I Hit A Wing Mirror - twkdrive

I hit a driver's wing mirror (the driver was going up in the opposite direction) as I was going down a tight hill at around 30MPH and I regrettably didn't stop to wait if the driver would come looking for me to give details.

There was no damage to my wing mirror. Just a small mark and folded half way.

Based on my dashcam footage (rear), the driver's wing mirror was intact (not hanging, mirror not cracked). He was also driving very close to the white lines, almost touching them.

But I'm still worried because I didn't stop.

Does this count as an accident and fail to stop? And if the driver reports the police (assuming he had a dashcam, but looking at my own dashcam footage I didn't see one) what would the punishment be for my incident?

Edited by twkdrive on 05/06/2023 at 17:24

I Hit A Wing Mirror - movilogo

99% chance nothing will happen.

Last time it happened with my car the indicator lamp in mirror cracked and Kia won't sell me anything but full unit. So cost me £100 to replace the whole assembly. This is why I hate indicators in wing mirrors!

Nowadays in narrow roads I fold mirrors when see car coming from other direction.

I Hit A Wing Mirror - Bolt

99% chance nothing will happen.

I agree, more likely nothing at all. just have to swallow the cost, I`ve had 2 lamps replaced in mine over the last year as drivers push through gaps that are too small, luckily mine for the Civic are only £80 each but thats too often imo

where I travel I often see whole mirrors on the road so its not as though it doesn`t often happen as it does...

I Hit A Wing Mirror - gordonbennet
Always best to stop, even if it means turning round when safe and returning to the impact point especially if you have a dashcam running to prove you did this, the other party might be there they might not, if there's pertinent debris lying around i'd then be inclined to report it to cover myself.

There are some lanes i travel where i retract the mirrors for the whole length of the run, because cars have become too wide and people can't drive.
I Hit A Wing Mirror - bathtub tom

Depends on the circumstances. Last time I clashed DOOR (they're not on wings) mirrors, was when an oncoming was passing some parked cars on their side and I was tight into the kerb on mine. My mirror glass was smashed, without any further major damage. I was able to source new glass relatively cheaply. The other drive, who stopped, was happy to pay the minmal cost.

I Hit A Wing Mirror - Vroom78

Sounds like you will be fine mate, the police aren't going to be bothered with this type of thing, the amount of time my van mirror got damaged. By the sounds of it, it seems like you didn't do any damage anyway, so i will say you will be fine.