N/A - Electric Bikes - sammy1

I am posting this in motoring has I feel it will be relevant to all road users. A 17 year old male was killed riding an electric bike on a cycle path. The e-bike was said by the police to be travelling at some 26mph when it hit a telegraph pole. Police stated that the bike had been purchased second hand and was capable of travelling at 70mph and was rated at some 800 watts the legal output for an e-bike being some 250watts.

The fact that these e-bikes exist and may be illegal is of what consequence when more and more of these bikes are using the pavement and public highway and I personally have seen them being ridden in a totally irresponsible way usually by teenagers. E-bikes are another scourge for the law abiding motorist to be aware of I have not ridden an e-bike but I would imagine that they would require a bit more more skill than your typical push bike especially the throttle operated e-bikes capable of a constant speed of some 26mph with no peddling.

The article is on the BBC Wales site for those who may want to read the inquest report

N/A - Electric Bikes - Adampr

I do wonder what triggered this peculiar vendetta against electric bikes. The young man was riding something classified as a motorcycle. I don't know if he was wearing a helmet, but he was not allowed on a cycle path. It's exactly the same as if someone rode a moped down a cycle path and crashed. The fact that it has an electric motor is irrelevant.

N/A - Electric Bikes - Xileno

Here is the link www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65118614

It's an appalling tragedy. I notice the accident happened at 26 mph - a speed easily achievable on a push bike. I believe tighter regulation is needed on these bikes generally but the method of propulsion doesn't seem to be the cause here. A momentary lapse of concentration maybe.

N/A - Electric Bikes - nellyjak

I guess you simply ban thottle control bikes completely and make them only pedal assist (max speed 15mph)..though clever peeps will always get around that I suppose.

I think these bikes with really high output are illegal already aren't they and only supposed to be ridden on private land...but who checks.?

I've had my folding E-bike for around 6 years..pedal asist only..and no more issues than I would have had with a push bike.

N/A - Electric Bikes - bazza

Surely there is nothing wrong with the concept of e bikes! Yes there will always be some elements of illegal fettling going on to make them quicker but it's a small minority. Throttle e bikes are illegal to ride in UK. This tragedy could just as easily been on a normal bike, they can easily reach speeds of 30 to 40mph under the right conditions. As for riding on pavements, well yes , we have seen recently how dangerous it can be, but UK is far far behind Europe in terms of infrastructure for cycling, that's why people ride on pavements!

N/A - Electric Bikes - badbusdriver

I am posting this in motoring has I feel it will be relevant to all road users.

Even though it isn't?

Police stated that the bike had been purchased second hand and was capable of travelling at 70mph and was rated at some 800 watts the legal output for an e-bike being some 250watts.

An 800 watt motor couldn't propel an ebike to 70mph, 70kmh is about achievable though. Also, an ebike is only legally restricted to 250 watts if it is on public roads. On private land/roads you can have as much power as you want.

The fact that these e-bikes exist and may be illegal is of what consequence when more and more of these bikes are using the pavement and public highway and I personally have seen them being ridden in a totally irresponsible way usually by teenagers. E-bikes are another scourge for the law abiding motorist to be aware of

Typical double standards. You are quite happy for cars to be sold capable of well over twice the speed limit and way more power than anyone needs, but the equivalent ebikes are a "scourge". Same for irresponsible and reckless behaviour. Never see any posts from you about motorists doing this (unless driving an electric car, when of course they are fair game for your vitriol), despite in my own experience this is far more common from them than ebike riders. It is also the case that motorists behaving in this manner are going to cause a much bigger accident when their number finally comes up. And lets be quite clear, all bicycle riders, ebikes or otherwise, have way, way more to fear from inattentive motorists than the other way round.

I have not ridden an e-bike but I would imagine that they would require a bit more more skill than your typical push bike especially the throttle operated e-bikes capable of a constant speed of some 26mph with no peddling.

Yes, because we all know how much skill is required to ride a 50cc moped/scooter (30mph)!.

