BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - watto77
I am hoping to tap into the collective view of an issue with a recently purchased G21 3 Series (BMW-approved used, from a franchised main dealer. 3 years old with <20k miles).

I received what looks like an automated email from the dealer less than 6 weeks after driving the car off the forecourt advising me it was due work for two "safety critical" front tyres. Checking the car and I can see they are cracked between the tread and side wall (early signs of delamination?). On downloading a vehicle check from the RAC this was flagged as advisory "slightly damaged/cracking/perishing" on an MOT done in late Feb 23, but not flagged by the dealer in the MOT they did in early Apr prior to the sale.

Speaking to the dealer and they claim the automated email was a reminder to check the tyre wear (they have plenty left). But that it is ok because they checked it before the sale and the advisory is based on the opinion of the tester. They refused to acknowledge the cracking was an issue and stated that their tester passed them as safe. I sent them some photos, and they came back to say their service team had completed the standard approved-used checks before the sale and stuck to their line that the car was safe to drive.

Needless to say, I do not agree, and having spent not an inconsiderable amount of ££ on a reasonably new BMW I did not expect any issues so soon. The risk of a blowout is playing on my mind. I don't drive it like I stole it (very often ;-) ), but the roads here are twisty and the potholes are terrible.

Advice much appreciated. Is this even legal? I have the car booked in for a free safety check at Kwik-Fit, but I suspect BMW would not accept their opinion...

Thanks in advance.
BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - Bromptonaut

What is the car's age and mileage?

Are the tyres causing concern the originals?

Have you sought a second opinion?

What will like/like new tyres cost?

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - Andrew-T

What is the car's age and mileage?

Read top two lines of the OP ?

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - watto77
The car is 3 years old and was bought with 16k miles (now 17k). I am not sure if the tyres were the originals fitted when the car was new, but were manufactured in 2019. A second opinion (Kwik-Fit) would not say if they were safe or not but advised monitoring and replacing them sooner rather than later (but I suppose they would).

They are Bridgestone Turanza 005 BMW RFT, so like for like is c £500 for the pair.

Thanks.

Edited by watto77 on 20/05/2023 at 11:03

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - Palcouk

About 5k miles per year, very low and if parked o/s tyres would have suffered in the 'sun' resulting in degredation.

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - sammy1

MOT advisories can be more trouble than they are worth. Pass or fail is all that is required to make a car road legal. Low mileage mentioned might be due to the Covid. You say they are runflats so they are much stronger than your ordinary tyre. Your only redress is with the dealer. He can buy tyres at trade so if you are not happy try to negotiate something with them.

MOT advisories can be more trouble than they are worth. Pass or fail is all that is required to make a car road legal.

MoT advisories are advisory, and like any other advice can be ignored by the recipient. They can be interpreted as a suggestion that whatever is mentioned may need attention before the next test - which may itself depend on how the car is treated in the next 12 months.

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - FP

"... MOT advisories can be more trouble than they are worth. Pass or fail is all that is required to make a car road legal."

The two statements are not mutually exclusive. Considering that many owners/drivers neglect maintenance, especially those who are struggling financially, I'd say a warning about certain potentially troublesome issues is a good thing.

Making a car "road legal" is a bare minimum and car that passes one day could be illegal the next.

Making a car "road legal" is a bare minimum and car that passes one day could be illegal the next.

The 30-year-old Pug 205 I recently obtained passed its test just before Christmas after some diligent efforts, which included getting a new headlamp. About a month later the horn stopped working, so it was technically unroadworthy. However another month or two later I removed and replaced the adjacent fuse, which restored the horn to life. Still not sure how, but if it recurs I may know what to do ....

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - Xileno

You will get a range of views, from replace immediately to leave them for x thousand more miles. It is impossible to say without seeing the tyres and even then no-one can see the inside without removing the tyre. It comes down to how you feel, if you're going to spend the next couple of years worrying about it then get them replaced - peace of mind is priceless.

£500 for two tyres seems steep to me although I've never owned a BMW. Isn't there a cheaper but perfectly adequate alternative?

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - _

If the tyres are defective, when you get new tyres fitted ask for them to be sent off to the manufacturers tech dept, and phone them before, they will tell you which tyre place to go to, you may well get some goodwill/refund from them.

I certainly have in the past.

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - up north

Probably sent thinking you'd go to them and spend money on 2 replacement tyres. They would have charged top dollar for 2 Chinese chepos. Dealers are rarely your friend and especially after the sale. Get yourself a couple of Michelin or Goodyear and many tyre fitters will fit them for £15 each.

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - FiestaOwner
I am hoping to tap into the collective view of an issue with a recently purchased G21 3 Series (BMW-approved used, from a franchised main dealer. 3 years old with <20k miles).

I received what looks like an automated email from the dealer less than 6 weeks after driving the car off the forecourt advising me it was due work for two "safety critical" front tyres. Checking the car and I can see they are cracked between the tread and side wall (early signs of delamination?). On downloading a vehicle check from the RAC this was flagged as advisory "slightly damaged/cracking/perishing" on an MOT done in late Feb 23, but not flagged by the dealer in the MOT they did in early Apr prior to the sale.

Probably the dealer trying to scare you into spending some money with them, but that sort of behaviour from them really isn't acceptable.

You could try reporting the dealer to BMW asking why an approved used BMW was sold with defective tyres. Give BMW a copy of the email which shows the work required.

Not saying it will get you anywhere, but it might.

As others have said, the tyres may be ok,

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - Adampr

I'm a bit confused. Could you paste in the text of the email please?

BMW 3 Series G21 - Car Sold With Safety Critical Tyres - skidpan

Cannot see if the OP has said what brand the tyres were but here is my experience with our 118D.

Bought it new in March 2008 but in September 2012 I spotted that all 4 tyres had cracks on the side walls. They had only done about 20,000 miles since I fitted the winters from November through March every year and they still had about 5mm tread left. Dropped in at our local MOT place and he said that he would not have an issue with the tyres so temporarily forgot about it.

But shortly after I spotted that Michelin (the manufacturer) offered a 6 year warranty from the date on manufacture on the sidewall, checked ours and they were well within this. I spoke to Michelin who said that all I needed to do was either drop off the tyres at ATS who would return them for a technical inspection or buy a new set of tyres from ATS who would then send the old tyres back for a technical inspect. Since I was nearly at the time I would be putting the winters on I asked if I could take the Michelins on rims to ATS for them to remove and then send back, he said that if I did this they would remove tyres FOC.

So I dropped in at ATS shortly after and they were not best happy. The branch manager said Michelin were always doing this and it was costing him money. I waited until he had finished and then asked if they would do as Michelin had suggested and after some more moaning he got one of the fitters to remove the tyres. (Branch now closed - sells computer games etc).

About 4 weeks later got a letter saying the tyres were indeed faulty and they had valued the remaining tread at just under £200. Shortly after a cheque dropped through the door.

Very happy except for the fact the MOT guy said they were fine.

I ran it on the winters a few weeks longer than normal since I planned to PX the car the following June. Before visiting the dealer to sort a deal our friendly mobile tyre fitter up the street put me 4 decent matching used tyres on the rims for beer tokens (guess it saved him cost of disposal.

Extremely happy.