Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - focussed
The company officially plans to cease all production of gas (petrol) models by the end of September 2023, selling off its remaining inventory through 2024.

www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/honda-to-stop-manufac...8

This ties up with Honda UK offering discounts on their lawn and garden range in the UK, they are not noted for discounting!

www.honda.co.uk/lawn-and-garden.html

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - UCB
I replaced my 20 year old petrol lawnmower with an electric cordless Ryobi mower 5 years ago. Pros: mower is lightweight and one charge easily lasts so I can cut all my grass. No running out of petrol mid cut! Noise is low. Battery can be used to power other Ryobi products. Cons: you have to remember to charge the battery, can’t just decide to mow and go! It can’t cope with even slightly long or wet grass as the deck gets clogged up easily. On balance with hindsight I would have bought a small petrol mower again.
Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - sammy1

Electric domestic mowers are OK if you have a lawn the size of a postage stamp. It is ""no mow May"" and if you are helping the wildlife with all the rain my grass is already a foot high, I think I will need a combine harvester when it does get the chop! I see a well known carpet firm is selling the artificial grass carpet and authorities are worried about the planet. I wonder what AI would think about this?

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - Xileno

I wonder what the future looks like for chainsaws, will battery power be sufficient for the heavy trunks? OK for the branches maybe.

Likewise I follow "no mow May" although usually June is included as well. The grass is a foot high although around the house and garage is kept short. I usually see grass snakes, slow worms, toads and frogs, all sorts really that thrive in the longer grass. I keep some nettles (good for butterflies) dandelions are great for bees although they will take over so as soon as they've flowered I chop the heads off. Controlled wildness is the way here.

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - Adampr

I gave up mowing the lawn a couple of years ago and now have a 'robot' that merrily trundles around all night and keeps it under control.

I have a cordless electric too, but never use it. Apart from the lawn, erm, enthusiasts I think the days of pushing a mower around are coming to an end.

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - focussed
"I wonder what the future looks like for chainsaws, will battery power be sufficient for the heavy trunks? OK for the branches maybe."

Unlikely that battery saws will have enough power to pull the chain on a 48 or 60 inch bar for big trees, you need 5 to 8 hp for that.

Possibly climbing arborists could use battery saws with 12 to 15 inch chain bars for limbing and pruning top branches before felling a tree.

I've got three saws, a Makita/Dolmar petrol 3.3 hp with a 20 inch bar, a Dolmar petrol 1.2 hp with a 14 inch bar for pruning and and a mains electric Makita with a 14 inch bar for cutting up felled lengths for firewood on a trestle.

Given that pro forestry workers can be out in the woods for days away from mains power, I doubt they would prefer battery powered saws.

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - Terry W

Battery power will be entirely adequate for most (95%+) domestic needs - small tree, overgrown shrubs etc.

For regular arborists off the grid faced with large trees and/or a full days work a battery powered chain saw won't cut the mustard.

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - gordonbennet
Wish i'd spent the extra 1.5X cost at the time and bought a Honda petrol instead of the present Hayter recycling jobbie, not a patch on Hayters of old which my father used for smaller areas such as pathways, he used a huge Ransomes ride on towing a roller behind for the large lawns, the uniform lines in the lawns were a delight.

Not a massive grass area at our gaff but every fortnight one cut near enough fills the large green waste bin, did the deed today because tomorrow night the bins go out.
Going to keep the petrol mower till it pegs out.

Have a DeWalt extending rechargeable chain saw for tree pruning, does all i ask of it on one charge.
Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - corax

Honda products are good, but heavy. The engine on the Izy lawnmower is lovely to pull start, all it needs is a gentle tug, and it's reliable and smooth. But the rest of the mower design has fallen behind, despite the fact that they say they have made umpteen changes. I suppose they'll still be selling the engines to many other manufacturers who use them on their models.

I have a Stihl cordless chainsaw and it's very capable, but I wouldn't want to use it on big stuff, it was never designed to. They definitely have their place, arborists like the cordless top handle chainsaws for de-limbing as they're more convenient (no engine to stall and have to pull start when up a tree).

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - Engineer Andy

Honda products are good, but heavy. The engine on the Izy lawnmower is lovely to pull start, all it needs is a gentle tug, and it's reliable and smooth. But the rest of the mower design has fallen behind, despite the fact that they say they have made umpteen changes. I suppose they'll still be selling the engines to many other manufacturers who use them on their models.

Sounds a bit like comments about their range of cars since the early 2010s...

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - corax

I wonder what the future looks like for chainsaws, will battery power be sufficient for the heavy trunks? OK for the branches maybe.

Likewise I follow "no mow May" although usually June is included as well. The grass is a foot high although around the house and garage is kept short. I usually see grass snakes, slow worms, toads and frogs, all sorts really that thrive in the longer grass. I keep some nettles (good for butterflies) dandelions are great for bees although they will take over so as soon as they've flowered I chop the heads off. Controlled wildness is the way here.

Good for you Xileno

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - johncyprus

Wonderful products these Honda petrol lawnmowers. In 2005 my uncle showed me his ancient Honda lawnmower which spurred me on to buying a Honda Izzy lawnmower. Some 18 years on my Honda lawnmower is still going strong. I’m tempted to buy a new one at the discounted price in the offer, we’ll see.

Honda lawn and garden - No petrol powered Honda Lawn mowers after end 2023 - sammy1

My Briggs and Stratton engine push mower is still going strong after some 28 years. It has a hard life with a lot of lawn cut weekly and a rough area once a year.. All it has needed is regular oil changes the occasional new spark plug .and a good clean of its aluminium deck.

In contrast the local golf club has all kinds of cutters and other kit to keep grass at its best. These mowers are on the go all the time and their fuel bill and carbon must be high. I wonder if a battery solution for their machinery will come about eventually

My Briggs and Stratton engine push mower is still going strong after some 28 years. It has a hard life with a lot of lawn cut weekly and a rough area once a year.. All it has needed is regular oil changes the occasional new spark plug .and a good clean of its aluminium deck.

In contrast the local golf club has all kinds of cutters and other kit to keep grass at its best. These mowers are on the go all the time and their fuel bill and carbon must be high. I wonder if a battery solution for their machinery will come about eventually

Briggs engines didn't used to have a very good reputation - hence the nickname "Briggs and Scrappem". However, like you I have a 6.5 hp Briggs "professional" in our 24 inch GGP small ride-on mower, it's just starting it's fourteenth year of operation. All it's had is regular oil changes using decent branded oil one spark plug, one drive belt, and the fuel and air filter cleaned every year. Plus, when I had the bodywork plastic off three years ago to give it a good clean I took the opportunity to check the valve clearances expecting they would be loose as it works hard on a lot of grass. Unbelievably they were within spec. We also have a Honda basic mower, no grass box - side discharge used only for rough grass. Bought new, the first year it started to run rough and rattle, I checked the valve clearances and found they were wide open, nearly to the point of loosing the pushrods, the adjuster lock nuts were loose, never tightened from new. Set the valves to the spec and back to running properly. That's a USA manufactured mower and engine. .