Varifocals - Chris M

I've been wearing varifocals glasses for several years now and apart from the first week or two when you think you'll never get the hang of them, they've been fine. But I'm now finding some close up DIY and spannering tasks are becoming harder.

A few weeks ago I was wiring in a new ceiling light fitting, so close up work where I should be looking through the "reading" zone of the lense, but due to looking up to the ceiling, I'm looking through the distance zone until I get my head in the right position to look through the right zone. Same thing happened when installing a new headlamp bulb - my head was actually upside down. After a while I find I get a bit queasy. Any other varifocal wearers out there who find the same issue and maybe have a solution?

Varifocals - Bromptonaut

Take your glasses off?

Varifocals - movilogo

But I'm now finding some close up DIY and spannering tasks are becoming harder.

That's perfectly normal. As you grow older, your distance vision remains same but nearer vision power goes up (reading glasses section).

One option is to take your glasses off for closer focus ranges. Alternatively, get your eyes checked and upgrade your glasses.

I need to do it every 3 years or so.

Varifocals - Falkirk Bairn

A pair of reading glasses from the supermarket shelf might help - typically £5+ but could help with close up work - whole lens o look through rather than the bottom few millimetres!

Varifocals - Chris M

Doing without the glasses isn't an option for reading/close up work (including shaving, although I can do that by feel as I know where my face is) and my eyes were checked within the last year and new glasses purchased. Checked every two years or so.

I had thought about a pair of supermarket reading glasses so may give that a go.

Edited by Chris M on 28/08/2023 at 14:54

Varifocals - galileo

A pair of reading glasses from the supermarket shelf might help - typically £5+ but could help with close up work - whole lens o look through rather than the bottom few millimetres!

My wife just had cataracts done and can now seen well without glasses,,except for reading.

Yorkshire thrift took me to Poundland where they have a range of magnifications of reading glasses for £1 or two, which she finds excellent for reading / sewing.

Varifocals - Andrew-T

<< My wife just had cataracts done and can now seen well without glasses,,except for reading. >>

I just had one done, a noticeable improvement in clarity, and shades of colour too, especially green. Until I get the other done and new glasses for the pair, I am stuck with my previous ones, which are not quite right for either eye :-(

Varifocals - Engineer Andy

But I'm now finding some close up DIY and spannering tasks are becoming harder.

That's perfectly normal. As you grow older, your distance vision remains same but nearer vision power goes up (reading glasses section).

One option is to take your glasses off for closer focus ranges. Alternatively, get your eyes checked and upgrade your glasses.

I need to do it every 3 years or so.

I've tried that method and it rarely works - the 'near distance' vision without my glasses on is too weak to view properly and having to be in a psoition to put the glasses back on again, take them when reforcing on mid and longer range objects. Very difficult with DIY, especially in hard-to-get-to areas like under the sink plumbing, etc.

Still a problem even after having (and getting used to) a new pair of varifocals. I suppose it's a compromise you either have to put up with, or you choose surgey or separate glasses, which in some circumstances can be just as bad as just taking them off.

My (now 80yo) dad couldn't get used to them when he tried them about 10 years ago, and only used bifocals; my mum (who appears to have similar sight as me) hadn't ever had a problem with varifocals, but then she hasn't done DIY etc.

Perhaps a larger 'zone' for the in-focus close-up vision might help, but then you pay twice the price or more for that type of 'special' lens. With the cheaper ones, a good portion is wasted due to a rather large out-of-focus transition zone.

I also find that (nearing 50) my long-distance vision stays roughly the same, but my close-up vision detriorates, which, given the high cost of the lenses and my finding it difficult to source reasonably priced frames I like the design / usage of, is rather annoying.

I used to be able to go 4-5 years without changing glasses, now it needs to be 2-3, just for the close-up vision.

Varifocals - Andrew-T

You need a pair of Dennis Taylor glasses (the snooker player, if that means nothing) made for looking along the cue at table level. Or wear yours upside down ? :-)

Varifocals - corax

I bought some varifocals, couldn't get on with them. I take my glasses off for close up work. It's more of a faff sometimes but I find that the frames get in the way if you're doing something in an enclosed space.

Just don't do what I did, leave them on the ground to check tyre pressures on car, step back......crunch. A trip to the opticians to replace frames. Luckily, a very helpful lady managed to order a duplicate front part of the frame (they are half rim and the cords securing the lenses had broken) and re-attach my side arms and unscratched lenses to it.

Varifocals - bathtub tom

I bought some varifocals, couldn't get on with them. I take my glasses off for close up work. It's more of a faff sometimes but I find that the frames get in the way if you're doing something in an enclosed space.

Just don't do what I did, leave them on the ground to check tyre pressures on car, step back......crunch.

