Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech - Issues After Safety Recall Check - Tomasz Pleszka

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice regarding my Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech (2018 reg plate, mileage 46,327). After a safety recall check at Perrys, Milton Keynes, I've had issues and concerns about the servicing and follow-up. Notably, the car has been out of manufacturer's warranty since August 2022. The last service was in April at a private garage, where the oil filter was replaced with a Mann filter and filled with Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30 Oil. Here's what happened.

Peugeot Response:

"We discussed your case with the dealership. The service manager suggests another check to better understand and possibly fix the issue. This would be chargeable. Unfortunately, we can't offer more mechanical help. Thanks for understanding."

Events:

• 8th August 2023: Took my car to Perrys, Milton Keynes for a safety recall diagnostic. They verbally assured me everything was in order, but didn't provide any written results.
  • 9th August 2023: The day after the recall check, my Peugeot 5008 displayed a red engine management light and a "STOP the vehicle" alert due to a severe engine oil pressure fault. The car was rendered undriveable.
  • Later Consultation with Perrys: I reported the fault and was offered another diagnostic, but at a costly rate of £160 per hour. This was scheduled for 22nd August 2023.
  • 22nd August Outcome: The diagnostic identified fault codes P15A1 and P15A8 in the ECU. Perrys suggested a partial engine strip for further investigation, estimating two hours of work, all at the same hourly rate.

Concerns:

• Immediate Fault after Check: The serious fault appeared only a day after the recall check. This raises doubts about the thoroughness and quality of the initial recall diagnostic.
  • Recall Check Connection: The fault codes found are known to be related to the timing belt, the very component the recall was about. I'm concerned the initial diagnostic might have missed or even caused something.
  • Transparency Issues: I received no written confirmation or findings from the recall check. It's especially troubling given the severe fault the very next day. Also, there's no clarity on the belt's condition or how it was assessed.

Given all this, I'm considering my next steps and would greatly appreciate any advice from this community.

Regards,
Tomasz

Edited by Tomasz Pleszka on 02/11/2023 at 18:13

Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech - Issues After Safety Recall Check - Adampr

Tricky one. .

It seems likely that you have fallen victim to the classic puretech issue of the wet cambelt dissolving in oil and clogging the oil pick up.

Presumably the recall was to check the condition of the belt and any fault codes. In your position, I would very much suspect that the codes were checked, but the belt probably.was'nt.

I doubt the inspection caused the issue, but it certainly sounds like it missed it.

I would press the point with Peugeot. What was the point of the recall if they failed to diagnose the exact problem that you had the next day?

Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech - Issues After Safety Recall Check - bathtub tom
The last service was in April at a private garage, where the oil filter was replaced with a Mann filter and filled with Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30 Oil.nother diagnostic, but at a costly rate of £160 per hour.

Does the oil used meet the spec required for the car? What specific spec does the car require, it'll be in your handbook/manual?

The last service was in April at a private garage, where the oil filter was replaced with a Mann filter and filled with Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30 Oil.nother diagnostic, but at a costly rate of £160 per hour.

Does the oil used meet the spec required for the car? What specific spec does the car require, it'll be in your handbook/manual?

I think you're correct and you have to use specific oil (PSA B71 2312 spec). It looks.like Shell Helix Pro meets that specification but ECT doesn't.

Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech - Issues After Safety Recall Check - elekie&a/c doctor
Unless you have used genuine Peugeot parts , including the oil , you’ll be on a loser here . Very much doubt if the dealer will assist you . These have a dire history of wet belt failure and Peugeot will do anything to avoid any warranty issues. Very likely to need a new engine.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 03/11/2023 at 13:19

Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech - Issues After Safety Recall Check - Lee Power

The recall check involves removing the oil filler cap & inserting the official belt check tool through the hole to check the width of the wet belt.

Tool fits over the belt = pass

Tool doesn't fit over the belt = fail

Best thing for a Puretech is not to own one.

Its such an issue that Sealey also have the belt width check tool = VSE5094 if any Puretech owner wants to buy one.

I appreciate the explanation about the belt check tool, but I'm concerned it might not detect wear on the underside of the belt where the teeth are. Given the known issues with PureTech timing belts, how can we trust this check is sufficient? Has anyone else had a comprehensive inspection that includes the underside of the belt, especially after the recall check?

Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech - Issues After Safety Recall Check - Andrew-T

Given the known issues with PureTech timing belts, how can we trust this check is sufficient?

You might ask the same question about any 'check'. Failures of something or other are not unknown quite soon after a garage 'check' (which one has to assume has been done, of course) :-(

I appreciate the explanation about the belt check tool, but I'm concerned it might not detect wear on the underside of the belt where the teeth are. Given the known issues with PureTech timing belts, how can we trust this check is sufficient? Has anyone else had a comprehensive inspection that includes the underside of the belt, especially after the recall check?

The issue with puretech timing belts isn't premature wear, it's that they are degraded by the oil and slowly disintegrate. The bits then block up the oil system and cause.oil starvation and engine damage.

The tool is being used to assess whether the belt has swollen because it's absorbed oil or if it is a later belt that uses a different material.

You could certainly argue it's an inexact science. You could see that it might have, for example, a 90% success rate in diagnosing issues, which is good enough for managing Peugeot's risk, but it doesn't mean it's definitely OK.

I think maybe you need to arrange for an independent engineer to inspect it. Presumably, the belt will have a part number or similar to identify which batch it came from.

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you advise if there are particular qualifications or criteria a garage should meet to conduct this belt check so that their findings are considered valid proof of the belt's condition? Furthermore, could such an assessment provide enough evidence to challenge or uphold the initial safety recall outcome?

I've just received a response from Peugeot Customer Care, and they've directed me to the dealership's service manager for any technical disputes regarding the recall. They've also suggested that I can present a differing mechanic's opinion if I believe the recall has caused the engine problems. In light of potentially taking legal action or making a claim for repair costs and the inconvenience since August 8th, obtaining conclusive evidence is crucial for me. How can I ensure that the second opinion I procure is comprehensive and will hold as legitimate evidence if I need to take this matter up with the Motor Ombudsman or in court?

<< The issue with puretech timing belts isn't premature wear, it's that they are degraded by the oil and slowly disintegrate. The bits then block up the oil system and cause.oil starvation and engine damage. >>

As oil contamination, not belt failure, is the reason for terminal engine damage, might not more frequent changes of oil - not the belt, which I gather is expensive - prevent the problem ?

Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech - Issues After Safety Recall Check - skidpan

<< The issue with puretech timing belts isn't premature wear, it's that they are degraded by the oil and slowly disintegrate. The bits then block up the oil system and cause.oil starvation and engine damage. >>

As oil contamination, not belt failure, is the reason for terminal engine damage, might not more frequent changes of oil - not the belt, which I gather is expensive - prevent the problem ?

As stated above its the belt breaking down that contaminates the oil. Simply by changing the oil you only solve part of the problem, the belt still degrades and needs replacing.

<< As stated above its the belt breaking down that contaminates the oil. Simply by changing the oil you only solve part of the problem, the belt still degrades and needs replacing. >>

Yes, but you are only 'better off' if you install a belt that doesn't degrade - another the same will repeat the problem. Plus the fact (as I believe) the belt change is more costly than an oil change ?

I’ve checked the service documentation, and the oil used was Shell Helix Ultra Professional AP-L Engine Oil 0W-30, which I've been informed is in line with the manufacturer's guidelines.

Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech - Issues After Safety Recall Check - bathtub tom

Why did you think Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30 Oil was used as stated in your OP?

That was my error; I copied and pasted the wrong brand when I was writing this post.