The fastest speed I managed before I got my ebike was 43mph. Fastest speed I've managed on my ebike is 35mph. Also, "illegal" ebikes (by that mean any ebike which you don't have to pedal to get electric power) may be fairly common, but ones capable of powering the rider to 26mph or more, are not. Because even from China, an ebike capable of that kind of speed, isn't that cheap.

Edited by badbusdriver on 30/03/2023 at 08:10

People will decide for themselves whether a thread is relevant/of interest/importance etc. and dip in and out as they wish. I think it's interesting (if tragic) but more non-motoring than motoring so it will get pushed over the fence in a bit.

Also haven't we done e-bikes to infinity?

People will decide for themselves whether a thread is relevant/of interest/importance etc. and dip in and out as they wish. I think it's interesting (if tragic) but more non-motoring than motoring so it will get pushed over the fence in a bit.

Also haven't we done e-bikes to infinity?

E.bikes are on our roads and uninsured. They are a new and increasing aspect of our lives and sooner or later all motorists will have some encounter with an e-bike. In big cities bikes in general have increasingly become lawless ignoring traffic light and zebra crossings so I would think that this thread would be of interest to most motorists.

I do wonder what triggered this peculiar vendetta against electric bikes. The young man was riding something classified as a motorcycle. I don't know if he was wearing a helmet, but he was not allowed on a cycle path. It's exactly the same as if someone rode a moped down a cycle path and crashed. The fact that it has an electric motor is irrelevant.

You fail to see the bigger picture in that these powerful e-bikes are in the country and being driven on pavements and public roads. They are unregulated as to what is being imported and sold. In this instance the police could only estimate the speed of impact that the unfortunate lad was doing and they are nothing like a motorbike particularly as their stopping power.

As to the your use of the word vendetta all I have done is report what in the public domain and my experience of meeting e-bikes as a pedestrian. You may feel safe in your car should you encounter one of these bikes but children and pedestrians are increasingly at risk from these e.bikes

N/A - Electric Bikes - Terry W

E bikes and scooters are a fundamentally good idea for urban travel - cheap, non-polluting, small (parking and road space needs) etc.

There are laws which regulate e-bikes. Beyond a certain point (power and speed) they become "motorbikes" and subject to helmets, number plates, insurance, MoT etc etc.

The real problem is that laws are not (or barely) enforced allowing the foolish, inconsiderate or deliberately unpleasant the freedom to be antisocial.

Banning e-bikes and scooters is not the solution.

E.bikes are on our roads and uninsured.

As are normal bicycles and a great many cars.

They are a new and increasing aspect of our lives

Indeed so, since the late 1800's.........

sooner or later all motorists will have some encounter with an e-bike.

Fairly sure most will have already, as did I when out for a cycle this morning, not sure what your point here is?

In big cities bikes in general have increasingly become lawless ignoring traffic light and zebra crossings

Ah, so not just ebikes you have a chip on your shoulder about, but all bikes. And as usual completely ignoring the motorists who are also guilty of running red lights and not stopping at pedestrian crossings.

so I would think that this thread would be of interest to most motorists.

This thread was about a young man on a public footpath who lost his life in a tragic accident. One which occurred at a speed which anybody of a reasonable level of fitness could achieve on a bicycle which was not electrically assisted or powered.

You fail to see the bigger picture in that these powerful e-bikes are in the country and being driven on pavements and public roads.

No Sammy, it is you who is not seeing the bigger picture. You choose to only see the very small percentage of riders who behave irresponsibly and or dangerously. If you were capable of seeing the bigger picture, you would be aware that by far the biggest majority of cyclists behave responsibly.

They are unregulated as to what is being imported and sold.

As I have already said, powerful ebikes which are not legal in this country, are not that cheap, so they are never going to become that big a problem. Also, they are regulated in so far as what is available to buy in the UK. Obviously these regulations are not 100% successful, but if you were to go into every bike shop in the UK I'd bet only a tiny fraction of them would sell you an ebike which was not EU/UK approved. You certainly can't buy one from any of the bigger outfits (Halfords, Evans Cycles, Edinburgh Bikes, Decathlon, Wiggle, Chain Reaction etc, etc) who sell ebikes in the UK.

