Battery is not taking off - movilogo

Tecnam shelved electric aircraft.

www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/pioneering-electric-...c

Electric planes won't work beyond 500 miles because battery is too heavy and unlike petrol, the weight of aircraft does not get reduced as it burns fuel.

Battery is not taking off - Bolt

Tecnam shelved electric aircraft.

www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/pioneering-electric-...c

Electric planes won't work beyond 500 miles because battery is too heavy and unlike petrol, the weight of aircraft does not get reduced as it burns fuel.

I see no reason why they cannot use Bio Fuel as its said to give zero emissions, which Toyota are working on for its new design engines, I think Virgin are using a type of bio fuel now so it wont be long before its mass produced.

Battery is not taking off - Andrew-T

<< I see no reason why they cannot use Bio Fuel as its said to give zero emissions, >>

I think you may mean that Biofuel can be carbon-neutral - in theory. Any fuel when burnt will emit something, usually water and CO2, plus some NO2 from a diesel engine. In principle biofuel comes from recently-grown crops using photosynthesis (fossil fuel did the same, only millions of years ago). Next year that CO2 will have been photosynthesised again, so 'carbon-neutral'.

Battery is not taking off - Adampr

We're possibly talking about synthetic carbon neutral fuels in general.

Battery is not taking off - Vroom78

I'm sure Ryan Air will buy a few of these plans and make you pay for extra the option of it not to crash after 100 flights.

Battery is not taking off - focussed

I'm sure Ryan Air will buy a few of these plans and make you pay for extra the option of it not to crash after 100 flights.

Ryanair runs a fleet of 500 planes, so why would they get involved with something that hasn't been proved to work?
Battery is not taking off - Ethan Edwards

In the world of RC flying electric models have come to dominate

I'm not convinced it's applicable to Civil Aviation. Maybe a hybrid approach using fuel to take off and land but electric for cruising...then you have a safety net should you need one.

Battery is not taking off - Terry W

Energy density of jet fuel is 9.6 kwh per litre. Best batteries currently are ~0.7 kwh per kilo.

Direct comparison with current aircraft is difficult - but a flight London - Edinburgh (short haul) uses ~1.7 tons of jet fuel. This may suggest that a battery powered flight would need in the order of 25 tons of batteries.

This is not completely implausible, noting that aircraft design would need to be very different to current to generate more lift and probably slower (prop driven?). With battery improvements up to 3-500 miles may be achievable in the next decade or so.

However green fuels (hydrogen, plant based etc) represent a more likely outcome. Hybrid seems unlikely due to the cost, complexity and weight of dual systems.

Battery is not taking off - badbusdriver

Energy density of jet fuel is 9.6 kwh per litre. Best batteries currently are ~0.7 kwh per kilo.

Direct comparison with current aircraft is difficult - but a flight London - Edinburgh (short haul) uses ~1.7 tons of jet fuel. This may suggest that a battery powered flight would need in the order of 25 tons of batteries.

This is not completely implausible, noting that aircraft design would need to be very different to current to generate more lift and probably slower (prop driven?). With battery improvements up to 3-500 miles may be achievable in the next decade or so.

However green fuels (hydrogen, plant based etc) represent a more likely outcome. Hybrid seems unlikely due to the cost, complexity and weight of dual systems.

I quite agree that for short haul flights, electric is feasible. As for the weight in batteries, don't forget all those surfaces on which solar panels could be harvesting power.

But what about airships?. Not only are they more efficient, there is much more surface area on which to have solar panels. Yes, they are nowhere near as fast as even a prop driven plane, but the ability to land without the need for a runway could have them much closer to city centres bringing the total travel time much closer to conventional air travel.

Presumably, if you only ever flew westwards at about 1,000mph, you could just have PVs on the plane and no need for a battery?

Battery is not taking off - Engineer Andy

Hydrogen is only a 'green' fuel if split from water using electrolysis. That is stil an emerging tech and ultra expensive, especially as requires fresh water, which means energy-intensive desalination is required if the far more abundent sea water is used.

Even so, hydrogen is a gas and thus isn't very useful as a fuel unless under extremely high pressure and/or when cooled to ultra low temperatures as a liquid, both of which again require large amounts of energy to accomplish / maintain. Even under pressure, it still requires far more storage space than liquid fossil fuels.

