Recent carbon saving ideas - sammy1

B&Q chap wants us to stop digging our gardens as it releases tons of carbon locked up in the soil over centuries.

Result spade manufacturer goes into liquidation and farmers cannot give their ploughs away

The French want to ban local flights when their is a train alternative to save carbon.

Result airline goes broke, the trains become overcrowded and cannot cope, and the population find another excuse for a good old riot.

The Brazilian Gov, want to blow carbon presumably CO2 over their rain forest

Result There is a sudden change in wind direction and triffid like plants are invading the Rio suburbs.

Ok I am poking fun but has anyone else seen some bright ideas?

Recent carbon saving ideas - Bolt

B&Q chap wants us to stop digging our gardens as it releases tons of carbon locked up in the soil over centuries.

Result spade manufacturer goes into liquidation and farmers cannot give their ploughs away

The French want to ban local flights when their is a train alternative to save carbon.

Result airline goes broke, the trains become overcrowded and cannot cope, and the population find another excuse for a good old riot.

Result There is a sudden change in wind direction and triffid like plants are invading the Rio suburbs.

Hear rather a lot of these bright ideas but they soon dim into obscurity never to be heard of again, until a bright spark has a few too many and thinks there idea is new....lol

Recent carbon saving ideas - Engineer Andy

Hear rather a lot of these bright ideas but they soon dim into obscurity never to be heard of again, until a bright spark has a few too many and thinks there idea is new....lol

I'd say that the EU / WEF / UN 'idea' that we kill a good proportion of our gravzing animals we use for meat and milk / related products, have governments forcibly confiscate farms to 'reduce nitrogen pollution' (run-off) - and eat plants, lab gwon meat (which some say creates more CO2) and ze bugz is definitely a really dumb idea.

Currently being pursued by all mainstream political parties in Ireland and Holland, but with increasing pushback from the electorate as the consequences are known. As someone rightly pointed out, why slaughter loads of cows, forcing a huge amount of meat onto the local market, depressing prcies and driving more out of business, but also with the consueqnce of just moving the Co2 emissions from one part of the world to another, where another nation picks up the slack?

That land grab policy is apparently 'being considered' by many Western governments, including the USA.

As is the sudden changeover to organic farming in Sri Lanka that lead to chronic food shortages and the overthrow of the ruling government by popular revolt.

A former manager of mine (whom I have a lot of respect for) had his letter published in today's Telegraph showing the idiocy of the forecable mass rollout of heat pumps to the UK market.

Well, some good news at least (from what I;ve read today) - a vegan meal manufacturer has gone out of business because no-one wanted to buy vegan products - just no demand.

Recent carbon saving ideas - alan1302

Well, some good news at least (from what I;ve read today) - a vegan meal manufacturer has gone out of business because no-one wanted to buy vegan products - just no demand.

Why is it good? They were doing you no harm and employed people who now have no jobs.

Plenty of businesses go out of business when their is demand - Tuffnels couriers went into administation on Monday but there is plenty of need for deliveries.

Tuffnels which has made 75 employees near me redundant has gone out of business because it was loaded with too much debt for the size of the company and nothing to do with lack of delivery potential. Veganism a passing fad and not enough customers

Tuffnels which has made 75 employees near me redundant has gone out of business because it was loaded with too much debt for the size of the company and nothing to do with lack of delivery potential. Veganism a passing fad and not enough customers

Could the vegan food company not jsut have gone out of business as it was loaded with debt as well? Because a business closes down does not have to mean their is no customers. Food production costs have risen hugely over the last year which will have had an effect on what they have to charge against what people are willing to pay.

Recent carbon saving ideas - Bromptonaut

France has an extensive network of very high speed trains. IF they provide similar door to door journey times as flying but are powered by electricity in a country where most electricity is from nuclear. wind or solar what's the issue?