So glad I'm not the only to do that! Do you ever watch 'would I lie to you' and Bob Mortimer's tale of how he broke his dentures? Ditto!

Varifocals - Chris M

When I first posted I wondered how long before Dennis Taylor got a mention....

Varifocals - skidpan

A few weeks ago I was wiring in a new ceiling light fitting, so close up work where I should be looking through the "reading" zone of the lense, but due to looking up to the ceiling, I'm looking through the distance zone until I get my head in the right position to look through the right zone.

To solve this issue you can buy special "tradesmans" varifocals which have a close up area at both the top and bottom, ideal for wiring ceiling fittings. Only problem for us mortals is the price, seem to remember about £400 for the lenses which is fine if you are using them all the time at work but a bit expensive for occasional DIY.

What I do now when access is awkward is buy a cheap pair of oversized readers (Home Bargains do some) with a +1.5 correction (you may need different - my reading correction is +2.5) and wear them over my normal varifocal specs, problem solved for about £2.

Actually using a pair now over my varifocals whilst typing this. +1.0 and no need to get your head into odd positions. Hospital optometrist suggested it, far less tiring than having your head in a odd position and far cheaper than prescription computer specs. Think these were £8 from Asda but the frames are far better than the Home Bargains ones.

Edited by skidpan on 28/08/2023 at 16:47

Varifocals - Chris M

Tradesmans glasses may be a bit OTT for what is a fairly infrequent issue for me, but I'm passing HB tomorrow, so may pop in.

For some reason Skidpan, Griff Rhys Jones comes to mind :)

youtu.be/Jd0twblMeLk?feature=shared

A few weeks ago I was wiring in a new ceiling light fitting, so close up work where I should be looking through the "reading" zone of the lense, but due to looking up to the ceiling, I'm looking through the distance zone until I get my head in the right position to look through the right zone.

To solve this issue you can buy special "tradesmans" varifocals which have a close up area at both the top and bottom, ideal for wiring ceiling fittings. Only problem for us mortals is the price, seem to remember about £400 for the lenses which is fine if you are using them all the time at work but a bit expensive for occasional DIY.

What I do now when access is awkward is buy a cheap pair of oversized readers (Home Bargains do some) with a +1.5 correction (you may need different - my reading correction is +2.5) and wear them over my normal varifocal specs, problem solved for about £2.

Actually using a pair now over my varifocals whilst typing this. +1.0 and no need to get your head into odd positions. Hospital optometrist suggested it, far less tiring than having your head in a odd position and far cheaper than prescription computer specs. Think these were £8 from Asda but the frames are far better than the Home Bargains ones.

I'd thought about that sort of solution before, especially as my really long distance vision and moid range isn't that different, but it's the sheer cost of the extra glasses, especially as how often they'd need changing, and my astigmatism apparently means that the 'standard' shop glasses are no good for me at least.

I suspect that's because all the computer and tablet / phone usage.

Varifocals - Bromptonaut

I got varifocals about 15 years ago after realising that I needed some help with close work.

I'd worn specs for distance stuff since, aged 11, it was apparent I was struggling to see the blackboard from my perch at the back of the form room. OK with them for reading and using a computer screen. In practice though form around 45 on I was pushing them up over my forehead and resting them on my hair to (eg) read the paper on the train.

The 'reveal' was when a similarly afflicted colleague asked me to reset the date on a die in the office franking machine. Managed it in the end but more by feel then luck.

Adapted to varifocals OK but reading with them got more difficult. In part I thin that was down to a staff member at Boots who set them up badly - too busy talking about her daughter who'd had a brief dalliance with my son. Got in the habit of taking them off to read documents and I've no need for the mid range bit with a screen, even the smallest laptop. I did though find client's phones, upon which many had documents about they needed advice, a nightmare only partially ameliorated by contact lenses.

Odd bits of close work - soldering was one - are a problem but only once in a blue moon.

Nowadays I only wear them for driving, cycling and the odd other thing out of doors.

Usually, if not on my nose, they're on the desk by my PC. But if they're not a mad scrabble ensues if, like today taking the 'lingo for the MoT, I need to be out of the house promptly with them. This morning they were in the kitchen, no unknown for me to use thespres that live in the car.

I need the close-up part for reading, otherwise I had to bring whatever I was trying to read to about 6in from my eyes, which in many circumstances isn't practical or ergonomic. I actually find it worse using the varifocals to use on my PC (screen about 30-40cm away) as the -mid-range' area is too small, so I have to keep moving my head rather than just my eyes, which is annoying.

To get the 'larg-est' area for that, you have to add another £100 to the lens cost, not so bad if you rarely change glasses and/or money isn't an issue.

I presume you cannot get them for contact lenses, given you don't know where the 'bottom' is exactly...

