Dacia Duster - Parts problen - Leo Marsden

I bought my Dacia Duster in February 2021. Unfortunately it has just been written off due to the companies failure to provide a steering rack for the repair of the vehicle.

I understand there is a global parts problem which is the case with many different car companies. However for my car (which is under 3 years old) to be written off by an insurance company because it wasn't deemed financially viable because of a part which I could have sourced and was quoted £99 delivered does not sit right with me. I have complained to the insurance company (Admiral) their response was sorry and here's 50 quid. I have complained to Renault and I had an enlightening conversation in which he said there isn't anything they can do. I suggested being compensated by Dacia for the three months I was paying the finance agreement and unable to use the vehicle. Their response was less than forthcoming. I asked to speak to the manager and he refused. Unbelievable. I am quite frankly furious about the whole situation and I just wanted to ask advice about what to do next because it is unacceptable I have been left in this situation.

Dacia Duster - Parts problen - Adampr

Why did it need a new steering rack?

I'm sure the insurance company will sell it to you if you want to source the rack and repair it yourself.

Edited by Adampr on 13/10/2023 at 20:47

It was because of an accident. I asked Admiral if I could buy it back but it wasn't financially viable.

Dacia Duster - Parts problen - alan1302

It was because of an accident. I asked Admiral if I could buy it back but it wasn't financially viable.

Is that because there is a lot more than just a steering rack to sort out?

There were other parts needed for the repair but all the other parts had arrived at the garage and they were just waiting on the steering rack. The car was left unrepairable for 10 weeks and then the insurance company deemed it a total loss

Dacia Duster - Parts problen - Bromptonaut

My Skoda Roomster was written off after what sounds like similar damage. It was though a 2011 model and 8 years old. No finance to complicate the situation.

I touched the n/s barrier on an all lane running section of the M1 round Luton. Sc***ed every panel from stem to stern but that was deemed repariable. Only when the repairer insisted on checking steering stuff did the need for a rack come to light. The extra cost of it and fitting tipped it over the approx £3800 value of the car.

The irritating thing was that I strongly suspect the rack damage was actually a different incident, a pothole a year or three earlier.

I could have bought the car for value as was but the sums and being left with a categorised car didn't really add up for me. Somebody else bought it from Copar and did it up, last time I checked it was still MoTd.