by the insurer. I have bought dozens of cars in my 57 years of car buying.

I never take out insurance cover for anything other than the house, car, and life cover(in the past - too old for life insurance at 77)

GAP, tyre, dent, 3rd party warranty, mobile phone cover, household appliance, vet bills- to me they are a rip-off - better being careful saving the premiums!

If the car is 2nd hand car you have to pay out should the car be written off.

Alternative

Is the car badly damaged? It could be an idea to buy the damaged car from the insurer and get the car fixed at your expense with the pay out of the car's value less the scrap value.

Renault Clio - Car Written Off - Not my fault - bathtub tom
We recently found out that the insurers have written the car off and the value is likely going to be less than the finance agreement.

That's probably the 'first offer'. Go through the car adverts (Autotrader etc) to see what an equvalent car would cost and present that evidence to the insurer.