Varifocals - skidpan

I need the close-up part for reading, otherwise I had to bring whatever I was trying to read to about 6in from my eyes, which in many circumstances isn't practical or ergonomic. I actually find it worse using the varifocals to use on my PC (screen about 30-40cm away) as the -mid-range' area is too small, so I have to keep moving my head rather than just my eyes, which is annoying

That is exactly the issue I have always found with varifocals and PC's since 1998 when I had my first pair. Using off the shelf readers on their own is not a solution since my left eye is pretty much no prescription but my right eye has a astigmatism which needs about a 1dioptre correction. I bought a pair of £16 prescription single vision specs earlier this year with a +1.5 correction for computer use and they are great but only on my laptop. Using my desktop I need to sit far too close to the bigger screen than is comfortable which is why I bought a pair of +1 correction off the shelf readers which I wear over my varifocals. The varifocals give me the astigmatism correction and the +1 from the readers mean I have no issue with a too small in focus area.

Best £2 I spent.

Varifocals - Bromptonaut

I need the close-up part for reading, otherwise I had to bring whatever I was trying to read to about 6in from my eyes, which in many circumstances isn't practical or ergonomic. I actually find it worse using the varifocals to use on my PC (screen about 30-40cm away) as the -mid-range' area is too small, so I have to keep moving my head rather than just my eyes, which is annoying.

To get the 'larg-est' area for that, you have to add another £100 to the lens cost, not so bad if you rarely change glasses and/or money isn't an issue.

I presume you cannot get them for contact lenses, given you don't know where the 'bottom' is exactly...

Last couple of times I've use Ray Ban frames in an aviator/teardrop style. Probably cost more but I don't change them that often.

Contact lenses were soft disposables described as multifocals. One was optimised for distance the other more towards close work. They were OK, particularly in meetings where swapping between documents and screen/folks at the other end of the room were concerned.

Since the pandemic I've been wholly on phones or webchat and just sit at a desk, glasses off and use the screen. I'm lucky that I can manage ordinary print in textbooks etc without specs or similar.

Last couple of times I've use Ray Ban frames in an aviator/teardrop style. Probably cost more but I don't change them that often.

Contact lenses were soft disposables described as multifocals. One was optimised for distance the other more towards close work. They were OK, particularly in meetings where swapping between documents and screen/folks at the other end of the room were concerned.

Since the pandemic I've been wholly on phones or webchat and just sit at a desk, glasses off and use the screen. I'm lucky that I can manage ordinary print in textbooks etc without specs or similar.

I've found it very hard to find the 'right frames' in the style I like and that works for me - I prefer the 'rounded off rectangular' type, not the '1980s' huge glasses, but also not the 'aviator' type - in between. few opticians stock them (sometimes Specsavers do, but they seem to disappear every few years, then you don't get the offers for a reglaze).

A couple of Ray-Bans with the style I like found online and sold via Vision Express stores was the next closest, one was discotinued. Very difficult to find a store with them to try on - most don't stock them and would charge a fee to 'get them in', plus my travel costs.

No value offers in the latter (I'd end up paying twice the price I have been in Specsavers), and I'm rather wary of online sellers given the need for adjustments and being able to send back / get refunds if you're not happy.

My last pair opf glasses were an eBay sourced identical (new) pair of the same frames as my previous Specsaver ones, presumably unsold stock when they were discontinued. I would've bough a job lot to somewhat overcome the problems, sadly only one available.

Varifocals - Bromptonaut

@Engineer Andy,

Before the RayBans, which seem to be a long standing design available world wide, I had a similar Boots design. Next time I needed a new pair that had, of course, been discontinued. Cost to reglaze existing frames was something like 50% more than new frame and lens.

Found one that did the job but not as well as the predecessor or current Ray Bans.

Varifocals - alan1302

You can get varifocal contacts now:

How Multifocal/Varifocal Contact Lenses Work | Vision Express

If you can - go for the best lenses you can with glasses - they are worth the extra cost and minimise any issues.

Varifocals - mcb100
Exactly the same here - I couldn’t see to swap an interior light bulb the other day.
My excuse is that I’ve had my current specs way longer than I should have done.
I do a proper old person impression on Zoom calls, having to peer out the bottom of my glasses.
Varifocals - Chris M

As I mentioned up thread I popped in to Home Bargains and picked up a pair of readers - £1.49 outrageous! I'll see how I get on.

When I was last at work 8 years ago, I had a pair of bifocals set for reading (file on desk) and computer screens (we had a pair set to the correct arms length and height). My employer was very good at H&S and eye testing.

Varifocals - Adampr

Contact lenses are the answer. They're pretty cheap to just have a few sets of dailies hanging around that you can stick in your eyes when you need them. Plenty of varifocal options.