Bad enough for use in 'gas' boilers where you can at least have it piped in from a central store (we've spoken about the logistical problems of switching over from natural gas before), but that isn't available for planes and road vehicles, and the rapid escape of highly explosive gases stored under extereme pressure, whether during normal usage or during an accident would be, well, very bad to say the least.

'Plant-based' fuels are not really 'green' as they still require fertilisers, water, electricity and ICE fuel as they are crops and thus need tending and harvesting / processing to s significant degree. In addition, plant-based fuels by their very nature takes awy vital land used for food production, or in the case of such products made in South America, further depletes the rainforest because producers use that land instead.

Water is a completely inconsequential issue - commercial electrolysis requires approx 10 litres of water to get 1 kg of hydrogen. I kg of hydrogen is equivalent to ~1 gallon of petrol.

The average person in the UK uses ~140 litres per day. Flushing the toilet uses 6 litres.

The rest of your points - using surplus wind or solar energy to produce hydrogen can be worthwhile. Whether it can be compressed and used on aircraft is another matter,

It is also possible to produce plant based fuels largely using only equipment and fertilisers powered by plant. Whether the net fuel produced justifies removing land from food production is a separate issue.

Water is a completely inconsequential issue - commercial electrolysis requires approx 10 litres of water to get 1 kg of hydrogen. I kg of hydrogen is equivalent to ~1 gallon of petrol.

Not inconsequential, because it requires said water to be fresh, and desalination uses enormous amounts of electricity to produce it from sea water. It's not as though England is awash with spare fresh water at the moment, is it?

And sea water, whether 'raw' or desalinated (at a costal desal plant) still has to be transported in large amounts to wherever the hydrogen is produced, or that has to be separetely piped from natural gas (for the reasons I stated in the debate about changing over from that to hydrogen for boilers) to the 'filling stations' or using not-so-green ICE fuelled tankers (unlikely they'll be EVs).

Not exactly easy or green, unless huge amounts of extra electricty can be generated to accomplish this and resources / infrastructure built to enable it all, which won't exactly take 5 mins (it has yet to be planned or designed, which takes many years) to build.

The average person in the UK uses ~140 litres per day. Flushing the toilet uses 6 litres.

The rest of your points - using surplus wind or solar energy to produce hydrogen can be worthwhile. Whether it can be compressed and used on aircraft is another matter,

It is also possible to produce plant based fuels largely using only equipment and fertilisers powered by plant. Whether the net fuel produced justifies removing land from food production is a separate issue.

Still a very im,portant issue, and in my view cannot be just swept aside as if 'unimportant', as doing this would have a major negative impact on the food supply worldwide, as was shown in Sri Lanka when they followed the WEF 'guideance' and practically stopped all 'modern' farming for poorly thought-out organic (i.e. without thinking through the consequences, e.g. hugely reduced yields), which lead to riots and the overthrowing of a government by the general population.

Look what is and has been happening in Holland, seemingly with their government looking to do similar things, no doubt with many weak-minded, WEF-sychophant Western puppet politicians of all mainstream hues looking on to see whether they can do much the same and 'get away with it'.

Battery is not taking off - alan1302

Not inconsequential, because it requires said water to be fresh, and desalination uses enormous amounts of electricity to produce it from sea water. It's not as though England is awash with spare fresh water at the moment, is it?

And sea water, whether 'raw' or desalinated (at a costal desal plant) still has to be transported in large amounts to wherever the hydrogen is produced, or that has to be separetely piped from natural gas (for the reasons I stated in the debate about changing over from that to hydrogen for boilers) to the 'filling stations' or using not-so-green ICE fuelled tankers (unlikely they'll be EVs).

Not exactly easy or green, unless huge amounts of extra electricty can be generated to accomplish this and resources / infrastructure built to enable it all, which won't exactly take 5 mins (it has yet to be planned or designed, which takes many years) to build.

Still a very im,portant issue, and in my view cannot be just swept aside as if 'unimportant', as doing this would have a major negative impact on the food supply worldwide, as was shown in Sri Lanka when they followed the WEF 'guideance' and practically stopped all 'modern' farming for poorly thought-out organic (i.e. without thinking through the consequences, e.g. hugely reduced yields), which lead to riots and the overthrowing of a government by the general population.

Look what is and has been happening in Holland, seemingly with their government looking to do similar things, no doubt with many weak-minded, WEF-sychophant Western puppet politicians of all mainstream hues looking on to see whether they can do much the same and 'get away with it'.

