Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Steveieb

I’m hearing reports that the 12 volt auxiliary batteries aren’t up to the job in the HRV, Jazz Crossstar Hybrid and new model Civic.

Often requiring a call to Honda assistance who attend and jump start the car . But after up to six repeat experiences when the car is left in the garage for a week or lots of local runs , owners are resorting to buying a “ jump start “ pack.

Surely the cars are not “fit for purpose” .

But does this problem affect other Hybrid cars ?

Ive not seen many Toyota Prius taxis stranded and they do lots of short runs . But how about other makes ?

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - bathtub tom

There's a long thread running on the Yaris forum about the same problem with hybrids. The 12v battery's under the back seat and AGM. Apparently if it goes too flat it can't be charged.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - elekie&a/c doctor
This is the sort of problem we used to get in the 60s with your cortina. Have we not moved on from this ?
Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - SLO76
Colleague of mine had this with his Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid. The 12v battery went flat (on a nearly new car) and he called the Toyota recovery provided by RAC. The chap turned up and tried jump starting the car which blew some main fuse in the hybrid system. It had to be recovered to Toyota who then presented my friend with a bill for over £500! A spot of arguing back and forth seen this bill quashed as it was Toyota’s own recovery provider who caused the problem. Apparently you can’t jump start a Toyota Hybrid, which is a bit of pain as they get older.
Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Bromptonaut

Two of my neighbours have, or have had hybrids.

One a Toyota, the other a Lexus. Both had 'no go' issues with the 12v battery.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Big John
Apparently you can’t jump start a Toyota Hybrid, which is a bit of pain as they get older.

A friend of mine has had the 12v ancillary battery go flat a few (4?) times over his 15 years of Prius ownership. He was made aware of the "safe" 12v terminal to apply the positive jump lead to. I once helped him do this when he flattened this battery waiting outside a hospital (Covid triage system) for hours with lights / radio on. Applied -ve to earth and +ve to said terminal and very quickly off it went.

You also have to be careful jump starting many "traditional" cars with stop / start and apply the leads to the correct terminals otherwise you cause damage.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - craig-pd130

Never had this problem with my old 225xe PHEV in 3 years ownership, even though the car would often go for up to 2 weeks without the petrol engine ever kicking in.

I don't recall any reports of problems on the BMW electric forums either. Perhaps BMW hybrids trickle-charge the 12V battery when they're plugged in to charge the main traction battery.

Have there been any reports of this problem with VW hybrids ?

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Mike H

As I mentioned on here last week, I have a 4-year old Honda CR-V self-charging hybrid. Never had a 12v battery problem in the time we've had it (we bought it new in July 2019). In fact, not had any problems at all.

Edited by Mike H on 04/07/2023 at 20:05

Has the car been used daily Mike or left at an airport for any length of time ?

I honestly can't remember. In the past we've left cars for a week or so at a station, but due to COVID I don't think we have with this one - perhaps 3 days at the most. It's normally used daily, occasionally perhaps a couple of days between uses. Our regular journey, when we do use it, is about 6 miles. Obviously there's the occasional longer trip.

Edited by Mike H on 05/07/2023 at 21:30

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - DavidGlos
Acknowledged issue of many Ford Kuga PHEVs too. Friend had a ‘self charging’ Lexus hybrid that was prone to the same problem.
Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - madf

Usually problems are caused by lack of use..

Of the 5,120 petrol hybrids registered in 2022 and advertised for sale on Autotrader,1,676 had done less than 5,000 miles That is 32%

106 had covered under 500 miles.

Conclusion: many hybrid users would be better off using a taxi

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - John F

Very true. I disconnect the battery of my rarely driven TR7 every time it returns to the garage. Battery lasts for yonks, never goes flat. My fewer than 2000 miles per annum Audi A8 often goes two weeks without turning a wheel (longer during 'covid') so the battery used to last only around five years. This is because the car is 'alive', e.g. regularly monitoring how level it is and on 'standby' for all sorts of things. This continual micro-power drain probably shortens its life. If left too long the car can need a jump start. My solution is a Halfords battery charger in the boot (that's where the battery is) plugged into an old weekly time clock which charges it 0800 - 1200hrs Mon Wed and Fri.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - sammy1

Of the 5,120 petrol hybrids registered in 2022 and advertised for sale on Autotrader,1,676 had done less than 5,000 miles That is 32%

106 had covered under 500 miles.