Varifocals - skidpan

Contact lenses are the answer. They're pretty cheap to just have a few sets of dailies hanging around that you can stick in your eyes when you need them. Plenty of varifocal options.

I would love to use contacts but with a -1.0 astigmatism in my right eye (the one with Glaucoma) its not an option. Its not possible to position the contacts at the correct angle to correct the astigmatism.

But they may sort this in time, not that long ago there were no varifocal contacts.

Varifocals - Adampr

I would love to use contacts but with a -1.0 astigmatism in my right eye (the one with Glaucoma) its not an option. Its not possible to position the contacts at the correct angle to correct the astigmatism.

But they may sort this in time, not that long ago there were no varifocal contacts.

I've worn contacts for astigmatism for 15 years. They are asymmetric, so they rotate themselves to the right angle. They're called toric lenses.

Varifocals - _

I have had varifocals for 15 years, but have a spare pait od reading only glasses and a pair of distance glasses. just the cheapest from S***savers.

Does the trick.

I have had varifocals for 15 years, but have a spare pait od reading only glasses and a pair of distance glasses. just the cheapest from S***savers.

Does the trick.

At the mo, Specsavers is all I can afford. When I looked this time last year, the cheapest varifocal pair in the style I want (nothing flashy) and with the 'reactions' type lenses (plus the usual scratch resistant coating) would cost a minimum of 50% more, and that was with me having my (one and only pair of glasses [now no longer made / sold by Specsavers]) previous but one pair (same style) reglazed (no offers allowed).

I've (hopefully) been fortunate once again, as I just managed to find a 'shop' (as the ones you try on) pair in that exact style on eBay for £15, and so fingers crossed the shop are still willing to reglaze them as before.

Proverbially kicking the can down the road for 2-4 years again. My luck in this regard will run out soon - hopefully the style of frames I like will come back into fashion again...yeah right.

Varifocals - Big John

I've had varifocals for a decade since I was about 50 and generally get on with them well for most circumstances but I've discovered a couple of issues:-

• They are a compromise blurring at the extremities - I eventually realised this was affecting night driving on my commute as the road edges were effectively slightly blurred out! Sorted with the Superdrive lens recommended by a Specsaver optician - wow!
  • I was told by my chiropractor to use single vision glasses when working at a computer screen (my career) as using varifocals can give you neck problems.
  • Close up activities such as soldering require suitable reading glasses (I can't remove glasses for this as I'm long sited).

Edited by Big John on 16/09/2023 at 23:24

I've had varifocals for a decade since I was about 50 and generally get on with them well for most circumstances but I've discovered a couple of issues:-

• They are a compromise blurring at the extremities - I eventually realised this was affecting night driving on my commute as the road edges were effectively slightly blurred out! Sorted with the Superdrive lens recommended by a Specsaver optician - wow!
  • I was told by my chiropractor to use single vision glasses when working at a computer screen (my career) as using varifocals can give you neck problems.
  • Close up activities such as soldering require suitable reading glasses (I can't remove glasses for this as I'm long sited).

3 sets of glasses?! That's not cheap, even if you use Specsavers. My varifocal lenses are of their 'Premium' (a misnomer IMHO) type at £79, essentially the second cheapest of the 5 types. The third ('Elite') cheapest adds another £50 for, in my view, not much of an extra benefit, then the 'Tailor-made' (£159), 'Superdrive' and 'Superdigital' (both £194).

Thr problem I've had is that unless I secure the frame style I like (which I have done via eBay, now twice, luckily), the only ones that get close are in the ranges below £69 and thus they don't qualify for any of Specsavers offers, including free (using the cheapie £39 type) or reductions (£39 off) on varifocus.

The closest I got was using some Ray-Bans with a big introductory discount from one of the online-only retailers, whose varifocals were the equivalent of Specsavers Elites or better but cheaper.

Unfortunately, just as I was going to order them, the frames were dropped from their range!

For PC use, I need my 'usual' varifocals due to needing to see the keyboard key letters/numbers and text, especially as that part of my eyesight has apparently deteriorated more than my mid-range (PC screen, TV or car dashboard controls and dials) and epsecially long range. Probably casued by me using my PC and tablet / smartphone a lot as well as getting towards 50.

Varifocals - Big John

3 sets of glasses?! That's not cheap, even if you use Specsavers. My varifocal lenses are of their 'Premium' (a misnomer IMHO) type at £79, essentially the second cheapest of the 5 types. The third ('Elite') cheapest adds another £50 for, in my view, not much of an extra benefit, then the 'Tailor-made' (£159), 'Superdrive' and 'Superdigital' (both £194).

Yup, it's not cheap especially buying the Superdrive - however required now i'm in my 60's. After many years of varifocal use these have been a revelation. Fortunately I've now retired so single vision glasses for working on a computer screen are no longer required although these were usually the cheapest possible and funded by my (ex)employer anyway. Re closeup glasses for soldering etc I just use cheap off the shelf reading glasses.