If only what you said about Sri Lanka was true:

Sri Lanka’s fertiliser ban and why New Zealand can phase out synthetic nitrogen fertiliser - Greenpeace Aotearoa

If only what you said about Sri Lanka was true:

Sri Lanka’s fertiliser ban and why New Zealand can phase out synthetic nitrogen fertiliser - Greenpeace Aotearoa

From my reading of it, the article proves my assertions, not the opposite as you claim, even if they make ridiculous claims about 'colonialism' and suchlike, which hold as much water as a sieve. What exactly did I get wrong?

Besides, taking Greenpeace's word? Seriously? Good God - IMHO it's not as though they don't have a track record of making up stuff in the past, for example, about the 'environmental benefits' of dismantling that oil rig instead of sinking it.

Battery is not taking off - Sofa Spud

They say the batteries only last a few hundred flights, yet there are now quite a number of 10 year-old electric cars still in use, most of them on their original batteries, with only a small deterioration in range.

They're probably looking for a more durable type of battery.

And a 500 mile range is still useful for certain real-world roles.

I gather a lot have given up on aircraft batteries as the weight to power ratio means they need too many batteries and hardly any cargo/passengers, so they are looking into Hydrogen to fuel the Jets or use green biofuel using a new method to produce the fuel, looking good so far, the fuel is far more refined than the bio fuel used by some at the moment

Battery is not taking off - sammy1

I gather a lot have given up on aircraft batteries as the weight to power ratio means they need too many batteries and hardly any cargo/passengers, so they are looking into Hydrogen to fuel the Jets or use green biofuel using a new method to produce the fuel, looking good so far, the fuel is far more refined than the bio fuel used by some at the moment

Yes humans can look at every practical way of reducing carbon emissions but will they change their ways. No. Will it make any difference No If we are all so concerned about the planet heating up nothing is really being done in the grand scheme and admitted as such by TB The head of the UN used the phrase only last week "" the planet is boiling" which is pretty alarming especially to youngsters and totally irresponsible. We have had warming now boiling. I suppose the next part of the physics lesson is evaporation.

If planes could fly by batteries and if the plane were overloaded some bright spark would take off a few batteries rather than a few the passengers just to save the revenue!

There is a French documentary with sub titles on the Cobalt industry in the Congo. It is alarming not just what it is doing to the population but the whole local environment. China owns 15 out of 19 firms mining for cooper/cobalt ore and basically has almost a monopoly on the Cobalt supply, all being shipped to them from South Africa. Why are the car makers going to China, this is the answer Batteries

The lead acid battery was developed in the mid 19th century. Not much progress until NiCad 100 years later. They could be severely toxic - late 20th century along came nickel metal hydride.

Lithium ion made a commercial appearance early 21st century. All dates approximate due to lag between invention and general exploitation use. All "improvements", particularly lithium were made in pursuit of greater energy density and lighter weight.

Why the history - science and technology does not stand still. Rejecting a technology simply because at its current level of development is imperfect is foolish. As a strategy humanity would still favour the horse and cart as the main means of transport.

Lithium ion with added cobalt and other elements will not be the final solution. Economic and political pressure encourage alternative development - one of the most promising is based largely around sodium.

Battery is not taking off - sammy1

Yes fully understand where you are coming from and humans should strive to continually improve. The present batteries and the whole concept of the EV is just not practical from mining the raw materials making and consumer usage which only a proportion of this country and the world will be able to utilise. People are not daft they know that current EVs are far from practical for most of their needs and a sensible gov would leave them with an alternative until both the cars and chargers improve. Yes sales are improving but I wonder what the proportion of private to subsidised company cars really is.

Battery is not taking off - corax

Yes fully understand where you are coming from and humans should strive to continually improve. The present batteries and the whole concept of the EV is just not practical from mining the raw materials making and consumer usage which only a proportion of this country and the world will be able to utilise. People are not daft they know that current EVs are far from practical for most of their needs and a sensible gov would leave them with an alternative until both the cars and chargers improve. .

History shows that governments don't stick to their guns, the deadline might have to be moved forward if it's not viable. If people can't travel, then society will break down, all the services that are relied on by everyone, including the wealthy, will cease to be.

Company cars apparently account for 50-60% of new car sales - I suspect EV sales benefit from very generous tax treatment.