In this instance the police could only estimate the speed of impact that the unfortunate lad was doing and they are nothing like a motorbike particularly as their stopping power.

My ebike (not remotely 'sporty') has hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. So perhaps with your knowledge and experience of both ebikes and motorbikes, you can explain how my stopping power would be inferior to that of a motorbike?

As to the your use of the word vendetta all I have done is report what in the public domain and my experience of meeting e-bikes as a pedestrian.

The use of the word vendetta is entirely justified this case as you have clearly decided all cyclists, particularly those (like myself) on ebikes, are lawless and irresponsible. And while I have not looked into what was written in the press about the incident, I'd be surprised if any described ebikes as a "scourge".

E.bikes are on our roads and uninsured.

As are normal bicycles and a great many cars.

They are a new and increasing aspect of our lives

Indeed so, since the late 1800's.........

sooner or later all motorists will have some encounter with an e-bike.

Fairly sure most will have already, as did I when out for a cycle this morning, not sure what your point here is?

In big cities bikes in general have increasingly become lawless ignoring traffic light and zebra crossings

Ah, so not just ebikes you have a chip on your shoulder about, but all bikes. And as usual completely ignoring the motorists who are also guilty of running red lights and not stopping at pedestrian crossings.

so I would think that this thread would be of interest to most motorists.

This thread was about a young man on a public footpath who lost his life in a tragic accident. One which occurred at a speed which anybody of a reasonable level of fitness could achieve on a bicycle which was not electrically assisted or powered.

You fail to see the bigger picture in that these powerful e-bikes are in the country and being driven on pavements and public roads.

No Sammy, it is you who is not seeing the bigger picture. You choose to only see the very small percentage of riders who behave irresponsibly and or dangerously. If you were capable of seeing the bigger picture, you would be aware that by far the biggest majority of cyclists behave responsibly.

They are unregulated as to what is being imported and sold.

As I have already said, powerful ebikes which are not legal in this country, are not that cheap, so they are never going to become that big a problem. Also, they are regulated in so far as what is available to buy in the UK. Obviously these regulations are not 100% successful, but if you were to go into every bike shop in the UK I'd bet only a tiny fraction of them would sell you an ebike which was not EU/UK approved. You certainly can't buy one from any of the bigger outfits (Halfords, Evans Cycles, Edinburgh Bikes, Decathlon, Wiggle, Chain Reaction etc, etc) who sell ebikes in the UK.

In this instance the police could only estimate the speed of impact that the unfortunate lad was doing and they are nothing like a motorbike particularly as their stopping power.

My ebike (not remotely 'sporty') has hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. So perhaps with your knowledge and experience of both ebikes and motorbikes, you can explain how my stopping power would be inferior to that of a motorbike?

As to the your use of the word vendetta all I have done is report what in the public domain and my experience of meeting e-bikes as a pedestrian.

The use of the word vendetta is entirely justified this case as you have clearly decided all cyclists, particularly those (like myself) on ebikes, are lawless and irresponsible. And while I have not looked into what was written in the press about the incident, I'd be surprised if any described ebikes as a "scourge".

I think the word I would use to describe this reply and your previous reply would be ""bombastic"" It is a shame that others cannot have a reasonably different point of view without being insulted.

I think the word I would use to describe this reply and your previous reply would be ""bombastic"" It is a shame that others cannot have a reasonably different point of view without being insulted.

If there are any points I have made which you believe are factually incorrect, feel free to point them out.

And on reflection, I think I'd sooner be described as bombastic than a scourge (or lazy and/or obese for that matter)

You fail to see the bigger picture in that these powerful e-bikes are in the country and being driven on pavements and public roads. They are unregulated as to what is being imported and sold. In this instance the police could only estimate the speed of impact that the unfortunate lad was doing and they are nothing like a motorbike particularly as their stopping power.

As to the your use of the word vendetta all I have done is report what in the public domain and my experience of meeting e-bikes as a pedestrian. You may feel safe in your car should you encounter one of these bikes but children and pedestrians are increasingly at risk from these e.bikes

I don't think I'm failing to see anything; how much more illegal do you think they should be?