Edited by Big John on 18/09/2023 at 00:32

Yup, it's not cheap especially buying the Superdrive - however required now i'm in my 60's. After many years of varifocal use these have been a revelation. Fortunately I've now retired so single vision glasses for working on a computer screen are no longer required although these were usually the cheapest possible and funded by my (ex)employer anyway. Re closeup glasses for soldering etc I just use cheap off the shelf reading glasses.

I was under the impression that the difference between the Tailor-made and Superdrive variants is that the latter has a ultraclear 'superclean treatment, and that the mid and far distance lens quality is the same, the near being a bit less.

My eyes also don't adjust quickly to significant / quick changes in light levels, and I've found that the 'reactions' lense type often aren't good enough for my needs.

For me, polarised is far better for bright light outside, but of course they cannot be turned back to clear or be used (despite the light level) in early evenings (sun too low), which is why I went the reactions route several years ago.

As regards close-up work (reading etc), my varifocals are ok unless you need to look through the top of the glasses (i.e. up).

I remember it being a right pain in the backside when I was doing some home plumbing (installing a new mixer tap and needed to get in my tiny cupboard under the kitchen sink to do so) a year or two ago and could only see in focus one part of what I was doing.

Unfortunately I cannot afford multiple glasses all with different lenses, especially as my (near vision especially) sight has changed sufficiently in the last 6 years or so to warrant new glasses every 2-3 years.

Even when I was working, none of my employers would ever contribute to that sort of cost, at most they might (one did, none of the others) pay for an annual sight test, which is now free for me as my mum as glaucoma.

Even before 2020, glasses were never really 'cheap' unless you has single vision lenses and preferably no astigmatism, which rules out most people over 35-40.

Varifocals - skidpan

I had Specsavers Tailor made varifocals from about 2010 through to 2019. Found them better (and cheaper) than the proprietary brands I had bought previously. Wife had them as well and like me found them every bit as good as the Essilor lens' she had used.

In early 2019 I had the cataract in my right eye sorted with the option of getting the left eye done as well despite not having a cataract. Decided to leave it a while so once I had the all clear to get new specs I bought 2 pairs of tailor made vari's (one clear, one lightish tint) which cost about £300 from memory. When late spring arrived I soon discovered that the tint was insufficient on sunny days despite being fine before the op so back to order a pair of darker tints. Only needed one pair so no bargain 2nd pair at a cost of about £250 (always used the same £69 frame), decided to leave it and bought a pair of fit overs from the local garden centre. They worked fine but looked a bit naff and then a chance discussion whilst walking the dog resulted in me going to Asda opticians. Frame from the £45 all in range which included 1.6 thin lenses, coatings and tint, the computer decides which the best type of varifocal is best for your prescription. Did not expect miracles at the the price but sufficient to say I have never bought Specsavers varifocals again.

Early this year following my 2nd cataract surgery late last year I bought 2 pairs of varifocals from Asda (one with photochromic lens') and as before they are great. In truth the photochromic is not as good as Specsavers equivalent but its good enough most of the time. Total cost of the 2 pairs was £139.

Next time I will probably have a clear pair, a pair with 45% tint and a pair with 75% tint instead, that will cost £135.

Still buy a pair of reading and computer specs from Specsavers £16 all in range, perfect for what I need.

Edited by skidpan on 18/09/2023 at 14:31

Varifocals - shauncwalsh

I've used varifocals for a long time. The best combination I have found is a frame that allows for a good top to bottom distance so that the reading, intermediate and distance areas aren't too small together with Zeiss high refractive index glass lenses. I've tried plastic lenses but the image quality, especially at the edges, was nowhere near as good. The Zeiss lenses are about £600 a pair but worth the extra cost.

Varifocals - skidpan

Zeiss high refractive index glass lenses.

Are you mad. If you have an accident when using a glass lens it will potentially cause you to loose an eye. Plastic lenses are much safer.

But to be totally honest I would be stunned if Zeiss lenses are made of glass.

Varifocals - shauncwalsh

Yes they are definitely glass, much heavier and more scratch resistant than plastic. Been wearing glass lenses for over 60 years, nothing else was available in the 1960s. Optical qualities of plastic lenses still don't match those of glass lenses.

I've used varifocals for a long time. The best combination I have found is a frame that allows for a good top to bottom distance so that the reading, intermediate and distance areas aren't too small together with Zeiss high refractive index glass lenses. I've tried plastic lenses but the image quality, especially at the edges, was nowhere near as good. The Zeiss lenses are about £600 a pair but worth the extra cost.

IMHO that sort of cost is only worth it if your prescription rarely changes and you don't have varied or very specific (read contradictory) requirements for the choice of glasses - both lens and frame type.

