Mazda - Car key battery - johnmazda

Just noticed one of my car keys is on low battery. I read that most of them last for a few years. This car is a 2014 model. So do I need to buy a new set for this particular model? I've got a spare so at least I'm good for the moment.

Mazda - Car key battery - gordonbennet

Surely the batteries are replaceable, but you'll probably need a micro philips screwdriver (or a pointed paring knife and risk the boss's wrath :-) to open the battery slot.

Mazda - Car key battery - catsdad

Your manual will tell you how to open the key, any specific change instructions and which battery you need. Size-wise they are usually one of the common “hearing aid” style and are cheap online or in a pound shop, in a multipack. Or if you feel flush buy them in a high street store.

Ah ok yes thanks everyone for the assistance...will look into the replacement batteries

Mazda - Car key battery - elekie&a/c doctor
Stick with known brands . Duracell, energiser, Panasonic etc . Avoid the pound shop specials .

Good point, although I referenced the pound shops I only use them for cheap, non critical applications. For my car remotes I use Duracell bought from reputable online sources. The risk to an expensive car remote of an out of spec or leaking battery isn’t worth taking.

Good point, although I referenced the pound shops I only use them for cheap, non critical applications. For my car remotes I use Duracell bought from reputable online sources. The risk to an expensive car remote of an out of spec or leaking battery isn’t worth taking.

good point about old batteries leaking, a timely reminder so thankyou catsdad, i'll make a point of checking and renewing the batteries in all the spare remotes tomorrow, always keep a stock of good quality plipper sized batteries.

We've all experienced finding a torch or something ruined due to a leaking battery, but i really hadn't given a thought to the same thing happening within a remote costing up to 50 times more than a decent torch!

Mazda - Car key battery - bathtub tom
Stick with known brands . Duracell, energiser, Panasonic etc . Avoid the pound shop specials .

Fakes abound on ebay (other sites are also available). I got some 'Tronic' brand recently from LIDL IIRC. They seem to last longer than the known brands!

Is another option actually buying a new case / fob like these ones on eBay - www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323765873096

Mazda - Car key battery - elekie&a/c doctor
Why do you need a new case ? I thought the battery was low .

Talking of fob cases, one of mine for the Forester is looking the worse for wear, its the single button fob as used on SG9 Foresters of the noughties with the ignition key set in place, ie not a flip key.

It still works perfectly well but would like to buy a new case, whilst the bay of e can supply every other type imagineable (seemingly dozens) i can't find a new single button case anywhere except with used keys, all conveniently photgraphed from the top half view, when its the bottom half which is rubber coated which suffers wear in your pocket.

I'd be happy with a flip case, older Toyota keys are made of cheese and i bought a flip case several years ago and had the blank flip key copied from the old one at the locksmiths, its proved a robust case much better than Toyotas puny effort (in a Landcruiser i ask you), but again can't find one for the Subaru...however i haven't cheked Ali or Temu yet which just might prove fruitful, but if anyone knows where to get a new case i can transfer the Scooby key workings into please pipe up.

Mazda - Car key battery - Metropolis.

In an idle moment I did a google search for SG9 subaru keys, though't i'd hit the jackpot with a post by someone on the subaru forum (assuming there would be answers) asking the same question, till I realised it was (i think) your post! Hope you get a reply.

In an idle moment I did a google search for SG9 subaru keys, though't i'd hit the jackpot with a post by someone on the subaru forum (assuming there would be answers) asking the same question, till I realised it was (i think) your post! Hope you get a reply.

Thanks for looking, there's more key fob patterns for Subarus than you could shake a stick at, how come i end up with the only one that doesn't have a replacement case available.

It's odd as theses things are not usually unique to one model. I know it would be expensive but have you tried the dealer? Another method I find helps is searching google by just the part number. If you have that, then go to the 'shopping' tab items soon appear.

Sorry I should have specified, the Mazda key fob I have is similar to the one in that email link. I can take out the key fine but then that's it. There's no way to take apart the actual piece to replace the battery if that makes sense...

Google “replace Mazda key fob battery” and it links to videos or use your manual. You need to pop the cover off with a screwdriver.

It looks like it can't be taken apart, but it can and it is supposed to.

If you are willing to pay Timpsons replace batteries for a fee and they offer a lifetime replacement service, think it's about £12 or so.