Conclusion: many hybrid users would be better off using a taxi

I thought the whole idea of owning and running a hybrid was to utilise the battery where ever possible. This car is useless in this respect and can only manage a mile of so on battery. So Honda have made a complicated car petrol and electric and by the seem of things unfit for purpose and not very fuel efficient

Can someone explain why the Toyota Prius which many taxi drivers rely on don’t suffer any of these histrionics?

One other element that I have overlooked is the advantageous “; Benefit in Kind” tax relief that comes with hybrid ownership to business users.

This was demonstrated when Mitsubishi PHEV s were returned at the end of the term with the power cables still in their original packing in the boot

One other element that I have overlooked is the advantageous “; Benefit in Kind” tax relief that comes with hybrid ownership to business users.

This was demonstrated when Mitsubishi PHEV s were returned at the end of the term with the power cables still in their original packing in the boot

All too true nearly all sales down to business across all these hybrids.

Buy a car with an ICE engine and combine it with and electric drive train and you have double the potential grief when something goes wrong. OK usually when in warranty, but expensive out. A lot of the far eastern car makers have part problems even in warranty and long delays are reported by some owners getting their cars fixed.

Can someone explain why the Toyota Prius which many taxi drivers rely on don’t suffer any of these histrionics?

They run all the time,Eventually teh 12V battery dies after about 10 years.

Honda have made a complicated car petrol and electric and by the seem of things unfit for purpose and not very fuel efficient

Our CR-V hybrid is fuel efficient. My last tank was 50mpg, not bad for a heavy 2 litre automatic. And that's with an average journey length of around 6 miles.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Sparrow

A friend of mine has a 2 year old Yaris hybrid that he's had from new. One day recently it wouldn't start. The AA came out and got it going. They told hime to drive it 30miles and back along the motorway at a reasonable speed. He did that and then took it to a Toyota dealer. The dealer said there was nothing wrong with the car and that it was not necessary to follow the AAs advice about driving it on the motorway.

Do you know if the car had been in regular use Sparrow ?

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - movilogo

Do you have 12V battery reset button?

Some hybrids have this button to charge 12V battery from the main traction battery when 12V battery dies. It starts the car using traction battery and then charges 12V again from engine.

Kia offers this in HEV cars but not in PHEV cars.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - bathtub tom

A friend of mine has a 2 year old Yaris hybrid that he's had from new. One day recently it wouldn't start.

If you bother to RTFM, you'll find that by leaving it in 'ready' mode, the engine will start now and then to re-charge both batteries.

It happens to EVs as well.

Absolutely dead: 12V battery useless .Lack of use,

Or low voltage and lots of spurious error codes stopping it running.

No 12V battery = no go.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Ethan Edwards

Yep EVs too. Invariably the actual fault is in the circuitry keeping the 12v battery charged. But people just treat the symptom, recharging the 12v battery or putting a new one in. Then complain about repeated problems.

I think I see a pattern....

Yep EVs too. Invariably the actual fault is in the circuitry keeping the 12v battery charged. But people just treat the symptom, recharging the 12v battery or putting a new one in. Then complain about repeated problems.

I think I see a pattern....

Please explain people. Do you mean the dealers of private owners DIYing. Whatever poor design on these cars if the 12v battery drains all the time and you can't park them "5minutes" before they flatten.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Mark_T45

I’ve got a 2022 HRV. I got it April 22 and by September 22 Honda had replaced the battery because it kept going flat 4 weeks ago I returned from holiday having had the car parked at the airport and the battery was flat. Luckily I have purchased a jump pack just in case so was able to start it (had to use key to get into car), since then it has been flat on 3 occasions ( 1 time the day after a 350 mile round trip).
The car is now booked into Honda again for tests, which will no doubt show the battery needs changing again.