N/A - Electric Bikes - Engineer Andy

The problem is that e-bikes can go nearly as fast as scooters and mopeds, but unlike them, most users ride them on the pavement and far faster than walking pace, plus many (most are younger people, especially tennagers / young blokes) treat them like skateboard and ride recklessly a good deal of the time, including not stopping when crossing roads (to look first), weaving in-between pedestrians, playing chicked with oncoming pedestrians, etc, etc.

That NO user I've seen wears a helmet either adds to teh danger, especially to the very young, elderly and disabled who are far more vulnerable to their shennanigans.

If a poed rider were to do the same, they'd be hauled in front of a judge / magistrate in short order. Why aren't e-scooter / bike riders? The ONLY people allowed to ride a cycle on the pavement where not a shared area are little kids with stabiliser wheels on them. Even then, cyclists (and presumably e-scooter riders and skateboarders) must always take sufficient care to avoid accidents with pedestrians, etc, and that includes not going really fast and also following the highway code/laws.

The thread is beginning to get a bit heated. Can we keep the discussion calm and no sniping please.

Thank you

Mod

N/A - Electric Bikes - Crickleymal

That NO user I've seen wears a helmet either adds to teh danger, especially to the very young, elderly and disabled who are far more vulnerable to their shennanigans.

How does wearing a helmet on a bike (e or otherwise) help the young, elderly and disabled?

How does wearing a helmet on a bike (e or otherwise) help the young, elderly and disabled?

What I mean is that many of them go very quickly and thus they are being reckless. If they realised how dangerous their actions could be, they might slow down and like cyclists are now highly encouraged to do, wear a helmet.

Given the choice of swerving into the road and oncoming traffic to avoid a pedestrian because you're going too fast and hitting said person, what would the reckless person do? I'd say they'd go for the latter.

If you encourage responsible riding, it makes everyone's chances of getting involved and being hurt in accidents that much less.

The problem is that e-bikes can go nearly as fast as scooters and mopeds, but unlike them, most users ride them on the pavement and far faster than walking pace, plus many (most are younger people, especially tennagers / young blokes) treat them like skateboard and ride recklessly a good deal of the time, including not stopping when crossing roads (to look first), weaving in-between pedestrians, playing chicked with oncoming pedestrians, etc, etc.

If a poed rider were to do the same, they'd be hauled in front of a judge / magistrate in short order. Why aren't e-scooter / bike riders? The ONLY people allowed to ride a cycle on the pavement where not a shared area are little kids with stabiliser wheels on them. Even then, cyclists (and presumably e-scooter riders and skateboarders) must always take sufficient care to avoid accidents with pedestrians, etc, and that includes not going really fast and also following the highway code/laws.

There is, though, a massive difference between an electrically assisted bicycle and an electric powered motorcycle. This unfortunate lad was riding the latter. It shouldn't have been ridden, even on the street, without registration, insurance etc. So there's no point wanting them banned, they're already illegal.

This debate needs to be kept in proportion.

In the 5 years between 2016 and 2021, 15 pedestrians were killed in a collision with a bike - about the same number as killed by lightning strikes.

Total pedestrians killed by other vehicles in the same period totalled 2551 - bikes account for 1 pedestrian road fatality out of 170.

Bikes are absolutely not a problem. Although I don't agree, there is a far stronger case for banning cars, HGVs etc, or possibly living in a faraday cage to avoid the risk of 300m volts.

There is, though, a massive difference between an electrically assisted bicycle and an electric powered motorcycle. This unfortunate lad was riding the latter. It shouldn't have been ridden, even on the street, without registration, insurance etc. So there's no point wanting them banned, they're already illegal.

The BBC link provided above simply states it to be a Chinese copy of a Stealth Bomber electric bike. Stealth Bikes make 6 models, only one of which does not have pedals. They even do a EU/UK compliant 250W 25kmh model.

Incidentally, the most powerful and fastest of the Stealth range uses a 1500W motor and can reach 80kmh (just under 50mph).

It also says "He went on to say that to be classified as bicycle, electric bikes should have a maximum output of 250 watts with anything above that classed as a motorcycle."

