Fiat Punto - Squeaking clutch after a while - Daniele Spider

Hello everyone, there's a little problem that happens with my car. It's a Fiat Punto from 2007 bought last year. This is a problem that has always existed since I bought this car, now I want to investigate more. The problem is with the clutch: after a bit of driving, it does a squeaking sound when you both press it or release it, especially when you release it (the sound can be heard from the video). So, when you start the car and the engine is cold there's no sound from the clutch, but after a bit, especially if you stress the clutch (a lot of traffic, uphill starts and so on), it starts making that noise, just as if it gets "tired"; when you don't use the clutch, it restores its efficiency, and there's no noise after a while. Other than the noise, it becomes less fluid upon release. I want to say that, when the clutchs starts doing that noise, other than the sound itself and the less fluidity, it looks like there's no other issues.

Note: when they sold me the car, they put a bit of lubricant when I said that the clutch did that noise, and it has improved since then, but the problem never completely fixed.

What can it be? Could it be a concerning problem? What do you think about that?

Here's the video:

streamable.com/309q2c

Fiat Punto - Squeaking clutch after a while - Adampr

Probably your clutch master cylinder. It shouldn't be very expensive to fix.

Probably your clutch master cylinder. It shouldn't be very expensive to fix.

They told that the problem was the clutch master clynder when I told them the issue the first time. They applied the lubricant and then said that if it kept doing the noise I had to replace the clutch master clynder. If it's the master clynder, do you think I can keep it like that for a while?

Fiat Punto - Squeaking clutch after a while - John F

What can it be?

Pedal hinge - master cylinder - mouse

Could it be a concerning problem?

Doesn't sound serious to me. I can hardly hear anything. Presumably the engine wasn't running so it's not coming from a dodgy clutch release bearing which would be serious.

What do you think about that?

I think I would squirt some WD40 at the pedal linkages. I'd also check there's no clutch fluid leak.

Yes, the engine was turned off. If it's not a serious problem, do you think I can keep like that for the next months?

Fiat Punto - Squeaking clutch after a while - Big John

I had the same issue with our 2006 Panda 1.2 that has similar oily bits. It was the protection valve built into the slave cylinder it can rust if clutch fluid not changed. Made a noise for ages especially when when hot. Eventually on a hot day in a traffic jam clutch pedal stuck to the floor - cheap new slave cylinder (external) fixed it.

I had the same issue with our 2006 Panda 1.2 that has similar oily bits. It was the protection valve built into the slave cylinder it can rust if clutch fluid not changed. Made a noise for ages especially when when hot. Eventually on a hot day in a traffic jam clutch pedal stuck to the floor - cheap new slave cylinder (external) fixed it.

Ok, so I think it's kinda the same problem. During the first days I bought the car, before they applied the lubricant, it happened to me too to have the clutch stuck to the floor, after I used it a bit and right after I parked the car.

How did you change the slave clynder?

Plus, you said that your car kept doing that noise for ages, so it would not be a problem if I kept the clutch like that, right?

Fiat Punto - Squeaking clutch after a while - Adampr

The worst that will happen is the clutch stops working. The work to replace the faulty cylinder will be the same as it is now, so the issue is recovery costs and inconvenience.

Fiat Punto - Squeaking clutch after a while - Gibbo_Wirral

The worst that will happen is the clutch stops working. The work to replace the faulty cylinder will be the same as it is now, so the issue is recovery costs and inconvenience.

And Sods law says that when it fails, it will be the darkest, wettest night, stranding you miles from anywhere with no phone signal!

Fiat Punto - Squeaking clutch after a while - Big John

How did you change the slave clynder?

It's a really cheap simple job as it's an external slave cylinder on the tope of the gearbox. I'd get it done anyway.

Another issue it could be is the clutch fork bushes - bigger job so do the slave first.

Edited by Big John on 16/10/2023 at 20:53

Thank you for your answers guys. Now I feel more relieved about this issue.

Hey guys! I hope you will read this message.

I spoke to a mechanic about the problem and he said that he needs to replace the clutch itself and, if I keep like this, the clutch can break at any moment. It's not so expensive, but it's not even the cheapest job in the world and, after your comments, I never thought I had to replace the whole clutch. He didn't even see the car as I only described the problem, just like I did with you (when I spoke to him I went with another car).

What do you think about this? Should I trust him and change the whole clutch or what can I do?

Here's the video of the problem anyway (I had to upload it again):

streamable.com/yxsmpx

Edited by Daniele Spider on 23/10/2023 at 09:40