To say this is frustrating on a car that has cost £31K is an understatement ??

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Sparrow

Do you know if the car had been in regular use Sparrow ?

He uses it several times a week, though sometimes his journeys are just into town and back. Interesting comment about Teady mode. I will tell him.

"""Back to the topic, it's quite surprising that even modern hybrids are facing battery-related problems reminiscent of older cars from the '60s. One would think that with the advancements in technology, these issues would be more of a thing of the past.

Yes cars are now rushed out to try to match the competition. let the consumer do the testing for us complain and we will come up with a fix

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Tombstone

My battery has been flat twice in last 3 months on Honda HR-V. On second Hondacare Assistance callout AA engineer said this is a common problem with vehicles of this type (because 12v battery capacity is too small to save weight) and not confined to Honda. He insisted the vehicle be taken to dealership. Dealership very reluctant to accept vehicle.

Dealership tested battery / charging and said it met Honda spec. Of course it does, it's just that the spec is not fit for purpose. Dealership highly combative. Suggested that I was alone in having this problem and blamed me - too many short journeys. Not much research needed to find that neither is true. Dealership suggested I should buy a trickle charger! Really? And how about owners who can't garage their cars?

Strong letter of complaint to dealership. Result: car immediately taken back for software update to BXB multiplex control unit authorised by Honda UK. Time will tell.

I believe some makes now come with "emergency start" button that allows charge to be drawn from HV batteries.

This could be expensive for some manufacturers who appear not to want to recognise the problem.

Insist on your rights as a consumer. The least you should expect a car to do is start!

Great informative post. You would think that a problem like yours might warrant a recall and I hope the fix works. You pay a lot of money, the dealer takes their profit and then cannot be bothered or does not have the know how in todays tech driven world.

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - primus 1

I have a Yaris cross that’s only three weeks old, I’m hoping that any issues have been resolved, but before this car I had a mild hybrid ford puma, although I never experienced a flat battery, it did have battery problems, message would often appear on the screen telling me the car was in deep sleep mode, many others on the forum had this issue some even actually having a flat battery, a few had their batteries swapped for varta ones, some found it cured the problem, for others it made no difference, the battery would shut down certain systems, one being not letting you open the passenger door ( keyless) some had the parking sensors alter their tones, mine had a complete new engine fitted for an unrelated fault and they replaced/updated several modules, which seemed to cure it as I never got the deep sleep message again, although I suspect they just removed it from the app, and the screen in the car, seems this is a problem that’s affecting quite a few manufacturers…

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - Yangben Kinima

2022 Honda HR-V Advance

2 Years gone smooth.

Now, got same problem as yours.

Despite checks & repairs the problem is still there.

But the Honda dealer isn't willing to solve the problem despite charging £32000.

Im likely to escalate this matter to the legal battle as that doesn't match with our contractual T/Cs & services promised.

How much Yangben ?

Similar reports on this thread in the Boundless letters column.

Mostly retired drivers who use their cars sporadically. Similar problems with my colleagues Civic new model , which now seems to have sorted itself since he is using the car regularly .

Honda HRV 1.5 eHEV - Auxiliary battery running flat - skidpan

If you bother to RTFM, you'll find that by leaving it in 'ready' mode, the engine will start now and then to re-charge both batteries.

Toyota do recommend using "ready" mode every week if you don't regularly use the car but there are issues for most mortals. To be in ready mode the car needs the keys in it which in todays world would probably end in theft and no payout. With the engine starting and stopping doing it in the garage is not an option.

From an environmental viewpoint it totally spoils the idea of an economical hybrid.

We got our Yaris on Wednesday. If the issue rears its ugly head I will charge it using the smart charger every week or so and if necessary use the booster (very handy for the Caterham when the battery gets past 6 or 7 years old). There is a dedicated live in the fuse box for these uses.