France has an extensive network of very high speed trains. IF they provide similar door to door journey times as flying but are powered by electricity in a country where most electricity is from nuclear. wind or solar what's the issue?

Yes I know, The trains are great, still the airlines can't be that pleased loosing custom. Did you not get the joke bit. The original post was poking fun at some of the nonsense

Recent carbon saving ideas - corax
Yes I know, The trains are great, still the airlines can't be that pleased loosing custom. Did you not get the joke bit. The original post was poking fun at some of the nonsense

Stopping the land being ploughed or dug up to improve soil quality is not nonsense.

Stopping the land being ploughed or dug up to improve soil quality is not nonsense.

How would you plant a field that was full of say wheat and now you want to plant cabbages. If you were in charge of agriculture we would all stave to death

Recent carbon saving ideas - corax

How would you plant a field that was full of say wheat and now you want to plant cabbages. If you were in charge of agriculture we would all stave to death

You go for the 'no till' approach, not practised much in the UK.

Eventually we will all starve to death anyway if we don't change out ways, agricultural land is gradually being eroded away and nothing is put back. We're just taking advantage of something that has been built up over thousands of years before there were too many of us.

Open your mind to change instead of living in the past as if that's the only way.

Eventually we will all starve to death anyway if we don't change out ways, agricultural land is gradually being eroded away and nothing is put back. We're just taking advantage of something that has been built up over thousands of years before there were too many of us.

Open your mind to change instead of living in the past as if that's the only way.

I do know that some gardeners adopt a no dig but I don't think the carbon saving element comes into it for most more a saving of labour. It usually involves taking an area of ground to be cultivated and covering it in some way to kill the weeds. It is a waiting game as this can take many many months. Then only a shallow surface of the soil is cultivated. Whether you can continue to do this without adding organic matter compost or manure is debatable. At least with spade digging/ploughing you are turning over the soil giving you fresh soil on top and resting the top as you turn it over. The so called carbon release if even true is debateable but a necessity for food production.

I agree with you 100% about the problems of feeding an ever increasing population

Recent carbon saving ideas - focussed

If you look into the "no till " method, everything about it seems peachy, except just one very important point.

Cultivation is the way in which conventional agriculture controls weeds, both before and after planting. In no-till farming, at least as it’s practiced today; herbicides take the place of the plow.

So not such a good idea, unless of course you happen to be a herbicide manufacturer.

Funny how the same people from the 'great and the good' are both significantly driving up demand for food via hugely upping immigration and 'giving asylum' to anyone who 'wants it' and at the same time demanding food production be significantly reduced.

Yeah, that'll work.

Why is it good? They were doing you no harm and employed people who now have no jobs.

Because it shows that the real world market doesn't want to buy such products, however hard the powers-that-be and their shadowy puppeteers would wish.

I have nothing personally against the firm or its staff, just the agenda artificially boosting their reach, especially as vegan is not the natural diet of onmivores such as ourselves.

Plenty of businesses go out of business when their is demand - Tuffnels couriers went into administation on Monday but there is plenty of need for deliveries.

And your point being? Businesses that aren't up to snuff or, perhaps increasingly (not in this case), go woke, will not survive. That's just reality, albiet delayed sometimes.

Recent carbon saving ideas - FP

"... the powers-that-be and their shadowy puppeteers..."

Just noting the casual (and irrelevant) insertion of this conspiracy theory.

Edited by FP on 14/06/2023 at 14:56

Recent carbon saving ideas - Andrew-T

"... the powers-that-be and their shadowy puppeteers..."

Just noting the casual (and irrelevant) insertion of this conspiracy theory.

Yes. Quoting Charlie Brown (from Peanuts many years ago) : "It's not whether you win or lose, it's where to place the blame .. ". Boris has been doing it even more just lately.