As in my view the reactions lenses don't change from clear to 'dark' quickly enough, if (sometimes) at all, or that dark, despite the ambient light level outside, then I need either an additional or different lens to cope with this.

At present, I am using an old-style 'clip-on' set of (plastic) polarising lenses I bought from Boots for about £13 whilst on holiday in 2022. As they can 'flip up', it means I can use them for driving over the top of my existing reactions / varifocal glasses.

The extra weight and that they push the glasses forward away from my face means I need to wear a 'surfer' glasses headband, which actually works very well, so the glasses don't slip down my nose (especially if it's hot and/or I'm exercising [e.g. cycling] and sweating).

That headband is also very good when cycling, although I've found my field of vision at the top is restricted too much and thus I have to make do with just the glasses and not the clip-ons.

Varifocals - Big John

I was under the impression that the difference between the Tailor-made and Superdrive variants is that the latter has a ultraclear 'superclean treatment, and that the mid and far distance lens quality is the same, the near being a bit less.

Not quite - I have both (2 for 1 deal!) but my Tailor made lenses have reaction lenses. If you compare the two lenses they are also different in a few ways:-

1) Holding the lenses up and comparing the Tailor made still "slopes" off slightly at the edges but the Superdrive is flat full left to right - if that makes sense. Peripheral vision remains more in focus. Where it's really noticeable is at the cinema of all things!

2) The Superdrive lens curves a bit more horizontally "wrapping" around the eyes better (I have both lenses mounted in nearly the same frames - but one black, one silver)

3) The Superdrive filters out a bit of Blue reducing glare of modern headlights.

Next time for me it'll be Superdrive for both (one with reactions) - if they have the 2 for 1 deal.

Edited by Big John on 19/09/2023 at 00:00

Not quite - I have both (2 for 1 deal!) but my Tailor made lenses have reaction lenses. If you compare the two lenses they are also different in a few ways:-

1) Holding the lenses up and comparing the Tailor made still "slopes" off slightly at the edges but the Superdrive is flat full left to right - if that makes sense. Peripheral vision remains more in focus. Where it's really noticeable is at the cinema of all things!

2) The Superdrive lens curves a bit more horizontally "wrapping" around the eyes better (I have both lenses mounted in nearly the same frames - but one black, one silver)

3) The Superdrive filters out a bit of Blue reducing glare of modern headlights.

Next time for me it'll be Superdrive for both (one with reactions) - if they have the 2 for 1 deal.

As I understand it (please correct me if this is not so), the Superdrive lenses should only be used for driving and not for anything else. Rather like polarising lenses should not be used as the sun is just coming up / goes down as the way they work will significantly inhibit vision, due to the angle of the sun.

The problem for me is that none of the frames I can remotely get on with (I also don't like many modern styles, and also find most are either too large, small or easily slip down my nose as they cannot be adjusted) are in the £69+ ranges, and thus don't qualify for the 'deals' like 2 for 1 or money of X or Y.

Ironically, this means (including for those who aren't well off) that it often costs more to use the cheap frames than the more expensive ones, but comfort / ergonomics is, to me, the most important aspect.

When I first started using varifocals and could select from the £69 frames, I ended up paying around the £150 - £170 mark. Now, with the 'ractions' and c'lose-ups' issues, I find that I may need to be spending around double that minimum to get exactly what I need. I'll probably end up having a 'reglaze' on my 'new' eBay pair or older set, prbably paying between £175 - £200. I was lucky this time at how much i needed to pay for the 'slightly used' frames.

Annoyingly for me, none of the other opticians (shops) I have access to do anything near what I want at what I consider to be a reasobale cost (my actual prescription isn't that strong, nor do I need the thin/light lenses or other special coating, aside from better reactions ones). There used to be an Asda optician locally, but they didn't get much business and closed, the part of the store now devoted to clothing.

Varifocals - Big John

The Superdrive is still a full varifocal with distance through to reading.

I was worried the reading part would be inferior which is why I got both types on the two for one. In reality they have been great for everything and I only use the hybrid ones when the sun is out now as they have reactolite lenses.

Varifocals - skidpan

are in the £69+ ranges, and thus don't qualify for the 'deals' like 2 for 1 or money of X or Y.

The 2 for 1 and other offers only apply to the £69 and over ranges.

When I buy reading and computer specs I chose from the £16 range, get 2 pairs for £32 but only need basic single vision lenses.

II'll probably end up having a 'reglaze' on my 'new' eBay pair or older set, prbably paying between £175 - £200. I was lucky this time at how much i needed to pay for the 'slightly used' frames.

Beware, reglazing can be expensive. Last time I did that at Specsavers it cost me more than a new frame with lenses and only realised my mistake too late.

are in the £69+ ranges, and thus don't qualify for the 'deals' like 2 for 1 or money of X or Y.

