Mazda 3 - bus lane - johnmazda

Had my new car just a few days and I'm a new driver so only had my license just over a month now, so I am enjoying the freedom and driving itself. I went on a fairly long drive this morning and through a few areas I was not familiar with and unfortunately I'm pretty sure I may have driven through a bus lane, at least some part of it.

I really can't remember that well for how long and when exactly but I'm so annoyed. I realise this can be a common mistake, let alone for a new driver and at worst it's a hefty fine and nothing more but wanted to ask whether there was an exemption for first time offences? Reason I mention this was because this exact new policy was mentioned 2/3 years ago - www.thesun.co.uk/news/12648877/drivers-bus-lane-fi.../

And then the DfT released this in 2022 which I'm assuming still applies - www.gov.uk/government/publications/bus-lane-and-mo...n

Under "Warning Notices" it states the following - [i]To promote compliance by helping motorists understand the seriousness of moving traffic contraventions, for a period of 6 months following implementation of enforcement of moving traffic contraventions, at each particular camera location, local authorities outside London should issue warning notices for first-time moving traffic contraventions. This also applies to any new camera location in the future.

The warning notice should set out the 6 month period and advise that any further moving traffic contravention at the same camera location would result in the issue of a PCN. It is therefore strongly recommended that accurate records of enforcement commencement dates are maintained.

Warning notices should be issued in respect of new restrictions, for example at new junctions and new (or major changes to) road layouts, or existing restrictions, such as a long-established box junction, being civilly enforced by camera for the first time.

Although outside the scope of this statutory guidance, within London where moving traffic contraventions have been enforced for many years, local authorities are expected to issue warning notices for first time contraventions of the new cycle lane, cycle route and ‘buses prohibited’ contraventions (civilly enforceable in London for the first time) when they occur within 6 months from when enforcement commences in practice.[/i]

Anyone care to shed light on this? I guess I will have to wait around two weeks to find out either way.

Mazda 3 - bus lane - Adampr

Were you in London?

Mazda 3 - bus lane - johnmazda

Sorry, this is near Beckenham, so Greater London I guess.

Mazda 3 - bus lane - Adampr

Sorry, this is near Beckenham, so Greater London I guess.

If it's on a tfl road, you will get a fine. If it's a Kent road, you might not.

Mazda 3 - bus lane - FP

You ask this: "... wanted to ask whether there was an exemption for first time offences?"

If you're asking about being let off the first time you're caught, the answer I think, is no.

But later in your post the question seems to be about something else, which is whether warning notices and a grace period are in force after a new "implementation". That's a point I can't answer, as it seems to depend on a detailed knowledge of how local traffic restrictions are enacted and enforced. Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Mazda 3 - bus lane - Tester

I'd say, don't worry about it too much. It's a pain and can happen to anyone in a strange place (though, to be fair to the authorities, they do put up plenty of signs!) I realize that things are probably more expensive in London but I went in a bus lane in Nottingham last year and it cost me £30, paying within 2 weeks of getting the penalty notice. One goes 'Grrrr' and gets on with life.

Mazda 3 - bus lane - SmithyBilly

Alright mate, don't worry too much about it. As a new driver, it's easy to make mistakes like that. According to the new policy, local authorities should issue warning notices for first-time moving traffic contraventions for six months after enforcement begins at a specific camera location. So if it's your first time driving through that particular camera location, you might just get a warning notice instead of a fine. But yeah, you'll have to wait and see for sure. Also some authorities have exemptions for dropping off a passenger really quickly but depends on the borough as there is different rules.

Mazda 3 - bus lane - Middleman

The London boroughs (Beckenham is in the London Borough of Bromley) are in some disarray at present due to the non-compliance with the legislation which requires their cameras to be approved. After losing a number of tribunal appeals they are gradually getting their houses in order but there are still some gaps. This thread from Pepipoo provides some detail. It is very lengthy but if you read the last dozen or so posts it will give you a feel.

forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=145245