Dandy Trailer Tent - Curses - Adampr

We're taking our trailer tent away tomorrow. Being a clever man, I thought I'd take the wheels off to check the hubs are nice and cleaned and greased up.

Whilst.putting them back on, I managed to round off a nut. Never mind; it was tightened. Moved on to the next one and managed to snap the stud. That got a bad word.

Not sure what to do. Local mobile repair guy reckons I'll be alright on three studs for a few hundred miles if I don't brake much. Other option is to buy and fit two new braked indispension unts in the morning. Nothing to stop me destroying those bolts too, though...

Dandy Trailer Tent - Curses - sammy1

If it is just the tent and you load everything else in the car should be OK Take the corners a bit slower perhaps and check the other nuts on the way including the heavy handed one!

Dandy Trailer Tent - Curses - gordonbennet

Can you drill the stud out and tap a fresh or larger thread then use a suitable bolt and washers...you could fit a suitable bolt from inside but would need tack welding in place unless there's room behind the wheel for a locking nut to secure the bolt...if any of that makes sense.

Thanks both.. I think we will probably find some kind of alternative accommodation. Having previously been hit by a wheel that came off a caravan travelling the opposite way on a dual carriageway, I am probably less trusting than most that it will behave itself.

I'm sure I could bang the stud out of the hub and replace it, but the whole hub assembly needs to come off for a decent look and I haven't packed yet, so that definitely isn't happening in the morning!

Dandy Trailer Tent - Curses - bathtub tom

Are they like normal wheel studs that are driven in from the back of the hub? If so, they're easily available (although you'll probably lose a day of your holiday).

I once lost a wheel off a caravan on the M6. Found two (of 4) of the nuts inside the hub cap. Took one off t'other side, re-fiited wheel and drove to the next services with three on each wheel. Had a look there and realised the 'van had ground off the bottom of the shocker on that side and put a large 'flat spot' on the tyre that had fortunately wedged itself in the body. Drove the rest of the way to my N Wales destination, where I got a new tyre. The insurance wanted to write off the 'van, but I found a place that could weld and thread a rod to fit a new shocker. Insurance insisted on new studs and wheel (which they paid for) and because I'd saved them a good few bob with the repair, didn't ask for the excess.

Are they like normal wheel studs that are driven in from the back of the hub? If so, they're easily available (although you'll probably lose a day of your holiday).

I once lost a wheel off a caravan on the M6. Found two (of 4) of the nuts inside the hub cap. Took one off t'other side, re-fiited wheel and drove to the next services with three on each wheel. Had a look there and realised the 'van had ground off the bottom of the shocker on that side and put a large 'flat spot' on the tyre that had fortunately wedged itself in the body. Drove the rest of the way to my N Wales destination, where I got a new tyre. The insurance wanted to write off the 'van, but I found a place that could weld and thread a rod to fit a new shocker. Insurance insisted on new studs and wheel (which they paid for) and because I'd saved them a good few bob with the repair, didn't ask for the excess.

Yes, but the hub is unusual (these days) because it's a brake drum and I'd need to get it off to work out how to dismantle.

I was one a passenger in a Series III Landrover on a (very slow and long) drive from London to Blackpool. At one point, a wheel went 'a bit' wobbly and we stopped to discover only 2 of 5 wheel bolts remaining. We did likewise - borrowed one off each of the other wheels.

Dandy Trailer Tent - Curses - Andrew-T

Are they like normal wheel studs that are driven in from the back of the hub? If so, they're easily available (although you'll probably lose a day of your holiday)..

It's decades since I had to fiddle with wheel nuts on studs on a hub. Having had little else but Pugs since then, I have got used to putting bolts into the hub and I guess this problem might not occur ? The wheel is a bit trickier to locate, but otherwise I prefer the bolt arrangement.

Are they like normal wheel studs that are driven in from the back of the hub? If so, they're easily available (although you'll probably lose a day of your holiday)..

It's decades since I had to fiddle with wheel nuts on studs on a hub. Having had little else but Pugs since then, I have got used to putting bolts into the hub and I guess this problem might not occur ? The wheel is a bit trickier to locate, but otherwise I prefer the bolt arrangement.

Ah, but then you risk stripping the thread on the hub and having buy a whole new hub.

Dandy Trailer Tent - Curses - Chris M

" but then you risk stripping the thread on the hub and having buy a whole new hub."

But only if you are a ham fisted baboon.

" but then you risk stripping the thread on the hub and having buy a whole new hub."

But only if you are a ham fisted baboon.

If I can snap a wheel stud, I can strip a thread.

Ooh ooh ah ah

Dandy Trailer Tent - Curses - Andrew-T

<< Ah, but then you risk stripping the thread on the hub and having to buy a whole new hub. >>

Given the torque sometimes applied by garages, my wheel bolts would withstand anything I could apply unless those bolts are totally seized ! I occasionally need a 2-foot bar to loosen them, and that is why I always make sure they are [a] lightly copperslipped and [b] torqued to my satisfaction in case I have to do anything at the roadside (which I haven't, for many years ...).