EVs are entirely practical for nearly all users - there will be the odd exception:

• the average weekly miles is less than 200 miles - a single charge for most EVs
  • average journey length is 9 miles - hardly challenging
  • vehicles routinely travelling more than (say) 200 miles in a day is very small.

Issues - cost new and electricity infrastructure are entirely capable of resolution. New battery tech carries a risk.

Question - does allowing slippage improve the chances of successful transition or simply encourage car manufacturers to be more relaxed/dilatory.

Personal view - an apparently immovable date (2030) increases the sense of urgency and the pace of development. The date should not be slipped - most of humanities advances come through response to difficult challenges.

Question - does allowing slippage improve the chances of successful transition or simply encourage car manufacturers to be more relaxed/dilatory.

It improves it as it becomes less forced and less rushed - it will allow for better solutions, with a better thought out network rather than throwing everything together and hoping it will be all ok at the end.

Battery is not taking off - Oli rag

I believe the 2030 date allows hybrids also? If that is the case, most manufactures have gone down that route already, so we might not notice much difference.

I do think that the use of underpowered electric motors in many hybrids that don’t allow the car to be moved on battery power only, are an emission cheat and not worth the cost or complexity.

I believe the 2030 date allows hybrids also? If that is the case, most manufactures have gone down that route already, so we might not notice much difference.

Except having to delve significantly more deeply into our wallets for the 'priviledge' of buying a brand new non-'pure' ICE car.

I noticed that even before the pandemic-related price rises, the price of a basic mild hybrid was about 10-20% more, and for what, a slightly better mpg and emissions rating? Something more to go wrong, and seemingly does quite a bit, especially with cars that aren't well used.

I do think that the use of underpowered electric motors in many hybrids that don’t allow the car to be moved on battery power only, are an emission cheat and not worth the cost or complexity.

Yep. Like with many car environmental 'innovations' over the past 20+ years, many don't do anywhere near as well in the real world as the lab or 'official' test bed. If the trades descriptions etc were properly enforced, most car manufacturers would have been bankrupted by now.

If the trades descriptions etc were properly enforced, most car manufacturers would have been bankrupted by now.

Which mild hybrid does not improve emissions and MPG? Just as an example?

Which mild hybrid does not improve emissions and MPG?

The better MPG for most as far as I can tell, comes at the expense of burning more oil (unless the run in is done correctly) which I would have thought difficult if the control systems say when the engine starts and stops at its request

to make the engine have less friction, the piston rings are a slack fit in the bores which allows the engine to burn excess oil, it has been said up to 2 litres a month and certain researchers have mentioned the oil being fully synthetic as most are, the burnt oil has a detrimental effect on our bodies

you only have to look it up as the information on this is freely available

though it wasn`t mentioned what the gases of Hybrids emit, but did say they are worse than a petrol or diesel.....

believe what you will, but its possible its correct if allowing an engine to burn excessive amounts of oil, and more than one source confirms it

Can you provide links to authoritative reports identifying the oil consumption issue.

My simple search showed a few cases of where individuals have reported problems but no systematic analysis.

Battery is not taking off - FP

@ Bolt:

Am I reading this correctly?

You're saying that the ICE in hybrids are designed to burn more oil than their non-hybrid counterparts?

This sentence in particular seems odd: "though it wasn`t mentioned what the gases of Hybrids emit, but did say they are worse than a petrol or diesel....."

Surely the gases emitted by an ICE - either petrol or diesel - are chemically the same, whether they are installed in a hybrid car or not? (Though one would expect the amount of gases to be less in a hybrid, as the ICE does not run all the time.)

Edited by FP on 26/08/2023 at 11:57

If the trades descriptions etc were properly enforced, most car manufacturers would have been bankrupted by now.

Which mild hybrid does not improve emissions and MPG? Just as an example?

But the claims of 60-70mpg in 'mixed driving' never pan out unless you drive in a very specific area and way, not as the vast majority of drivers do.

Rather like diesels were sooooo good for the environment, rather than making respiratory disease worse in urban areas, because diesel engines are suited to lugging heavy loas and motorway driving, not short trips from cold in an urban setting. or that NOx levels emitted from them in normal use match that in the 'tests' used to 'pass' the law.

And how many PHEVs have mpgs quoted that mostly rely on the cars predominantly being used in EV mode in urban areas and being able to be fully recharged near daily in order to be in EV mode the vast majority of the time, which likely won't apply to a lot of them, if not the majority.