The 2 for 1 and other offers only apply to the £69 and over ranges.

When I buy reading and computer specs I chose from the £16 range, get 2 pairs for £32 but only need basic single vision lenses.

The problem for me is that I nead the mid and near vision for using a PC. It's why I went from single vision to varifocals in the first place. I still need the (sufficiently different) mid and far vision varifocals for driving

That would mean still getting two pairs of varifocals, which isn't cheap, especially if I go for the lens variants above the £79 type and add some kind of reactions to the 'driving' pair.

Just my bad luck I suppose, although my prescription was previously cheap (often under £100 total for years) when I had single vision lenses with reactions only.

II'll probably end up having a 'reglaze' on my 'new' eBay pair or older set, prbably paying between £175 - £200. I was lucky this time at how much i needed to pay for the 'slightly used' frames.

Beware, reglazing can be expensive. Last time I did that at Specsavers it cost me more than a new frame with lenses and only realised my mistake too late.

It was more expensive the last time I changed my prescription 3 years ago, by about £20. I would gladly use some of the £69 or £89 frames if they suited me. Again, what suits me aesthetically and ergonomically seems to be unfashionale at the moment.

At best (my previous pairs) only one style was suitable, and now that is out of production at Specsavers. I've only seen anything close (two Ray-Ban frame styles) to what I like at Vision Express, but with the specification I need, the overall cost would be well in excess of £300.

I might go some alternatives if my prescription that previously only changed every 5-6 years started changing sufficiently every 2-3. Maybe in this day and age I'm expecting too much for too little.

Varifocals - skidpan

and add some kind of reactions to the 'driving' pair.

Totally pointless, modern reactions do not darken inside a car ( the ones I had in the 1970's did). You can get "driving" photochromics that supposedly work (at a price) but the ones I have seen are only available with single vision lenses.

and add some kind of reactions to the 'driving' pair.

Totally pointless, modern reactions do not darken inside a car ( the ones I had in the 1970's did). You can get "driving" photochromics that supposedly work (at a price) but the ones I have seen are only available with single vision lenses.

My existing pair and all the previous Specsavers ones using their reactions lenses do 'go dark' when I' driving if the sun is generally shing towards the front windscreen, though they don't go that dark generally. Occasionally when the sun is from the side, only half the lens 'goes dark' which is disconcerting to say the least.

Whether mine go dark at all is because I drive an older (2005 build) car which might not have a UV-resistant coating on the windsceen, I don't know. Whatever the case, the clip-on polarised lenses are a useful addition, and I can flip them up easily when going through a tunnel or whenever the light level isn't quite as bright.

I always need to be careful in summer not to apply sun cream too near my eyes as doing so appears to engender an alergic /irritant response which make my eyes even more affected by bright light than usual. That's why I had to buy them on holiday last year.

Varifocals - skidpan

My existing pair and all the previous Specsavers ones using their reactions lenses do 'go dark' when I' driving if the sun is generally shing towards the front windscreen, though they don't go that dark generally. Occasionally when the sun is from the side, only half the lens 'goes dark' which is disconcerting to say the least.

Whether mine go dark at all is because I drive an older (2005 build) car which might not have a UV-resistant coating on the windsceen, I don't know.

I had photochromics back in the 70's and they did darken in the car (and on coaches) but they were very expensive and after a couple of pairs I went back to sun clips when needed.

Got my next pair from Specsavers in the late 90's when they were in a "free" offer. Very disappointed when they did not work in the car, bought prescription tinted ones after that.

Have had and currently have a pair of Asda photochromics since whilst useless in the car, at only £49 extra they are worth having even though they never go really dark even in bright sunlight. Have some really good fitovers for that www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09TT18Y49?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_...1 Also have the black pair for really bright days.

Wife has Specsavers photochromics which are also totally useless in the car, she uses fitovers when needed.

Varifocals - Maxime.

Broke expensive specs, and broke too, financially, but founf Asda and specsavers have a £15 single vision range, and asda do a £45 pair of varifocals with the coatings.

Varifocals - honestjones

I’ve been using my cheap varifocal lens for over 2 years now. Mine is not broken yet, but I plan to get another pair and use my old frames to save money later this year.

Varifocals - skidpan

I’ve been using my cheap varifocal lens for over 2 years now. Mine is not broken yet, but I plan to get another pair and use my old frames to save money later this year.

That does not work out cheaper.

Buying a pair of varifocals in frames from ASDA at £45 all in is the cheapest way out there.

Some years ago before I discovered ASDA I had a good frame reglazed with new varifocal lenses at Specsavers to save money. The lenses were approx, £150, the coatings another £50 and the reglaze fee about £15, so over £200.