There is a bit more info on Walesonline. The police retrieved data from the deceased phone which said he was travelling at an average 26 mph before the crash and there was no indication of tyre marks to suggest a skid or any other factor with the tyres. A forensic vehicle inspector examined the bike and described the brakes as under engineered for the bikes performance and more akin to a normal mountain bike. The faulty rear brake apparently did not contribute to the crash.

My conclusions on the very term " e-bike " is confusing to many as what constitutes a road legal bike, peddles and 250watts,an EAPC and the more powerful bikes that require insurance/helmet. They are all called " e bikes" and marketed as such and there seems to be no checks on the performance and stopping power as would be required of the motorised moped, scooter or motorbike. In fact are ebikes over 250watts even subject to an MOT?

No. Because it is not legal to ride one on any public property.

My conclusions on the very term " e-bike " is confusing to many as what constitutes a road legal bike, peddles and 250watts,an EAPC and the more powerful bikes that require insurance/helmet.

What I have, and indeed the majority of 'ebikes' in the UK, should really be referred to as a 'pedelec'. This is where there is no electrical assistance unless the rider is pedalling, in the UK and EU this also means a motor of no more than 250 watts and no assistance beyond 25kmh. Anything else is either not legal (unless on private property) and/or classed as a motorcycle.

But as the Police are hopelessly overstretched and under resourced, I doubt they would do much if they saw someone on an ebike they suspected was not UK approved, unless it was being ridden in a reckless manner.

My conclusions on the very term " e-bike " is confusing to many as what constitutes a road legal bike, peddles and 250watts,an EAPC and the more powerful bikes that require insurance/helmet.

What I have, and indeed the majority of 'ebikes' in the UK, should really be referred to as a 'pedelec'. This is where there is no electrical assistance unless the rider is pedalling, in the UK and EU this also means a motor of no more than 250 watts and no assistance beyond 25kmh. Anything else is either not legal (unless on private property) and/or classed as a motorcycle.

But as the Police are hopelessly overstretched and under resourced, I doubt they would do much if they saw someone on an ebike they suspected was not UK approved, unless it was being ridden in a reckless manner.

I'd say that bar for 'recklessness' is quite high - I saw someone on an e-soooter going at around that 15mph 'limit' barreling down a pedseterian-only pathway and straight across a side road junction without stopping (they would only be able to see if anything was coming within a metre or two of the crossing point due to a high fence), just as a local Plodmobile passed them down the main road.

Plod kept going. They must've seen them, given it was only mid morning and not much traffic about and it was reasonably decent visibility at the time.

Not really a surprise, as I've seen them take no action whilst the car in front breaks the speed limit past one of those non-camera 'speed indicator' matrix signs (smiley face etc), often because Plod is also breaking the limit but obviously not on a call.

I would guess if there is serious injury or death arising from misuse of an electric bike (any bike!) that real efforts are put into identifying who was responsible.

Realistically, police resources are limited - they need to prioritise. Push e-bikes up the list and something else suffers - responding to domestic violence, drug dealing, road accidents, assaults etc.

They already do so little on shoplifting, domestic burglary, cars with no insurance/MoT/tax etc there is little resource from possibly lower priorities available to redeploy.

Bluntly - legislation can create a framework to guide actions and behaviours, but it becomes no more than well intentioned advice if there is no intent to enforce it.

I would guess if there is serious injury or death arising from misuse of an electric bike (any bike!) that real efforts are put into identifying who was responsible.

Realistically, police resources are limited - they need to prioritise. Push e-bikes up the list and something else suffers - responding to domestic violence, drug dealing, road accidents, assaults etc.

Given the lack of police activity on those fronts, that isn't going to have much of an impact. Perhaps misgendering, wrapping police cars in rainbows/standing around all day doing nothing and 'mean tweets' should be dropped from their list of 'priorities'.

I would note that in the circumstance I relayed, the police had the opportunity to stop and speak to the individual (they weren't on a call), and chose not to.

They already do so little on shoplifting, domestic burglary, cars with no insurance/MoT/tax etc there is little resource from possibly lower priorities available to redeploy.