It's an interesting suggestion. I've not heard any of this before, but it seems old high mileage priuses have a reputation for burning oil if neglected. But then, so do lots of cars.

I can't think why a hybrid engine would be designed to burn oil. Is the idea that they're trying to cheat on MPG by reducing friction? Seems a bit fanciful.

Battery is not taking off - FP

"And how many PHEVs have mpgs quoted that mostly rely on the cars predominantly being used in EV mode in urban areas and being able to be fully recharged near daily in order to be in EV mode the vast majority of the time, which likely won't apply to a lot of them, if not the majority."

The Octopus website addresses this, up to a point:

"Because of the complexities of PHEVs (plug-in hybrid electric vehicles), the WLTP introduced a new way for them to be tested. This is because the cars run on both battery and fuel, so we need to test them for battery performance and engine performance to get the right efficiency figures. Plug-in hybrids have to take the WLTP test multiple times, starting with a fully charged battery and ending with an empty one. Another test is done when the battery power is entirely out and the car is running purely on petrol or diesel, which gives a clear picture of what economy drivers can expect. After these tests are done, the car's electric range is used to figure out the car's official emissions and fuel economy numbers."

Edited by FP on 26/08/2023 at 14:14

"And how many PHEVs have mpgs quoted that mostly rely on the cars predominantly being used in EV mode in urban areas and being able to be fully recharged near daily in order to be in EV mode the vast majority of the time, which likely won't apply to a lot of them, if not the majority."

The Octopus website addresses this, up to a point:

"Because of the complexities of PHEVs (plug-in hybrid electric vehicles), the WLTP introduced a new way for them to be tested. This is because the cars run on both battery and fuel, so we need to test them for battery performance and engine performance to get the right efficiency figures. Plug-in hybrids have to take the WLTP test multiple times, starting with a fully charged battery and ending with an empty one. Another test is done when the battery power is entirely out and the car is running purely on petrol or diesel, which gives a clear picture of what economy drivers can expect. After these tests are done, the car's electric range is used to figure out the car's official emissions and fuel economy numbers."

That's still subjective because the test's parameters decide how long the car is being driven solely in EV and not. Technically a PHEV can be driven solely on either, depending on usage. And the latter depends on whom buys the car:

1. Mostly urban dwellers, perhaps who don't have home or regular access to a (fast) charger, but who would use the EV mode as much as they could on short(er) trips;

2. Those in more suburban or rual areas who might liekly have such access, but who might do longer commutes and work trips, using the car more in ICE only mode, or;

3. The company car driver whose firm just bought a PHEV to reduce their (P11D) tax burden and do a lot of miles on motorways, don't have the time (or care much anyway as they aren't paying for the 'fuel') to sit around waiting for it to recharge and thus use the ICE far more.

Some of these (often very large / heavy) cars will do far less than a Focus of Mondeo ICE only type car mpg wise when not in EV mode for a decent amount of the time.

Battery is not taking off - mcb100
‘ 1. Mostly urban dwellers, perhaps who don't have home or regular access to a (fast) charger, but who would use the EV mode as much as they could on short(er) trips;’

PHEV’s tend only to have a 3.6kW onboard charger (unless a 7kW charger has been specified as an option), so plugging them into anything other than a 3 pin plug is fairly pointless.

Edited by mcb100 on 26/08/2023 at 22:07

‘ 1. Mostly urban dwellers, perhaps who don't have home or regular access to a (fast) charger, but who would use the EV mode as much as they could on short(er) trips;’ PHEV’s tend only to have a 3.6kW onboard charger (unless a 7kW charger has been specified as an option), so plugging them into anything other than a 3 pin plug is fairly pointless.

Perhaps, but most workplaced won't have an accessible charging point or (mostly for health and safety reasons) no access to just a standard three pin 230V socket to charge it. Most don't even have enough parking spaces for 1/3 of their staff.

That means a potential PHEV owner has to be able to have a car with sufficient EV range to get to work and back under any driving conditions as well as needing to fully recharge it every day at home. Works for some, but for many, it won't, because they don't have a driveway / garage.

Most PHEVs have a range around the 40 mile level, which is cutting it fine for many a commute (both ways). I wonder if that means that a good number of such cars end up in the hands of the retired?