That does not work out cheaper.

Buying a pair of varifocals in frames from ASDA at £45 all in is the cheapest way out there.

Some years ago before I discovered ASDA I had a good frame reglazed with new varifocal lenses at Specsavers to save money. The lenses were approx, £150, the coatings another £50 and the reglaze fee about £15, so over £200.

Reglazing is also more expensive at Specsavers as well, because you don't get any of their 'offers', which only apply when you buy new frames with the new lenses and from the £69 and above ranges. I had to get that done because I couldn't find any frames currently on sale I liked, didn't cost a fortune (overall) or were in a shop that I could easily reach.

My varifocal prescription wasn't correct, and had to get a second eye test and redo on the lenses. To be fair to my local Specsavers, they didn't quibble at all, arranging it all quickly and to suit me. Far better now and at no cost to myself.

Varifocals - skidpan

Reglazing is also more expensive at Specsavers as well

Read my post again, Specsavers was where I had the re-glazing carried out. ASDA do not do re-glazing since all their optical work is carried out in the far east.

Top marks to Specsavers in one respect. After I had had the 2nd Cataract done I needed a temporary Plano lens for my left in an old frame (Specsavers) just to get me to the date 2 months later when the hospital would carry out an eye test (they were single vision lenses and the right lens was my current prescription. Took them in one Friday afternoon 3 days after my op and they said to sit in the cafe opposite whilst they sorted them, charged me £19. Bit of a rip off really when you consider a new pair with 2 prescription lenses would have only cost me £15 but they would have taken about a week.

Varifocals - Chris M

"ASDA do not do re-glazing since all their optical work is carried out in the far east."

That surprises me. I've only ever bought specs from Asda since I started needing them around 20 years ago. They usually quote a couple of weeks for delivery however, they are usually available for collection in little over a week. That seems very quick if they come from the far east.

The Asda I use has had several of the staff in place all the 20 years and I request the same optometrist if he's available. Any problems are dealt with promptly without fuss.

Edited by Chris M on 16/02/2024 at 17:09

Varifocals - skidpan

"ASDA do not do re-glazing since all their optical work is carried out in the far east."

That surprises me. I've only ever bought specs from Asda since I started needing them around 20 years ago. They usually quote a couple of weeks for delivery however, they are usually available for collection in little over a week. That seems very quick if they come from the far east.

The Asda I use has had several of the staff in place all the 20 years and I request the same optometrist if he's available. Any problems are dealt with promptly without fuss.

Yup, 2 weeks is the norm quoted but I have had them faster. Probably not rocket science, it will be all computerised. Will take no more than an hour to make once they have downloaded the info from the order then it will be on the next flight. At the time of order they make sure which manufacturing plant has your frames to minimise any delay.

Its why they can do for £45 for a basic pair of varifocals with coatings, at Specsavers the same would cost about £105 with a £15 frame. But tints are extra at Specsavers, FOC at ASDA if you want them.

Hate to imagine what they are at an independent shop now, last time I went after my first Cataract (they did the NHS Triage in 2019) they wanted over £500 for one pair of Varifocals and that was the cheapest option. Specsavers is next door but one, how do they stay in business?

Varifocals - Chris M

If I spent £500 on a pair of glasses I'd want them to last 10 years, which of course they wouldn't. I think some people look down on Asda. Whilst they have a "designer" range, I doubt they are what those that want designer, would call designer.

If I spent £500 on a pair of glasses I'd want them to last 10 years, which of course they wouldn't. I think some people look down on Asda. Whilst they have a "designer" range, I doubt they are what those that want designer, would call designer.

I'd bet that a lot of so-called 'designer' brands aren't anything of the sort, just 'badged' and designed / made by third parties with a marked-up price.

Varifocals - Xileno

Very possibly. Years ago I worked in the IT Dept. of a soap company where one of their basic products was the same as a much more expensive version for one of the prestigious retailers, the only difference was it was wrapped in colourful tissue and put in a fancy tin.

Back to varifocals - I think i may be heading that way since at night when driving I can see perfectly ahead but if I have to glance down at the dashboard I have trouble focusing on the mileometer or on my TomTom attached to the windscreen. The joys of advancing years...

Varifocals - bathtub tom

I tried varifocals, but couldn't get on with them, so went down the route of bi-focals - brilliant. The only problem I had was glancing in the door mirror. Optician sorted that by getting lenses with the distant section extending down the outside of the whole lens. I doubt if I could get something like that at Asda or Specsavers.

Varifocals - Orb>>

Update.

I have had my Asda varifocals for a good while now and happy. £45...

Have also got a pair of varifocals sunglasses for summer driving.

Satisfied punter .here.

Varifocals - honestjones

Thank you for the tip! I'll have to re-evaluate my choices with this new information.