Recent carbon saving ideas - Adampr

The removal of farmland is already well underway, but it's not forcible. In many areas of the country, particularly the south west and south coast, developers are required to demonstrate 'nutrient neutrality' meaning that new developments must not increase nitrate and/or phosphate run-off. This is essentially impossible, so the agreed solution is that the same developers buy a certain amount of farmland and permanently take it out of agricultural use. That means a reduction in fertilisers and, hence, reduction in nutrients run off.

What anyone plans to do with the land, and why they didn't just ban nitrate and phosphate fertilisers, I am unsure of.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's well known and standard practice in the industry.

The removal of farmland is already well underway, but it's not forcible. In many areas of the country, particularly the south west and south coast, developers are required to demonstrate 'nutrient neutrality' meaning that new developments must not increase nitrate and/or phosphate run-off. This is essentially impossible, so the agreed solution is that the same developers buy a certain amount of farmland and permanently take it out of agricultural use. That means a reduction in fertilisers and, hence, reduction in nutrients run off.

What anyone plans to do with the land, and why they didn't just ban nitrate and phosphate fertilisers, I am unsure of.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's well known and standard practice in the industry.

More info here, for those interested.

www.local.gov.uk/pas/topics/environment/nutrient-n...s

I have seen nothing for the last weeks on the so called GIGA battery factory at Bridgwater in the SW. I don't know the quality of the land here but a big site is marked miles away from any car plants but near the M5 does not seem to be much agricultural farming here other than cattle grazing in the low lying meadows,

Has any =one any news on Rishi's project to lead the World in battery development. We seem to be miles behind the game and no factory.

There's certainly a lot of grazing. There is a very big Muller dairy plant in Bridgwater and cows for miles around. Otherwise, most of the land (the Somerset levels) is fairly poor quality and not suitable for homes as it floods.

If the Giga factory happens, it should be great for the town as it's desperately short of jobs but very well served by the M5, has a mainline railway station, (small) docks and two airports within 40 minutes.

Because it shows that the real world market doesn't want to buy such products, however hard the powers-that-be and their shadowy puppeteers would wish.

I have nothing personally against the firm or its staff, just the agenda artificially boosting their reach, especially as vegan is not the natural diet of onmivores such as ourselves.

And your point being? Businesses that aren't up to snuff or, perhaps increasingly (not in this case), go woke, will not survive. That's just reality, albiet delayed sometimes.

One vegan food manufactuerer going out of business does not show that the 'real world' does not want that type of products. It just shows issues at that particular company. That is all - you can't make any more out of it just to try and make out that somehow you are right. It's a strange way of looking at things. Especially when you don't understand the point I made about Tuffnels going out of business when there is a clear need of deliveriers. I think you do understand but don't want to admit to it as it would show that your original point was off the mark and you would rather bring out your stock 'powers tha be' and 'shadowy pupeteers' nonsense that has no basis is reality.

Recent carbon saving ideas - Ethan Edwards

Free Range Soylent Green meat, Soylent Cola . Let's eat the useless third of our population. Save the cows, eat vegans. Don't follow Eco Mentalists...barbecue them.....Save the planet scoff an interfering scientist today.

Recent carbon saving ideas - Bromptonaut

Free Range Soylent Green meat, Soylent Cola . Let's eat the useless third of our population. Save the cows, eat vegans. Don't follow Eco Mentalists...barbecue them.....Save the planet scoff an interfering scientist today.

Chump

One vegan food manufactuerer going out of business does not show that the 'real world' does not want that type of products. It just shows issues at that particular company.

That's yo're opinion. This is not the first such firm to go under of late, and I think it's a trend that'll get a lot worse after many trendy greenies jumped on the bandwagon, helped via nice big cheques to get their 'businesses' up and running.

That is all - you can't make any more out of it just to try and make out that somehow you are right. It's a strange way of looking at things. Especially when you don't understand the point I made about Tuffnels going out of business when there is a clear need of deliveriers.