Bluntly - legislation can create a framework to guide actions and behaviours, but it becomes no more than well intentioned advice if there is no intent to enforce it.

See above - lots of 'opportunity' (including ridding police forces of 'diversity and inclusion' staff / budgets or the i****ic, endless form-filling) to spend time on actual crime-fighting and especially at the lower levels to deter those who often go on to commit more serious crimes later on 'because they think they can get away with it'.

Things will be OK Rishi is on the case. graffiti posters are shaking in their boots at the thought of being seen in orange overalls and matching marigold gloves dangling over some railway line cleaning of their tags

N/A - Electric Bikes - _

Keep off the politics.

Final warning Mod.

N/A - Electric Bikes - Andrew-T

Keep off the politics. Final warning Mod.

This is General (non-motoring) - is 'politics' a banned topic ? and where does a topic become political, in the view of the Mods ?

N/A - Electric Bikes - _

Politics are being added into a thread about e bikes.

The General Forum attracts the most complaints to the mods about other OP's comments, so let us please keep to the topic.

ORB.

N/A - Electric Bikes - skidpan

There is a local lad who rides his electric bike (looks like a 125 motorbike) at stupid speeds with no helmet, but he does wear a face mask (presumably to hide his identity). He rides on roads, pavements, in the park, in truth everywhere. Its pretty inevitable that he will eventually run out of luck and hopefully when he does the only injuries are to him.

Yesterday whilst walking in our local park an electric scooter (the type where you sit on a seat stuck to the top of a pole) was struggling to get up a pretty minor slope. As it got closer it was clear why, the rider was an adult and stood on the bottom plate was an approx 6 year old kid, probably a bit overloaded. Neither had helmets but once on the flat they shot off at stupid speed.

A couple of years ago there was a fatality locally when the rider of a quad dropped his female passenger off the back at speed killing her. He got a pretty severe custodial sentence.

Hopefully anyone causing injury riding an e-bike will get the same.

N/A - Electric Bikes - Bromptonaut

See above - lots of 'opportunity' (including ridding police forces of 'diversity and inclusion' staff / budgets or the i****ic, endless form-filling) to spend time on actual crime-fighting and especially at the lower levels to deter those who often go on to commit more serious crimes later on 'because they think they can get away with it'.

To be honest we don't know why the police mentioned above did nothing. Not all calls need blues and twos, even if there's an element of urgency. They may have been on the way to something more important than a yoof on a scooter on the footway.

Given the state of the main Police Service in London as reported by Louise Casey and the likelihood that many other forces are similarly infected we need every penny spent on diversity and inclusion. And more as well.

As to the thrust of the thread I genuinely do not understand what the problem is, as related solely to Electric Bikes, that is troubling the OP. I get that there are things on the footway that should not be but plenty of them are pedal bikes, with or without legitimate pedelec assistance, or hire scooters.

The law is reasonably clear, if it's more than 250watts can be propelled other than when pedalling then it's a motorbike. It needs insurance, VRN/Tax etc. But as it's not type approved then it's still not legal on the road.

I know a few people who built their own e-assist for Bromptons and it may be that things on the road before a certain date have grandfather rights. But they're men my age not hoodlums.

The lad who died was riding at around 25mph. I can do that on a Brompton. A younger and fitter rider on a sports bike could do quite a bit more. At that speed, colliding with a tree or a wooden post I'm not convinced a cycle helmet would have saved his life. So far as I can tell we don't know if it was an electric bike of poor quality design, a piece of 'home brew' kit based on an off the shelf MTB or a bit of both.

The answer to enforcing illegal use of footways in town is to hand enforcement to the Council's wardens.

""""The answer to enforcing illegal use of footways in town is to hand enforcement to the Council's wardens."""

