Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - Dr Evil

In June 2023, I purchased a vehicle.

Before buying, I spotted what seemed like rust in a walk-around video provided by their salesperson. When I raised my concern, I was assured it was just dirt and would be cleaned. However, upon receipt, it turned out to be rust.

The story takes an interesting twist: claimed to have carried out a repair, yet the rust's true extent was hidden. My recent photographs show the rust was never adequately addressed.

1. Misrepresentation: The core of the dispute revolves around the misrepresentation of the vehicle's condition What they called "dirt" turned out to be rust, and their repair was merely cosmetic.

2. Quality of Repair: ....claims to have repaired the rust, but the estimated cost to rectify it is over £1000. This raises doubts about the quality and effectiveness of their repair.

3. Handover Checklist: relies on a signed handover checklist document as evidence that certain actions were taken during the vehicle handover. However, there are concerns that this document is misleading, as it lists actions pre-ticked without proof they were completed.

4. Public Disclosure: There is ongoing debate about whether a telephone recording of my conversation with salesperson should be shared publicly. opposes it, while I believe it's essential for transparency.

The evidence suggests a misrepresentation of the vehicle's condition and raises questions about the quality of service provided . Transparency and accountability are crucial in such cases, and I'm committed to pursuing a fair resolution through all available avenues.

No naming and shaming.

Names deleted.

But how old is the cehicle?

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/09/2023 at 12:03

2018 Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - _

The link for the photos can be posted without the alleged dealers name.

Please alter

Moderator.

I have just deleted the 20 odd naming reviews of a servicing garage where the OP was being asked to delete those reviews by the said supplier who was threatening the OP with legal action.

Edited by _ORB_ on 23/09/2023 at 13:51

2018 Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - Adampr

Reject it and move on

2018 Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - Dr Evil

Please note that I rejected the vehicle on July 2, 2023, following a mechanical breakdown, all while still in dispute over the rust issue with the seller. They have engaged solicitors to handle the matter further, and it appears to be a dead end as they contend that it was initially a stone chip, then a minor blemish, arguing that such marks are consistent with the vehicle's age.

Additionally, on June 7, 2023, just four days after purchasing the vehicle and raising concerns about the cosmetic aspect, they communicated the following to me: "Thanks for your detailed email. I have discussed your concerns with my manager. With regard to the paintwork issues, we are willing to contribute a payment of £150.00 as a full and final settlement."

Regarding the mechanical breakdown, the vehicle was held at a Hyundai dealership for just over two months, during which the manufacturer became involved and determined that the issue stemmed from a blocked CPF due to a manufacturer fault. Despite my rejection of the vehicle, Hyundai requested that I collect it due to parking constraints, warning that they might be compelled to park the vehicle on the street.

Dealership name removed

ibb.co/album/fdVHNT

2018 Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - elekie&a/c doctor
What’s the age of the vehicle and how many miles covered?

Just shy of 5 years and 71000 miles

2018 Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - elekie&a/c doctor
Have you actually made any use of the van? If the dealer has had it longer than you , sounds like it’s not fit for purpose. Time to go legal, I would think.

We've used it from 2 June to 4 July when it experienced the mechanical breakdown, so just over the 30 days for outright rejection. Collected it on Saturday after the repairing dealership advised that they couldn't keep it any longer as it's now repaired and that they are not a party to the dispute. Hence it's now parked in our driveway.

Purchase Date: 2 June 2023

Mechanical Breakdown: 4 July 2023

Date of Repair: 8 Sep2023

Collection: 23 Sep 2023

2018 Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - skidpan

If you did not give the selling garage an opportunity to repair you will almost certainly struggle legally. Whilst it may have been still under the Hyundai warranty any legal channels you pursue will need to be against the seller since your contract is with them.

But if the van is now driving sell it quick and cut your losses.

For context, selling dealership based in Rugby and we're in Scotland. Vehicle sold with a 12 month warranty, manufacturer warranty only covering manufacturer faults as vehicle never been serviced with Hyundai. As the mechanical fault was related to defective part, the manufacturer instructed repairing dealership to carry out the repair. Had it not been covered by the manufacturer, the warranty from the selling dealership would not cover DPF/CPF issues.

In this instance, my main issue with the selling dealership is covering up rust with paint and calling it a repair. The rust was pointed out to them before purchase and they said it was a line of dirt but will get valet to attend.

2018 Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - lordwoody

Why buy a van in Rugby when you live in Scotland?

Unfortunately none were available in Scotland ito year model and price point.

2018 Hyundai i800 - Uncovering Rust - DCmusic

Not sure if it's the same engine as mine which was 2010 (DC4B engine) with 93k on the clock, but I wouldn't have another as mine blew up! Faulty injector seals soot up the engine oil and because of the design you dont have any external evidence. Mine clogged the oil pickup and seized within 10 seconds of the oil light coming on. Cost was 6k to repair so I got rid. It also had rust underneath. Wouldn't have another, which was a shame as it was very practical despite constantly breaking something every 2 months. Not hyundai's best effort.....