I understood you perfectly - I just don't agree with most of your arguments. Poorly run businesses, if not propped up by the state, will go under. Ironically, where there IS too much state intervention generally, and that includes, for example what has happened over the last 3 years and contionues, i.e. encouraging people to 'work from home' where its not approiate / efficient for the job or just to not work at all, has meant that many businesses have been effectively priced out of business because they cannot afford to lose business by putting up prices in order to cover the higher wages they need to attract staff.

Whether that applies to Tuffnels, I don't know. You haven't exactly said WHY they've gone out of business - could it be that the immigrant indie white man van deliveries (which isn't their fault - it's pefectly legal) have taken their business away by undercutting their rates?

Apart from DPD, Parcelforce and the occasional UPS van, you rarely see any of those 'smaller' to medium sized firms with their vans these days. Several went under well before March 2020 because of this trend.

I think you do understand but don't want to admit to it as it would show that your original point was off the mark and you would rather bring out your stock 'powers tha be' and 'shadowy pupeteers' nonsense that has no basis is reality.

Perhaps rather than point such finger at me, you need to take a good, long, hard look in the mirror first. I'd say that you're accurately descirbing your own blinkered views of the 'I see no ships' variety, especially when the evidence to support my arguments is strong and staring you in the face as you go about your life.

What's also noticeable is how a good number of people are more than reluctant to change their view when presented with evidence, partly because it often debunks whole swathes of their previous and current worldview, but also because accepting such a major set of view was not right or at least hasn't been for some time and needing changing is difficult as you get older, where change doesn't come so easy.

What gets me about the Vegan food industry is their lack of originality naming their product trying to compete with the meat trade and other animal products. You still have mince sausages milk and a list as long as a roll of wallpaper and I suspect a lot of Vegan food is processed not that you can really avoid this stuff. I have never tried any of the products, I know what I do like food wise so I expect that makes me boring. It took me years to wean myself of prawn cocktail as a starter and when I go out for a meal I am happy with a beefeater steak house than any overpriced restaurant. What I do not like is when I order a diet Pepsi, driving see, they always charge me the unlimited price when I only want one so back goes the bill!

Recent carbon saving ideas - Andrew-T

<< Perhaps rather than point such finger at me, you need to take a good, long, hard look in the mirror first. I'd say that you're accurately descirbing your own blinkered views of the 'I see no ships' variety, especially when the evidence to support my arguments is strong and staring you in the face as you go about your life.>>

Oh dear, a grown-up version of common playground invective. I find it rather detracts from any worthwhile argument that may have preceded it.

Recent carbon saving ideas - Crickleymal

Whether that applies to Tuffnels, I don't know. You haven't exactly said WHY they've gone out of business - could it be that the immigrant indie white man van deliveries (which isn't their fault - it's pefectly legal) have taken their business away by undercutting their rates?

Immigrant indie white man van? Why mention immigrants?

Recent carbon saving ideas - FP

"... the evidence to support my arguments is strong and staring you in the face as you go about your life."

But you can never provide any convincing evidence. I would love to check any decent evidence that there are "shadowy puppeteers" pulling the strings of "the powers-that-be".

I know the stereotypical stuff - you know, Bill Gates and the microchips in the covid vaccine, George Soros controlling the left wing of US politics and the general idea of a shadowy elite controlling the world. But this evidence that is staring me in the face every day is a new one. I thought only the privileged ones, the ones with true insight and knowledge, could see what is supposedly happening.

especially when the evidence to support my arguments is strong and staring you in the face as you go about your life.

What's also noticeable is how a good number of people are more than reluctant to change their view when presented with evidence, partly because it often debunks whole swathes of their previous and current worldview, but also because accepting such a major set of view was not right or at least hasn't been for some time and needing changing is difficult as you get older, where change doesn't come so easy.

You usually have a distinct lack of evidence for most of your posts and you are certaibnly not someone that will ever change your mind even when you are shown full facts as you will just say they are manipulated on some way.