This is the rub as far as pedestrians are concerned and why I am concerned about the mixing of bikes and pedestrians. There is NO enforcement and the only time the situation is highlighted is when an avoidable accident happens. I live within 200yards of Sustrans route 47. This path is wide and tarmaced in some places but no signs or warning that it is a shared path not that that makes any difference. Route 47 where I walk follows the local canal and is used by a lot more pedestrians than cyclists as it passes through a built up area. Families walk this canal often feeding the wildlife as do many old people and it is a pleasant place to be most of the time What spoils it some of the time is the reckless speed and attitude of some of the cyclists and the council sorry politics again are unconcerned generally. Racing cyclists and mountain bikes some electric often ride 2 or 3 abreast and guess who has get out of the way and yes e-bikes are worse unless you here the motor whining. Some do slow down obviously but the modern trend of perhaps being selfish means that others don't and there are often young children and dogs running about. Things are far worse when cyclist approach from the rear no bell warning and abuse from some to get out of the way Only the other day a 20 something lad on a bike punched a 60 year old lady with a dog in the face and there have been accidents. The council I am sure has the idea in its head of the little family tootling along at a little more than walking pace the reality is more like 10mph or a lot more and if there were to be an accident who comes off worse.

This is my take on mixing bikes with pedestrians and the reality and some may think I am being over cautious but why should innocent pedestrians be put in any danger which is what is happening all over the country

N/A - Electric Bikes - _

I am obliged to say Sammy, that your take on the situation of mixing pedestrians and other propelled bikes/scooters is correct.

Wife, self and dog walking along a footpath down by the River Colne by the leisure centre, allegedly where the e scooters should not be on the footpath, a sudden shout from behind, and e-scooter and rider tumbled off the path as the ground dipped at the side.

Scratched and Cursing etc and rode off. But took the number and emailed scooter hirer. Result, " we will not tell you if we take any action".

There were also families with young children and dogs.

A lot of it comes from the change in policing over the years. We have low levels of serious crime in this country and the more sophisticated approach to policing has contributed to that. However, the diversion of funding has meant that minor crimes and nuisances now go unchecked because of a lack of 'bobbies on the beat'. We could have them back, but the budget would need to be much higher, which would mean more tax or less spending somewhere else.

Equally, there's this:. thevictoriancyclist.wordpress.com/2015/04/26/cycli.../

Part of the lack of enforcement for minor offences may be a reduction in police budgets and numbers. But I suspect this may only be part of the problem. Realistically how much effort are the police motivated to put in for minor offences :

• which absorb a disproportionate amount of paperwork and time
  • result in a trivial fine which does little of nothing to change offender behaviour
  • may waste more time if the charge is denied
  • and further clog up the courts which already have a huge backlog

For motoring offences data is held with insurance, RFL, licence details. Automated systems could readily detect offenders - cameras, number plate recognition etc. Yet it is estimated ~1m drivers are uninsured.

Perhaps the solution - if we are seriously concerned, is to implement the sort of systems the Chinese use - facial recognition with automated fines and other disincentives.

Personally I would be more concerned about the abuse of civil and personal rights, and if several £bn were available to spend there are far better uses than e-bike policing.

Twas ever thus. Back in the heady days of the 1970s I don't recall anyone being stopped for cycling on the pavement and we did do it as kids.

There have been 3 fatal car crashes in Gloucestershire this year (possibly 4, it's hard to Google exactly) and no fatal bike/e-scooter Vs pedestrian accidents in the last 2 or 3 years since rental scooters were introduced. Where would you put the resources?

There have been 3 fatal car crashes in Gloucestershire this year (possibly 4, it's hard to Google exactly) and no fatal bike/e-scooter Vs pedestrian accidents in the last 2 or 3 years since rental scooters were introduced. Where would you put the resources?

These are small-number statistics, which need to be pro-rata'd to the vehicle populations. There must be many times more cars than e-bikes in Glos, and probably travelling faster too ?

These are small-number statistics, which need to be pro-rata'd to the vehicle populations. There must be many times more cars than e-bikes in Glos, and probably travelling faster too ?

Oh yes, I'm sure you are right but then if the number of e-bikes are vanishingly small compared with cars the problem of policing them becomes not worth doing.

<< ... if the number of e-bikes are vanishingly small compared with cars the problem of policing them becomes not worth doing. >>

Perhaps many plod are in cars too, which may not be the best way to apprehend e-bike offenders. Need more 'bobbies on foot'.